More Racist Dual Pricing In Bangkok

AyG

It seems from the press that the BTS is going to introduce a 50% discount for those over 60, encouraging the elderly to use the skytrain for "their safety and convenience". However, the discount is only for Thai nationals. I guess the "safety and convenience" of the elderly who aren't Thai is of no import whatsoever.

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they ask for ID of everyone, it's not racial. If they don't bother asking for ID of for example an old Chinese lady from China, it IS racial. Which way do you reckon it will happen here? coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think the word "racist" should be reserved for the (hopefully hypothetical) day when they tell the passengers with black skin to sit at the back.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

Nothing racist here, plenty of other countries do the same. Australia for instance issues a concession card to pensioners which allows discounts on public transport. Nothing wrong with a country giving a break to it's own people.

There is plenty of real racism around without having to spin things like this.

• Like 2

Why shouldn't they offer a discount to their own old people? I don't see any reason why old folk from other countries should get a discount.

Yeah, sure, but what about that old Chinese lady from China who I reckon is going to get the discount as well?

I think the word "racist" should be reserved for the (hopefully hypothetical) day when they tell the passengers with black skin to sit at the back.

Didn't they try the whites only seating a year or so back or was that just a notthenation wind up.

post-34593-0-61408900-1340182462_thumb.p

Why shouldn't they offer a discount to their own old people? I don't see any reason why old folk from other countries should get a discount.

Yeah, sure, but what about that old Chinese lady from China who I reckon is going to get the discount as well?

Are you jealous of her?

You have no issue with the ageism involved, but you take offense because its being offered to only citizens of the country?

" It seems from the press that the BTS is going to introduce a 50% discount for those over 60, encouraging the elderly to use the skytrain for "their safety and convenience". However, the discount is only for Thai nationals. I guess the "safety and convenience" of the elderly who aren't Thai is of no import whatsoever."

We have these 'freedom passes' in the UK and you take your paperwork and photos and get one ... not sure that means anyone from any country can rock up and use transport for free. Perhaps there should be other passes for them they can buy at the windows if elderly but hardly the worst case of 'racism'

My son asked for a student pass , he was with me at the time (I note as he never gets the racist dual pricing when with his mother).

They asked him to show an ID card from his school - he did and got the discounted student pass.

Correct! I am a student here under 23 years old and I get the student price for bts or whatever else. My student card works for the museum or cinema as well.

The way I look at it is that if the service is provided by the government and the people have subsidized the service through the payment of taxes etc., then they may quite rightly limit the discount to their nationals (with Thailand, however, not that many peope actually pay taxes). However, when it is a private company, they have no such argument and it becomes an issue of unfair pricing or at worst racisim.

How much to Thai pensioners get per month from the government in pensions - B500 if memory serves me right. Most expat pensioners here have either savings / a (small) UK state pension or a private pension or combinations thereof and have the required 400'000 baht per year income of 40'000 baht per month. The principle is wrong but from the other perspective would you think it correct if a non resident Thai pensioner staying in the UK got the extra winter fuel allowance??

Are you jealous of her?

No. Just used "her" as an example. If you didn't get my point, sorry. (But I think you DID.)

A post with absolutely no source regarding the info contained it and the fact that seniors of all nationalities currently can receive a big discount (i think about 50%) riding the subway. The only source I see (Bangkok Post) regarding the discount and the BTS clearly states one simply needs to present an ID.

Edited by Nisa

Oh god, please make it stop

Can some please pass me a bottle of scotch and a bottle of aspirin, please. I need to go and find a quiet room.

I could be gone for some time.

Indeed he was and with those words the Artic Explorer, Lawrence Oates, ... "I am just going outside and may be some time" ... RIP wai.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Heyyyy, careful, that's my hi-so mother-in-law you're talking about ! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

They have a similar system in UK (and many other countries).

There is no connection between such concessions and racism.

Totally agree, dont like dual pricing whatsoever but this is for OAPs..UK OAPs get a FREE bus pass but tourists dont...same as.

If they ask for ID of everyone, it's not racial. If they don't bother asking for ID of for example an old Chinese lady from China, it IS racial. Which way do you reckon it will happen here? coffee1.gif

And this is the main reason why everybody should stop calling themselves farang, farang farang.

By calling ourselves farang all the time, we will only consolidate us as being something else, something very alien.

Sure the thais will still call us farang, but please dont make it worse by refering to yourself (not talking abou you jingthing, but in general) as a farang all the time.

I laugh when I see posts like, "can a farang start a business in Thailand"?, "can a farang go to a regular hospital"?, "can a farang open a bank account in thailand"?

The answer is yes, in fact, if a foreigner can do it, you can also do it, even though you have white skin.

Edited by ayayay
  • Like 1

They have a similar system in UK (and many other countries).

There is no connection between such concessions and racism.

Totally agree, dont like dual pricing whatsoever but this is for OAPs..UK OAPs get a FREE bus pass but tourists dont...same as.

I don't you are correct, the free travel is linked to your Council Tax, so if you are a Thai of a certain age and living in the UK, you would get one. I as a UK OAP, do not get one as I live here.

I can understand if it's subsidised by the government, but it's not as the BTS is a private company.

Not really arguing for or against.