Offensive Sign

smokie36

post-78923-0-80071800-1344078069_thumb.j

"No Thai women to drink here by themselves

No coming in groups

You must dress politely

No fondling and kissing

(women must have man with them)"

My girlfriend read this today and found it offensive....it was prominently dispayed at the bar we were having a drink at.

What do you think?

• Like 2

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

• Like 2

I think the only time a woman may find that notice offensive, if she were a freelancer out on the pull.

Could prove bad for business and perhaps that establishment have had problems in the past and this is the reason that notice is displayed?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

Two young professional Thai women decide to drop by for a Gin and Tonic and are pointed towards the sign.....can you explain to them why they cannot have a drink at a bar in their own town please?

In which case they're a) not on their own and B) its obvious they're not looking for a 'farang'.

CC's Soi 11's sign I believe 'did' allow two women to sit down together for a drink but 'did' make a decision based on how they were dressed.

I don't know if it's still there or not, had to stop all that enjoyment thing when I became an old married F-rt

In which case they're a) not on their own and cool.png its obvious they're not looking for a 'farang'.

Is 2 a group?

In which case they're a) not on their own and cool.png its obvious they're not looking for a 'farang'.

Is 2 a group?

I'm sure the bar owner is able to differentiate between the odd woman looking for a 'mark' and the two friends out for an after-work drink...

"My girlfriend read this today and found it offensive....it was prominently dispayed at the bar we were having a drink at.

What do you think? "

I think you should find a better class of Bar to patronise.

No decent establishment would find it necessary to display this sort of sign ergo I would never go there - and it follows that I would never take a respectable Thai girl to such a place either.

Patrick

In which case it won't affect you.

The owner is obviously trying to differentiate between his bar and those employing women for hire (cough, cough)... If he is successful, he may attract farang/Thai couples where the woman has developed an aversion to bars employing women for hire.

Believe it is Cheap Charlie's on soi 11. Hard to be diplomatic about something like this, but he's clearly sending a warning signal to freelancers, which would be bad for his business and ruin his place in about 2 seconds flat. Suspect though that a 'we reserve the right to deny service' might be a compromise, assuming people knew how to read between the lines. And I suspect they don't.

• Like 1

Maybe they were fed up with deadwood foreigners coming to try and pick up hookers, but didn't expect a sign saying "No whoremongers" to be very effective.

Did they actually enforce the rules?

Maybe they were fed up with complaints from single Thai ladies who were accosted by foreigners, and since it was the foreigners that kept the bar till running, it was easier to remove the temptation.

Was the place rank with Russian hookers, by the way?

SC

EDIT: My apologies to the Russians, by the way. Most of the former Soviet Republic ladies that I have met in bars around the world were from republics other than Russia. I should know better, having been called English so often. Again, my apologies. And also to the ladies from other republics.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Maybe they were fed up with deadwood foreigners coming to try and pick up hookers, but didn't expect a sign saying "No whoremongers" to be very effective.

Maybe they were fed up with complaints from single Thai ladies who were accosted by foreigners, and since it was the foreigners that kept the bar till running, it was easier to remove the temptation.

SC

You've obviously a good point here. The place is awash with Russian hookers and I've no doubt the sign was to discourage them from venturing into the bar.

SC

You've obviously a good point here. The place is awash with Russian hookers and I've no doubt the sign was to discourage them from venturing into the bar.

Native Russian women can read Thai ?....WOW they must be quicker at learning the languge than the vast majority of TV posters then !

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't take a girlfriend to the type of bar that felt the need to display this kind of sign but that's just my own preference.

I can understand your girl being offended because she may genuinely want to have a drink alone or with a girlfriend one evening.

On the other hand, the bar may be in an area popular with freelance hookers and probably wants to discourage their patronage since they tend to attract less than desirable male punters with a predilection for turning every encounter with alcohol into an excuse for a loud party to the detriment of ordinary tourist or local custom.

Guess you have to look at both sides.

Satthit, the owner of cheap charlies but the sign up at the behest of the chinese thai owners of the soi and suk 11 guest house.

When they ousted all the massage parlours, Sathit was told to discourage the gathering of Thai women or lose the space.