Land Prices In Chiang Rai

Nepal4me

Wondering what prices might be for 10 to 20 rai quite close to CR, within 10 miles or so. I realize it depends on the type of land, view, close to main road etc but just ballpark estimates would be great.

I don't find the word 'ballpark' in my dictionary, but I am curious what others think about my estimates.

I don't expect you to find much under 100.000 and I wouldn't pay more than 200.000 for one rai.

But for a piece of 20 rai 10 miles out of town you might end up cheaper.

Recently I heard about a nice piece of land of 7 rai which went for 500.000 (with sanod, road and electricity, about 7 miles out of town). I consider that cheap. Smaller pieces are sometimes priced according to the amount of money the seller needs at that moment and are not market related :o . This can work out in two directions.

You can contact real estate brokers, but you can also have a chat at a village's local shop or foodstall (for obvious reasons the first category wouldn't recommend this).

Greetings,

Limbo.

Land prices in Chiang Rai have risen sharply in the last few years. God forbid you should want to buy a piece of land next to where a farang has recently bought some as the price will have risen sharply for that reason alone. By default you will be asked to pay a price that may be considerably higher than what a Thai may be aked to pay. But don`t forget it is your duty to haggle. If you can tell them you can pay cash tomorrow it strengthens your haggling arm.

The 10-20 mile from town thing doesn`t always make sense. You may find land 4-5 kilo`s from town that will be 1/2 the price of others 20 kilo`s away.

Do you want land with a "chanod"? Personally I don`t think that it is all that important as long as you are confident that the land has been transferred to your wife/GF`s name. Usually done via the Pooyai Bahn(village headman) and a witness.

You can purchase contract papers to itemise the names and details of buyer/seller fees and land dimensions etc from a shop in town just before the main market where the guy copies your keys for you and will sell you a padlock too! The headman signs the contract(probably 1000Bt), as does the witness(3 bottles of Chang). feel free to take a lawyer along to witness it if you wish, but usually that is not necessary. You can then go to the land office to apply to have the name changed to the piece of land. A new document is then produced with the new name.

You can always apply for a chanod for the land that you buy after you buy it. The criteria for this is that you have to have a house with a roof and a toilet. Small or big house. 1 room is ok.

At the end of the day, going back to the cost of land, it is worth only as much as people are wiling to pay for it. I might be willing to pay 50,000 per rai for a certain plot. Wheras you might like the plot more than I do and you want to secure it for yourself. So you might be willing to pay 80,000 per Rai. Ergo the price of land in that area will now be 70-80,000Bt per rai.

I have a small piece of land in a village 5 kilo`s from town. 35,000Bt per rai 3 and 1/2 years ago. now because many farangs have purchased land in the same vicinity the price has shot up to 250-300,000Bt per rai in that short period(YIPPEE!!).

Many people will give you there opinion that a particular piece of land is cheap or expensive, but just remember what i say before. Land is only worth what you are willing to pay for it as long as you are sure that the price is not totally over the top.

What I have written is obviously my opinion. And the land buying guide is a rough idea of what you have to do. I may have ommitted one or two details. Forgive me please all you guys who are waiting to pounce.

It really helps if your Wife/GF has a reasonable knowledge of the process. If your going it alone into uncharterd territory then be on your guard.

One last point. In my opinion the using of land/ estate agents is also pushing up the price of land and houses unnecessarily for obvous reasons. Take your time and look at lots of areas/land and it will also give you a guage as to the price of land.

Do you really want 20 Rai? Is ithe land you want to build a house on? Do you realise how big even 10 rai is and the amount of work it requires?

Good luck. Take your time. :o

P.S. as for the prices of land. It`s impossible for me to say as the price varies from one village to the next. Even over a distance of 1-2 kilo`s, rice land, mountainous flat etc.

Edited by chang35baht

You should be able to find land on a dirt road not far (1 km) from a paved road withing 20 miles of the city of Chiang Rai for about 80,000 baht. You need to find someone who really wants to sell. If you go around and ask about land for sale then everyone will tell you a price....some prices will be very high because those people are not really interested in selling...unless you are willing to pay their unreasonably high price....hey, ask me if my land is for sale and I'll tell you that it is if you want to pay a million baht per rai!!!!

Spencers Theory - Willing seller Willing buyer.

What I suggest is that you drive around and you will see the for sale signs on the property. Ring and you will get a idea of price after speaking to a few people. What you will also find is that these properties have been on the market for some time. Thialand property market for used units and land in the north not very exciting. The 100000 baht a rai sounds a good ball park figure but this should have all services available to the land.

If you like something that you see and it fills your need, it might be then worth it.

Good luck :o

• 6 months later...

i'm quite surprised at the low prices being mentioned here for land in cr.

i think those low prices are for land either without proper chanod, or are far away from the city (more than 7 kilo) or arent that private, or arent that beautiful? dunno.

i did months of homework with 3 diferent agencies, and countless phone calls of our own direct to sellers.

i paid around 300,000 per rai for land. i think its ok beacuse surrounding parcels are being offered at 500 k. the piece i got is 6 kilo from center, but very private, and with amazing view as its on a hill.

so my point is that i really dont think theres that much available for the low price of 100k unless no title, no view, no privacy.

Wondering what prices might be for 10 to 20 rai quite close to CR, within 10 miles or so. I realize it depends on the type of land, view, close to main road etc but just ballpark estimates would be great.

Chang35baht is spot on.

Over the last few years in Chiang Rai all areas where farangs live have shot up in price.

Recently I went to look at a nice 1 rai site about 2km from city centre and they're looking for 1,500.00 baht, reason being because some idiot of a farang paid over a million for the neighbouring site. Good luck to him.

Rule of thumb in the North......25 miles /50 Kms radius...C.M :D

unregistered land (take a chance)..........60-80,000bt /Rai

registered .........................................180-360,000bt/Rai

fully surveyed with Pooyai Bahns OK....250-400,000bt/Rai

Chanod...local prices..........................350-500,000bt/Rai

when the farang/agent shows his face and gets involved.......skys the limit.. :o

hint..try and AVOID ....agents

Chang35baht is spot on.

Over the last few years in Chiang Rai all areas where farangs live have shot up in price.

Recently I went to look at a nice 1 rai site about 2km from city centre and they're looking for 1,500.00 baht, reason being because some idiot of a farang paid over a million for the neighbouring site. Good luck to him.

Agreed, some deep pocket farang don't even know what prices they are paying, just because they wanted their misssu to be happy. I would not look for land that is price crazy.

Edited by Thaising

• 5 months later...

of course there are many variables, such as distance from city, amount of privacy, how clean or cluttered adjacent plots are etc, view,

but what is your estimate average value/price for 1 rai with no buildings within 5-10 k from city center. with full chanot.

thx

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm looking for opinions from CR residents knowledgeable about prices for village house blocks.

My wife wants me to buy a small piece of land in her home village in Wieng Chai district about 12km out of Chiang Rai. Asking price 180,000B, 150 talang wah in area. The price initially sounded OK, but after reading this thread, perhaps not.

A bit about the land. No chanote, but allegedly could be obtained later via the Kamnan, It is on the paved main road through the middle of the village. Serviced for electricity and water. It would be a slice taken off her childhood neighbors house plot. The elderly owners wife is ill and they want to get some cash by selling a piece of their land. 13 m wide road frontage, about 45m long. Fairly level, drops by about 1m from front to back. Good soil, a number of large trees and a concrete irrigation ditch at the back, with rice fields behind the land.

Opinions on whether this sounds like a fair price please.

Edited by whimsy

Heres acouple of Extracts fro a local agents site in C.R...Wieng Chai...

.....NO NAME...I have No connection...only for Info..... :o which will give you a vague idea of wot the score is....... :D

you pays yeour £$...and.....

City เมือง: Wieng Chai-Location: 25 km E. of Chiang Rai

Province: Chiangrai-Noise Level: quiet

Price: 5,600,000 baht-

Distance to Main Road: 1 km-

Lot Size: 28 rai

Full Description: Set off the main road only 1 km, this very nice piece of land has 3 large fish ponds, some rice fields and large mature trees. A beautiful place for agriculture or even a house.

City เมือง: Wieng Chai-Location: 20 km E. of Chiang Rai

Province: Chiangrai-Price: 2,280,000 baht-

Distance to Main Road: 500 m

Lot Size: 19 rai

Full Description: For only 120,000 baht per rai, this land offers spectacular views overlooking a large public lake. Close to a good road yet no road noise at all. This must be seen to be appreciated. More land in the area can be purchased at a similar price.

City เมือง: Wieng Chai-Location: 20 km E. of Chiang Rai

Province: Chiangrai-Price: 750,000 baht-

Distance to Main Road: on good road

Lot Size: 7.5 rai

Full Description: A gem of a piece of property - quiet but with a good road, less then 100 m from a pond, mountain views, electric. It has some mature trees as well.

City เมือง: Wieng Chai-Location: 15 km E. of Chiang Rai

Province: Chiangrai-Price: 1,200,000 baht

Price in US$: 30,000

Distance to Main Road: 750 m.

Lot Size: 12 rai

Full Description: 12 Rai of terrace rice fields that are bordered on 1 side by a stream and on the other side by a National Forest. Very scenic. All 12 rai have chanot.

City เมือง: Wieng Chai-Location: 15 km E. of Chiang Rai

Province: Chiangrai-Price: 400,000 baht-

Distance to Main Road: 1 km

Lot Size: 4 rai

Full Description: 4 rai of rice fields bordering a beautiful National Forest. There are mature trees and lots of water. A great place to build a quiet house. The price is for all 4 rai with chanot.

Hi, I'm looking for opinions from CR residents knowledgeable about prices for village house blocks.

My wife wants me to buy a small piece of land in her home village in Wieng Chai district about 12km out of Chiang Rai. Asking price 180,000B, 150 talang wah in area. The price initially sounded OK, but after reading this thread, perhaps not.

A bit about the land. No chanote, but allegedly could be obtained later via the Kamnan, It is on the paved main road through the middle of the village. Serviced for electricity and water. It would be a slice taken off her childhood neighbors house plot. The elderly owners wife is ill and they want to get some cash by selling a piece of their land. 13 m wide road frontage, about 45m long. Fairly level, drops by about 1m from front to back. Good soil, a number of large trees and a concrete irrigation ditch at the back, with rice fields behind the land.

Opinions on whether this sounds like a fair price please.

in my opinion 180.000 for 150 tw 12 km outside chaingrai without chinote and only 13 m wide is expensive,if you work it out they are asking nearly 500,000 per rai,

also the deal is never straight forward when you start cutting slices off other pieces of land

to mr nepal4me

i have seen land sell for as little as 5,000 baht per rai with chinote from a bank auction to 9,500/11,000 baht per talang wah (thats what sintannee 2and 7 want for their housing projects).

i agree with thaising go and see the local banks in chaingrai they have plenty of land on their books all with chinote or nor sor sam i have had dealing with the bangkok bank the kasikorn bank and the scb and found them most helpful