Scottishly Football

A hard afternoon for the lower leagues saw Juniors representative Bonnyrigg Rose join Inverurie and Nairn County on the wayside of the road to Cup glory.

Queen's Park fell to Stranraer, who showed the resolve and quality which sets the Second Division apart from amateurs like Queen's Park, or Rangers, in the division below them. This match showed that history and heritage is no match for the clinical and professional precision of the second division. Despite playing in the amphitheatre of Hampden, in front of a crowd of literally fans, Quuen's Park will have to reflect on another opportunity missed; and the Scottish Cup extends its absence from the Queen's Park cabinet to a 119th consecutive year.

In the League, Pie'erheid had a disappointing trip to Glasgow, losing 2-0 in front of more than 48,000, the biggest crowd in the Third Division this week. Berwick Rangers, meanwhile, returned South of the Border after a pointless trip to Borough Briggs in the cathedral city of Elgin. That win takes Elgin into second position in the league, two points behind Glasgow Rangers, though the Glasgow team has a game in hand.

SC

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arbroath go to Glesga to face Celtic....the wimmin will be happy....some guid shops thru thair.....eh?

Will your girlfriend be coming over for the game?

there's some cracking fixtures - in an all-3rd-division tie, Elgin go to Ibrox, hoping to add a second Rangers scalp to their belt after their win yesterday over Berwick Rangers, while Inverness Caley go to Dingwall in an all-premier-division highland derby.

In another derby, Hearts will go to Easter Road if there's enough money to pay the bus fares after the Revenners have taken their pound of flesh. Is there any truth to the suggestion that Hearts will be playing their home fixtures on the Meadows for the rest of the season?

SC

Arbroath go to Glesga to face Celtic....the wimmin will be happy....some guid shops thru thair.....eh?

Will your girlfriend be coming over for the game?

there's some cracking fixtures - in an all-3rd-division tie, Elgin go to Ibrox, hoping to add a second Rangers scalp to their belt after their win yesterday over Berwick Rangers, while Inverness Caley go to Dingwall in an all-premier-division highland derby.

In another derby, Hearts will go to Easter Road if there's enough money to pay the bus fares after the Revenners have taken their pound of flesh. Is there any truth to the suggestion that Hearts will be playing their home fixtures on the Meadows for the rest of the season?

SC

We have a perfectly good pitch here in Balgreen SC!

Its a bit further from Diggers but its hoped that will help the players fitness levels.

My lassie might attend a couple of Arbroath's summer friendlies....if we can get Easyjet to sponsor the flight to Bangkok....

Perhaps somebody on this forum could fill me in

(I can see me wishing I'd chosen my words differently, when I'm at the dentists's tomorrow)

See Rangers? I thought they went into administration, and a new company was formed (newco) to form a team to enter the Scottish Football League. So how come this newco is using the name and assets of Rangers, which I thought were now under the management of the Administrator, with the aim of realising the best value for the creditors. Has newco bought the name and leased the assets? Or what?

SC

(I can see me wishing I'd chosen my words differently, when I'm at the dentists's tomorrow)

See Rangers? I thought they went into administration, and a new company was formed (newco) to form a team to enter the Scottish Football League. So how come this newco is using the name and assets of Rangers, which I thought were now under the management of the Administrator, with the aim of realising the best value for the creditors. Has newco bought the name and leased the assets? Or what?

SC

The main asset being Ibrox I would have thought. Yes its a mystery to me also.....

SC

The main asset being Ibrox I would have thought. Yes its a mystery to me also.....

Apparently Newco bought the assets from the Receiver before the RFC plc was put into liquidation.

SC

SC

Apparently Newco bought the assets from the Receiver before the RFC plc was put into liquidation.

SC

Umm but isn't the receiver supposed to look out for the best interests of the creditors? It doesn't seem like this happened....collusion is the word which springs to mind....

SC

SC

Umm but isn't the receiver supposed to look out for the best interests of the creditors? It doesn't seem like this happened....collusion is the word which springs to mind....

They got five or six million; that's more than I'd pay for a stadium with no tenant. I agree, though; in the interests of transparency, I think it would have been better to hold a public auction. Or a raffle

SC

Prime land that SC....lots and lots of flats could have been built there....

If you could get planning permission.

You'd probably end up with a bunch of neds playing 3rd division in the derelict stadium and claiming squatters' rights

SC

Prime land that SC....lots and lots of flats could have been built there....

If you could get planning permission.

You'd probably end up with a bunch of neds playing 3rd division in the derelict stadium and claiming squatters' rights

SC

Overpaid neds .

I guess all our English co-posters will be wailing and gnashing their teeth and rending their garments in grief and dismay as their team was unceremoniously dumped out of the Cup mid-week, eventually falling to defeat in their third round replay at Shielfield Park. Berwick 2 - 5 Stenhousemuir.

Elsewhere, Greenock Morton, of Greenock, knocked out Albion Rovers of ...googlegoogle... Coatbridge 3-0 in their replay, and Raith Rovers despatched Airdrionians. They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight, as usual.

However, surely the surprise of the week was the shock defeat in the league of Queen's Park at home by East Stirling. This continues a run of good form for the central city against Glaswegian clubs - between East Stirling and their Stirling neighbours, they have claimed the scalps of Clyde, Rangers and now Queen's Park. Does this represent a tectonic shift in the fundamentals of Scottishly football? *

SC

* Let's see, when Glasgow Rangers go to Ochilview, on Saturday....

Edited by StreetCowboy

Meanwhile, in the nation's capital, the possibility of life without tarts deserves serious consideration. I know you guys in Bangkok are thinking "How could they contemplate that?" but unless the jambos can scrape enough together to buy the next round for the exciseman, the heart could be ripped out of midlothian.

The mere thought of life without tarts makes me think of a trip to Macau - where the grand prix gets under way today

SC

Raffle at the Laitch bar SC....dae ye want a ticket likes?

For HMFC?

What would I do with them if I won?

I suppose, bring them over to Malaysia in the hope of getting a bit of an edge in the Thursday evening works five-a-side...

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted from the BBC website page on the threatened Rangers cup tie boycott

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20608859

The statement continued: "We call on all Arabs to pack Tannadice and get behind the team in February."

You read it here first. Arab unity starts on Tayside.

Meanwhile, in the League, Rangers are beginning to open up a gap ahead of the chasing pack; but how will they fare when Stirling come to call at the weekend?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

From the "poster of the year" thread...

36 is the number of goals we beat Aberdeen by.

In fact I am 22. tongue.png

As commemorated by Robbie Coltrane as the Tartan Pimpernel, in the Younger's Tartan Special advert. Apparently the losers were primarily a cricket team, though nevertheless delighted to be invited to play on the perhaps-aptly-named SFA Cup

SC

From the "poster of the year" thread...

36 is the number of goals we beat Aberdeen by.

In fact I am 22. tongue.png

As commemorated by Robbie Coltrane as the Tartan Pimpernel, in the Younger's Tartan Special advert. Apparently the losers were primarily a cricket team, though nevertheless delighted to be invited to play on the perhaps-aptly-named SFA Cup

SC

Dinnae tell me yiz are gaunnae faw fir the "Wooly cricket club" nonsense.....its only warm enough to play the odd one dayer every decade or so....!

Is anyone following the current Tangerines v oranges spat at the

Moment?

Would that be the same "oranges" that saw a 49,916 crowd on Saturday?? LOL!!

I am a true blue but i must admit i am a bit bewildered by this <deleted> with Dundee Utd - i thought it was fitba nae politics???

Is anyone following the current Tangerines v oranges spat at the

Moment?

Would that be the same "oranges" that saw a 49,916 crowd on Saturday?? LOL!!

I am a true blue but i must admit i am a bit bewildered by this <deleted> with Dundee Utd - i thought it was fitba nae politics???

Blue oranges? That's a bit Picasso, is it not?

• 1 month later...

Almost forty-five thousand saw Berwick Rangers claw back two goals in the second half at Ibrox, before Glasgow's fourth sealed the game on the seventy-fourth minute. The BBC match report doesn't make it clear,but I think they were mostly home supporters

SC

• 3 weeks later...

Can you believe this is marked as a "hot" topic?

Forty-six thousand turned out to see Montrose draw with Glasgow Rangers at Ibrox Park last weekend, the biggest crowd of the Third Division - the only crowd of the third division, all other games having been postponed due to weather.

This weekend in the Cup, Rangers travel to Tannadice to take on Dundee United, one of the giants of Scottish football, having already claimed the scalps of Alloa and fellow third-divisioners Elgin.

Back in the League,

Queen's Park, second in the third division, with three games in hand, entertain Annan, while Berwick are away up to Pei'erheed... but will the league be reorganised before Queen's Park can be promoted?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And a remarkable four score draw in the third division today, while leaders Rangers stutter to a 3 - 0 defeat in the sands of Tannadice

!بطل! بطل

Calm down, Imam, it's a bit early for that, there's still two rounds to go before the Final

SC

• 1 month later...

Our English members will be delighted to see their team leading 3 - 0 at Stirling, while their namesakes from Glasgow hold on for a 1 - 0 victory in the city of Elgin.

Meanwhile, tomorrow Smokie will be thinking he's awoken after some strange acopalypse ... I'll try that again ... apocalypse, when he arouses from his slumber to find Gorgie deserted... It's quiet - too quiet... the maroons will be through at tht ehome of football, Hampden Park, for their League Cup Final against the buddies from Paisley. I don't know what channel True are showing the game on - St Mirren - Hearts 10 pm Thai time.

SC

Many of you will be disappointed by my lack of updates regarding the Gayfield Park side....1-1 today....when I get a chance I will post pictures of the stadium....full and empty....and of course the pies both before and after.

If I manage to batter a Montrose fan I will include a pic of that....failing of course a haddock and chips will have to suffice.

Onwards and upwards.....well we all will be when there are two leagues as suggested by myself in my 12 page submission to the SFA. wink.png

Many of you will be disappointed by my lack of updates regarding the Gayfield Park side....1-1 today....when I get a chance I will post pictures of the stadium....full and empty....and of course the pies both before and after.

If I manage to batter a Montrose fan I will include a pic of that....failing of course a haddock and chips will have to suffice.

Onwards and upwards.....well we all will be when there are two leagues as suggested by myself in my 12 page submission to the SFA. wink.png

Gayfield Park full? Have you got photoshop then?

Gayfield Park full? Have you got photoshop then?

Newco visit us next season.