Lax To Bkk

ichingguy

I'm sorry to hear they cancelled the non-stop flight, that was always my favourite on this route. I would recommend EVA, that's always my next choice. Prices are a almost always cheaper than Thai. Layover is in Taiwan (TPE), which is usually about 3 hours. Nothing special, but they have new planes on this route (777's), and provide a reasonable service at a good price. The layover kind-of sucks, nothing to do in that airport, but that will be pretty much the same on any other carrier.

Take late night flight from LAX. China Air, EVA. Leave LAX at ~ 0120, arrive at Taiwan about 0600. Leave Taiwan about 0900, get to Bangkok about 1100. If you take the day flghts from LAX, you get to BKK at 0200. OK if you are familiar with the area.

Last three trips out of LAX I flew EVA Premium Elite class. For about 1700 you get the bigger seats, plenty of elbow room. Seamless and quick check-in. I think it is worth the extra 400 USD or so over coach.

I flew EVA from LAX to BKK in '08, my last trip to Thailand. Was in their class between economy and business. Don't remember how much extra it cost but the seats were way better than economy and worth it. I've heard this has changed depending on what aircraft type they use on the route. Check seatguru.com or the like. The stewardess to passenger ratio was much lower than in economy.

Layover in TPE was not bad. I like to walk during layovers, plenty of time for that. The airport has a travelers hotel. At that time one could get access to a shower room, sauna, small lounge with free PCs, tea and a few chairs. All for $10. Never had a shower before during a layover on a long flight. It charged my batteries so well that now I look for layovers with that option.

I have had great deals with eva and korean air. Think i got lucky on the korean air deal, havent seen that price since. I actually cancelled that korean air return ticket, and they let me reschedule whenever i wanted within one year no extra charge. That blew me away.

Edited by meand

The asian airlines are much easier to deal with than others. I like KAL also, but don't like the long layovers in Seoul!!

Agreed, but it is bearable. Korean chicks are so so hot, and there is free wifi. I notice those women aren't the nicest in the world however. Anyway, that is another thread :)

I just flew Korean Air. The Airbus 380-800 is awesome. Pick flight numbers 17 & 18 for their 380. You will enjoy a very relaxing flight. There are free showers, laptops, desktops. and wi-fi nside the Seoul airport. Very pleasant layover. Good luck.

• Like 1

I flew EVA from LAX to BKK in '08, my last trip to Thailand. Was in their class between economy and business. Don't remember how much extra it cost but the seats were way better than economy and worth it. I've heard this has changed depending on what aircraft type they use on the route. Check seatguru.com or the like. The stewardess to passenger ratio was much lower than in economy.

Layover in TPE was not bad. I like to walk during layovers, plenty of time for that. The airport has a travelers hotel. At that time one could get access to a shower room, sauna, small lounge with free PCs, tea and a few chairs. All for $10. Never had a shower before during a layover on a long flight. It charged my batteries so well that now I look for layovers with that option.

I got the economy and got the emergency exit seat. Oh god, so amazing and very cheap. Best flight i've ever had to Asia. Great airline, highly recommended. Would love to see more flight options from them.

I can just give you a quick review of the return BKK / LAX. Came in last October on the non stop from LAX but had to go back yesterday on the new routing via Seoul

In a word, it sucks

First of all don't believe the BS to get to the airport in BKK three hours before flight time, since for the 07:30 Departure they don't open the check in counters until 05:00. Then the Business Class lounge doesn't open till 05:15

Once you get to Seoul there is a crew change so you must exit the aircraft and go through a full security search to include hand carry bag X'ray and wand search before they let you into the terminal so you can "shop" for your approximately 1 hour transit. Your screwed if there is another plane landing at the same time since you can spend your entire transit time going through security. Once they start boarding on the same aircraft that you arrived on, you are subjected to another hand carry bag search in the jetway prior to boarding

Next year I will go through Europe and Thai will never see me again

Stay away from UA business...I just flew BKK-SFO on them and worst biz-class I have ever experienced. Never again!

FB - Would you mind to give a few details on that UA flight to SFO please? I was looking at that J route but always hesitate being a US carrier and in readings, was not clear if the bird on that route had lie flats or still those OBGYN angled seats. Thanks,

Jay

Edited by 55Jay

I flew Korean Air for the first time and had a great flight. Prior to Korean Air, I flew Japan Air Lines, THAI, China Airlines and Delta Airlines. Korean Air service was great and the flight was smooth. I shopped on the net to compare prices and flight info and settled on buying my ticket on Korean Air's website because that had the best deal. Korean Air will be my first choice Airline for my future flights.

Stay away from UA business...I just flew BKK-SFO on them and worst biz-class I have ever experienced. Never again!

FB - Would you mind to give a few details on that UA flight to SFO please?

I have a thread down a few posts in the travel forum about my booking this flight. My last entry is a brief summary of the leg to SFO (where I am now). I am prepping a full flight/trip report and will post it soon.

can anyone tell me why it costs a lot more to go from bKk to LAX than LAX to BKK. It seems all the deals are only from the

America end? I've been living in Thailand for 5 years and noticed the disparity the last few years. Usually, about $200 more

from the Asia end.

can anyone tell me why it costs a lot more to go from bKk to LAX than LAX to BKK. It seems all the deals are only from the

America end? I've been living in Thailand for 5 years and noticed the disparity the last few years. Usually, about $200 more

from the Asia end.

Supply and Demand, a lot easier for a US citizen to get a visa to Thailand, than for a Thai to get a visa to the US

from the Asia end.

Supply and Demand, a lot easier for a US citizen to get a visa to Thailand, than for a Thai to get a visa to the US

Wouldn't that equate with more demand from the US end and hence higher prices? I am just guessing but maybe the fact that Asia is booming economically (at least until very recently) and the USA has been mired in a mini-depression for years may be a factor.

I am flying out of Bangkok on the 11 of july I called eva a month early and there were no seats avaliable until the 11th. I asked her about a few other options and the same answer all seats booked. I did get an upgrade to business using miles. I have been flying EVA for about 7 years and the service is fantastic. If you fly the same airline there are benefits recieving miles.

Edited by moe666

I am flying out of Bangkok on the 11 of july I called eva a month early and there were no seats avaliable until the 11th. I asked her about a few other options and the same answer all seats booked. I did get an upgrade to business using miles. I have been flying EVA for about 7 years and the service is fantastic. If you fly the same airline there are benefits recieving miles.

Agree EVA is a very good airline and can be difficult to get a seat (I guess lots of Taiwanese business and leisure travel btwn TPE and BKK). Their biz class seats are not 180 lie-flat but still very good. Service is very professional but food is only so-so...same with the biz lounge in TPE...not that great and often crowded. The lounge in BKK, however, is very relaxing and not crowded; the SFO lounge is again okay...decent selection of snacks/drinks but gets very crowded.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Except China Air just raised the bar to 100,000 miles for a free trip to the U.S. and miles expire after 3 years. I'll never be able to fly free so who cares what airline. I've got no more loyalty with these corps.

from the Asia end.

Same as from Europe to BKK. Flying to BKK most people want to do it, i.e. they have a choice. Most people flying from BKK to USA or EU have to do it, no choice.

I can recommend ANA via Tokyo. I used them on a flight to Vegas last year and very good service onboard, not a lot of waiting .

And they belong to the same bonus program as Thai so you can use the miles..

Edited by balo

I got the economy and got the emergency exit seat. Oh god, so amazing and very cheap. Best flight i've ever had to Asia. Great airline, highly recommended. Would love to see more flight options from them.

I find requesting the emergency exit seat so risky. Sometimes the seats don't recline in that row--especially next to the window/door. Has something to do with special configuration for the emergency row. Nothing worse than a 10-14 hour flight sitting ram-rod straight up--no matter HOW MUCH leg room!

Edited by Fookhaht

I can just give you a quick review of the return BKK / LAX. Came in last October on the non stop from LAX but had to go back yesterday on the new routing via Seoul

In a word, it sucks

First of all don't believe the BS to get to the airport in BKK three hours before flight time, since for the 07:30 Departure they don't open the check in counters until 05:00. Then the Business Class lounge doesn't open till 05:15

Once you get to Seoul there is a crew change so you must exit the aircraft and go through a full security search to include hand carry bag X'ray and wand search before they let you into the terminal so you can "shop" for your approximately 1 hour transit. Your screwed if there is another plane landing at the same time since you can spend your entire transit time going through security. Once they start boarding on the same aircraft that you arrived on, you are subjected to another hand carry bag search in the jetway prior to boarding

Next year I will go through Europe and Thai will never see me again

ALL airlines operating through BKK open their gates two and half hours before departure, not just THAI. The extra hour is encouraged for the growing number of airlines that have self-service check-in kiosks and only have the desks open for bag drop once the pax have checked themselves in. Most people still struggle with the DIY options while the smart traveler does his check-in ON LINE before going to the airport. Most airlines offer on line check in up to 30 hours pre- departure.

The extra security checks at INCHEON, not Seoul, are not unique to THAI either. It is mandated by the edicts of the US Department of Homeland Paranoia Security and the TSA. Even US flagged carriers have the annoying 'final' carry on baggage check either at the gate or in the jetway. Regardless if you chose to fly via Europe, the final US-bound flight will have the same silly rigmarole with stern-faced foreigners shouting at you versus the sweet cajoling and apologetic interruptions you get on this side of the planet.

I find requesting the emergency exit seat so risky. Sometimes the seats don't recline in that row--especially next to the window/door. Has something to do with special configuration for the emergency row. Nothing worse than a 10-14 hour flight sitting ram-rod straight up--no matter HOW MUCH leg room!

Take the time to check seatguru.com before you select your seats next time. It is pretty accurate and will let you know by simple colour coding if the selected emergency row seats have any drawbacks; white seats are standard, yellow seats have some advantages/disadvantages, green seats are best and red ones are to be avoided. A lot of airlines won't allow you to select emergency row seats online so the trick is to book something close and then get to check-in early and request a move. They need to make sure that you aren't an invalid or otherwise physically challenged to sit in that row and usually they will assign you the seat you are seeking.

Highly recommend Korean Air. Make sure you book their new Airbus 380-800 (flights #17 & #18). The 380 is fancy and crew is superb. The price is around $1,300. The layover in Seoul is easy, due to the free showers, free wi-fi, and free computers. Good luck.

I can only speak for exit row seats on Cathay Pacific - wonderful! No problem reclining the seats. I could stretch my legs. And they let me plop my carryon in front of me, even though it was blocking the exit door (rest assured, I would have moved it in case of an emergency landing, if I wasn't sleeping).

Edited by californiabeachboy

Korean looks cheaper than most but their layovers all look like 21-30 hours!!! China ain't a great airline but, at least,

I'm only in Taipei about an hour before I board the flight for LA.