500 Cc Versus Crtopion

monty1412

Interested in opinion or data or meld of both re the old 500cc championship versus todays crop of MotoGp bikes and riders.

Just how potent were the 500 cc two strokes compared to todays new bike and would a Doohan/ swanze/ Rainey/ Gardiner be able to compete on the bikes they won world titles on with the new bikes and if they at their peaks were mysteriously bought forward in time and plunked on say casey's and rossi's bikes would they be competitive.

I had read the old Honda NSR's were literally a bucking beast to ride with optimum rev /power range somewhere up in the stratosphere but very very limited in its spread, no traction. anti- wheelie or fuel management control etc.. just how potent were these bikes compared to he new MotoGP ones and how would the champions of yesteryear actually rate today...

i doubt they could keep up with todays techology ,the game has just evolved on so many levels in 30 years

the tires are stickier ,there is electronic assistance ,bikes are set up for every curve of the track specificaly

love to see a race though ,side by side on the same track ,to see how much quicker todays bikes and riders are

people say todays racing bikes are tame enough to ride about town if you be gentle on the gas

the 500cc two strokers nearly go airbourne sometimes whe the power kicks in ......:)

After I passed my bike test many moons ago I went out and bought a 350 LC YPVS and as much as i loved it, I was determined to buy an RG 500 Gamma. I sold the elsie and bought the RG and never shat myself on a bike so much. It was absolutely mental, when that power band cut in you had to hang on for dear life, I sold it 2 months later as i could see what the outcome was going to be if i didn't.

That was the last 2 stroke I bought and went on to several 4 strokes there on. I will never forget that bike and how much it scared me every time i rode it. Never had to respect a bike so much and really made me appreciate how skillful and crazy those 500GP riders were!!

It's impossible to make any correlation between todays riders on 4 strokes and the boys on the 2 strokes, both masters in their own right, though i'd have loved to have seen Rossi racing 2 strokes against Doohan, Gardner, Rainey etc.... MotoGP these days just doesn't cut the mustard for me compared to the old 500GP days.....

After I passed my bike test many moons ago I went out and bought a 350 LC YPVS and as much as i loved it, I was determined to buy an RG 500 Gamma. I sold the elsie and bought the RG and never shat myself on a bike so much. It was absolutely mental, when that power band cut in you had to hang on for dear life, I sold it 2 months later as i could see what the outcome was going to be if i didn't.

That was the last 2 stroke I bought and went on to several 4 strokes there on. I will never forget that bike and how much it scared me every time i rode it. Never had to respect a bike so much and really made me appreciate how skillful and crazy those 500GP riders were!!

It's impossible to make any correlation between todays riders on 4 strokes and the boys on the 2 strokes, both masters in their own right, though i'd have loved to have seen Rossi racing 2 strokes against Doohan, Gardner, Rainey etc.... MotoGP these days just doesn't cut the mustard for me compared to the old 500GP days.....

Ive never ridden a 2 stroke... what is it about the power band.. does it just cut in at a certain rev and its like a door being opened to an Atlantic gale.. is it that immediate and uncontrollable so to speak.

I read that Doohan went back to the higher horsepower conventional firing system as it has more Hp but was forever trying to control the beast...

Ive never ridden a 2 stroke... what is it about the power band.. does it just cut in at a certain rev and its like a door being opened to an Atlantic gale..

Yescool.png You can even feel it on a lowly NSR 150. But it is all about tuning. It doesn't seem to happen on a 2-stroke Tuk-Tuk.biggrin.png

Ive never ridden a 2 stroke... what is it about the power band.. does it just cut in at a certain rev and its like a door being opened to an Atlantic gale..

Yescool.png You can even feel it on a lowly NSR 150. But it is all about tuning. It doesn't seem to happen on a 2-stroke Tuk-Tuk.biggrin.png

some of them must be tuned pretty well ,theres a crazy tuk tuk driver that drives around on the back two wheels working in kao san area ,you wil know if you see him .he has a very loud sub woofer fitted and usualy a few terrified farangs in the back :D

some of them must be tuned pretty well ,theres a crazy tuk tuk driver that drives around on the back two wheels working in kao san area ,you wil know if you see him .he has a very loud sub woofer fitted and usualy a few terrified farangs in the back biggrin.png

Reminds me of that ad when Pierce Brosnan jumps in the tuk tuk and the driver assumes he driving JamesBond and so races away..