Sunrise Tacos Pattaya Big C Location

SunriseTacos

Well, I for one, recognize the restaurant business is a very tough one, and I am not really expecting Mexican food in Thailand to taste like East L.A. but one can dream. As far as chefs of "ethnic" food it usually helps to have cooks who grew up with and know what the food is supposed to taste like and have a passion for making that happen. Not going to happen much in Thailand.

There IS great tasting Mexican food in Thailand.

Had it again at Billy's LaMonitas in Bangkok the other day.

The place is awesome and I would rate it the same as my favorite places in California.

• Like 2

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest if you go to a food court to eat you do not want to spend 200 baht ,if i am in a food court the wife and i are there to shop and we can grab something to eat for 100 baht for both of us ,now thats not being tight ,its just common sense ,i believe its the reason that the pizza place in central food court closed nice but to expensive for the surroundings ,if i am spending a large amount of money on food(for us who live here ,not tourists) i want to eat in nice surroundings.

Well, I for one, recognize the restaurant business is a very tough one, and I am not really expecting Mexican food in Thailand to taste like East L.A. but one can dream. As far as chefs of "ethnic" food it usually helps to have cooks who grew up with and know what the food is supposed to taste like and have a passion for making that happen. Not going to happen much in Thailand.

The place is awesome and I would rate it the same as my favorite places in California.

Understood. We're in Pattaya here. It doesn't exist in ... Pattaya.

Yes many of us HOPE to see better ... someday ... in Pattaya. But for now I think it's pretty clear, Sunrise comes closest which may not be saying much considering the competition.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes many of us HOPE to see better ... someday ... in Pattaya. But for now I think it's pretty clear, Sunrise comes closest which may not be saying much considering the competition.

Yes, we are stuck hoping for something better but I won't be holding my breath. Sunrise is off my list as is Mike's. I was going back to Tequila Reef ONLY cause I had coupons from Freeplayo but the past few times I've been in there they give me a hard time over the free chips and salsa promo that is displayed all over the freeplayo site. It's absolutely ridiculous to advertise a promotion and then hassle the customers that try and claim it.

I went to Sam's once and found it acceptable considering the lack of alternatives. Guess I will be going back there when I feel I must east some mexican food.

• Like 1

Well, if La Monitas could bring their Mexican food passion to Pattaya, they'd have a gold mine.

I remember when people thought we'd never even get a Sunrise here and those people were wrong.

There is a demand here. Just someone come and fill it. Please!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Having the owner on site makes the difference in most restaurants.

Went to SRT the other week, ordered a pitcher of the margarita asked for 2 extra shots of tequilla to be added to the mix because at the best of times the sugar is so overpowering you cant taste anything else but sickly lime. When I used to go when the fillipino lady was there before she gave birth the mix tasted better and not so sweet, you could taste the alcohol too.

Now with the alcohol that they already put in plus 2 extra shots you expect the mix to be strong and quite runny as there is less ice and more alcohol.

When I got it all I could taste was sugar and ice with an acidy aftertaste. I never usually go anywhere and complain once I have got something bad I just simply wont go back but this time it really got to me. Paying 100 baht a shot of el jimador or whatever its called that $700 baht or so in the shops which I dont mind paying but only if I can taste the stuff. I asked the man, are there 2 extra shots in there? He said yes, I said I cant taste anything, can you please check if you put 2 extra shots in. He went back over and put more tequilla in. When I got it back it tasted a bit stronger but still nothing compared to what I was getting way back when the fillipino lady was doing the drinks for us.

I havent been back since and wont go again. Fool me once etc. I got pretty bored of the food there after 2 visits. The burritos are tasteless and far too big, you also cant just pick it up and eat it, you have to use a nice and fork which is annoying. I ordered the avocado dip with some chips, what I got was a bowl of avacado that had been mashed. No seasoning, nothing added, just avacado the last time I ordered it also months back was very tasty.

Yes I can't be sure but it is my impression they have made the margarita much sweeter than before. I used to order them but now the sugar is so overpowering I won't ever again. I also had that impression of the Tamarindo mix. That's supposed to be sugary but not that sugary.

I think the burritos are pretty OK and don't have a problem with knife and fork style. The taste can be adjusted based on the meat your order and also of course adding SALSA.

Edited by Jingthing

Last time, I ordered the sour cream in my burrito at SRT to make it a "super" burrito style. Not too sure what it was that put on. Maybe a Ranch dressing and it was runny and off white color but it was not sour cream. Weird taste on a burrito!

I must say that the chicken at Sunrise is better than that absolutely tasteless boiled white chicken at Mike's Mexican. The tomato salsa is also better at SRT.

Sorry to read about the price increases. SRT was already over priced. Squeezing loyal customers is always a mistake because they are the ones that return, not the tourists that eat there one time.

Tequilla Reef is ok. I would probably eat at their place more often if there was a second location because I hate going down to Soi 10 Zombieland.

SRT is ok for Pattaya. After all, this is Thailand and we are lucky to have it, I guess.

I keep dreaming that one day there will be better Mexican food and a really good American/California style pizza in Pattaya. (if you don't like American/California pizza, then that's you problem)

Last time, I ordered the sour cream in my burrito at SRT to make it a "super" burrito style. Not too sure what it was that put on. Maybe a Ranch dressing and it was runny and off white color but it was not sour cream. Weird taste on a burrito!

It was merely SRT's way of letting you know that sour cream doesn't belong on Mexican food.

FYI: Any custom burrito at Sunrise includes a choice of cheese or sour cream, with an additional charge if you want both. In my experience the sour cream is actually really sour cream. They do have other white sauces there, such as the white sauce for the Baja fish tacos.

Edited by Jingthing

I keep dreaming that one day there will be better Mexican food and a really good American/California style pizza in Pattaya. (if you don't like American/California pizza, then that's you problem)

For pizza how about New York Pizza House? They're pretty good.

For pizza how about New York Pizza House? They're pretty good.

I agree. I only get pizza there or maybe boca if I'm in the area.

New York Pizza was very salty. Last time I bought for four people and there wasn't a thumbs up from anyone. Everyone complained about the salt. The pepperoni and sausage could have been much better tasting. Topping are rather light and the thick crust is too thin for my taste. Their pizza sauce is in need of some spices. OK but definitely could be improved.

Only ordered the sour cream one time at SRT because I didn't like what I got. Maybe the cook used the wrong topping or was out of the sour cream and substituted a salad dressing.

BTW, sour cream is often used with Tex-Mex and California style Mexican foods. It is often more fancy than traditional Mexico style. Most Mexican food in California and Southwestern US is prepared by Mexicans and they do use sour cream. A California super burrito typically has sour cream and jack cheese as well as beans, cilantro, flavored rice and fresh tomato salsa with choice of meat and optional hot salsa and jalapenos. Sour cream is also a great addition to nachos and chicken tostadas.

Pretty amazing....

It sounds like, because we live in Thailand, we should just put up with second rate...

I disagree

When someone figures it out and decides to create a business with repeat customers in mind, then that will be a success wai2.gif

Good luck to that Entrepreneur who goes against the grain and just does it right!

Small Edit:

To avoid crap food, i pick my restaurants by the amount of diners there are having a meal...

Edited by pcdude

If you don't leave Pattaya, it's either eat at a local place of your choice which nobody is suggesting that any are world class, cook it yourself, or nothing. I fully respect all of those free will choices. We all have our own personal tolerance levels of what's acceptable enough to spend money on as opposed to nothing.

I completely understand the nothing choice. Before Sunrise, I chose nothing except for a few attempts at cooking some Mexican flavors at home.

Edited by Jingthing

If you don't leave Pattaya, it's either eat at a local place of your choice which nobody is suggesting that any are world class, cook it yourself, or nothing. I fully respect all of those free will choices. We all have our own personal tolerance levels of what's acceptable enough to spend money on as opposed to nothing.

I completely understand the nothing choice. Before Sunrise, I chose nothing except for a few attempts at cooking some Mexican flavors at home.

But there is an underlying problem which I think many business suffer from.

"Lets employ cheap ass labor" syndrome

Which is then followed up with less clientelle

Which then comes with a side dish of "lower quality food"

And for the desert its "another failed business"

I design sites and do killer SEO and many companies will sacrifice their business to save an extra 30-100 k

Those that dont sacrifice on cheap design and SEO always destroy the competition and make the big bucks...100k is then chump change

And the same should be said about food.

Be up there with the best and see where that takes you before you scrimp on details and think that branching out will solve your cashflow....

Edited by pcdude

Another way to look at it is that if every Mexican place in Pattaya that wasn't great went out of business, someone in the future considering opening up a better Mexican place might conclude there isn't demand for Mexican food here. Period. There is a demand here for what it is here and I think that is evidence there is demand for better.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing....

It sounds like, because we live in Thailand, we should just put up with second rate...

I disagree

When someone figures it out and decides to create a business with repeat customers in mind, then that will be a success wai2.gif

Good luck to that Entrepreneur who goes against the grain and just does it right!

Small Edit:

To avoid crap food, i pick my restaurants by the amount of diners there are having a meal...

You'd be eating at Maccas regularly then.giggle.gif

Pretty amazing....

I disagree

Small Edit:

You'd be eating at Maccas regularly then.giggle.gif

Not really. My wife watches cooking shows and surprises me with splendid dishes all the time. She has perfected scallop potatoes, spaghetti bolognaise, shepherds pie, tacos, beef stew, homemade hamburgers, rissoles, tuna casserole (just to name a few), and has promised me a real cheese cake soon as she can get the kids of the PC so she can YouTube "how to make a cheesecake"

My missus doesnt like the "farang" food that's dished out here (too salty, too sweet or too bland due to inexperience with knowing what the food should taste like), except for the occasional cordon bleu which is quite nice in Soi Bukhao (I forgot the name of the restaurant but its usual very busy)

• 3 weeks later...

I resisted from commenting on this when it was opened before but since it's at the top of the pile of threads again: I haven't experienced any of the Sunrise Taco's establishments but did experience the ST van at the Jesters fair weeks ago and sorry to say but first impressions of the tacos were not good. Tasteless. Wouldn't make we want to go to one of the fixed locations.

I resisted from commenting on this when it was opened before but since it's at the top of the pile of threads again: I haven't experienced any of the Sunrise Taco's establishments but did experience the ST van at the Jesters fair weeks ago and sorry to say but first impressions of the tacos were not good. Tasteless. Wouldn't make we want to go to one of the fixed locations.

From the point of view of a passerby: I am in that Food Court every day either for coffee or food. During my 20-30 minute sitdown, Sunrise would not have a single customer. That's from the beginning when it opened to the end. Considering the number of farangs passing through there on a daily business, you'd think there'd be the occasional lineup.

I've had less than satisfactory experiences at the Sukhumvit Sunrise -- soi 14, I think. So I wrote that shop off. As for the Big C shop, it just didn't have any eye appeal, for lack of a better phrase. So I was never attracted to it to even try it once. I also heard there were some early food quality problems at the Jomtien Sunrise shop when it opened. So that added to the disinterest.

Personally, I don't think its fair to directly compare a food court version and a special event fair version to the full service restaurant experience (along with the robust salsa bar) that is on offer in Jomtien. There is no doubt in my opinion that what is offered at Jomtien is the best option for Mexican food in town. That doesn't mean there aren't issues with it or that it would be popular in East L.A. (or even stay open) but ... we're here.

Edited by Jingthing

I gave up on Sunrise at Big C Extra. Ate there a couple of times but the last time a couple of months back it was really bad.

Food not fresh because no customers and no quality control.

I have eaten a couple of times at the Jomtiem location and would go back there as the quality is okay there.

As others have stated including myself Sunrise might work in Central as it gets more tourists who are prepared to pay more. BIg C Extra is more an expat hangout than a tourist place.

• Like 1