Is There Hormones And Chemicals In Thai Food ?

wana

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Oops !

Sorry !

Anyhow,this link was an article explaining that Europe & Us are banning 16 types of imported thai fruits&veg because they are way over the limitation allowed for chemicals

Thailand IS going chemical crazy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread should be named : what hormones and chemicals ARE NOT in Thai foods?

In a country where absolutely nobody has any common sense or responsibility , every chemical that makes it taste better or sell faster will probably be in there

Even chemicals, flavorings and pesticides banned in other countries are likely to be used anyway in a mai pen rai country

Exactly my thoughts, and i don't expect biologic," 100% organic " food to be chemical free either, in Thailand or wherever..Sadly, profit rules, it's going to be worse before it gets better.

Btw , banned pesticides are not necessarily worse than the legal ones...I don't believe anything they tell me !

• Like 1

This thread should be named : what hormones and chemicals ARE NOT in Thai foods?

In a country where absolutely nobody has any common sense or responsibility , every chemical that makes it taste better or sell faster will probably be in there

Even chemicals, flavorings and pesticides banned in other countries are likely to be used anyway in a mai pen rai country

Exactly my thoughts, and i don't expect biologic," 100% organic " food to be chemical free either, in Thailand or wherever..Sadly, profit rules, it's going to be worse before it gets better.

Btw , banned pesticides are not necessarily worse than the legal ones...I don't believe anything they tell me !

I expect 100% Organic when we've grown it ourselves, when its come off one of the Royal Projects, or when I've bought the food from someone I personally know does not use chemicals - Otherwise I would expect anything at all to be labelled Organic here in Thailand.

I expect 100% Organic when we've grown it ourselves, when its come off one of the Royal Projects, or when I've bought the food from someone I personally know does not use chemicals - Otherwise I would expect anything at all to be labelled Organic here in Thailand.

I agree with you. In Thailand they have "safe" and "organic" at a premium price. I have no faith that any certification has not been paid for under the table, so won't pay double the price for these products. I try to grow as much of our vegetables as possible myself, but cannot manage year round and have to buy stuff that I have been unsuccessful at growing.

I am aware that cheating organic growers in other countries have been caught out, but at least this means that there are some checks in place. Not sure if there are any spot checks here.

I expect 100% Organic when we've grown it ourselves, when its come off one of the Royal Projects

I was told that the Royal Project does not claim that the produce is actually organic, but it is not sprayed with chemicals. Do you know differently?

I expect 100% Organic when we've grown it ourselves, when its come off one of the Royal Projects

I was told that the Royal Project does not claim that the produce is actually organic, but it is not sprayed with chemicals. Do you know differently?

Yes, not adding chemicals does not necessary means organic, our grounds where plants get nourishment are polluted, also it has to come from organic seeds.

it takes 3 years to get rid of previous chemicals in the soil, that is why organic farms take long time to get the label, and need to be financially secure before they get profitable.

Edited by aneliane

some time ago I read that beer drinkers are more likely to get bowel cancer. The following week in the same newspaper: beer drinkers are less liable to have circulatory diseases. Plenty of room for ribald comments there, obviously.

Yes, not adding chemicals does not necessary means organic, our grounds where plants get nourishment are polluted, also it has to come from organic seeds.

it takes 3 years to get rid of previous chemicals in the soil, that is why organic farms take long time to get the label, and need to be financially secure before they get profitable.

And when they do get the label, there is no guarantee the neighbors farm is chemical free, which means chemicals getting blown over the organic crop, and leaching into the surrounding ground water.smile.png

And when they do get the label, there is no guarantee the neighbors farm is chemical free, which means chemicals getting blown over the organic crop, and leaching into the surrounding ground water.smile.png

also ,once they are awarded (or have purchased) the organic label

if the crop is getting eaten by insects ,whats to stop them using some chemicals to guarantee their investment ?

i somehow doubt theres much checking going on to see who plays ball and who doesnt .......and a friendly bribe

fixes everything anyway even if there is a person whos job is to check organic really is organic

if the crop is getting eaten by insects ,whats to stop them using some chemicals to guarantee their investment ?

i somehow doubt theres much checking going on to see who plays ball and who doesnt .......and a friendly bribe

fixes everything anyway even if there is a person whos job is to check organic really is organic

Well you'll not catch me criticising 'the projects' far from it, I've found them inspirational - Rather than b1tch and moan about something not being 100% or indeed sticking my head in the sand in an attempt to deny the dangers of chemicals in the food in Thailand I thought I'd have a go at growing organic myself.

post-7176-0-79002500-1335793358_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-07215700-1335793418_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-15171800-1335793471_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-50437800-1335793547_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-07939300-1335793605_thumb.jp

Well you'll not catch me criticising 'the projects' far from it, I've found them inspirational - Rather than b1tch and moan about something not being 100% or indeed sticking my head in the sand in an attempt to deny the dangers of chemicals in the food in Thailand I thought I'd have a go at growing organic myself.

That's a nice cabbage. I dream about Runner Beans. licklips.gif

thats fine and dandy but some of us have lives and dont have time to grow our own vegetables

even more so probably live in the city and where every square meter counts there is barely room on the balcony for a pot plant never mind a few crops of vegetables

I dream about Rhubarb, but it needs a good frost to bring it on.

But you are right, runner beans - yummy. And on the flip side of frost - My mother plants runner beans in early March every year - two years out of five the frost kills them off and so she has to replant again later.

3 years out of five she gets an early crop and cleans up at the WI market.

But you are right, runner beans - yummy. And on the flip side of frost - My mother plants runner beans in early March every year - two years out of five the frost kills them off and so she has to replant again later.

Hmmmm, memories of my child hood garden. Rhubarb, Gooseberries, Black currants, Red currants, Beetroot, Onions, cabbage, Sprouts, aaaaaaaaaaah.. Aaaaall gone, sadly. sad.png Blimey, nearly forgot about my favourite fruit that we grew, Tomatoes, Strawberries and Raspberries.

Nooooooo, l won't go on about the cracking Toffee that mum made, one piece would last an exquisite 30 minutes. biggrin.png .

Edited by transam

In my home: Apples, cherries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, sweet corn, ahhhh. I would give my left nut for one of mom’s apple pies.

In my home: Apples, cherries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, sweet corn, ahhhh. I would give my left nut for one of mom’s apple pies.

OOOOOOOOOOOOR, Rhubarb Crumble with a dab of Birds Custard eh. . licklips.gif

In France you cannot purchase the label

Organic farming has it together in terms of pest control management and non organic products are not necessary

Farms are checked regularly

It's one of the most watched sector

the big problem is price, contrary to the contaminated farming, it's not subsidized, and supermarkets multiply prices by 5 to 10

Edited by aneliane

• 8 months later...

OP - If you can have a microwave in your apartment you can cook nutritious good tasting food. There are a zillion sites online that tell how.

I cook my eggs in various styles in a medium sized microwave oven ... Eggs are my specialty. I have discovered ways to make eggs look and taste like they are fried or scrambled or even make an omelet. If anyone wishes to know my techniques then ask and I'll post it... pretty straight forward actually.

One can also cook soup in a microwave - canned or powdered. From scratch soups made in a microwave are more laborious - but it can be done. Then there is the good old baked potato .. (if you can get a potato in the local market)... Sweet potatoes work too. My Thai friends get precooked sweet potatoes from the local open air markets complete with their own protective skins.

The amount and variety of good fruit in the local market is amazing... You can probably even find avocados - which are a nature packaged delight. So - living on junk food is just not necessary.with just a little effort. You should take precautions with possible toxins in fresh foods as other posters have suggested - but don't get scared off. Maybe you should find a Thai friend who can help you understand the local fresh food market..

For those who have 50-60 sq. meters of space in a courtyard or patio or whatever ... And you want fresh non toxic veggies and fish - try Aquaponics -- just google it and search youtube... it is a quite amazing way to grow your own... There are several Aquaponic projects going on in Thailand now.

everyday i read dont eat this, dont eat that.

screw that i'm eating it if it tastes good, I like the fat more then the bacon, im into it.

I'm in my 30's, never expected to make it to this age, everydays a bonus and im doing what i please.

are their chemicals in the food, hell yes, as there are in every country.

everyday i read dont eat this, dont eat that.

screw that i'm eating it if it tastes good, I like the fat more then the bacon, im into it.

I'm in my 30's, never expected to make it to this age, everydays a bonus and im doing what i please.

Better start making arrangements for health insurance today. You'll have a hard time getting insurance when the chickens come home to roost and you still have another few decades to live with the consequences.

To the OP's dilemma, it reminds me of that old joke:

Patient: Doctor, doctor, please help me- it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then quit doing it.

Edited by impulse

• 1 year later...