Pedestrians Are Really Starting To Annoy Me!

ebmzlm

Even if they are 3, 4, 5, 10 side to side people blocking the all road and you have to wait 25 minutes behind them, humans are first.

there are far too many cars anyway

25 minutes....lets not go too far!

Id hope a 'right of overtaking' could be negotiated between the cyclist and 3,4,5,10 people before that time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Train horns mounted on trucks are in vogue where I am living now. Nothing gets your attention like a train horn when it goes off as it sounds like Maxwell's Silver Hammer coming down to smote you!

Vietrnam? Everybody uses their horn there. When I lived in Hanoi I put a car horn on my bicycle and it saved my life a few times.

Lastly I drive both a motorbike and a bicycle, sometimes my uncles car, take the family to the zoo etc,

The two biggest dangers for all drivers are:

Pedestrians they do not look at anytimes whilst crossing the road, walking in the streets etc. there are a lack of pavements around the inner city streets! You are always constantly dodging them, even with a beep or a hoot they rarely move.

2. The cart pushers, with fruit, food etc, they never look when they pull out, again causing drivers to manoeuvre.

I choose to ride my bicycle, for exercise nothing more. I don't jump red lights, or think I can do as I please. I don't weave in and out of cars. I drive solely on the left side of the road, allowing all traffic to flow from behind.

I would suggest that after all these years here and NOT assimilating some of the more esoteric driving/pushing/walking/standing road practices of Thailand, as long as you are out and about on 2 or 4 wheels, you are an accident waiting to happen. If you insist on driving as you would back home and expect other road users and abusers to drive differently, you are a fool to yourself and a burden to others.

Soi Bukhao is little more than a footpath at the best of times and there is so much foot traffic in the area it's hard enough to walk, much less ride a bike.

I agree with the OP that pedestrians should be cognizant of other traffic around them as it's a give and take situation trying to navigate that soi. But some punters do walk around with their head up their rear end.

My suggestion to the OP is to buy one of those small air horns like you see at sporting events. When riding up behind foot traffic walking in the road and they won't move, give them a blast of the horn from about 2 meters away and watch them piss their pants getting out of the way.

Having said all that and with the OP's best guess that they were middle eastern cheap charlies. If they were walking down the middle of the road oblivious of all around them, then they must have been Indians. I have seen whole families of curry-munching dot-heads Indians walking down the street, side by side, not even heeding the car horns, their heels being clipped by the bike or the wing mirror in the ribs. It's in THEIR culture to walk in traffic, just like the cows they venerate.

There was a follow up to the Phuket bus tragedy that claimed the lives of some young Swedes that the Swedish government should warn Swedish tourists of how perilous the buses are in Thailand. Then there's the one about advising the older, retired English lonely heart not to be buying condo's on high floors. Can we expect the Indian government to start warning their people visiting Thailand to practice walking in Indian file when here?

Same in Cambodia.

I'm working here at the moment and I swear they purposely walk towards you. They also tend to walk along the road looking in an opposite dirrection completely oblivious of what's going on around them, completely no awareness at all!

I think they have that village mentality where one can basically walk around blindfolded and not bumb into anything. And then they move to the city with the same attetude :)

We need to have patience and give way to them.

Lastly I drive both a motorbike and a bicycle, sometimes my uncles car, take the family to the zoo etc,

Pedestrians they do not look at anytimes whilst crossing the road, walking in the streets etc. there are a lack of pavements around the inner city streets! You are always constantly dodging them, even with a beep or a hoot they rarely move.

2. The cart pushers, with fruit, food etc, they never look when they pull out, again causing drivers to manoeuvre.

I choose to ride my bicycle, for exercise nothing more. I don't jump red lights, or think I can do as I please. I don't weave in and out of cars. I drive solely on the left side of the road, allowing all traffic to flow from behind.

You ride your bike for exercise.... on soi buaw kaow??? How stupid is that?

Cars are seriously starting to annoy me

Sois are alleys, ie for humans strolling, not for cars

According to who's social rulebook?

According to urbanization laws

Sois were certainly not designed to have cars fumigating everyone in such small space

Sois were certainly not designed to have cars fumigating everyone in such small space

What is that tarmac area in the middle of my soi (with a white dashed line painted down the middle) for then?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

What is that tarmac area in the middle of my soi (with a white dashed line painted down the middle) for then?

Testing how pissed you are.

• Like 1

You ride your bike for exercise.... on soi buaw kaow??? How stupid is that?

Depends where I started from!

The only broke[n] white lines on Soi Buakhow are the ones queueing for the ATM...

Edited by SimonD

Pedestrians are the least of your worries

I was stopped in a traffic jam today on my motorcycle waiting for the car in front of me to drive when an idiot

in a brand new fortuner came straight into the back of me

knocked my bike forwards and sidewards a bit ( it didnt fall though ,i was able to hold it up with my leg ) and bent my number plate and put a nice scratch in his body coloured bumper (white )

for a brief second i thought about murder and then i calmed down and drove off

there was no sense in calling the police (he hit me from behind so he was completely in the wrong although i was in the 3rd lane waiting to turn right

and "technically " motorcycles must be in the left most lane at all times so i didnt want to be inadvertantly blamed for his damaged new car

(farang in the wrong place at the wrong time caused an accident etc )

,i was able to bend my number plate back into place so my bike stil looks new but he will need his bumper sprayed

even stopped in a <Snip!> traffic jam is periilous ,no idea how he hit me ,4pm on a bright afternoon day ,i wearing a blue shirt and a white helmet and riding a pretty large

650cc kawasaki versys

i can only guess he was sending an sms or updating his facebook page on an iphone ,impossibe to say really as he had a tinted mirrored layer on all his windows and the only thing i could see was my own reflection

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed from post.

trying to make place for what was not meant to be

Sorry, "urbanization law" doesn't have any meaning to me. I'm guessing you're expressing your opinion that "cars shouldn't use small soi's", in the same way you might say "the sidewalks shouldn't be blocked by street vendors" or "people shouldn't kick dogs". Rules and laws don't exist here for the public benefit - they are in practice used for the wealthy and powerful to use as weapons to further their own interests, and by the police and other officials to use to line their pockets.

99% of the streets and sois in urban areas were there long before people drove cars. Nothing about Thai land use was ever "designed" by anyone according to any rational plan, there isn't any effective urban planning going on here as I'm sure you've noticed.

I love creeping up in my rather quiet car on people who walk in the middle of the street, back to traffic...and then give them a terrific HONK. Watch them jump to the side of the street because that's the usual reflex action. Strangely satisfying.wai.gif

Well I will be leaving my apartment very soon, for another adventure on the bike, to then finish up for a cold drink on Soi buakhow!

If I see some annoying pedestrians today a picture will be taken to prove the point I originally made.

Three solutions...

1) If on your push bike ring the bell (you do have one?) or on the m/c bip your horn (you have one of those too?)

2) Mount some high powered water rifles on the bike and blast those mindless, insolent offenders out of your way - then pedal like f*** before they come after you rolleyes.gif

3) Get an air horn. The type with a bubble on the end you can squeeze. cycle quietly up behind the offending people who dare to be in your way and blast like crazy, scaring the sh*t out of them. Then also pedal like......

laugh.png

Road rage on a bicycle.... LOL.

Whats he going to do...beat the offenders to death with his bicycle pump..?....tongue.png

And get the pedestrian get back hitting him with a jar of pickles. I can see a movie being made of this cheesy.gif

Cheap Charlie's generally.

Ah dont ya just love it when the sterotype card gets played......ok your a cyclist right....so you have a goatee beard, wear an anorak and drink pepermint tea and prance around the house in your lycra cycling shorts because youi think it make your "package" look bigger and therefore will impress the ladies more with your gentleman equipment..whistling.gif

Actually for your information, I'm 26, I have a lovely wife and son in thailand, been here nearly 7 years, I own

Numerous motorbikes of which are rented out. And bla bla bla.

Your a typical stereotype, what they called mmmm oh right Haters.

OP, for someone who's been here for 7 years and your now at a youngish age of 26 IMHO you really do need to spend less time on your PC, get on your bike more and spend less time whining about cheap charlie pedestrians and facebook Thai women scam artists.

Soi Buakow is a road for motorists to use but is also a busy road that pedestrians use because of the lack of pavement, whining bike riders also use the road, though I must say I havent seen Glitterman on it for sometime.

If you come across pedestrians walking on the road jump off your bike and ring the bell,

in the nearest bar, that should clear the road of all cheap charlie Arab pedestrians for you, pay the bin and jump back on your bike and carry on your journey repeating the process when you need to. The cheap charlies will love you for it.

You could also ring a bell or toot a horn which would work out a lot cheaper for you. I've found that when driving a car on Soi Bukaou and other similar roads that a gentle beep of the horn pedestrians whether Thai or Farang or even cheap charlie Arabs will move aside.

HTH.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Whats he going to do...beat the offenders to death with his bicycle pump..?....tongue.png

And get the pedestrian get back hitting him with a jar of pickles. I can see a movie being made of this cheesy.gif

Would we feature JT as "Pickleman", wronging rights and creating anarchy in the streets with a variety of imported delicacies

Police are looking for a haggis-heaver who pinged a policeman with the great chieftain of puddings. In an earlier incident, a jar of silverskin onions had been used in a daring daylight raid on fast moving traffic in Sukhumvit Road... PC Chumwitaplod said "We believe a foreigner may be responsible, as there was no trace of naam pla at the scene of the crime...".

SC

Would we feature JT as "Pickleman", wronging rights and creating anarchy in the streets with a variety of imported delicacies

Police are looking for a haggis-heaver who pinged a policeman with the great chieftain of puddings. In an earlier incident, a jar of silverskin onions had been used in a daring daylight raid on fast moving traffic in Sukhumvit Road... PC Chumwitaplod said "We believe a foreigner may be responsible, as there was no trace of naam pla at the scene of the crime...".

SC

It appears Glitterman now has some competion in Pattaya...I wonder what costume JT would wear... A tutu and tiara ?

Cheap Charlie's generally.

Ah dont ya just love it when the sterotype card gets played......ok your a cyclist right....so you have a goatee beard, wear an anorak and drink pepermint tea and prance around the house in your lycra cycling shorts because youi think it make your "package" look bigger and therefore will impress the ladies more with your gentleman equipment..whistling.gif

Actually for your information, I'm 26, I have a lovely wife and son in thailand, been here nearly 7 years, I own

Numerous motorbikes of which are rented out. And bla bla bla.

Your a typical stereotype, what they called mmmm oh right Haters.

OP, for someone who's been here for 7 years and your now at a youngish age of 26 IMHO you really do need to spend less time on your PC, get on your bike more and spend less time whining about cheap charlie pedestrians and facebook Thai women scam artists.

Soi Buakow is a road for motorists to use but is also a busy road that pedestrians use because of the lack of pavement, whining bike riders also use the road, though I must say I havent seen Glitterman on it for sometime.

If you come across pedestrians walking on the road jump off your bike and ring the bell,

in the nearest bar, that should clear the road of all cheap charlie Arab pedestrians for you, pay the bin and jump back on your bike and carry on your journey repeating the process when you need to. The cheap charlies will love you for it.

You could also ring a bell or toot a horn which would work out a lot cheaper for you. I've found that when driving a car on Soi Bukaou and other similar roads that a gentle beep of the horn pedestrians whether Thai or Farang or even cheap charlie Arabs will move aside.

HTH.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Finally someone with a sense of humour.

Think I had a bit of som-num-nah today, as I was riding down Soi buakhow, my chain snapped!

Which then made merge pedestrian so I thought why not! Let's walk in the middle of the road.

And as per usual both westerners and Thais, weren't interested to beep, they as always went round me.

By that point taking a baht bus was the best option.

Beware..

Some might find twisted humour annoying.

Wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities.

One person's annoyance might be another's muse.

Beware..

People that find things can take them as they find them. If they didn't want upset, they shouldn't have found it. People that take offence when none was offered are thieving - worse than gypsies, so they are

SC

Beware..

People that find things can take them as they find them. If they didn't want upset, they shouldn't have found it. People that take offence when none was offered are thieving - worse than gypsies, so they are

SC

Difficult to remedy, as nearly all models of offensive and threatening entities are manufactured for us.

All a bit moot.