Democrats Seek Facts On Status Of Nasa Project

Lite Beer

Democrats seek facts on status of Nasa project

The Nation on Sunday

30184795-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party holds a rally against the government in Phisanulok Saturday evening.

The opposition Democrat Party yesterday urged the government to clarify reports that Nasa has transported its equipment to U-tapao airport in Chon Buri since May 18.

Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said the government has not made it clear whether it would approve the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration request to use the airport, but Nasa's official website indicated that the agency moved its equipment to the airport last month.

He said China had expressed concern over the use of Nasa's ER2 planes because they look like spy planes used by the US and they can fly higher than 21 kilometres from the ground. Some radar cannot detect these planes.

"I call on the government to clarify about this project and its impact on the country's sovereignty. The government must also seek Parliament's opinion according to Article 190,'' the spokesman said.

The spokesman also dismissed a claim by Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi that the project was initiated during the Democrat-led government.

Deputy Government Spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ardh said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjaiva could ask any question over the establishment of the HADR - humanitarian assistance/disaster relief - to US ambassador to Thailand Kristie Anne Kenney.

He said Prasong Soonsiri and Kasit Piromya could join the interview or witness the event, if they want. "Will Abhisit accept this proposal? If not he should keep his mouth shut,'' Anusorn said.

He said the government is ready to provide television airtime for the interview with Ambassador Kenney, along with representatives from the Bureau of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation to provide information if needed.

Anusorn criticised Abhisit's comment that the government must reveal complete information about the mission if it wants the project to be approved.

He said the US had approached the issue in a straightforward manner by seeking permission through the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Age.

He said after the agency had approved, the US proceeded with the project with the Science Ministry and the Foreign Ministry respectively.

He said Nasa wanted to know within Tuesday whether the government would give the nod for the project because it has to get its annual budget ready.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-24

I do not think it is unwise to look thoroughly at this offer before accepting.

The State I come from in the US turned down NASA numerous times due to various concerns.

In spite of the obvious economical gains

Yes of course some of the rhetoric here is political surely .....but still it is good idea to look long

& hard at this offer before accepting.

IMO only of course

Edited by flying
  • Like 2

^ Please quote your state and the projects turned down to make me believe any of your post.

I do not give out personal information.

Not to worry though as my post was not seeking your belief/approval.

Bottom line (& you may leave my comment about my State out of it) is.......Read the fine print & know what

they ( Thailand ) are getting themselves into/allowing.

It has been said in this thread or the other on this subject that the US is not known for

allowing other governments to inspect their shipments nor equipment.

It has nothing to do with sovereignty and everything to do with China having concerns about what the USA will actually be doing there, and this is never what they say they will be doing there. the Thai politicians will only be measuring how much they can personally enrich themselves for either allowing it or not; both will pay financially. The democrats are just pissed off that they will be missing out from the cash.

How about let some Chinese stay together with the Americans. I am sure the Americans are gradefull if some Chinese help them with learning about the weather. There isn't nothing secret on the weather, or?

• Like 2

The state you come from is personal ? lol Uh-huh thats what I thought more BS. I hope nasa doesnt spend any money here or share their research data with them. Other countries in the region are more than willing to have this project. Just another childish bs game being played by the two political powers here, with a loss to thailand of money and valuable research data.

I was evacuated from house for two months during last year's flood. Anything that would help these nitwits do a better job of rainfall projection and water management, frankly, would be worth them losing some sovereignty. Because, when it comes to emergencies and natural catastrophes, nobody is in charge, here, anyway.

News flash. It is NASA. Even US citizens don't know what the hell these guys get up to. So how does the democrat party of the Kingdom of Thailand expect to get any facts from them. Hahaha. cheesy.gif

Giving NASA access to anything anywhere is as good as giving them a blank check to do what they want.laugh.png

• Like 2

The state you come from is personal ? lol Uh-huh thats what I thought more BS. I hope nasa doesnt spend any money here or share their research data with them. Other countries in the region are more than willing to have this project. Just another childish bs game being played by the two political powers here, with a loss to thailand of money and valuable research data.

There have been some pretty serious changes to the regional weather patterns, and Thailand is pretty much centrally located and a fly over spot for the area. Considering the recent flood and weather that brought it on, having a weather monitoring system in Thailand seems very prudent. Add to that that even if NASA has a 'tag along payload', there is nothing the USA can't monitor now that means squat to Thailands interests, and little to China's beyond their raising their paranoia level.

Edited by animatic

. I hope nasa doesnt spend any money here or share their research data with them.

a loss to thailand of money and valuable research data.

cheesy.gif

Yes take their marbles & go elsewhere....

After all they deem it usually not safe enough for their citizens/tourist

Why would they want to put a launch site here whistling.gif

Edited by flying

. I hope nasa doesnt spend any money here or share their research data with them.

a loss to thailand of money and valuable research data.

cheesy.gif

Yes take their marbles & go elsewhere....

After all they deem it usually not safe enough for their citizens/tourist

Why would they want to put a launch site here whistling.gif

After all that the US has done for Thailand and how little goodwill the US recieves in return, the US should leave the Thais twisting in the wind. But hey, Im sure it will work out. After all, the Chinese have always been great neighbors, just ask Vietnam!

Let's focus on stuff like Lady GaGa and NASA weather station and ignore any legitimate problems or concerns that may affect Thailand. NASA weather station should be way down the list of concerns for these rocket scientist politicians.

Too funny about the NASA conspiracy theories in US and abroad. Yeah, NASA is actually conspiring with the aliens to poison the water supply, impregnate all Thai bar girls, and take over SE Asia.

After all that the US has done for Thailand and how little goodwill the US recieves in return, the US should leave the Thais twisting in the wind. But hey, Im sure it will work out. After all, the Chinese have always been great neighbors, just ask Vietnam!

Vietnam is a strange example to show how nasty China in compare to USA is....

• Like 1

The article errs in stating that U-Tapao is in Chonburi. It is entirely located in Rayong Province.

Hmmmm, if these people are so metaculous about such errors.... Hats off. How about paying the same attention to spellings of places and provinces. Road signs and road commands... Seemed they were translated by some chinese dictionary. Egs: Turn left waiting light... Why not... Turn left on green.

Make up your minds and cut the crap the content and dates of something planned months ago just needs a yes or a no! The cut off date is Tuesday... Planning on loosing face?

I think everyone else is politicizing an issue that has a very simple solution. Just lay out the facts as the Democrats requested so people won't have to speculate, especially since the Dear Leader had many malfeasance during and before his premiership. In any case when someone is skeptical about a situation, all you have to do is provide the facts and evidence to negate their skepticism People can speculate that NASA will impregnate all the women and put poison in the water or the use of U-TAPAO as a military base all they want and they will keep speculating unless you provide them with information. The government is not providing any information and is patting the air with one hand, "it's okay, it's nothing like that"..

Edited by ThaiOats

laugh.png

Not if know anything about Vietnam, my friend. Feel free to look into how the Vietnamese view China. Facts are our friends!

Edited by tzthib

Not if know anything about Vietnam, my friend. Feel free to look into how the Vietnamese view China. Facts are our friends!

??? care to explain ???

??? care to explain ???

Sure. A basic google search should be sufficient.

ANCIENT TIMES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_domination_of_Vietnam_%28disambiguation%29

ON THE CHINESE INVASION OF VIETNAM 1979

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/prc-vietnam.htm

Robert Kaplan's article in the last edition of The Atlantic. This may be the best place to start.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/06/the-vietnam-solution/8969/1/?single_page=true

I dont have time find all the links to the myriad news articles taling about Vietnamese-US relations over the past 5 years. Needless to say, the Vietnamese are very interested in an improved relationship with the US.

Isnt it odd, Burma is drifting from China after years of support. Vietnam is turning to the US after their long history with China....

• Like 1