Students' Blood Scare In Kalasin

Students' blood scare in Kalasin

The Nation on Sunday

KALASIN: -- Some 148 students from Khammuang Industrial And Community Education College in Kalasin were forced to undergo a blood test because of fears of possible communicable diseases after it was found that fake doctors used one needle for blood tests on many people, an informed source reported yesterday.

The students and their families have called for college executives to take responsibility.

Kalasin governor Somsak Suwannasujarit set a remedial centre at Kham Muang Hospital after "doctors" who did blood tests for the college's June 12 annual health check were found to be fake and to have used one needle on many students.

The centre provided a blood test for HIV. So far, none of the 148 who took the test had HIV. They were advised to take another test at the centre on Sept 28.

Somsak assigned a committee to probe the case within one week while another committee will probe the Bt100 fee collected from each student. The incident upset many parents, who might make a move to sack the college executives.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-01

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, . . . Any wonder why they have difficulties in solving unusual deaths. That defies common sense. Forget education. Either that or more concerned about saving a buck or two for fresh needles.

• Like 1

How could this happen, aren't there any security or backgroud checks, what about asking which hospital these 'doctors' say they work at and calling or visiting the hospital, basic checks which were obviously not done.

• Like 1

Deplorable. Exposing innocent children to the possibility of deadly diseases by bottom feeding scum bags for monetary gain is utterly despicable. perhaps the police could ensure little or no security when the scum are paraded for the reenactment. A good public beating would be the least they deserve.

• Like 1

The fake doctors and the needle reused 148 times to test for HIV are two different issues both arising from the Thai habit of risking human life for petty financial gain and/or expedience or indifference to human life.

• Like 1

For 100 measley baht a student, someone exposed students to aids and perhaps worst yet...the fear of uncertainty of it. The needles were used on June 12. Duh no one tested positive...it will take several months for antibodies to develop which is what they test for.

Subm. they were testing for existing AIDS cases.

Which makes the needle sharing so much worse,

considering they SHOULD know this is a well known transmission method.

Well considering the Doctors were FAKE,

how and where did they actually TEST THE SAMPLES????

If they even DID test the samples?

Chances are the reuse of needles was because,

not being real doctors, they had limited access to any needles to use.

Were the test results fake too, just to get the money.

All it takes is some printing and you have an official looking lab statement.

'No, your test is Negative you have no social diseases.'

And the check is already cashed.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Incidents like this are a cause for grave concern among parents. They seriously undermine parents' trust in ALL school-based vaccination and other health programs. This could result in many parents refusing to allow their children to be vaccinated at school. School-based health programs are very effective at reaching this age group, and anything undermining them would be a potential disaster.

Too think even in an international school the head would still be relying on the Thai staff to vet the incoming medical personell. Would there be the usual 'don't make someone lose face ' attitude,

even if the know the medicos are not up to snuff?

Edited by animatic

Worst of all this is an educational establishment, and so students who have been witness to this are absorbing on a subliminal level that this cheap underhand scammery is a good example to follow and a value to carry with them through life.

I've always told people to avoid Thai doctors unless at a very reputable hospital. Like many 'upper class' Thais many of them have simply bought their degrees.

You are correct that in Thailand medicine is a gold-framed example of "you get what you pay for". Thailand has some of the very best doctors in the world, who travel the globe giving speeches to other doctors on such things as hip surgery and spine surgery etc. But they work in the upmarket private hospitals. Downmarket it can get pretty bad in many cases.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla

Why do healthy young people need a yearly blood test ?

Blood samples might be taken for scientific testing, for example, to detect asymptomatic infections, such as malaria, or to detect drug and alcohol usage. There are probably several other reasons besides these. That would require parental permission for students unable to consent legally for themselves.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

If ever there could be a case for a group of citizens, rounding up all of those involved in this fisco, and handling it on a personal basis, this should be at the top of the list.

No doubt, if my child got infected because of this I would definitely resort to fracturing some orbital sockets and breaking some ulnas/radius.

I've always told people to avoid Thai doctors unless at a very reputable hospital. Like many 'upper class' Thais many of them have simply bought their degrees.

You are correct that in Thailand medicine is a gold-framed example of "you get what you pay for". Thailand has some of the very best doctors in the world, who travel the globe giving speeches to other doctors on such things as hip surgery and spine surgery etc. But they work in the upmarket private hospitals. Downmarket it can get pretty bad in many cases.

ermm.gif

It can be pretty spotty at all levels, in fact. Cost may be a popular indicator of quality, but it does not guarantee it.

It can be pretty spotty at all levels, in fact. Cost may be a popular indicator of quality, but it does not guarantee it.

I see your point that there is no guarantee of quality. In my experience I've spent a lot of my life in Thai hospitals since the 1970s, sometimes five months continuous as in-patient. The best doctors and most successful treatments and surgeries I've ever seen anywhere in the world have been in Bangkok private hospitals. However, I've been in bad hospitals here too. In my experience though, if you pay the money you get world-class treatment here. That is speaking as farang who can afford the high private fees here, I know it is not true of other hospitals where I have also spent many less-happy months.

Edited by Yunla

Needles are available from most pharmacies in an assortment of sizes. They cost less about 5 Baht each.

There's no scarcity & the cost is close to zero. That makes it all the more despicable...

• Like 1

I see your point that there is no guarantee of quality. In my experience I've spent a lot of my life in Thai hospitals since the 1970s, sometimes five months continuous as in-patient. The best doctors and most successful treatments and surgeries I've ever seen anywhere in the world have been in Bangkok private hospitals. However, I've been in bad hospitals here too. In my experience though, if you pay the money you get world-class treatment here. That is speaking as farang who can afford the high private fees here, I know it is not true of other hospitals where I have also spent many less-happy months.

I guess we are both speaking from personal experience, and yours seems far more extensive than mine. My experience is that hospital services, at least, are variable in quality, and it seems there is a correlation between cost and quality. However, while the overall quality of a hospital (expertise, facilities, standards, etc.) may be high, other factors can come into play, such as staffing levels, the availability of beds, whether the icu is already full, staffing patterns (don't get sick on a Friday night, if possible), training, staff motivation and dedication, attention to detail, empathy, personal hygiene, etc, etc. Ability to pay also makes a big difference, as you suggest. If you need a second MRI, who's going to pay? I have seen an mri machine "break down" in such circumstances, where it was unclear who would pay, or perhaps the payment was deemed inadequate. It can be a very mixed bag, but i concur with your general assertion, and defer to your greater experience. :)

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

For 100 measley baht a student, someone exposed students to aids and perhaps worst yet...the fear of uncertainty of it. The needles were used on June 12. Duh no one tested positive...it will take several months for antibodies to develop which is what they test for.

Not necessarily so according to this site:

HIV reproduces rapidly once transmitted, with the high virus activity detectable in up to 90% of people in the first two weeks following infection and readily detected by HIV Home Kit rapid home HIV instant test kits – though some people may not exhibit symptoms of HIV for up to six months.

But overall an appalling situation and one hopes that in addition to dismissing the entire school executive that criminal charges are also brought against them and the fake "doctors" they employed. Unfortunately stupidity is not a criminal offense while defamation and naming anyone involved would no doubt see those responsible racing off to file police complaints.

Edited by Scott
Commercial link removed
  • Like 2

The concern should be Hepatitis.

I won't bore anyone with the stats, but Hepatitis is endemic in Thailand.

Thanks, GK. Would annual checkups be the norm for hepatitis? I haven't heard of it happening at Thai schools before. Parental/guardian consent would be required, would it not?