UK pensions

I have just returned from Blighty and I dont know if anyone picked up on Damien Smith, the New Pension Top Dog, has been saying or maybe not saying?

Nothing is likely change that much in this Parliament but after that the triple lock maybe changed as its seen to be to friendly to pensioners as opposed to workers, a few figures are tossed about but not our loss of interest from our savings accounts as per usual!

It seem that pensioner perks may be up for re examination in the next parliament and it looks like the thinking is that those who can do without "winter fuel allowance" etc due to their wealth may have it withdrawn, whilst non of this applies to many here it will worry some that they may fall into the trap, so be aware and watch developments as a lot of Osbornes austerity measures have been halted for the time being apparently, that does not of course mean that the debts are forgotten and the ways mentioned above are on the agenda possibly.

We dont know yet and we wont for a while how our chums in the EU countries are going to be handled during the Brexit negotiations, another elephant in the sitting room.

All we can do is watch and wait and hope for the best, the future does not seem to be in our hands, the world as a whole has the problem of an ageing population and how to cope with it, perhaps we are lucky, it is not going to get better as time goes on is it?

• Like 2

The effects of the EU and other pension bi-laaterall agreements are slowly been eroded

7.23 As is currently the case for people who reached state pension age before 6 April 2010, years of insurance or residence in another Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA) or in certain countries with which the UK has a bilateral social security agreement (for example, the United States) will count towards the MQP. However, entitlement to new state pension will be based solely on UK contributions, on a pro-rata basis. For example, a person with only five years of UK National Insurance contributions who has a further 30 years of insurance in another EEA Member State would satisfy the MQP through the combination of their UK and foreign insurance and be entitled to 5/35ths of the full rate of the new state pension.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/173/pdfs/uksiem_20150173_en.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
This one is doing the rounds on Facebook. I can't really argue with the sentiment.

pension.jpg.c5327bdb494c41751ea9aade086fa0e3.jpg

I can argue with it because it's nonsense.It's nothing to do with working hard or even paying taxes.It has everything to do with paying (or having paid for you) the required level of contributions over the necessary number of years.

A date for your diaries, Chancellor''s Autumn Statement is November 23rd.

New Chancellor and maybe a more fairer approach?

Judging by what the new PM said the Conference maybe, a bit more help for savers and a squeeze on cheap mortgages at savers expenses and end to QE which has not helped our savings wealth one jot.

May says that recently the rich hace richer and the poor have got poorer and she is going to make the UK a fairer society, lets hope there is something there for us then eh?

• Like 2
22 hours ago, nong38 said:

we all know that if the rates for mortgages go up the housing market will collapse so the chances of my/our savings interest revenue returning is virtually nil, we are stuck with amounts now under 1%.

But you won't be getting the medal you deserve, for your/our personal-sacrifice, in reducing the costs for our over-borrowed/over-spending fiscally-prudent political-leaders of recent times !

They dare not let interest-rates rise, or it would screw-up their financial-plans  ...  Gordon Brown would no-doubt still describe this as 'being prudent' ! :post-4641-1156693976:

However inflation should rise, in response to the recent/on-going devaluation in the value of the Pound, and force their hands. :rolleyes:

On 6/10/2559 at 11:50 AM, jayboy said:

I can argue with it because it's nonsense.It's nothing to do with working hard or even paying taxes.It has everything to do with paying (or having paid for you) the required level of contributions over the necessary number of years.

Good point.

You may not have worked hard for the contributions that you contractually acquired.

On 10/6/2016 at 11:50 AM, jayboy said:

You are quite right to argue, but not on the basis stated.

State pension is certainly not welfare, comes from a separate source.

Your taxes and public spending
This shows a break down of how your taxes have been or will be spent by government.

Welfare (25.3%)
Health (19.9%)
State Pensions (12.8%)
Education (12.5%)
Defence (5.4%)
National Debt Interest (5.0%)
Public Order and Safety (4.4%)    
Transport (3.0%)
Business And Industry (2.7%)
Government Administration (2.0%)    
Culture eg sports, libraries, museums (1.8%)     
Environment (1.7%)    
Housing and Utilities eg street lighting (1.6%)    
Overseas Aid (1.3%)    
UK Contribution to the EU Budget (0.6%)    

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are quite right to argue, but not on the basis stated.

State pension is certainly not welfare, comes from a separate source.

Your taxes and public spending
This shows a break down of how your taxes have been or will be spent by government.

Welfare (25.3%)
Health (19.9%)
State Pensions (12.8%)
Education (12.5%)
Defence (5.4%)
National Debt Interest (5.0%)
Public Order and Safety (4.4%)    
Transport (3.0%)
Business And Industry (2.7%)
Government Administration (2.0%)    
Culture eg sports, libraries, museums (1.8%)     
Environment (1.7%)    
Housing and Utilities eg street lighting (1.6%)    
Overseas Aid (1.3%)    
UK Contribution to the EU Budget (0.6%)    

I don't understand what point you are making or the relevance of the tax expenditure breakdown.We were discussing what entitles an individual to a UK state pension.I explained that it was nothing to do with paying tax or working hard, just how many contributions have been paid.

• Like 1
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, nong38 said:

May says that recently the rich hace richer and the poor have got poorer and she is going to make the UK a fairer society, lets hope there is something there for us then eh?

Recently!!! Where's she been for the last 50 years.

Promises of a fairer society come around every 5 years at election time.

Vote for me for a fairer and equal society...........then I'll screw your Pensions and Savings later.

Have you ever seen a poor PM or MP?

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Faz said:

Good one Bill, but have you seen the price of Donkey jackets............not for the poor.

About 50 years ago I used to have one when I drove a coal lorry on my rounds. Coal was OK but the bags were small. Coke was much worse as it tended to rub together and the resulting grit used to go down the collar of my donkey jacket and between my shirt and skin. It was like wearing a coarse sandpaper shirt.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't understand what point you are making or the relevance of the tax expenditure breakdown.We were discussing what entitles an individual to a UK state pension.I explained that it was nothing to do with paying tax or working hard, just how many contributions have been paid.

No discussion, a comment about an image.

4 hours ago, howerde said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but worth a read, got it off Paul Lewis  money website

http://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf

This Guardian article is a limited version of what Royal London has set out in detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/08/how-to-boost-state-pension

On 10/3/2016 at 0:54 PM, evadgib said:

Rather than unfreeze our State Pensions here in Thailand, I fear that the trend being followed by the UK government is more likely to be in the opposite direction.

In particular, I would think it highly unlikely that they would make the negotiation of a suitable social security agreement with the EU a top priority after Article 50 has been invoked, bearing in mind the savings to the coffers of UK plc which could be made through depriving pensioners living in France, Spain, etc of the annual increases.

What would then be to stop them from tearing up whatever few social security agreements remain with non-EU countries such as the Philippines, just as they did in the case of Australia some years ago?

And now we understand that the triple-lock method of calculating increases for pensioners living in Blighty is under threat.

All in all, this is arguably one way of creating a level playing field, I suppose. But one which certainly sounds perverse to my ears and also, I suspect, to those of fellow State Pensioners wherever we choose to live on this great planet of ours.

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Rather than unfreeze our State Pensions here in Thailand, I fear that the trend being followed by the UK government is more likely to be in the opposite direction.

In particular, I would think it highly unlikely that they would make the negotiation of a suitable social security agreement with the EU a top priority after Article 50 has been invoked, bearing in mind the savings to the coffers of UK plc which could be made through depriving pensioners living in France, Spain, etc of the annual increases.

What would then be to stop them from tearing up whatever few social security agreements remain with non-EU countries such as the Philippines, just as they did in the case of Australia some years ago?

And now we understand that the triple-lock method of calculating increases for pensioners living in Blighty is under threat.

All in all, this is arguably one way of creating a level playing field, I suppose. But one which certainly sounds perverse to my ears and also, I suspect, to those of fellow State Pensioners wherever we choose to live on this great planet of ours.

I doubt the triple lock pension will be in operation after the 2020 GE, unless inflation takes off.