More Racist Dual Pricing In Bangkok

AyG

Rather than referring to Thais, Farangs, Brits, etc as a collective group, it would be more (politically correct) to provide the full names of all the millions of people who constitute that group.

In practice, categorisation of many people under one common name makes the conversation flow more smoothly. The key is that one should remember that every person is a unique individual.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

<deleted>. Referring to nationalities based on their nationality is perfectly acceptable. You present an ridiculous suggestion, naming everyone by name, that not one person would ever take as serious or practical. There is definitely a difference between labeling by specific nationality and labeling by terms such as f-rang or Oriental.

As you rightly said in your previous post, it depends on context. If you are referring to white foreigners, why not use the term farang?

Equally, the grouping of "Thais" is often used erroneously to imply that everyone of Thai nationality shares the same ethnicity.

The key is to make sure the tag or label you use is actually appropriate to the group you are talking about.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like the word f-rang, that's why. The way it is used by Thai people is so often derogatory. I accept its wide use by Thais (no choice but to) but don't like it and there is no requirement to like it. I agree with the other poster who suggests that we who are called f-rang, should NOT use it ourselves. That is the only power we have on the matter so why not use that crumb. No it will not change anything but it is a small way of not cooperating with something obnoxious. I can't imagine a Chinese-American referring to themselves as "Oriental" these days.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I don't like the word f-rang, that's why. The way it is used by Thai people is so often derogatory. I accept its wide use by Thais (no choice but to) but don't like it and there is no requirement to like it. I agree with the other poster who suggests that we who are called f-rang, should NOT use it ourselves. That is the only power we have on the matter so why not use that crumb. No it will not change anything but it is a small way of not cooperating with something obnoxious. I can't imagine a Chinese-American referring to themselves as "Oriental" these days.

I agree it can be used in a derogatory way (as can any word) but it is normally used as a harmless shortened version of "white skinned foreigner".

I do agree though that is over used, (including by Farangs) and often used erroneously to refer to all foreigners, or all Westerners, many of whom are not white.

As I think we both agree, the most appropriate use of language always depends on the context.

By the way, I am not sure how it is in America, but in the UK the term "Oriental" is still very much in use, including by a Chinese-American ex-colleague of mine referring to herself.

I don't like the word f-rang, that's why.

Hi Jingthing

Your own personal choice --- don't use the term. That is your right. Others don't care -- or even quite like it.biggrin.png

But we drift away from the absolutely ridiculously entitled OP:

"More Racist Dual Pricing In Bangkok"

What is described is not "dual pricing" --- and it is most certainly not racist!

By the way, I am not sure how it is in America, but in the UK the term "Oriental" is still very much in use, including by a Chinese-American ex-colleague of mine referring to herself.

I had heard that before which is why I specified how that word is now viewed in the U.S specifically. I'm not sure why it developed that way in the U.S. but I have a clue. When I was growing up people did widely use the Oriental word but the tone of their voice (and context used) was typically rather insulting. I am guessing people of Asian descent picked up on that and decided to steer the country away from using that word. They succeeded because Americans are sensitive to the complaining voices of minority groups. We have no such power in Thailand, but that's another story. Of course many older people in the U.S. still use the word but it is dying out. Edited by Jingthing

I think I can appreciate that decision without thinking of it as a racist issue.

There are many things our countries do to support the elderly that we don't allow

tourist to take part in. coffee1.gif

Interestingly the MRT already offers an elder rate of 50% off for all nationalities.

The Airport Link offers a discount for those over 60 who are Thai nationals.

Yeah , how to really confuse an old person.

Get them to take the MRT, BTS and ARL in one day! Three different operators, 3 different tickets and 3 different ticketing policies!

Yes - us old folks are really too stupid to be able to handle three different ideas at once coffee1.gif

You missed the point my friend, it was a sarcastic example to highlight why the current private concessionaire structure is stupid. :)

(As an aside, technically I would question that one would be "handling 3 different 'ideas' at once", right? I mean you can't ride all three metros at once unless you have reach a certain stage of enlightenment.........)

Thai is a nationality. It's absurd to compare calling Thai people Thai to calling white of all nationalities f-rang. OK, Thai is also an ethnic group as well, but it is well understood based on context whether you mean Thai the ethnic group or Thai the nationality (almost always the latter).

Just exactly that, could not have said it better myself.

I agree with the other poster who suggests that we who are called f-rang, should NOT use it ourselves. That is the only power we have on the matter so why not use that crumb. No it will not change anything but it is a small way of not cooperating with something obnoxious.

This is what I try to explain. Great there are some more people who gets it.

So can anybody confirm what OP has told us?

Like another poster has reported, all I have seen is a snippet in The Bangkok Post advising that from next month a Rabbit Card will go on sale offering a 50% discount for off peak travel for seniors, the snippet I read just said seniors.

I believe it's against forum rules to link to or quote from "the other English language newspaper". However, if you do a search for such terms as "Discount for elderly BTS passengers" you might find a source that says "A special ... card will be issued for senior passengers who are Thai nationals".

I believe it's against forum rules to link to or quote from "the other English language newspaper". However, if you do a search for such terms as "Discount for elderly BTS passengers" you might find a source that says "A special ... card will be issued for senior passengers who are Thai nationals".

The first line of the article says "people over 60" will receive a 50% discount. Then it later talks about a "SPECIAL" card for senior Thai nationals.

I agree with the other poster who suggests that we who are called f-rang, should NOT use it ourselves. That is the only power we have on the matter so why not use that crumb. No it will not change anything but it is a small way of not cooperating with something obnoxious.

This is what I try to explain. Great there are some more people who gets it.

Life must be good guys if you can be bothered with such a small matter.

• Like 1

My son asked for a student pass , he was with me at the time (I note as he never gets the racist dual pricing when with his mother).

They asked him to show an ID card from his school - he did and got the discounted student pass.

Correct! I am a student here under 23 years old and I get the student price for bts or whatever else. My student card works for the museum or cinema as well.

ditto my 30 year old mate at uni .

I wonder that if this new card is, as the BTS claim, designed to keep seniors out their cars and onto their system, how can they justify only making it available to Thai citizens?

Surely they would want to keep all the old codgers off the road.