Diesel Oil

Ahnsahn

First off apologies, I meant to say the DPF delete was at the same time as the change from mineral to synthetic oil (after the 100,000k service). The EGR blank I took the risk and did it at around 60,000K's since you'd have to really look to know it had been done. I won't change my earlier post since it’s been quoted already. Sorry about the confusion.

Also I don't get black smoke from these mods. The reference to that in earlier posts is generally due to over fueling from plug and play chips or restricted air intake. Mine is an older truck non-common rail so the piggy backs unfortunately aren't an option anyway.

I know people that get really good results with the piggy backs; set up right they really do perform. But if you get more than a little over enthusiastic with the settings then you will get black smoke for sure. The thread tittled "Cheap Diesel Performance" has some great infomation on the plug and play options etc.

First off apologies, I meant to say the DPF delete was at the same time as the change from mineral to synthetic oil (after the 100,000k service). The EGR blank I took the risk and did it at around 60,000K's since you'd have to really look to know it had been done. I won't change my earlier post since it’s been quoted already. Sorry about the confusion.

Also I don't get black smoke from these mods. The reference to that in earlier posts is generally due to over fueling from plug and play chips or restricted air intake. Mine is an older truck non-common rail so the piggy backs unfortunately aren't an option anyway.

I know people that get really good results with the piggy backs; set up right they really do perform. But if you get more than a little over enthusiastic with the settings then you will get black smoke for sure. The thread tittled "Cheap Diesel Performance" has some great infomation on the plug and play options etc.

Thanks for the clarification!

At the very least, I'll make sure to replace these 2 components a couple of times before I eventually have them blanked and removed.

• 1 month later...

Pomthai's comments on EGR are correct. EGR is a poor solution for manufacturers to meet NOx emision rules, virually universal now in Euro IV compliant common rail diesels. EGR reduces NOx by reducing combustion temp. This also reduces combustion of carbon so exhaust soot particles (smoke) increase increasing the need for Particle filters. So yes Euro IV diesels are bi polar and smoke belching is not likely to be caused by blanking the EGR.

EGR dumps more contamination into the engine and oil so manufacturers either shorten oil change or increase oil spec (synthetic etc). EGR valves and inlet maifolds get fouled with oil and soot so PM shedules usually include strip down and cleaning around 50,000 km. If the engine idles a lot it may need cleaning earlier.

Blanking the EGR is a good option while there are no effective emisions testing, especially for highway vehicles. The engine life is likely to be better with EGR blanked and low speed response improved. EGR usually does not operate over approx 50% engine speed so max power and emisons does not change much. The exhaust will smell more like a diesel though.

EGR is probably a better compromise If you idle in BKK traffic all the time, sell the car when it is young and want to reduce NOx and the diesel exhaust smell. In this case the engine may reduce perfomrance and become less stable over time if the EGR valve or DPF become excessively plugged.