Why Did You Decide To Leave Thailand?

nietzche

I have found over my years here that no one comes here for the same reasons. Sure there are commonalities but all have different reasons. I have also that found that UK folks vehemently defend their move to Thailand far more then US folks. As I continue to read it appears(Based on posts I have absolutely no hands on experience living in the UK) living in the UK is pretty bad. I am a US citizen(California) and am moving back to the US in a few weeks. I have been here 5+ years and have seen enough to know that while there are many things I like here what you give up is far to great.

During my stay here I have come to find that it is hard to find quality people to build friendships with. IMHO there are far more "runaways" here due to a bad life back in their home countries and this behavior is carried with them. Its also interesting in the fact something had been gnawing at me and I was really unable to put my finger on it until I went to get my Visa to leave. The entire 90 day check in thing is actually somewhat humiliating as it feels like you are checking with your Thai parole officer and if you miss you are in violation and stand to be fined or deported. 5+ years back when I arrived this was not a big deal but as time has gone on its really an annoyance and one you cannot insulate yourself from. Again comparing my life in US to here, there are some hard negatives living in Thailand that as a friend stated "Just cannot be balanced out". I am not going to list them as most certainly someone will cut and paste and take out of context.

I will say In the beginning I enjoyed what I perceived as "More freedom" here and less bureaucracy but as time goes on that plays against you. I believe most people have basic expectations on how things should be and you quickly find that those perceived freedoms also allow bad behaviors where a great number of folks can act like morons(Thais included) and there is virtually no enforcement or path for one to take to stop it. There is a lot of interference from the government to order things you need or want to buy or working the type of jobs you may want to. There is a ton of discrimination here Thais to Thais in the work place. Just read an ad on the internet and in the paper. As an expat(who does not want to marry and have everything in his Thai wifes name)you cannot establish a loan for a home. Sure developers will float you a 5 year note but you will be done. But in general you are forced to pay everything in cash which all seems great until you find that you cannot leverage your equity or assets to get cash should something arise where that is required. Good luck trying to sell your place should something require you to exit Thailand. Some houses never sell. Loans for used homes are very hard to secure. You are also not free of cheaply made houses and the neighbor who decided to open up a noodle or karaoke restaurant next door to your house. You also cannot own the land you have your house built on. While the US has its faults for sure at least it has an infrastructure and some discipline and your neighborhoods are zoned to control inconsiderate people and you have a system to take action should that happen. Here its who ever gives the police more money prevails.

One thing very clear to me is it is cheap to live poor and expensive as hell to live a normal middle class like most grownups want to do. Moving here on a fixed income is something I would never recommend unless you left your money in your bank and a path back to your home country. Things are far to unstable here to call it "Home". There are far to many variables that can take you from comfortable to broke in no time and if you are past your employment years you have no means to supplement your income.

As for why I am moving back, the major reason is I can buy a nicer house on some land(in my name), own a better car(for less money), Work in any field I want, buy better quality clothes for the same price and have a better living lifestyle then I do here for about the same overall cost and with less friction and I do not feel limited. It is simple as that. I am not saying Thailand is bad and a horrible place, it may work for some. I am moving for me and where I am at California is simply better. I mean its why we moved around right? I saw opportunities but after I landed and lived it and I dove into Thailand and as I peeled the onion back it gets a bit hard to manage basic daily life. I did not come here to live on a 100 baht a day like a peasant. While some find it fun, it wears thin very very fast. I moved here as I saw what appeared to be a better place and I wanted to come see. For me its not. No harm no foul. Thailand is a great vacation destination

Well written and from a living aspect, understandable but as some have said before living here isn't for everyone.

Having no local assets and by that I mean close friends or even a gf/wife etc, there is a risk for becoming a non-entity here. The way to survive and getting higher up the ladder is to have knowledge in Thai culture and at least some decent understanding of the Thai language.

It is possible to manage without these but if you do have them, it makes both the transition and the living easier

• Like 1

As for why I am moving back, the major reason is I can buy a nicer house on some land(in my name), own a better car(for less money), Work in any field I want, buy better quality clothes for the same price and have a better living lifestyle then I do here for about the same overall cost and with less friction and I do not feel limited. It is simple as that. I am not saying Thailand is bad and a horrible place, it may work for some. I am moving for me and where I am at California is simply better. I mean its why we moved around right? I saw opportunities but after I landed and lived it and I dove into Thailand and as I peeled the onion back it gets a bit hard to manage basic daily life. I did not come here to live on a 100 baht a day like a peasant. While some find it fun, it wears thin very very fast. I moved here as I saw what appeared to be a better place and I wanted to come see. For me its not. No harm no foul. Thailand is a great vacation destination

I second that , and for the property part since my wife came to france and saw what kind of house or appartment you can buy for 10M baht compared to thailand , she definately want to buy in France and NOT in thailand. ( not speaking about paris of course, more towards britanny) ...

I can see the number of reasons why people would leave thailand. Everyone here I believe has had many good and bad experiences, some seem to have had more bad experiences than most though. Some issues though

Friendship - I to have found it hard to find people to have a good friendship with. Although I am lucky though over time I have made 2 friends but I consider them quality friends than quantity. Between the 3 of us we can share many topics, debates, ideas but the other thing is all 3 of us work in the hotel industry. I made a point one time which was be careful who you talk to and try to associate with, there are some good people here out there but there are also bad people as well.

Thailand in general - there are so many aspects in this range that all I could simply state is thailand like any other country in the world has problems, although I am grately that thailand so far is not in the range as say a country like north korea, iraq. I know thats to far to put in but I say things here in thailand could always be worse.

like many of us on here we are just the foreigner when thai's no longer are willing to tolerate foreigners and decide to kick us all out I'll simply say thank you for letting be work here and wish them good luck. again something different to say the least but i'm grateful for all the good and bad experiences I have had here, as it has help me grow and change not only in my opinions but on many things has well over the 8 years I have lived here. I have no regrets about being here even when at times I have been annoyed and frustrated.

I will continue to stay here in thailand as long as I can it may not be perfect but I call it home

• Like 1

I also wanted to add that I had a great time learning about a new culture and speaking the language, but as someone mentioned early on I will not have any lingering feelings about Thailand and go back having to deal with reverse culture shock. Being I just turned 50 I am not set in my ways. I have some good memories, some great pictures, met a wonderful gal companion who will travel back with me to see the US as a tourist. I look forward to reciprocating for all the awesome things she did for me here unconditionally knowing that I would never marry, would never buy a house or pay anything to an extended family and did not want children. I am basically leaving as I came, 4 suitcases, 1 carry on and a few gifts. The rest I gave to her sisters and family. I wrote them off as soon as I bought them. I lived by the motto, never buy here what you cannot afford to leave behind.

Edited by JAFO

Though it's understandable that coming of age and with virtually no elderly care nor support in Thailand, surely most of you must have known that beforeyou stepped over the border?

That goes diddo for child support and education yet some stayed here all these years knowing these facts and still left whining. Did you do it for the kids or for yourselves?

There are alternatives to leaving for your home country but it's easier to call it a day and blame the circumstances without putting in enough effort of what might really work.

Edited by maxme

I lived in the UK for over ten years and although I struggled financially in the beginning I had a fantastic time learning about so many different cultures and discovering my true potential. Then I decided to leave to push myself further, travel a bit and learn more about the world around me.

Thailand has been incredibly welcoming that I decided to stay for a while. It's been over 8 years now and I'm still enjoying it despite the challenges that life throws at us wherever we are in the world.

One thing that is leaving me baffled each time is when I come across western expats (who have enough money and freedom to make a move at any time) who hate the Thais and their culture with so much passion, I just cannot understand why they are here if they don't like it.

• Like 2

I lived in the UK for over ten years and although I struggled financially in the beginning I had a fantastic time learning about so many different cultures and discovering my true potential. Then I decided to leave to push myself further, travel a bit and learn more about the world around me.

Thailand has been incredibly welcoming that I decided to stay for a while. It's been over 8 years now and I'm still enjoying it despite the challenges that life throws at us wherever we are in the world.

One thing that is leaving me baffled each time is when I come across western expats (who have enough money and freedom to make a move at any time) who hate the Thais and their culture with so much passion, I just cannot understand why they are here if they don't like it.

I think for everyone including myself, the decision to leave or make plans to leave, was not an easy one. Sure there are many problems back in the U.S and the U.K also. Maybe the biggest hurdle for most of us to overcome here is the lack of a level playing field.

A big concern I have is also the current tone of the politics towards westerners. It is almost as if upper society uses white people here as a distraction to give the poor someone to blame for their low quality of life.

Few days ago I watched a report on Thai news talking about how too much land in Thailand was now owned by foreigners via Thai partnerships or through spouses. I may be over exaggerating here, however, it feels slightly like the Nazi persecution of the Jews right now laugh.png

• Like 1

I think for everyone including myself, the decision to leave or make plans to leave, was not an easy one. Sure there are many problems back in the U.S and the U.K also. Maybe the biggest hurdle for most of us to overcome here is the lack of a level playing field.

A big concern I have is also the current tone of the politics towards westerners. It is almost as if upper society uses white people here as a distraction to give the poor someone to blame for their low quality of life.

Few days ago I watched a report on Thai news talking about how too much land in Thailand was now owned by foreigners via Thai partnerships or through spouses. I may be over exaggerating here, however, it feels slightly like the Nazi persecution of the Jews right now laugh.png

Your obviously older than me. That was before my time, though I'm told it was pretty bad.

I've never really noticed that.

Anyway, what made you think you might be over-exaggerating? How much did you intend to exaggerate?

SC

Though it's understandable that coming of age and with virtually no elderly care nor support in Thailand, surely most of you must have known that beforeyou stepped over the border?

That goes diddo for child support and education yet some stayed here all these years knowing these facts and still left whining. Did you do it for the kids or for yourselves?

There are alternatives to leaving for your home country but it's easier to call it a day and blame the circumstances without putting in enough effort of what might really work.

Maxme,

I think it really all depends on a persons initial plan. I came here with no plans, Did not move here for a woman, did not move here to run the bar scene. I was open to the idea of staying long term if everything panned out as hoped it might. I was here for 2 years under a US company umbrella so I really got to see Thailand openly but it was tainted a bit as a exec I was taken care of and trivial day to day things got handle by the Thai admin that was allocated to me while I was here. I then opted to take some time off work and lived the last 3 or so on my own. With ample time I am a research kind of person. I spent hours reading up on the culture, learning the Thai language. BTW, personally learning the Thai language (and by no means am I that good) has not helped with much other then making it easier to get around, order food and ask for directions. It does not fix the systemic problems a lot of folks have mentioned that simply make basic life complicated.

I was very fortunate to have lived north to south assessing where the best place might be to live. Again originally I was considering a long stay but it just slowly ran its course.

As I said to many people who have asked once you take off the rose colored glasses, really join society, peel the onion back it gets to be far to much work to achieve even the most simplest of results. I mean try and find a good shovel here to work in your yard, Try taking back something you bought that broke or was defective, try explaining to a Thai what you want done and then watch him do it is way and then have to have him come back 3 times to fix it over and over, ever had to try and find a package that was sent to you? Ever waited for a Thai person to show up that said they would be there at 9 and shows up at 1 and does not have the courtesy to call? Its these simple things that just wear you out. I know I took these things for granted as I came here thinking life was easy and all was cheap. There is a cost(both mentally and financially) to having to go back and forth and do the same thing over and over.

Anyway as I said, it was a great experience. I put my effort in to stay long term, did my homework, lived around and it is just not for me(well maybe the Aol Luk area). I am however thankful I met the Thai gal I did. We will see how things go back in California for her. It will be fun to show her the things the differences. She is already impressed with the customer service with the airlines and the people handling her Visa and how she has temples in the area and a Thai community.

We've all heard about the systemic corruption with regards to the Thai police. I have personally never had any interaction with them, so I can not say for myself how deep the problem runs. Curious as to whether any TV members have had dealings with the Thai police, good or bad???

what made you think you might be over-exaggerating? How much did you intend to exaggerate?

SC

1. Needless to say, any comparison between the Nazi persecution of the Jews and what's happening right now would be a gross exaggeration, but I do feel slightly persecuted.

2. Of course, comparing the current political climate with the Holocaust would be absurd, but I am increasingly of the opinion that Thai people dislike me.

3. Sure, persecution is obviously the wrong word and only a fool would mention the Holocaust, but could someone please explain to me why it is I have the feeling I'm being followed.

4. The Nazis? What do they have to do with this? I was simply referring to the way in which everyone is talking about me behind my back.

5. I am NOT Jewish. Did I ever say I was? And who cares if I've started hearing voices.

6. Mad? Well, aren't we all?

7. It's happened. It's finally happened. Just like I always knew it would. They're spying on me through the television.

• Like 1

what made you think you might be over-exaggerating? How much did you intend to exaggerate?

SC

1. Needless to say, any comparison between the Nazi persecution of the Jews and what's happening right now would be a gross exaggeration, but I do feel slightly persecuted.

2. Of course, comparing the current political climate with the Holocaust would be absurd, but I am increasingly of the opinion that Thai people dislike me.

3. Sure, persecution is obviously the wrong word and only a fool would mention the Holocaust, but could someone please explain to me why it is I have the feeling I'm being followed.

4. The Nazis? What do they have to do with this? I was simply referring to the way in which everyone is talking about me behind my back.

5. I am NOT Jewish. Did I ever say I was? And who cares if I've started hearing voices.

6. Mad? Well, aren't we all?

7. It's happened. It's finally happened. Just like I always knew it would. They're spying on me through the television.

Can anyone out there fluent in "imbecile" translate this?????
  • Like 1

The OP makes a lot of valid points.

I worked in many countries (North America, Europe, Asia) and with an expat salary I could envision to work up to 5 years here, then move on, see the OP more than valid points.

However I decided to retire here, that's a different life altogether.

I excluded Europe, Africa and North America for retirement.

Possibly some Australian beach area might be a better choice, but never got to travel there, and when I see legal issues with Australia, I think I will pass on a "Home Security" Type of country. I had a two hours incursion to the USA via land coming from Montreal last Mai and that was a disgusting exposure to their entry rules (I had a fully armed agent ready to shoot me watching the procedure, he needed to be relieved/replaced after 15 minutes, what a joke)

I also have a plan B, C and D and head back to my country of origins every 5 months, that's the maximum I can take in without getting insane here.

Thus later this month I am on relief holiday to see some real villages/life/food/nature.

Will visit Carcassonne (le pays Cathare) next month and remember the orders of pope Innocent III who ordered a crusade to exterminate the heretics, history mentions the killing of ALL inhabitants of the town of Beziers, nice job by the Catholic church.

Maybe some day I will make it top st. Petersburg also, still have a few places to visit on my list, keeps me going and coming back to the Land Of Scams.

But living AND working in Thailand, no thanks. coffee1.gif

I worked in many countries (North America, Europe, Asia) and with an expat salary I could envision to work up to 5 years here, then move on, see the OP more than valid points.

Possibly some Australian beach area might be a better choice, but never got to travel there, and when I see legal issues with Australia, I think I will pass on a "Home Security" Type of country.

Can you explain the legal issues with Australia, I dont quite understand please?

Maxme,

I think it really all depends on a persons initial plan. I came here with no plans, Did not move here for a woman, did not move here to run the bar scene. I was open to the idea of staying long term if everything panned out as hoped it might. I was here for 2 years under a US company umbrella so I really got to see Thailand openly but it was tainted a bit as a exec I was taken care of and trivial day to day things got handle by the Thai admin that was allocated to me while I was here. I then opted to take some time off work and lived the last 3 or so on my own. With ample time I am a research kind of person. I spent hours reading up on the culture, learning the Thai language. BTW, personally learning the Thai language (and by no means am I that good) has not helped with much other then making it easier to get around, order food and ask for directions. It does not fix the systemic problems a lot of folks have mentioned that simply make basic life complicated.

I was very fortunate to have lived north to south assessing where the best place might be to live. Again originally I was considering a long stay but it just slowly ran its course.

As I said to many people who have asked once you take off the rose colored glasses, really join society, peel the onion back it gets to be far to much work to achieve even the most simplest of results. I mean try and find a good shovel here to work in your yard, Try taking back something you bought that broke or was defective, try explaining to a Thai what you want done and then watch him do it is way and then have to have him come back 3 times to fix it over and over, ever had to try and find a package that was sent to you? Ever waited for a Thai person to show up that said they would be there at 9 and shows up at 1 and does not have the courtesy to call? Its these simple things that just wear you out. I know I took these things for granted as I came here thinking life was easy and all was cheap. There is a cost(both mentally and financially) to having to go back and forth and do the same thing over and over.

Anyway as I said, it was a great experience. I put my effort in to stay long term, did my homework, lived around and it is just not for me(well maybe the Aol Luk area). I am however thankful I met the Thai gal I did. We will see how things go back in California for her. It will be fun to show her the things the differences. She is already impressed with the customer service with the airlines and the people handling her Visa and how she has temples in the area and a Thai community.

We've all heard about the systemic corruption with regards to the Thai police. I have personally never had any interaction with them, so I can not say for myself how deep the problem runs. Curious as to whether any TV members have had dealings with the Thai police, good or bad???

I have had 2 personal interactions with police corruption.

1st was riding my motorcycle in BKK where they had set up their dragnets to extort money from Thais. I was fully compliant and they pulled me over as a car dived into the far left lane, I swerved to go around them to avoid flying up on a curve, went into the right lane for 10 feet if that and back into the moto lane and the cop pulled me over. He told me to pay him 200 baht and I could go. I said give me a ticket, he did not want to and got irritated. He wanted money. I asked why, he said I was riding in the wrong lane. He clearly saw what I had done to avoid having to go up on the side walk. I surrendered and gave him 200 baht to be on my way.

2nd time was when the gal I am seeing went north and outside Lampang we came across a 2 man little road block. They pulled us over. They "claimed" that we had been driving in the far right lane to long. My GF was driving. So he wanted her to give him 300 baht. She refused. I learned along time ago to play dumb and that you do not know how to speak Thai, it frustrates them and they usually let you go as it easier to extort Thais. He told my GF that she was with Farang and he knows I have money. Now mind you we were in the middle of nowhere so it was a bit uncomfortable. She argued a bit more and she insisted she did not have money and said to give her a ticket and she will go pay at the station. He said scanned the backseat of the car and said what do you have to eat? He saw we had bags of food we were taking to her friends up north. He opened the back door and took 2 boxes of pineapple crackers and 2 bottles of water and told us we could go.

These types of police deals go on all the time. I have met many foreigners and Thais that have been extorted in this very manner. There is no policing the police. Again not what I want to deal with long term.

I am certain many others have dealt with this and while some will say "Man its not worth the hassle, just pay it" its the principle. It continues to support the corruption.

Edited by JAFO

I lived in Thailand for 8 years and left last year. I loved it there, had a great job and enjoyed my lifestyle very much but in the end decided that my sons education was more important than me having fun. I do have very big plans on returning in a few years time. by then I hope Thailand will be more stable all around. I was working in Silom when it kicked off with the red shirts and it was then that I started thinking of returning home.

since being back in the UK things have been good, it was very hard work at first, finding a good job, home and in a good area for schools and everything else that comes with it. My wife has settled in very well, she is enjoying our way of life but she does miss her job very much, it would be great to get her a job over here that is in line with what she was doing in Thailand. Sales for food and beverage companies, she traveled a lot with that job and I think she would like to do that here. but unfortunatly she has only found part time waitress possition at Thai restaurants.

My son is now 4 and his English is great, he is doing well in Nursery and looking forward to starting school in September. he also loves life over here, more freedom in many ways for him, nice playing fields and interesting places to walk to or around. bike riding and such.

My job is is good, I am looking forward to moving on and eventually running my own pub, so yeah, its not been bad over here.

I do miss my social life and miss my mates very much but the benefits of moving home have out-weighed all of that and we now look forward to holiday there.

I left for a reason, and if I were not married and had no children I would of happly stayed in Bangkok. so if you are going to leave make sure you have a good reason to as that will make it easier when you look back wondering why you did it.

Very good post. Good to hear you were able to get back into the swing of things once you returned home.
  • Like 1

Here is the reality. Most of the farang in Thailand could not get laid in their home countries at all, therefore it could start raining fire and as long as there were still enough women with pulses calling them handsome they would be happier. Look at this message board and how little discussion there is on any kind of hobby besides "dating". I picture almost every Thai Visa user as a smelly, ugly dog panting in heat.

Edited by farang000999

Here is the reality. Most of the farang in Thailand could not get laid in their home countries at all, therefore it could start raining fire and as long as there were still enough women with pulses calling them handsome they would be happier. Look at this message board and how little discussion there is on any kind of hobby besides "dating". I picture almost every Thai Visa user as a smelly, ugly dog panting in heat.

You sound like your pecker isn't up to the chore. whistling.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

I often hear of the many places around the globe that people refer to as "paradise". Interestingly enough every one that I have had the pleasure (?) of visiting ... had (at the very least) mosquitoes. Ain't no place perfect and complaining is a human trait. As long as it doesn't affect my personal life let the complainers have at it.

• Like 1

Possibly some Australian beach area might be a better choice, but never got to travel there, and when I see legal issues with Australia, I think I will pass on a "Home Security" Type of country.

Can you explain the legal issues with Australia, I dont quite understand please?

Probably because Australia requires people have proper visa's to live there and that if you have a criminal record, you are going to find it hard to enter.

I often hear of the many places around the globe that people refer to as "paradise". Interestingly enough every one that I have had the pleasure (?) of visiting ... had (at the very least) mosquitoes. Ain't no place perfect and complaining is a human trait. As long as it doesn't affect my personal life let the complainers have at it.

Cruising on the Norfolk Broads. Never saw a mozzy, only Real Ale. drunk.gif

• Like 2

Mosquitoes don't bother me too much, 2-3 bites a day isn't a problem.

You need to read the "Live rugby league" thread, so you do...

I have commented on this subject before I lived in Pattaya and worked in the property business for the best part of 8 excellent years that turned sour towards the end, reasons being....

I opened a business with the wrong person, someone who wasn't prepared to put any hard work in himself, had a champagne lifestyle and lemonade money(and liked to dip into peoples money he was entrusted with)in the space of 2 years he went from living in a studio apartment to driving a porsche cayenne worth 7 million thb and amazingly lived pretty much rent free in peoples properties he had either promised to sell or rent, he then got sick and left me to run the business all the while he and his girl both drew salaries from the company account and paid off their car finances, basically there was no puttting back into the business just taking out.

also, he was very much into the brown nosing of thai police and the like who thought he was a rich man with his car so liked to be seen with him perhaps with the thought that they could get money from him at some point(little did they know that the car was on finance and the down payment was out of money entrusted to him from soemone who worked in the oil business and very rarely came to pattaya, when he did I was expected to deal with him and say this character was too ill to see anyone)

eventually he wanted me to sign over some land I had power of attorney for that I was selling for at that time a family friend, even if it wasn't a family friend I wouldn't do it so my fate in pattaya was omnimus....

I told him I was resigning and taking a break from Pattaya to size up my future plans and that I would be back to sort things out when I was ready, if you can imagine running a business on your own for the best part of a year I think I was pretty much close to some kind of breakdown....

I arrived back in Pattaya after 3 weeks back in the U.K with my family to finalise the sale of my house, that went through and then I was ready to face this person and tell him it was definetly over between us business wise.

I didn't get the chance to do that unfortunately as whilst I was away he had contacted the police and hatched a plan with some media cretin who is still there today to blackmail me for all I was worth, they issued a warrant on me for some trumped up charges that I had stolen from the company, I was awoken at my friends condo that I was staying at early in the morning and raided by the police like I was some villain on the run and whilst they detained me they were getting together all my bank books/chanote for some land I owed and seized my passport, luckily for me I was not alone in that apartment and my father had travelled back with me otherwise I wouldn't have had the chance to contact my lawyer and deal with this mess...

I got to the station on soi 9 and was met by a swiss character who claimed to be a lawyer who could sort out my problems....all I needed to do was sign over my land I owned to my former business partner, wasn't going to happen, then former business partner shows up and thinks he can get all aggressive with me and threaten me....luckily for me the police officer in charge who had been paid to detain me and saw another side to this 'supposed victim' of my crimes and was not impressed with his act of intimidation and had what I can only describe as some kind of mercy towards me and told him to leave, if he hit me then I was certain to retaliate so best off no altercation happened...my lawyer then showed up, came in and scooped all my documents up that were laid out on the table told them to charge me or drop it there and then, they charged me and I was slung in the cell whilst my lawyer arranged a deal to get me out, cost me 90k thb bail to get out that day so everyone in the police must have had a nice party on that and my lawyer also took his share I would say...still I was now out buy minus a passport as I was told they were preparing the case to go to court and held my passport so I would not dissapear.

I was fortunate to have many friends that stood by me and even some that went to soi 9 and gave character witness statements saying this was all B.S and they were prepared to stand in court on my behalf, some thai some farang all legit business people.

After 6 weeks and several attempts to get the boys in soi9 to tell me if they were going to charge me I one day walked into the station, sat and waited for the arresting officer for a couple of hours who took me into his office and gave me my passport back...my visa had expired and I was now on overstay, I went straight to immigration, showed them my arrest letter and gave them my passport, paid the overstay fine and got 10 day extension, fair play to the man at the immigration he told me to put the letter away and sorted me out there and then.

I won't bore you anymore but that was 6 years ago, yes I have returned to Thailand since...even Pattaya a few times...it was difficult coming back home to the UK and took me a couple of years to get into a decent job and sort myself out which I am now...

I wouldn't change a thing to be quite honest looking back...would have changed lots at the time it was all happening.

Moral of the story...be careful who you get into business with anywhere in the world and be prepared for people who have nothing and never wanted to put any hard work in to go to any lengths to take your things!

Last I heard that he was in a wheelchair....but he was probably on some kind of con!!!

I have commented on this subject before I lived in Pattaya and worked in the property business for the best part of 8 excellent years that turned sour towards the end, reasons being....

I opened a business with the wrong person, someone who wasn't prepared to put any hard work in himself, had a champagne lifestyle and lemonade money(and liked to dip into peoples money he was entrusted with)in the space of 2 years he went from living in a studio apartment to driving a porsche cayenne worth 7 million thb and amazingly lived pretty much rent free in peoples properties he had either promised to sell or rent, he then got sick and left me to run the business all the while he and his girl both drew salaries from the company account and paid off their car finances, basically there was no puttting back into the business just taking out.

also, he was very much into the brown nosing of thai police and the like who thought he was a rich man with his car so liked to be seen with him perhaps with the thought that they could get money from him at some point(little did they know that the car was on finance and the down payment was out of money entrusted to him from soemone who worked in the oil business and very rarely came to pattaya, when he did I was expected to deal with him and say this character was too ill to see anyone)

eventually he wanted me to sign over some land I had power of attorney for that I was selling for at that time a family friend, even if it wasn't a family friend I wouldn't do it so my fate in pattaya was omnimus....

I told him I was resigning and taking a break from Pattaya to size up my future plans and that I would be back to sort things out when I was ready, if you can imagine running a business on your own for the best part of a year I think I was pretty much close to some kind of breakdown....

I arrived back in Pattaya after 3 weeks back in the U.K with my family to finalise the sale of my house, that went through and then I was ready to face this person and tell him it was definetly over between us business wise.

I didn't get the chance to do that unfortunately as whilst I was away he had contacted the police and hatched a plan with some media cretin who is still there today to blackmail me for all I was worth, they issued a warrant on me for some trumped up charges that I had stolen from the company, I was awoken at my friends condo that I was staying at early in the morning and raided by the police like I was some villain on the run and whilst they detained me they were getting together all my bank books/chanote for some land I owed and seized my passport, luckily for me I was not alone in that apartment and my father had travelled back with me otherwise I wouldn't have had the chance to contact my lawyer and deal with this mess...

I got to the station on soi 9 and was met by a swiss character who claimed to be a lawyer who could sort out my problems....all I needed to do was sign over my land I owned to my former business partner, wasn't going to happen, then former business partner shows up and thinks he can get all aggressive with me and threaten me....luckily for me the police officer in charge who had been paid to detain me and saw another side to this 'supposed victim' of my crimes and was not impressed with his act of intimidation and had what I can only describe as some kind of mercy towards me and told him to leave, if he hit me then I was certain to retaliate so best off no altercation happened...my lawyer then showed up, came in and scooped all my documents up that were laid out on the table told them to charge me or drop it there and then, they charged me and I was slung in the cell whilst my lawyer arranged a deal to get me out, cost me 90k thb bail to get out that day so everyone in the police must have had a nice party on that and my lawyer also took his share I would say...still I was now out buy minus a passport as I was told they were preparing the case to go to court and held my passport so I would not dissapear.

I was fortunate to have many friends that stood by me and even some that went to soi 9 and gave character witness statements saying this was all B.S and they were prepared to stand in court on my behalf, some thai some farang all legit business people.

After 6 weeks and several attempts to get the boys in soi9 to tell me if they were going to charge me I one day walked into the station, sat and waited for the arresting officer for a couple of hours who took me into his office and gave me my passport back...my visa had expired and I was now on overstay, I went straight to immigration, showed them my arrest letter and gave them my passport, paid the overstay fine and got 10 day extension, fair play to the man at the immigration he told me to put the letter away and sorted me out there and then.

I won't bore you anymore but that was 6 years ago, yes I have returned to Thailand since...even Pattaya a few times...it was difficult coming back home to the UK and took me a couple of years to get into a decent job and sort myself out which I am now...

I wouldn't change a thing to be quite honest looking back...would have changed lots at the time it was all happening.

Moral of the story...be careful who you get into business with anywhere in the world and be prepared for people who have nothing and never wanted to put any hard work in to go to any lengths to take your things!

Last I heard that he was in a wheelchair....but he was probably on some kind of con!!!

its illegal for a forang to own land here so you dug your own grave IMO and so what lots of people get screwed in business everywhere in world. I have been a couple of times through trusting someone you just move on.

Thank you for quoting the law of Thailand, are you a policeman?

If you actually read my post you will appreciate that it was attempted blackmail with the cooperation of the police as his tool, also the fact had I been a weaker man I would have signed and as you quote 'just moved on'

The laws on owning land through company were not something that was being scrutinised at the time I was involved in real estate, if they were the hundreds of transfers I carried out with buyers over the years would have some kind of issue at the lands office would they not?

Believe me I have moved on, cheers

Probably because Australia requires people have proper visa's to live there and that if you have a criminal record, you are going to find it hard to enter.

Correct, even a tourist visa requires you to declare all convictions. I do believe that if you have not served more than a 12 month sentence your application is still considered.

Do you ever sense that the reluctance to leave arises from an ability to accept that the 'game' is lost? It's rarely ever a blow out that causes it, but rather small incremental events that one compensates for and which act to delay the inevitable. And then finally, it becomes too much and the decision is made.

I believe it is unfair to ridicule those that have made the decision as they have at least thought it out. There are folks like me that are in denial. Oh it's not as if anything bad has happened, but its general behaviour stuff, like my personal relationship that isn't really going anywhere,with one pushing for the purchase of a home and the other wavering and being indecisive about making a commitment. it's not Thailand, but the mindset of the person. I detest the animal cruelty, the poor environmental conditions, the corruption, the bureaucracy and the lack of career opportunities. I'd probably feel the same way in some other countries so it isn't specific to Thailand. I'm in the grey zone, nether in, nor out. watching and waiting. To be honest, I have my eye on Burma and opportunities there.

You know how we always say, wow if I had known what I know now, and had the money and experience I have now back when was a kid, I'd have had it made? Well, for some of us, thats what Burma is. A seductive nymph beckons just as Thailand did for some.

This is how I felt 8 years ago about leaving Thailand and moving to Laos. I made the move and looking back it was the best decision of my life. I bought land here when it was very cheap and if I lose it in the future it wont hurt. Next year I will apply for citizenship which is far easier here than in Thailand The good thing is - Thailand is still just over the border and I now enjoy using it as a holiday/shopping/golfing destination. I would say go for it instead of thinking what might've been. I only wish I had bought more land when I had the opportunity.

My thai wife & I spend about 3mths in OZ every year,9mths in LOS.We find that that gives us our fix of both cultures.Where abouts in Laos are U,we are interested in finding out more sbout Laos as she is from Issan,but is a keeper,not like some of the troubled Falang wifes u read about on here.smile.png