What Do You Do Here In Thailand

PattayaParent

What do you do here in Thailand?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd first thought about this poll after a comment Samran made in the thread about salaries of Thais which was something along the lines of 'there's a lot of forum Members that have no real idea of how much Thais can really earn' and the same sort of comment can be applied to foreigners earnings here judging by the recent thread on expat salaries.

I believe that the people we associate with and meet daily colours our perception of the world around us, so a retiree may well not meet the better educated Thais who are engineers etc. working and earning good salaries and also not come into contact with the foreigners that are also earning good salaries in MNCs or large Thai companies.

So who does what here in Thailand?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am retired but you will have to guess what I do to fill the days whistling.gif

Post Shootings, Murders, Suicides from Pattaya on a Daily Basis, starting around 5pm ? cheesy.gif

Oh! Was it that easy to guess sad.png

I work for a Thai company. We do have banches outside of Thailand though so not sure if that makes it a MNC.

Note that this answers the question what I do in Thailand some of the time, it does not answers why I'm in Thailand. True MNC staff gets sent here so the reason they're here is the same as what they do.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I thought the majority of expats were retired special force soldiers or secret agents

oops, I forgot that option.

Maybe vote under 'other'

Edit: I'm surprised there's no teachers yet but maybe they are still at work (local / language schools) or on holiday (international schools).

Edited by PattayaParent

My wife and I met in Uni and studied the same thing in Oz.

After saving up a bit of cash we moved here, was planning on just staying here a year to have a break, but opened up a company after 6 months and been here 3 years since.

So we work together, we do the same thing at work. We have not try to kill eachother yet which happens to a lot of husband/wives who work together. But time will tell.

I thought the majority of expats were retired special force soldiers or secret agents

Aye, but you've got to keep your hands occupied during the day doing something, or you'll hurt yourself while cleaning your weapon.

I suppose it depends on how fast you clean it, right enough...

SC

Having lived here for more than 35 years, 30 in Bangkok and 5 in Chiang Rai, so I could have checked several boxes. These days I write a personal blog, post images of Chiang Rai on Google+ and generally live a very comfortable life here in Chiang Rai. Links can be found on my Profile Page.

Aye, but you've got to keep your hands occupied during the day doing something, or you'll hurt yourself while cleaning your weapon.

I suppose it depends on how fast you clean it, right enough...

SC

Yea i normally kill a few dogs and Thais just to stay into shape and instruct the Thai special forces in hand to hand combat and of course im a retired sniper and i serverd in vietnam ... and and and.. ehhh.

In view of the fact that, I suppose, many of us oldies haven't yet quite caught up with computers yet, I am a little surprised that there is such a strong accent on 'retired'.

I got my first computer in 1982, a Sinclair Spectrum ZX81, upgraded to a BBC in 1984, was issued with one when I worked with Vodafone in1987, moved to Motorola in 1988 and had one ever since, either the companies or my own and I am 68 so that would be about 30 years I guess.

On the other hand I am not sure if 68 is old.

In view of the fact that, I suppose, many of us oldies haven't yet quite caught up with computers yet, I am a little surprised that there is such a strong accent on 'retired'.

Everyone knows that here in Thaivisa there are more oldies then young people.

Everyone knows that here in Thaivisa there are more oldies then young people.

When I came here it was sideways glances from the bank girls on the songtaew which over the space of nearly 2 decades has slowly transformed into " Khun Lung Ka " sad.png

Edited by mca

I am retired and do nothing that I don't want to do. I must say that I do nothing VERY well. My wife encourages me to do nothing. I'm not permitted to take out the trash because I throw good stuff away and I'm also not permitted to use the Honda weed whacker because I cut down weeds that are supposedly good to eat. My wife calls those weeds herbs.

Lol. I can relate to that!rolleyes.gif

Senior researcher in particle physics in Thailand for 20 years. No, I don't do nuclear reactors and yes, what I do is the truth. biggrin.png

My 30-second research suggests there's not many that do (do nuclear reactors) since as far as I can tell, there's just the one running since 1962, and I think its due for decommissioning, though that might be predicated on the construction of a new and larger facility.

SC

Stock and commodity markets speculator.

Incredibly tedious but, besides paying for a comfortable lifestyle, it has the very useful benefit of not requiring a work permit in Thailand and the profits are non-taxable in Britain . . . for the time being unsure.png I'm sure the government will get round to it soon enough.