Renting A Big Bike In Pattaya

floridaguy

So after having lived in Thailand for years and been to Pattaya over a hundred times, I have never rented a big bike there. Yesterday I rented a scooter for the first time ever. Painless, no hassles, and when I returned it, he didn't even check for damage, just gave me my deposit back and that was it. BTW, auto scooters are a blast! In the US, you are looked down on for riding a scooter, so I actually have never drove one here until yesterday. It was so fun compared to my Steed or my old Phantom. I definitely need to buy one. Anyway...

So I went to one of the big bike rental places on Beach Road and asked about prices. 800 baht a day for the CBR600RR, 1000 for the CBR1000RR, with a discount offered for multiple days. I know all about the jet ski scams at Pattaya and Phuket. So my question is, do they do the same for big bikes? With the little scooter, like I said, he didn't inspect the bike before or after rental, but I did before just to make sure. I have rented many cars here over the years, so I do know to inspect it myself more carefully than they do. I imagine there is a lengthy inspection with the big bikes. I haven't rented yet, but was thinking of doing so tomorrow.

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Friend of mine rented a knackered CBR600RR on beach road to take to the track. He brought it back undamaged but the guy could tell from the tires that it had been to the track. It got ugly and I can't remember how much my friend got fleeced for, but it was a lot...

ive heard stories as well

Friend of mine rented a knackered CBR600RR on beach road to take to the track. He brought it back undamaged but the guy could tell from the tires that it had been to the track. It got ugly and I can't remember how much my friend got fleeced for, but it was a lot...

your friend sounds like he deserved it ,replacement tyres dont cost 800thb so the seller was a considerabe loss

burning the tyres off a rented bike at the track and then trying to leave it back without saying is just dishonest

people wonder why these rental guys are always in disputes and you rarely hear the other side is like what happened here

i never had a problem with renting vehicles,but i always was slighy careful not to drop them or be irresponsible ,i know someone who had a problem but thats with a sponsor so probablly shouldnt be discussed here :)

your friend sounds like he deserved it ,replacement tyres dont cost 800thb so the seller was a considerabe loss

burning the tyres off a rented bike at the track and then trying to leave it back without saying is just dishonest

people wonder why these rental guys are always in disputes and you rarely hear the other side is like what happened here

i never had a problem with renting vehicles,but i always was slighy careful not to drop them or be irresponsible ,i know someone who had a problem but thats with a sponsor so probablly shouldnt be discussed here smile.png

Nonsense- my friend had never done a track day in his life and went out for maybe 10 gentle laps at BIRA. The wear was no more tire wear than if he'd spent the day riding it on the streets, only it's more visible since he got rid of the chicken strips. Hell, the owner should have thanked him for rounding off the squared off tires. But it's Pattaya so of course they caused a big fuss. And the bike was in terrible condition- obviously crashed and repaired on the cheap. Shift linkage was bent making gear changes difficult and there was a nasty shudder in the front brakes, probably from a bent wheel or bent disc. And that was the least damaged bike of all the bikes my friend looked at on beach road...

Yeah I was going to tell that story.....

I spoke to a couple different people along beach road about renting before picking the very clean looking CBR600RR. Most the bikes seemed to be owned by one of two different groups. I didn't want to leave a passport and most won't rent without it. I think he only agreed to it because we were Thailand residents and I was a police volunteer, thus perhaps less likely to do a runner.

I have to admit it was literally a brand new front tire and there was visible wear when I returned it, but ti was by no means ruined after several light laps on the track. It had a pretty bad ring of "fur" on each side and so looked worse than it was. I did not realize until after that it was a rain tire and thus a very, very soft tire. He kept my deposit of 1000B and insisted I pay for a new tire, which was completely rediculous. If I recallI I gave him another 1500B or so only because he was really pissed that I quote "ruined his brand new 22,000B tire". I felt he had at least a 1500B worth of a point but I was alone and ligitimatly concerned of a confrontation with his mates although he wasn't overtly threatening.

We went round and round argueing on the side walk for some time. He was more trying to guilt trip me than threaten me. My plan was to just wear him out. I pointed out that the bike seemed heavily restricted and had some other problems. Eventually he went off in a huff but not before telling me that it was lucky I didn't give him my passport as he would have kept it until I gave him the full tire replacement cost of 22,000B.

Not sure what can be learned from this. Perhaps be sure not to give over your passport, but I am not sure if you will find a place willing to do that.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Ok does anyone know how the timing works? If I rent at 6pm for 1 day, do I return it at 6pm the following day?

Yes, usually it's 24 hours, but every time I ask for a few extra hours I have always been told that would be no problem. Ask first or you will pay.

i never had a problem with renting vehicles,but i always was slighy careful not to drop them or be irresponsible ,i know someone who had a problem but thats with a sponsor so probablly shouldnt be discussed here smile.png

Nonsense- my friend had never done a track day in his life and went out for maybe 10 gentle laps at BIRA. The wear was no more tire wear than if he'd spent the day riding it on the streets, only it's more visible since he got rid of the chicken strips. Hell, the owner should have thanked him for rounding off the squared off tires. But it's Pattaya so of course they caused a big fuss. And the bike was in terrible condition- obviously crashed and repaired on the cheap. Shift linkage was bent making gear changes difficult and there was a nasty shudder in the front brakes, probably from a bent wheel or bent disc. And that was the least damaged bike of all the bikes my friend looked at on beach road...

Actually it was a new front tire. The rear was squared and didn't show any wear from my riding. It was normal compound. The problem was it was a rain tire. Very soft. If it was a normal tire it would have been fine.

...And the bike was in terrible condition- obviously crashed and repaired on the cheap. Shift linkage was bent making gear changes difficult and there was a nasty shudder in the front brakes, probably from a bent wheel or bent disc. And that was the least damaged bike of all the bikes my friend looked at on beach road...

Your memory is better than mine on this. I had forgotten about the shift linkage and shuddering brakes. In retrospect I don't think any of those bikes along the beach were track worthy. Won't be doing that again.

it wouldn't surprise me if the renter actually learned of your visit to BIRA by someone calling him to let him know, often there's a sticker on the bike with rental name and phone number, just saying

and years ago a used to rent the odd bike here from the the lady in soi 13/1 as mentioned above, never a problem

it wouldn't surprise me if the renter actually learned of your visit to BIRA by someone calling him to let him know, often there's a sticker on the bike with rental name and phone number, just saying

and years ago a used to rent the odd bike here from the the lady in soi 13/1 as mentioned above, never a problem

Doubtful. There was one or two other farang riders there besides our group and the only Thai on site was an employee woman that never came out of her office.

Anyway, there is nothing in the contract that says you can't ride it on the track, nor do they say this when you rent it.

I should add I rented a D-Tracker from the beach road once with no issues.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Sorry, I cannot give you any info on big bikes, but I can recommend a lady on Soi 13/3. She's got lots of bikes (Big & Scooters) and I've been renting scooters from her for many years and never, ever had a problem. Her name is Dawan (not sure about the spelling). She's always been honest with me.

If you do decide to rent a big bike, I'd sure appreciate if you post how it went for you.

best to you,

Seeker