Rubber Nurseries In Southern Thailand

kwk917

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum.

I would like to request for assistance in locating rubber nurseries in southern Thailand. I am trying to source for up to 600K budded stumps for 2013.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers- KWK

• Like 1

If I am reading it right, you want 600,000 trees, why, or should I guess you want to export them to China.

If you are for real then better to make your own nursery, it's not hard and you can guarantee the trees are proper grafts and it would work out cheaper in the long run. Jim

I would like to have them exported to Cambodia actually.

You are right in that I should be looking at starting my own nursery but, as usual, the financiers want trees in the ground ASAP.

Point taken on the need to ensure clonal purity. The situation demands that I have to take some risks, at least until I establish my own budwood garden/Nursery.

KWK

Thanks Mosha!

When you mentioned Chumpon, did you mean Chumpon north of Surat Thani, or Chumpon close to Patthalung? My search on google maps showed two different locations.

I will be driving up from the Northern Malaysian state of Perlis.

KWK

I would like to have them exported to Cambodia actually.

You are right in that I should be looking at starting my own nursery but, as usual, the financiers want trees in the ground ASAP.

Point taken on the need to ensure clonal purity. The situation demands that I have to take some risks, at least until I establish my own budwood garden/Nursery.

KWK

OK Cambodia, why buy in Thailand, the cost of transporting that number of trees verses transporting the cuttings for grafting, then set up a nursery in Cambodia. You will not be planting this season anyway, too late.

What tree type are you going for, some of the newer better trees will cost a lot more, but may not be suitable for where you are planting.

You will have to pay a sizable deposit to nurseries to even consider growing the numbers you are talking about and as has happened before they over-commit and grow the trees from seed to get the numbers up, or buy a load of inferior trees from Lao.

A nursery is not a big project, it really is a lot of shade cloth hung on bamboo frames and some way to water the trees.

You are talking big money here and as I said it will be the next wet season before you can plant. Jim

Thanks Mosha!

When you mentioned Chumpon, did you mean Chumpon north of Surat Thani, or Chumpon close to Patthalung? My search on google maps showed two different locations.

I will be driving up from the Northern Malaysian state of Perlis.

KWK

Chumpon north of Surat. Once you hit Nakhon Sri Thammerat, you'll start to see them. However as Jim said. FWIW quite a few of the nusrseries I saw in Issan are run by immigrants from the south.

KWK There is alternate methods to do what you want. You can go the seed method, where by you plant or pot the seeds and graft the clone on the the new tree.

Seeds are at the moment [time of year seed drop ] 2 Baht a kilo. You buy seed plant in bags, when seeds grow to trees, you graft on the clone.

Not done this my self, yet, but reports are that the trees grow faster and have a better survival rate.

Much easier to drive a truck load of 1 mil seeds and a mil grafts then truck loads of meter high rubber saplings.

Just a thought, Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Mosha. Will take a drive on Hwy 41 sometime next week.

Jim - noted your ideas on planting from seed and grafting them in the bag/pot and you're right that there are substantial savings that can be made that way. As I mentioned earlier, time is the pressing matter here. The planting season in our region of Cambodia (the North-East) starts in May. To start a nursery now would mean that we'll only be ready for field planting earliest in November 2013 (2-whorl stage). That would not be acceptable to the bosses.

We are looking at buying and exporting bare-root budded stumps, and as the soil is removed prior to sale, this would lessen the cost of freight as you had mentioned earlier. What is usually done is that the thumb-thick bare-root stumps of approx. 24 inches in length are packed in boxes with wet saw dust. These stumps will be good for 3-7 days transport time, depending on how well the packaging work was done. These are then planted in polybags and kept for 3-4 months in a nursery before field planting.

Clones - we are looking for "ancient" clones - GT1 (Indonesian), RRIM600 (M'sian), PB217 (M'sian), PR 107 (Indonesian). We have to trade off yield for higher wind damage resistance. We will be planting at at elevation of 600+ meters with strong winds.

Cheers - KWK

If I am reading it right, you want 600,000 trees, why, or should I guess you want to export them to China.

If you are for real then better to make your own nursery, it's not hard and you can guarantee the trees are proper grafts and it would work out cheaper in the long run. Jim

Yes... and please don't sell to China unless it's in sheet form!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hi kwk maybe i can help u . i have export budwood to narathiwat -kolok . what clone u request , normaly at combodia they wan rrim3001 pb 350 .

for more information u can email me at <removed>

Edited by LivinginKata
email and URL removed as per forum rules