Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

An interesting article by Andrew Bolt in the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/end-this-disgrace-and-get-on-with-the-game-of-footy/story-fni0ffxg-1226653250191

He thinks we should scrap the Indigenous Round as it "encourages people to divide the world into a white "us" and an Aboriginal "them".

Food for thought methinks.

Will27

Lets see how the gay pride round goes next year.

Which players do you think will be coming out chooka?

I have no idea really, all the topline players from each club seem to have wives and g/f's just look as they walk the red carpet on brownlow night. Who cares if they are playing well. Personally I don't think anyone will come out whilst they are playing. You can already see the racial abuse that goes on just imagine if someone comes out. The bogans in the crowd would have a field day.

Might be a very quiet lap of honour in the cars

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/end-this-disgrace-and-get-on-with-the-game-of-footy/story-fni0ffxg-1226653250191

He thinks we should scrap the Indigenous Round as it "encourages people to divide the world into a white "us" and an Aboriginal "them".

Will27

Lets see how the gay pride round goes next year.

Which players do you think will be coming out chooka?

I have no idea really, all the topline players from each club seem to have wives and g/f's just look as they walk the red carpet on brownlow night.  Who cares if they are playing well.  Personally I don't think anyone will come out whilst they are playing.  You can already see the racial abuse that goes on just imagine if someone comes out.  The bogans in the crowd would have a field day.
It took Bruce Abernathy a lifetime. Now he carries his handbag with pride around Phuket. They are far and few in AFL.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He thinks we should scrap the Indigenous Round as it "encourages people to divide the world into a white "us" and an Aboriginal "them".

Will27

Will27, Andrew Bolt is not a fan of anything Aboriginal. I consider him to have an abnormal obsession with the subject in fact.

In the article you link the main thrust of the article is really an attack against Adam goodes bullying the poor 12 year old Collingwood supporter, subtly trying to blame him for identifying her. Absurd stuff.

The round does not divide whites against Aboriginals at all. Not even does it divide non-aboriginals against aboriginals. I mean lets not forget the millions of Australians who are not white anglo saxon or white European.

It is about celebrating aborginal players and their achievements. It is not about division. The AFL has other themed rounds, this is no different.

Maybe you have a point. I don't know enough about Bolt to make an informed decision.

I just think it gives a different insight to what else has been written.

But, IMO we have so many "themed" rounds that they start to lose any significance.

We already have rivalry, umpires, womans, ANZAC, dreamtime and heritage rounds.

Way too many IMO.

Regards

Will

Maybe you have a point. I don't know enough about Bolt to make an informed decision

I just think it gives a different insight to what else has been written.

But, IMO we have so many "themed" rounds that they start to lose any significance.

We already have rivalry, umpires, womans, ANZAC, dreamtime and heritage rounds.

Way too many IMO.

Regards

Will

You make a good point Will, there is the danger of 'Themed Round Fatigue'. However, in some ways these rounds are marketing genius

Taking a few rounds, we have the ANZAC round, Multicultural round, Women's round, Indigenous round.

These rounds bring enormous opportunity outside the main area of the game for involvement and activity and participation by groups and communities that might otherwise be publicly unrecognised. AS it brings more participants into the game it also brings more revenue opportunities, which in turn brings more money and in turn makes the game stronger. Women, of course, are 50% of the population. Australia is very multicultural, so reaching a wide sub set of ethnic origins is important.

I love the game of AFL, even though I grew up in NSW, a Rugby League state. It is a crowded football market in Australia. Soccer, League, Union, Aussie Rules. Out of these football groups, the AFL does best in reaching a wide audience, and its themed rounds are way ahead of other football codes in their implementation. All 4 codes are competing in some ways for many of the same athletes, so what decision on what game to play the athlete makes in his young years is important to the future of the game.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to the games.

Anyone else think last nights game was

just dreadful?

I know Brissy were decimated but I think

Vossy faces an uphill battle to keep his job.

I'm hoping Freo and Syd get the chocolates

today.

Collingwood should have won that by a hundred.

I'm hoping the Sydney Essendon game will be a cracker this afternoon.

What I like about Freo this year is they look like they can win from any situation. They have a lot of injuries at the mo, but I feel they are a real chance this year to make the GF. Still early days though.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to the games.

Anyone else think last nights game was

just dreadful?

I know Brissy were decimated but I think

Vossy faces an uphill battle to keep his job.

I'm hoping Freo and Syd get the chocolates

today.

Friday night footy took a turn for the worst last night. Granted Brisbane was down on key players. I ended up watching a movie instead.

What I like about Freo this year is they look like they can win from any situation. They have a lot of injuries at the mo, but I feel they are a real chance this year to make the GF. Still early days though.

Good game from young Mitchell on debut.

• Like 1

Good game from young Mitchell on debut.

Great tough game in the wet.

93 (?) Boundary throw ins. The most number since they started recording the stats about 20 years ago.

Goodes influential again, 4 goals, but the Sydney midfield with kennedy, Malceski and Mcveigh outstanding performances. Teddy Richards , a return to some good form,

The Swans midfield is sensational.

Young Mitchell comes in and has an impact straight away.

They just come at you in waves. Syd will be scary when

Tippett plays and maybe Reid might go better when he

gets the second or third best defender.

Ross Lyon has really turned Freo around as well.

They have 3 or 4 guns out as well and will only get better.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Sydney Injury List

Alex Johnson Knee Season

Gary Rohan Leg Indefinite

Sam Naismith Knee Indefinite

Lewis Roberts-Thomson Knee 2-4 weeks

Sam Reid Quad 2-4 weeks

Harry Cunningham Knee Test

Rhyce Shaw Abdomen

Test Marty Mattner Hip Test

Freo Injury List

esse Crichton Hip test

Stephen Hill Quad test

Lachie Neale Ankle 1 week

Matthew Pavlich Achilles 1 week

Michael Walters Ankle 2 weeks A

aron Sandilands Hamstring 3 weeks

Anthony Morabito Knee 3-4 weeks

Sam Menegola Knee 11 weeks

Jonathon Griffin Knee season

Kepler Bradley Knee season

Edited by BookMan

What do others think is wrong at Port Adelaide?They've gone from top of the table with a very good percentage to 11th with a percentage of just over 100% after winning the 1st five games then losing the next five.When looking at this,I feel that theyplayed the 1st five games against teams that maybe weren't at their peak and then the next five against better teams so that might mean that even after allowing for their fitness that they didn't have what it takes to win against better sides and I include Western Bulldogs in that as last night proves.

Edited by Ron19

What do others think is wrong at Port Adelaide?They've gone from top of the table with a very good percentage to 11th with a percentage of just over 100% after winning the 1st five games then losing the next five.When looking at this,I feel that theyplayed the 1st five games against teams that maybe weren't at their peak and then the next five against better teams so that might mean that even after allowing for their fitness that they didn't have what it takes to win against better sides and I include Western Bulldogs in that as last night proves.

My two cents...

I basically agree with what you have said Ron. Port started the season at their top form and had a string of weaker sides to play. They did play very well in most of the first 5 games. The Adelaide win was decent enough, but the WCE were still suffering from injury and didn't have their act together at all. So you could say 4/5 of the first games were against easy/not hit their form sides.

Their first five wins were:

Melbourne

GWS

Adelaide

Gold Coast

WCE

then lost to:

Roos

Richmond

Carlton

Geelong

Bulldogs

My two cents...

I basically agree with what you have said Ron. Port started the season at their top form and had a string of weaker sides to play. They did play very well in most of the first 5 games. The Adelaide win was decent enough, but the WCE were still suffering from injury and didn't have their act together at all. So you could say 4/5 of the first games were against easy/not hit their form sides.

Melbourne

GWS

Adelaide

Gold Coast

WCE

then lost to:

Roos

Richmond

Carlton

Geelong

Bulldogs

Yes thats the way I look at it and by the way congratulations on picking Western Bulldogs as it puts you one more ahead of me. Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Yes thats the way I look at it and by the way congratulations on picking Western Bulldogs as it puts you one more ahead of me.

Thanks Ron! Still 13 rounds and finals to go, so anyone's tipping comp to win

Congrats for Gazman also!

When does Tippet qualify to play, is it next week? Will probably need a couple of games in the 2nds tho.

I think Ross Lyon is probably the best coach in the comp. They paid 5 mil for him so he will want to do something.

When does Tippet qualify to play, is it next week? Will probably need a couple of games in the 2nds tho.

I think Ross Lyon is probably the best coach in the comp. They paid 5 mil for him so he will want to do something.

Round 13 chooka. I think they will put him straight into the team

I agree about Lyon.

Even though he hasn't won a premiership as yet, if I had a choice, he would be mine.

Funnilyy enough, when the Freo board sacked Mark Harvey for Lyon, there was a furore

with members threatening to throw in their membership etc.

I don't hear too many complaining nowbiggrin.png

What a dreadful week to watch football on Australia Network.

Apart from the Syd/Ess game, the 3 others were shocking.

Which I could've watched the Freo/Ade game.

Now just hope WCE beat Richmond tomorrow.

Will be listening via the internet.

Regards

Will

My two cents...

Melbourne

GWS

Adelaide

Gold Coast

WCE

then lost to:

Roos

Richmond

Carlton

Geelong

Bulldogs

Yes thats the way I look at it and by the way congratulations on picking Western Bulldogs as it puts you one more ahead of me.

Bookman is looking like getting another 9/9

• Like 1

I agree about Lyon.

Even though he hasn't won a premiership as yet, if I had a choice, he would be mine.

Funnilyy enough, when the Freo board sacked Mark Harvey for Lyon, there was a furore

Regards

Will

St Kilda had some good years under Lyon. They might feel they should have won at least one GF under him with their team.

I think you are right chooka...St Kilda should forget about this season and be looking to the future if today's game is any indication.

I agree about Lyon.

Regards

Will

St Kilda had some good years under Lyon. They might feel they should have won at least one GF under him with their team.

I think you are right chooka...St Kilda should forget about this season and be looking to the future if today's game is any indication.

The Saints are rubbish this year and listening to SEN talk back there are rumblings starting and the calls for Watters to be removed. Everyone seems to want to turn on the coach when things are going bad. Who would want to be an AFL coach?

• Like 1

The Saints are rubbish this year and listening to SEN talk back there are rumblings starting and the calls for Watters to be removed. Everyone seems to want to turn on the coach when things are going bad. Who would want to be an AFL coach?

Lyon seems to build teams that go to the game plan and can easily absorb the loss of any one player. From on the road games I saw a stat that he has 11 wins from 17 games.

Freo have a great draw for the remainder of the year.

BYE

Brisbane

Kangaroos

Geelong

St Kilda

WCE

Richmond

Adelaide

Carlton

GWS

Melbourne

Port

At the moment the top 4 are Geelong, Hawks, Sydney Freo. I think this is a true enough reflection. Still only round 10 and we will know by round 18 if it still holds true.

Lyon seems to build teams that go to the game plan and can easily absorb the loss of any one player. From on the road games I saw a stat that he has 11 wins from 17 games.

Freo have a great draw for the remainder of the year.

BYE

Brisbane

Kangaroos

Geelong

St Kilda

WCE

Richmond

Adelaide

Carlton

GWS

Melbourne

Port

At the moment the top 4 are Geelong, Hawks, Sydney Freo. I think this is a true enough reflection. Still only round 10 and we will know by round 18 if it still holds true.

Yep, I agree.

I think the top 4 will stay as is. I think there is a fair gap at the moment

between the top 4 and the next 5 or 6.

Here are the results for the round. Bookman the winner 8/9. Sorry mate I spoke too soon (sorry wrote too soon) Well done

attachicon.gifAFL Tips TV.docx

Thanks Rip. Ill take 8.smile.png

Richmond played all over West Coast. hard to know with both teams who exactly if going to turn up on the field to play

Edited by BookMan

Better get my posts in early for round 11....busy later in the week. For myself , I find the Gold coast v Kangaroos a difficult choice. I was going towards Gold Coast but I think North will be more desperate here. They can make the final 8 but cant afford to lose these games.

Essendon

Geelong

Sydney

Kangaroos

WCE

Collingwood