Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

Hi All,

Just a quick note here to tell everyone that they can now get their Mexican fix from Sunrise Tacos directly in front of The Avenue, Pattaya 2nd road. Our mobile truck is now parked there permanently every day from 3pm to midnight. Tacos, Burritos, Nachos and Quesadillas, margaritas are all available. Exactly the same food as the main Jomtien restaurant. Take away, or tables available at the truck.

For all Thaivisa.com members who identify themselves to the staff at the truck, we will offer 2 for 1 margaritas or bottled beer with any food order. Simply let them know you are from Thaivisa.com when you order, and your 2nd drink is on me. Its a cool place to sit, relax and watch the foot traffic.

Pictures here.

Best,

Gil

post-143211-0-00548400-1333603436_thumb.

post-143211-0-84577200-1333603451_thumb.

• Like 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind, where did you get the truck modified like that?

That truck was an interesting project for me, about 6 months design to roll. Toyota long bed Hilux Turbo. Full running water and sink (80 liter tank), full refrigerator, microwave, flat grill, 2 frying pans, a hot well, crock pot, blender, work station, and of course, our taco shell and nachos chip warmer. It also has a supplemental air con on top, and 2 high performance exhaust vents. About 8 fluorescent lights make it as bright as a hospital inside. It has a 220v marine line for electricity, and in a crunch, we can shift over to an inverter and run minor equipmet directly off the diesel motor (but this is really when in a pinch only). A bit pricey. It was built for me by a motor home company in Bang Bueng, if you want to contact him let me know, he is a good Thai friend of mine.

Yes, I am proud of it, but at least I answered your question! :)

Best,

Gil

• Like 1

Great ! this is just across the road from me - do you deliver to Wonderful Bar No 2 ?

What would you recommend for someone who has no experience of Mexican food at all ? I like spicy food and prefer things without lots of cheese.

Edited by londoedan

You should post pics of the inside of the truck along with the menu selection. I know the menu is the same as Jomtiem, but people are lazy and including everything here is a quick fix for us sloths. licklips.gif

It is not the same menu as at Jomtien. It is a subset of that menu. Obviously, they can't do all of the dishes of a full service restaurant from a truck.

Anyway, here is the restaurant menu:

http://www.sunriseta...seTacosMenu.pdf

Edited by Jingthing

Great ! this is just across the road from me - do you deliver to Wonderful Bar No 2 ?

What would you recommend for someone who has no experience of Mexican food at all ? I like spicy food and prefer things without lots of cheese.

Yes, we will deliver to just about any bar in the area, no charge. At the moment, you'll have to walk over though, and order it in person. The logistics of finding a specific person in a specific bar is a challenge. Don't forget - all farang look the same to a Thai! :) Hope that comment doesn't spur another 38 pages of comments like the 1st thread!

Cheers,

Gil

Yes, we will deliver to just about any bar in the area, no charge. At the moment, you'll have to walk over though, and order it in person. The logistics of finding a specific person in a specific bar is a challenge. Don't forget - all farang look the same to a Thai! smile.png Hope that comment doesn't spur another 38 pages of comments like the 1st thread!

Cheers,

Gil

38 pages of comments would be good publicity for your business, I would think. coffee1.gif

You should post pics of the inside of the truck along with the menu selection. I know the menu is the same as Jomtiem, but people are lazy and including everything here is a quick fix for us sloths. licklips.gif

It is clearly NOT the same menu as at Jomtien! It is a SUBSET of that menu. Obviously, they can't do all of the dishes of a full service restaurant from a truck. The owner never said it was the same menu either.

Anyway, here is the restaurant menu:

http://www.sunriseta...seTacosMenu.pdf

Here we go again! :) Excellent. LOL. From the 2nd road location, we offer nachos (chicken or beef, burritos (chicken or beef), beef tacos (1, 2 or 3, all include both rice and beans), and chicken quesadillas. We also have beer, soft drinks, water and of course, blistering margaritas (lemon, or blue).

Best,

Gil

I see the customized burrito and customized tacos with full choice of meats as in the restaurant is not available from the truck. Bigger choice of meats at the restaurant. Not criticizing, just saying, so that people know these are different experiences.

Edited by Jingthing

Nice service for those stuck in boring, old Pattaya.

In trendy Jomtien though you've got the full service restaurant, many more menu options, and of course the world famous SALSA BAR ...

drunk.gif

Somebody once said to me, to make money, stay ahead of the curve. I took this to heart in choosing Jomtien (for better or worse). Have you seen the number of new condo projects coming up on 2nd road and the surrounding area? Its nuts. Yes, our numbers are down now that we are entering the low season, but we are hardly starving to death (at most, a 15% drop off). Songkran we will be packed daily (towels will be required at the door with tight security) and the music festival is right around the corner. We are planning a cool 70s party week, we have some other ideas to to carry us thru the low season. Many thank yous go to our regulars also, we appreciate your support. I am fully committed to the future of Jomtien!

Best,

Gil

How about some fun off season promotions?

One idea. GUACAMOLE DAY. One day a week other than the taco days, offer any guacamole order, full order or add to taco or burrito for HALF off?

Yes, sorry, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the price for guac at your joint to be off the charts.

I bet you if you do try it you will get more traffic on Guacamole days.

Edited by Jingthing

I see the customized burrito and customized tacos with full choice of meats as in the restaurant is not available from the truck. Bigger choice of meats at the restaurant. Not criticizing, just saying, so that people know these are different experiences.

Good point. My general manager though, has just now expanded our meats on the truck to include pork (el pastor) so that will also be available. You can also simply ask us to customize your burrito, add sour cream, extra tomato, less cheese, lettuce, no beans, etc). VERY close to the restaurant version. Sunrise salsa and John's hot are also on the truck. No, we CANNOT being the salsa bar with us folks.

Gil

I am looking forward at vegetarian burrito with uncooked beans and no taste at all, i have never eaten such a bad burrito in my life, thank you, i will order 2 every day

Edited by radiola

One idea. GUACAMOLE DAY. One day a week other than the taco days, offer any guacamole order, full order or add to taco or burrito for HALF off?

Yes, sorry, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the price for guac at your joint to be off the charts.

Fair point. Let me respond. We buy racks of avacodos and each fruit is approximately 43 baht. But not every box yields 100%, about 95% usuable. We then add some tomato, onion, salt, lime (which you know is now much more expensive). On top of this we have overhead - ordering admin, kitchen labor, dish washing, wait staff, AC, electric, etc. We sell a dish of Guac at 90 baht if I am not wrong. Even at 90 baht, there is likely nothing left. We do it more as a service. Some mexican places in Pattaya don't even offer it due to the headaches involved.

Best,

Gil

I am looking forward at vegetarian burrito with uncooked beans and no taste at all, i have never eaten such a bad burrito in my life, thank you, i will order 2 every day

I've never had a problem with uncooked beans at Sunrise and I've tried all their varieties of beans.

Fair point. Let me respond. We buy racks of avacodos and each fruit is approximately 43 baht. But not every box yields 100%, about 95% usuable. We then add some tomato, onion, salt, lime (which you know is now much more expensive). On top of this we have overhead - ordering admin, kitchen labor, dish washing, wait staff, AC, electric, etc. We sell a dish of Guac at 90 baht if I am not wrong. Even at 90 baht, there is likely nothing left. We do it more as a service. Some mexican places in Pattaya don't even offer it due to the headaches involved.

Best,

Gil

That's informative. Well, I tried. coffee1.gif

I'm probably pushing it here, but what the heck, here goes, so in a guac addition for a burrito (90 baht) how many cados in such a portion? (One half?)

Yes, I get you're a profit seeking business ... and I think we all know food costs are only a portion of what all restaurants need to charge. The idea here though was a PROMOTION day to drive traffic, as after all people won't just be ordering the guac ...

So if you got 50 more covers that special day, and made less profit per head than you would have if they had all ordered full price guac (when in reality most would not order any guac at the regular price), wouldn't that still be a benefit for the biz?

Edited by Jingthing

Tried the food at the truck today, ordered the beef tacos and Margaritas. The taco shells had a weird, kind of stale taste and pretty much fell apart after one bite. The beef inside was good and also the rice. The refried beans tasted ok but look like a lump of crap on the plate so I couldn't really eat much of it. 400 baht for the two drinks and 3 beef tacos, and I was still hungry. They said the menu will be bigger next week or something but I am not sure if I will try it again. Maybe I will try the one in Jomtien and see how it compares.

I like their burritos better than their tacos which are of course served in large flour tortilla.

For taco shells, at least at the restaurant, they have three shell options:

soft flour (they hold together but not as tasty as corn)

"soft" corn (apparently made in house)

crispy hard shell corn (I guess also made in house as are their very excellent corn tortilla CHIPS!)

Sometimes the soft corn has a problem holding together and you have to eat the taco with utensils. It seems to vary, luck of the draw. Frankly, more often than not, I get the ones that do fall apart. The flavor, in any case, is good but I agree the expectation is to not fall apart as you eat it. The crispy ones (very Tex Mexy) will crack open, as designed.

Refried beans look like refried beans! Close your eyes?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, we will deliver to just about any bar in the area, no charge. At the moment, you'll have to walk over though, and order it in person. The logistics of finding a specific person in a specific bar is a challenge. Don't forget - all farang look the same to a Thai! smile.png Hope that comment doesn't spur another 38 pages of comments like the 1st thread!

Cheers,

Gil

38 pages of comments would be good publicity for your business, I would think. coffee1.gif

It'll certainly get YOUR post count up!!!

I must ask the owner, i guess he is replying to this post, why he puts uncooked beans inside the burrito, vegetarian version

can you go on a trip to los angeles, and taste taco bell? if you compare taco bell and your burrito, yours has uncooked beans!! for god sake dude, disgusting cream stuff spilled over burrito, the pointo of burrito is that you can hold the dough in your hands

i was so dissapointed, I wonder how you still get customers in your shop, i am seriously, burrito like that was just horrible, sauces were good, and chips too

dude, wake up and wake up again, you are candidate for gordon ramsey, and please taste your food before you serve it, and the servants were looking at me when i was eating, i guess they were wondering how can i digest this food, i tried burrito in bkk, 2 times 2 years apart, never again, the 30 bht local thai food beats it anytime

Edited by radiola

Having eaten in Sunrise once, sorry but never again. I have a major objection to places addind 10 plus 7 percent to the bill. Basically it it is a rip on the numerically deficient in the society --- and lets face it, there are many of these people. It's okay for me, I can calculate these numbers in my head, and can also afford it. Just a point of principle ---- does anybody remember principles.

• Like 2

Keep in mind, under Thai law based on a recent ruling by the Thai Supreme Court, businesses charging a "service charge" MUST distribute at least 78 percent of it to their staff. We can certainly hope that is actually being done whenever and wherever we are compelled to pay a compulsory service charge! In that case, a 10 percent service charge isn't so bad, in lieu of a TIP.

Cheers!coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I must ask the owner, i guess he is replying to this post, why he puts uncooked beans inside the burrito, vegetarian version

can you go on a trip to los angeles, and taste taco bell? if you compare taco bell and your burrito, yours has uncooked beans!! for god sake dude, disgusting cream stuff spilled over burrito, the pointo of burrito is that you can hold the dough in your hands

i was so dissapointed, I wonder how you still get customers in your shop, i am seriously, burrito like that was just horrible, sauces were good, and chips too

dude, wake up and wake up again, you are candidate for gordon ramsey, and please taste your food before you serve it, and the servants were looking at me when i was eating, i guess they were wondering how can i digest this food, i tried burrito in bkk, 2 times 2 years apart, never again, the 30 bht local thai food beats it anytime

We get it dude, you don't like their veggie burrito.

FYI: You can order your burrito ANYWAY you want!

You don't need to get sour cream on top, inside, or anywhere, or if you want some, you can have it on the side. You can choose your style of beans. If you ever go again and get served uncooked beans, by all means, SEND IT BACK!

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/build-your-own-burrito.htm

Cheers,

Gil

It'll certainly get YOUR post count up!!!

For what purpose? coffee1.gif

(Is there a cash per post policy that nobody has made me aware of?!? Heck I don't even get free guacamole or even half off guacamole!)angry.png

Edited by Jingthing