Allergic

h90

I am allergic to something. Mostly my nose, a little bit my eyes. I am pretty sure it is something in the air. I kicked already all the flowers out of my office, but no help.

which hospital doc is good in testing such things. I remember from Farangland that they make very small cuts in your skin on the arm or back with possible allergic substances and where the skin gets red, you won the price of beeing allergic.

Who/Where/How much in Thailand??

I am allergic to something. Mostly my nose, a little bit my eyes. I am pretty sure it is something in the air. I kicked already all the flowers out of my office, but no help.

which hospital doc is good in testing such things. I remember from Farangland that they make very small cuts in your skin on the arm or back with possible allergic substances and where the skin gets red, you won the price of beeing allergic.

Bumrungrad Hospital has an allergy clinic.

www.bumrungrad.com

They have a search engine whereby you can review the qualifications of the doctors.

Expect a consultatiion to cost between 600 - 900 Baht depending on the doc (inclusive of docs fee and hospital fee). I can't sday about the tests but the doc can tell you in advance about the cost of whatever lab tests he/she thinks would be helpful.

If your allergy just started and if you're here in Thailand , it might make sense to ride it out with meds first (e.g. Zyrtec etc) as the season just changed and many people -- foreign and local -- show allergic sysmptoms at change of season which subsides aftr a little time. If what you are allergic to is in the generel outside air there won't be much to be gained from testing. By all means still see an allergist but he may well tell you the same thing rather than recommend allergy testing right off the bat. But of course it depends on the severity & duration of the problem.

before you see the doc -- history taking is critical in managing allergies so if you can, make note of where and when it bothers you most. Does there seem to be a difference between workdays and weekends? Any relationship to time spent outside? What in your environment changed when the problem started? (new office? Change in use of aircon or opening of windows? Etc).

thanks sheryl, today in the morning it was so bad that I just went to the bangkok hospital.

I tried already before to find out as much as possible but I could not.

What they found out: Dog, housedust, housedust milb (spelling??).

that makes perfectly sense. Conclusio: if you live dirty you get sick :o

old house.....

Bumrungrad Hospital has an allergy clinic.

www.bumrungrad.com

They have a search engine whereby you can review the qualifications of the doctors.

Expect a consultatiion to cost between 600 - 900 Baht depending on the doc (inclusive of docs fee and hospital fee). I can't sday about the tests but the doc can tell you in advance about the cost of whatever lab tests he/she thinks would be helpful.

If your allergy just started and if you're here in Thailand , it might make sense to ride it out with meds first (e.g. Zyrtec etc) as the season just changed and many people -- foreign and local -- show allergic sysmptoms at change of season which subsides aftr a little time. If what you are allergic to is in the generel outside air there won't be much to be gained from testing. By all means still see an allergist but he may well tell you the same thing rather than recommend allergy testing right off the bat. But of course it depends on the severity & duration of the problem.

before you see the doc -- history taking is critical in managing allergies so if you can, make note of where and when it bothers you most. Does there seem to be a difference between workdays and weekends? Any relationship to time spent outside? What in your environment changed when the problem started? (new office? Change in use of aircon or opening of windows? Etc).

they gave me a couple of tablets, well the thai-style, no backgroundinfo, just different colors.

I told them anyway that I'll not take any medication, instead I'll try to avoid the allergetic thing and what remains will be the inconvenice I have to live with.....

Anyway they recommended that I take the medication for 1 week so my body gets a chance to repair everything first. I'll do that. As it is dust I'll try to clean my rooms perfect. For the bed, I am still thinking whats the best solution to get rid of that....

Did they prescribe any antihistamine?  The local made Chlorpheniramine (Maleate) 4mg tablets only cost 20 baht per 100 and do the job when I have problems.

Bangkok hospital.

look like that: cheap plastic bag:

Mr. Michael.....

Maxiphed (60 mg) Tablett

Take 1 Tablet

2 Times Daily......

Maxiphed seems to be a brand name. But no word about what it is and what side effects it might has and so on.

sounds like a Thailand made tablet.

slightly better than take 2 of the yellow and 3 of the blue one......

not like in Europe where they give you a large paper full with small writing of what may happen and what not....

Anyway I do not care to much, because I just take it 1 week but will change my way of life a little bit to get arrround the allergic substances (home dust, home durst milb, dog).

Good luck I had no dog, else I would have sold it today for the next korean restaurant :o

After some thinking I have big luck, could be worse. I have a friend who is allergic against alcohol breverage. That is really hard, but house dust is not so bad.....

They gave you unlabeled medicine at Bangkok Hospital?  Or did you mean a hospital in Bangkok?  I have never heard of a hospital doing that - thought that was just a clinic thing.

Yes that is a Thai name for Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride and seems to be a common decongestant here. They really should have it labeled with both trade and generic names. My wife takes this from Vejthani Hospital and it is labeled as

"Maxiphel (L) Pseudoephedrine 60mg.tab©(15TAB)

Take one Tablet 3 time after breakfast, lunch & dinner

For nasal congestion"

OK I don't have any nasal congestion and no other congestion as well...

Drop that tablet

The others are

Telfast (60 mg)

1 Tablet 2x daily......

"For Allergy-running Nose-itching"

Do you know something about that?

Got also something for my eyes (only Thai language) but no problems with my eyes so I don't take it.

Yes that is a Thai name for Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride and seems to be a common decongestant here.  They really should have it labeled with both trade and generic names.  My wife takes this from Vejthani Hospital and it is labeled as

"Maxiphel (L) Pseudoephedrine 60mg.tab©(15TAB)

Take one Tablet 3 time after breakfast, lunch & dinner

For nasal congestion"

sudafed is ok for allergies (upper)....

in the tiffy allergy stuff ists chlortirmeton mixed with sudafed like a dual allergy pill...

just found out my partner is allergic (he insists its the cold air but its dust mites, dogs, and straw, feathers etc (he's farmer and has asthma butnever uses meds)... and was given :little yellow pills that are antihistamines (i assume it was chlortrimeton (ahiston in israel)

found a great site in thai with all the dual thai/usa /brit chemical equivalents and explanations in thai ... will list it in separate thread

I think that might be housedust mites?

You need to be washing all your bedding at least weekly in HOT water or using a special miticide to kill the mites if you use cold water.

You need to enclose the mattress and pillows in mite-proof coverings. I buy mine from National Allergy Supply but they aren't cheap if you get ones that will breathe and be comfortable in Thailand. I'm also unsure if the sizes are the same. I'd ask around to see if they are available in Bangkok before ordering from the US. However, the website will give you an idea of what to look for and what products exist to help your allergies.

Yup, you are right!!!

Mites is right.....

Last night/day I had already a big improvement, by turning off the aircondition, opening all the windows and cleaning everything. It seems the old aircons only let the dust float arround.

In our next, new house the floor is made with tile and my working table is steal and glas. so it will be easy to clean, for the bed I'll follow your recommendation and read that all carefully!

thanks

Michael

I think that might be housedust mites?

You need to be washing all your bedding at least weekly in HOT water or using a special miticide to kill the mites if you use cold water.

You need to enclose the mattress and pillows in mite-proof coverings. I buy mine from National Allergy Supply but they aren't cheap if you get ones that will breathe and be comfortable in Thailand. I'm also unsure if the sizes are the same. I'd ask around to see if they are available in Bangkok before ordering from the US. However, the website will give you an idea of what to look for and what products exist to help your allergies.

Yup, you are right!!!

Mites is right.....

Last night/day I had already a big improvement, by turning off the aircondition, opening all the windows and cleaning everything. It seems the old aircons only let the dust float arround.

In our next, new house the floor is made with tile and my working table is steal and glas. so it will be easy to clean, for the bed I'll follow your recommendation and read that all carefully!

thanks

Michael

be sure to clean your a/c filters thoroughly and regulalry, otheriwse they can recycle dust and other allergens through the room. Same goes for your office a/c.

Telfast ( Allegra )

(60mg, 120mg or 180mg Fexofenadine Hydrochloride per capsule)

Google is good for finding medicine names - looks like this is a UK brand name which are quite common here. It should help the allergy.

Cold enough not to use air con now but when it gets hotter you might want to use the 3M brand Filtrete over your normal filters to help reduce airborne dust.

tell me more about the 3M filter, where can I get, how much? :o

Telfast ( Allegra )

(60mg, 120mg or 180mg Fexofenadine Hydrochloride per capsule)

Google is good for finding medicine names - looks like this is a UK brand name which are quite common here. It should help the allergy.

Cold enough not to use air con now but when it gets hotter you might want to use the 3M brand Filtrete over your normal filters to help reduce airborne dust.

Sheryl: I just opened my overhead aircon and that qualifies me for the Nobel price in stupidness. Everything was falling in my face and I can approve, hospital is right I am really allergic against it.....

Even got feel like a little bit asthma or what I think that asthma is like.......

anyway took shower to get it out of my hair, have a bloked noise and sit now outside and drink beer and let the dust be dust.......

For today I finished my experiments :o:D:D

Yup, you are right!!!

Mites is right.....

thanks

Michael

be sure to clean your a/c filters thoroughly and regulalry, otheriwse they can recycle dust and other allergens through the room. Same goes for your office a/c.