Why Did You Decide To Leave Thailand?

nietzche

I have commented on this subject before I lived in Pattaya and worked in the property business for the best part of 8 excellent years that turned sour towards the end, reasons being....

I opened a business with the wrong person, someone who wasn't prepared to put any hard work in himself, had a champagne lifestyle and lemonade money(and liked to dip into peoples money he was entrusted with)in the space of 2 years he went from living in a studio apartment to driving a porsche cayenne worth 7 million thb and amazingly lived pretty much rent free in peoples properties he had either promised to sell or rent, he then got sick and left me to run the business all the while he and his girl both drew salaries from the company account and paid off their car finances, basically there was no puttting back into the business just taking out.

also, he was very much into the brown nosing of thai police and the like who thought he was a rich man with his car so liked to be seen with him perhaps with the thought that they could get money from him at some point(little did they know that the car was on finance and the down payment was out of money entrusted to him from soemone who worked in the oil business and very rarely came to pattaya, when he did I was expected to deal with him and say this character was too ill to see anyone)

eventually he wanted me to sign over some land I had power of attorney for that I was selling for at that time a family friend, even if it wasn't a family friend I wouldn't do it so my fate in pattaya was omnimus....

I told him I was resigning and taking a break from Pattaya to size up my future plans and that I would be back to sort things out when I was ready, if you can imagine running a business on your own for the best part of a year I think I was pretty much close to some kind of breakdown....

I arrived back in Pattaya after 3 weeks back in the U.K with my family to finalise the sale of my house, that went through and then I was ready to face this person and tell him it was definetly over between us business wise.

I didn't get the chance to do that unfortunately as whilst I was away he had contacted the police and hatched a plan with some media cretin who is still there today to blackmail me for all I was worth, they issued a warrant on me for some trumped up charges that I had stolen from the company, I was awoken at my friends condo that I was staying at early in the morning and raided by the police like I was some villain on the run and whilst they detained me they were getting together all my bank books/chanote for some land I owed and seized my passport, luckily for me I was not alone in that apartment and my father had travelled back with me otherwise I wouldn't have had the chance to contact my lawyer and deal with this mess...

I got to the station on soi 9 and was met by a swiss character who claimed to be a lawyer who could sort out my problems....all I needed to do was sign over my land I owned to my former business partner, wasn't going to happen, then former business partner shows up and thinks he can get all aggressive with me and threaten me....luckily for me the police officer in charge who had been paid to detain me and saw another side to this 'supposed victim' of my crimes and was not impressed with his act of intimidation and had what I can only describe as some kind of mercy towards me and told him to leave, if he hit me then I was certain to retaliate so best off no altercation happened...my lawyer then showed up, came in and scooped all my documents up that were laid out on the table told them to charge me or drop it there and then, they charged me and I was slung in the cell whilst my lawyer arranged a deal to get me out, cost me 90k thb bail to get out that day so everyone in the police must have had a nice party on that and my lawyer also took his share I would say...still I was now out buy minus a passport as I was told they were preparing the case to go to court and held my passport so I would not dissapear.

I was fortunate to have many friends that stood by me and even some that went to soi 9 and gave character witness statements saying this was all B.S and they were prepared to stand in court on my behalf, some thai some farang all legit business people.

After 6 weeks and several attempts to get the boys in soi9 to tell me if they were going to charge me I one day walked into the station, sat and waited for the arresting officer for a couple of hours who took me into his office and gave me my passport back...my visa had expired and I was now on overstay, I went straight to immigration, showed them my arrest letter and gave them my passport, paid the overstay fine and got 10 day extension, fair play to the man at the immigration he told me to put the letter away and sorted me out there and then.

I won't bore you anymore but that was 6 years ago, yes I have returned to Thailand since...even Pattaya a few times...it was difficult coming back home to the UK and took me a couple of years to get into a decent job and sort myself out which I am now...

I wouldn't change a thing to be quite honest looking back...would have changed lots at the time it was all happening.

Moral of the story...be careful who you get into business with anywhere in the world and be prepared for people who have nothing and never wanted to put any hard work in to go to any lengths to take your things!

Last I heard that he was in a wheelchair....but he was probably on some kind of con!!!

Thank you for sharing that . A weaker person would have just signed the papers then and there. They would have smelled blood. Anytime you had anything they would come at you like the sharks they are. Looks like you're still strong and moving on. Best of luck to you

Do you ever sense that the reluctance to leave arises from an ability to accept that the 'game' is lost? It's rarely ever a blow out that causes it, but rather small incremental events that one compensates for and which act to delay the inevitable. And then finally, it becomes too much and the decision is made.

I believe it is unfair to ridicule those that have made the decision as they have at least thought it out. There are folks like me that are in denial. Oh it's not as if anything bad has happened, but its general behaviour stuff, like my personal relationship that isn't really going anywhere,with one pushing for the purchase of a home and the other wavering and being indecisive about making a commitment. it's not Thailand, but the mindset of the person. I detest the animal cruelty, the poor environmental conditions, the corruption, the bureaucracy and the lack of career opportunities. I'd probably feel the same way in some other countries so it isn't specific to Thailand. I'm in the grey zone, nether in, nor out. watching and waiting. To be honest, I have my eye on Burma and opportunities there.

You know how we always say, wow if I had known what I know now, and had the money and experience I have now back when was a kid, I'd have had it made? Well, for some of us, thats what Burma is. A seductive nymph beckons just as Thailand did for some.

This is how I felt 8 years ago about leaving Thailand and moving to Laos. I made the move and looking back it was the best decision of my life. I bought land here when it was very cheap and if I lose it in the future it wont hurt. Next year I will apply for citizenship which is far easier here than in Thailand The good thing is - Thailand is still just over the border and I now enjoy using it as a holiday/shopping/golfing destination. I would say go for it instead of thinking what might've been. I only wish I had bought more land when I had the opportunity.

We are all different, and knowing within ourselves what we like and don't like is not always clear for everyone.

Being able to make huge decisions with your life is no easy task.

Flip a coin.....and while it is spinning in the air, you will already know what outcome you want.

• Like 1

I've lived here continuously for about 6 years now, and I plan to return to the US later this year...possibly July/August.

The main reason I'm leaving is education for my daughter, who is (you might guess!) 6 years old . I can't afford the top notch schools here, and even if I could, I believe FREE schools back home are better than the ones here.

I'd have probably already departed if certain family issues (ie Mom) didn't exist. Other reasons i'm leaving are:

Food: I used to be very curious about various Thai foods and enjoy trying new tastes. Now, more and more, the things everyone is eating around me just looks disgusting.

Sports: I miss cheering on the local teams back home. College basketball, baseball, even high school sports, football, etc. I just haven't been able to get into the sports here. I've tried..attending many many TPL football matches but I miss my sports.

Magazines, Newspapers, Books.

Good television.

Weather that is conducive to outdoor exercise during daylight hours.

That's about it.

• Like 1

You can own land in Laos? I can't believe after 8 years of reading Thai Visa this is the first I am hearing of this. I was always under the impression that Laos was a very hard place for a farang to live. I guess I was wrong. It's quite curious why more farang are not onto Laos if this is the case.

This has the makings of (yet another) Thai bashing thread.  Perhaps the OP needs reaffirmation that he's not the only one who couldn't cut it...eh, was fed up with all that's wrong with Thailand.  I suspect that there may be a few disgruntled expats who would love to come on here and reinforce to themselves that they made the right decision in leaving Thailand, and to remind those of us who stayed that we're schmucks.  I do hope that they will share with us the Utopia that they have found....although I always wonder why these guys are still interested in Thailand even after they've left.

Funny thing is when I left the USA, I don't recall going on some USA-centric website to announce that I was leaving and giving a litany of reasons why.  I knew I forgot something!

At least some of us who dislike  so many aspects of Thailand dont just complain about it whilst living here, we leave or are leaving, Action speaks louder than words

agreed. action in this instance is to be commended.

However, when i leave a party i say goodbye to my friends and colleagues.

I don't  stand up on my chair, put a spoon to my wineglass and begin a litany of all the reasons i am choosing to depart. nor do i call for the contributions of other who are thinking of going home too.

its an international flounce of sorts.

Have you ever been to a party that serves wine in glasses??? Tell the truth now.......

This has the makings of (yet another) Thai bashing thread. Perhaps the OP needs reaffirmation that he's not the only one who couldn't cut it...eh, was fed up with all that's wrong with Thailand. I suspect that there may be a few disgruntled expats who would love to come on here and reinforce to themselves that they made the right decision in leaving Thailand, and to remind those of us who stayed that we're schmucks. I do hope that they will share with us the Utopia that they have found....although I always wonder why these guys are still interested in Thailand even after they've left.

Funny thing is when I left the USA, I don't recall going on some USA-centric website to announce that I was leaving and giving a litany of reasons why. I knew I forgot something!

At least some of us who dislike so many aspects of Thailand dont just complain about it whilst living here, we leave or are leaving, Action speaks louder than words

agreed. action in this instance is to be commended.

However, when i leave a party i say goodbye to my friends and colleagues.

I don't stand up on my chair, put a spoon to my wineglass and begin a litany of all the reasons i am choosing to depart. nor do i call for the contributions of other who are thinking of going home too.

its an international flounce of sorts.

Have you ever been to a party that serves wine in glasses??? Tell the truth now.......

frequently my friend.

I will be attending a wedding that proposes to do just so later next week.

Making a move to another country is easy, noooooooo problem, BUT over coming the differences is another question. You need balls and be very understanding that your upbringing is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different.

Many can't handle it, many cannot ignore the differences, you are the folk that move on. Nooo problem, just move on to find something you can deal with.

You can own land in Laos? I can't believe after 8 years of reading Thai Visa this is the first I am hearing of this. I was always under the impression that Laos was a very hard place for a farang to live. I guess I was wrong. It's quite curious why more farang are not onto Laos if this is the case.

As you well know, foriegners can't own land, unless you have half a million USD to invest. I didn't say I own land. I said I bought land. Nice try though smile.png

Yes, you are wrong that Laos is a hard place for a farang to live, unless you are looking for retirement, even then it isn't impossible.

What have you heard??

More and more farang are moving here all the time, unfortunately.

Much more Korean, Chinese, Japanese expats here than Farang.

I haven't actually left yet, but I am actively encouraging a currently small probability at the office that would create a position for me elsewhere. So I have made the decision to leave in my mind, if I can arrange things so that I can leave under optimal circumstances. Like any decision, there are both positives and negatives associated with this.

The biggest negatives of leaving Thailand are to my family. My wife is Thai and leaving her culture will affect her in ways she can't yet imagine. While some of these might be for the better, there are bound to be areas that cause great stress. Then there are my children who deserve the opportunity to learn about their heritage. While they will still be exposed to certain aspects of Thai culture living overseas, they won't really get the same perspective as they would if they were immersed in it.

Thailand has may warts though. Terrible climate, filthy, and lack of respect for the rule of law are the most eggregious. While Thailand was a cheap place to live, most of these things were forgiveable. Nowhere is perfect, and everything is a balance. Good value for money always outweighed Thailand's negatives. Sadly, Thailand is no longer a really good value, and so I am forced to consider something that I never expected I would want to do.

In the end, the decision to leave Thailand is because now that it is no longer cheap, the equation no longer balances. Like any investment, you have to know when to get out. If I can arrange a move as I have envisioned, my family and I will have the opportunity to try a different path, and then we can make a more informed decision about Thailand's desirability. I wouldn't mind moving back to Thailand later if I find that it is still the best of a bunch of less than perfect choices.

Left Thailand after 10 years there in 2007. Was a great place and made many friends there. As well as many unforgettable experiences. However, personally, I found towards the end I was just drifting along, in the same old job, doing the same thing and not really challenging myself. A bit of a rut really. On top of the fact that I found Thailand had changed for the worse slightly (or maybe I was really thinking that I had changed/or needed to change), I decided to move on.

Leaving certainly had the effect of dragging me out of my complacency and forcing me to do new stuff.

I guess if I hadn't decided to leave I'd still be doing the same thing in BKK, still singlle, as the clock kept ticking.

Now I'm in HK, married to a lovely Lao lady, have a 3 week old son and have a plot of land in Vientiane where we are building a small house.

Overall, Thailand was great but on a personal level, I had to move on to new challenges.

Edited by nottocus

I didn't "decide" to leave as such. My employers were taken over by another company and my very happy 5 year expat gig in Thailand came to an end due to "re-organisation". I was not ready to work on local terms in Thailand, so my wife and I decided to move to Singapore. That works well for us - for me, better employment opportunities than would be the case in Thailand these days, whilst for the wife, Singapore remains comfortingly Asian (if you don't spend all your time in the expat areas) and is only a couple of hours flying time away. We like Singapore and plan to remain there until I retire (which is a minimum of 10 years away), but when I do, we plan to come back to live in Thailand.

I agree with the poster who said "you leave a part of yourself in Thailand". Living in Asia changes you, this is inevitable with the changed lifestyle, culture etc to which you are exposed. I've been in Asia for just over 10 years in total. I don't think I could go back to live in the UK now (regardless of being married to an Asian or not), and my few remaining friends there tend to agree!

A question to the OP. On top of your list is "The lack of education amongst even the most educated Thais. I miss having intelligent discussion with people outside of the internet."

Do you mind giving me a few examples of "intelligent discussion" you recently had on the internet ? I personally have a problem to qualify your racist rant as an "intelligent discussion" but I'm open minded and ready to be proved wrong

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 2

...I don't think I could go back to live in the UK now (regardless of being married to an Asian or not), and my few remaining friends there tend to agree!

I'm surprised. None of my friends in the UK have made a big point of encouraging me to stay here. Perhaps they're afraid of my contrariness.

SC

After years of living the dream, my nights were filled with visions of mundane suburban tedium...

I had been drawn here by hyperbole, exaggerated promises and over-reaching ambition, and was drawn away by opportunity and challenge. 'Onwards and upwards' as my colleghe mate used to say, although in that case he was talking about drug abuse...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I moved to Thailand in 2004 and 'kind of' left in 2009, not because I wanted too but because it was in the midst of the global financial crisis and I'd just been offered a great job in London that - given the precarious nature of the firm I was with in Bangkok - it seemed prudent to take up.

I considered it very much a tactical retreat, a great opportunity to work like hell for 3-4 years, keep building up the nest egg, ready for a final return when I hit fifty to come back and retire or semi-retire.

I last two and a half years in the UK, and pined for Thailand every single day. Then I got the chance to get back to Asia, and I'm not splitting my time working between HK and living pretty much every other weekend and lots of extended business trips in Thailand. Best of both worlds; it feels like I'm home.

I will be home in Thailand permanently at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 1

I am not ready to commit either my family or myself to ex pat life in Thailand as yet.

I have lived in the kingdom for a few years and I loved it too much but employment prospects, pensions, super, education etc have to be thought of before taking the plunge on a permanent level.

I am loving life as an ex pat in Australia, but also am kept busy working in SE Asia, so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

My Dad on the other hand is more than satisfied with his life in Thailand where he has been for many years and has no plans to move on.

@ Berkshire, its not a question of "not cutting it" its a matter of personal choices and doing what is right for you at a certain time of your life!!

You're reasoning is very similar to my own. I have lived and worked in several different countries. All of them had good and bad.

I am not much of a drinker, and this seems to be a major part of the expat culture here. A big reason for myself not staying here long term is also the failed attempt at making any decent "trustworthy" friends. In my early days I had made several friends, but all of them turned out to be very dishonest, or just had delusions of grandeur (lying about who they were, etc.).

I have been "almost" conned more times in a year, than I have in my entire life (by Thai and Farang alike). Looking over your shoulder all the time and not being able to trust people much gets tiring.........

My feeling is that it takes guts to up sticks and move to pastures new, particularly without the arms of say a family/international business etc behind you and it takes even more guts to either go home or to pastures new. Particularly when you have a family in tow.

Absolutely nothing to do with "cutting it" or being a failure. My respect for people on both sides of the coin.

I found trustworthy friends, i think you look in the wrong area's in bars you usually wont find many trustworthy characters. I found most of my friends either in the gym or during fishing. Most are non bar types.

I would never want to work for a Thai company as i like the free thinking in foreign companies. At least in my home country you weren't treated as a slave and your input was valued.

I've lived and worked in Thailand on five different ocasions over the past twenty years - with the exception of once being medivacted on each other ocasion my reasons for leaving have been the same - a pay rise to go elsewhere.

On each ocasion my reason for returning have been the same - a pay rise to come back.

Edited by GuestHouse

After reading through these 3 pages, it seems very strange to me that NOBODY, except myself, has made a single mention of CULTURAL reasons for returning home. By cultural I mean entertainment, sports, music, etc. Do you all really enjoy watching the same television programs as Thai people? You prefer Muay thai boxing and Thai premier league football to your native country's sports? You just love those just-boil-everything noodle soups so much over your hometown fare? You don't miss libraries? You just love Thai music?

Edited by FreedomDude