Places To Stay On The Way To Chang Mai?

Martin54

hi,

Riding up to Chang Mai in a few days for the first time. Any recommendations on accommodation? Not even sure what town I should stay in! I will have the mrs on the back so I dont want to ride too hard. I am planning on going via route 11, heard its much more pleasant.

cheers

Wow . . .

Where are you starting from ? even what kind of bike would help some.

The ride into Chiang Mai is very nice, as it is also out of town. So may ways to go and they are all nice.

Where to say is hard not knowing anything. 400 km is an easy day and doable from any motorbike, be it a wave or 1000 Ninja. 600 km is not out of the question and I have done 1300 Trat ot Chiang Mai once in a 13 hour day ride.

In riding 10 years in Thailand, on average 100,000 km a year, I have always been able to find a place to say along the way, In my budget, (usually under 800 Bt.) with decent bed, hot shower, TV and more. Do as I do, ride untill your tired and start looking. There is always some nice undiscoverd place right around the corner just waiting to be discovered.

Isn't that what riding is all about ?

Wow . . .

Where are you starting from ? even what kind of bike would help some.

The ride into Chiang Mai is very nice, as it is also out of town. So may ways to go and they are all nice.

Where to say is hard not knowing anything. 400 km is an easy day and doable from any motorbike, be it a wave or 1000 Ninja. 600 km is not out of the question and I have done 1300 Trat ot Chiang Mai once in a 13 hour day ride.

In riding 10 years in Thailand, on average 100,000 km a year, I have always been able to find a place to say along the way, In my budget, (usually under 800 Bt.) with decent bed, hot shower, TV and more. Do as I do, ride untill your tired and start looking. There is always some nice undiscoverd place right around the corner just waiting to be discovered.

Isn't that what riding is all about ?

Thanks for the advice Jeffrey,

Am setting off from Sathorn and I will be on a CBR250. I was hoping to spread it over two days, at a relaxed pace. I was wondering if there is a nice town about halfway and maybe someone knows a nice hotel (<800). Am normally all for riding off into the sunset but not sure how my gf will cope.

Nice hotels in pretty much every city along the way. Depending on which way you go you could overnight in Kampaeng Phet, Tak, Pitsanulok, Sukhothai, etc.

Thankyou,

I will make a note of these places, never been North of bkk so I really dont know my way around

Nice hotels in pretty much every city along the way. Depending on which way you go you could overnight in Kampaeng Phet, Tak, Pitsanulok, Sukhothai, etc.

Thankyou,

I will make a note of these places, never been North of bkk so I really dont know my way around

Look at a map and figure out which way you're going to go, then we can give you hotel recommendations :)

Thankyou,

Look at a map and figure out which way you're going to go, then we can give you hotel recommendations smile.png

I was planning on following this,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Thanon+Asok+Montri&daddr=16.620402,100.447998+to:Route+121&hl=en&geocode=FXS70QAdUHb-BQ%3B%3BFaPRHgEdsgjmBQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&dirflg=t&sll=16.262141,100.134888&sspn=2.546819,4.938354&ie=UTF8&ll=15.326572,104.72168&spn=10.222265,19.753418&z=6

I think you actually posted it

Pitsanulok is a regional city that is large enough to have most facilities you might need - bars, restaurants, sights. Sukothai (Meuang Sukothai, also called New Sukothai) also has a couple of nice laid back bars and restaurants but is much smaller than Pits - and a hugely significant archaeological site 30 kilos further west off your route, called Sukothai Historical Park. No real need for you to go to SHP though as I think the route that has been plotted for you goes through Si Satchanalai, which you should definitely stop off even if you hate ancient temples - very serene and scenic setting with much less tourists than the Sukothai Historical Park. If the idea totally appalls you, you should still ride the road that goes in a 10k circle round most of the temples within that Si Satchanalai archaeological park - if only cos it would be a nice bike ride in itself.

Both Phitsanulok and Sukothai are a bit less than half way and psychologically I find it better to go more than half way in a two day road trip (by car - I'm no biker, but I have friends ... etctongue.png ). That would imply the largish town of Uttarradit (a 50k deviation), the small town of Sawnkalok, or some much smaller town (much smaller!) Sorry have no info on Uttaradit. Sawankalok will have basic resorts and bamboo bars (I've only driven through it - a strung out one horse small town from memory) but no action you would feel comfortable with unless you have lived in the sticks! Sorry to any Sawankalok expats out there - I live close to a town of similar size and know where to have an ok night out, but any visitors from The Soup would think it dead!

Nice bike ride from Uttaradit to Lampang, which the plotted route does some of. The bit you do on highway 101 north of Si Satchanalai looks as though it would be equally interesting, but probably slower (highway 11 is fast even on the two lane bit through the scenic hills north of Uttaradit).

E&OE - just my own opinions. Observations are from 3 years ago by the way.

Talked to a Thai guy on a Lambretta. He was riding two up with the girlfriend and they made Lampun from Bangkok in 7 hours. Neither complaining but lots to see between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Do you have a place to stay in Chiang Mai, I will recommed the Smith Residence, it is south of Chiang Mai Gate which is on the Southside of the old city. They have covered parking for your bike and a security guard, and the cheap room is 590 baht and it will be very clean. You can go on line and make the reservation before departure. Enjoy your ride.

Hey Martin,

See how this sounds...

Ride on a 250cc to Sukhothai is 5-6 hours with 30 minute food stop and ridden sensibly. Boring riding until a little north of this area.

Great to get the straight roads done 1st day and be fresh for the twisties on day 2 w00t.gif.

North of Sukhothai on your route is Sri Samrong. Recently put up some friends at a place called Sukhothai Resort Hotel there and can recommend. No real night-life but quiet place for a good rest. Rate is within your budget. They don't seem to have a website themselves but found them through http://web01.hotelsg...?l=en&code=5601 and http://www.hoteltrav...hai_resorst.htm. Many similar sounding places so get the name right.

By having gone North of Sukhothai (just) on day 1 you'll be very shortly into nice riding roads in the morning. I would agree with SantiSuk that Si Satchanalai is worthwhile. You'll have time. Lovely ride that area and north... Jealous!

Do be alert between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanalok. I believe this to be the 'black-spot' part of your trip. People drive extra bad in this area - must be cheap lao kow. Road conditions vary hugely. Some really rough sections and drivers will brake hard and swerve to avoid the holes. Left lane not good so be prepared for most cars and all buses/ vans remaining in the right lane (little grrr...).

Sure you and your lass will have a blast.

Hope to see a post-trip report.

A.

Edited by andrew55