Mail Delayed ? Is The Postman A Prat?

Gonzo the Face

Got a little suprise in the mail yesterday. ..... and I have to say one of the items enclosed really gave me goosebumps. The goosebump giving package contained ...... well here you take a look. ......

GrampameontheRiverinadifflife.jpg

NatGeo.jpg

OurKingHM65Yrsago.jpg

In light of HM the Kings photo being in there, I intend no disrespect, only the opposite as I do not ever remember seeing a photo of our king at such a young age. I thought others may also like to see it.

No, in this case the postman's not a prat but the article in the Nat Geo is from 1947, and I just received the mag.

There is an entire section devoted to that time in this issue and it gives almost an eerie feeling inside to look at Thailand/Siam as spoken of in the article.

The box I received has about half dozen Nat Geos from the mid to late 40's and are super interesting to go through. 1946 Studebaker and Fords, the clothes worn and old adverts. Really good stuff.

Anyone wanting to have a peep can do so at The Pun Pun

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

I don't know if I should blame the Postal Service or what, but I was pleased my weekly copy of 'The Guardian' arrived on Friday, for a weekend's reading.

Settled down and thought the news was a bit old, so checked the front page - July 3!!

Ah well, it's nice to read and know what's happened in the intervening 2 months.

The photos in the Nat. Geographic are quite interesting, thanks. Worth checking to see if this issue is on line in their archives.

Coincidentally, I'm sure that I recall seeing a photo in National-Geographic about road-building in Thailand in the late-60s/early-70s, the American (US-Aid ?) bulldozer-driver had a bottle of Coke while the Thai worker had a plastic-bag filled with crushed-ice & liquid.

I remember being intrigued by this (then exotic) picture, and wondering where the country might be, little knowing that I'd end up happily living here many years later !

And IME the Thais found the better way, to serve a soft-drink, too ! cool.png

Coincidentally, I'm sure that I recall seeing a photo in National-Geographic about road-building in Thailand in the late-60s/early-70s, the American (US-Aid ?) bulldozer-driver had a bottle of Coke while the Thai worker had a plastic-bag filled with crushed-ice & liquid.

I remember being intrigued by this (then exotic) picture, and wondering where the country might be, little knowing that I'd end up happily living here many years later !

This is all very well but, did that road ever get finished and have either of those workers died of a chronic disease yet caused by those sugar filled drinks ?

I think they stole it from Mexico.

Indeed a lot of the oldie ads look good received one the other day that said most Doctors preferred Camel cigarettes.

Gonzo were you able to tell which end of the 1946 Studebaker was photographed. LOL

Actually in the mid 50s they had some darn nice looking cars.

This is all very well but, did that road ever get finished and have either of those workers died of a chronic disease yet caused by those sugar filled drinks ?

"did that road ever get finished"

That's a definite 'Perhaps" !

<snip>

I think they stole it from Mexico.

But wouldn't the fizz have gone flat, by the time it got here ? rolleyes.gif

Coffee-time ! coffee1.gif

Indeed a lot of the oldie ads look good received one the other day that said most Doctors preferred Camel cigarettes.

Gonzo were you able to tell which end of the 1946 Studebaker was photographed. LOL

Reminds me of walking into my Doctors surgery when I was a British kid in the 50's and you needed a Machete to hack your way through the smoke filled waiting room. You then needed it again when you went in to see the Doctor as he chain smoked untipped Players Navy Cut, which were real cancer sticks. He would light one from the end of the last all day long, but he still made it into his 70's before falling off his perch. As for the old cars, well, I sadly miss all those individual shapes we had on the Planet and I love to see the occasional oldie around Chiang Mai. Shame we are now surrounded by ugly looking 4x4 monsters and aerodynamic bubbles with little or no style whatsoever.

Good Morning HD & Trainman

Hope you enjoy the following as it seems to link to your posts...... Trainman it seems the rail system tween here and BKK has always had troubles of one kind or another....

Sorry if this bores some others but this bit of nostalgia just wipes me out as it is such change within the lifetimes of many of us.

1947StudebakerNatGeo.jpg

1946FordNatGeo.jpg

1947Siam-ThailandNatGeo2.jpg

1947Siam-ThailandNatGeo1.jpg

Again my apologies to those who find this boring, but these old Nat Geos are true treasures.

wai.gifwai.gif

G

• Like 2

Wonderful stuff Gonzo, and thanks for sharing. Fancy a 57 hour flight these days? People now moan if they take 24 hours via here or there door to door.

Apart from repairing bomb craters and replacing Steam with Diesel in the 70's/80's, not much seems to have changed for the railway system. Despite all the hypo about High Speed systems, I don't see much change on the horizon in our lifetime.

I've always wanted to own a British or American classic car but never got around to it. With the amount of old cars running around Chiang Mai maybe the dream will still be realised one day, if I can find the oomph !