Water Pumps

Negita43

A word to the wise regarding Grundfos brand water pumps

I purchased the CH-50 model but have come to find that the Grundfos pumps will not work correctly if you are using a hot water tank system. If using an on demand hot water they are perfect, especially if you must move water a substantial height or a long distance

But when using a boiler the fact that the Grundfos will automatically start pumping water the minute it detects that water is being used defeats the temperature in the hot water tank since even though you are mixing hot and cold water at the tap (either sink or shower) adding cold water to the hot water tank will result in the hot water no longer being as hot since you are diluting it with cold water without time to re-heat this new cold water

Not believing the factory rep from Fagor, a clerk from Boonthavorn, or a water pump only store on Sukumvit in Naklua I tried it by by-passing the Grundfos and getting my water straight from the mooban water supply and the hot water temperature did not fluctuate and the problem was solved. Unfortunately since the mooban water supply cannot be trusted the long term solution to the problem is another pump but this time a continuous feed type

I am certainly not bad mouthing Grundfos, since all the above "experts" tell me that the Grundfos is a great pump, but unfortunately not for my purposes

Hopefully someone doing a new build will read this warning and realize that the best pump is not necessarily the best if it does not serve your purpose or fit your installation

A word to the wise regarding Grundfos brand water pumps

I purchased the CH-50 model but have come to find that the Grundfos pumps will not work correctly if you are using a hot water tank system. If using an on demand hot water they are perfect, especially if you must move water a substantial height or a long distance

But when using a boiler the fact that the Grundfos will automatically start pumping water the minute it detects that water is being used defeats the temperature in the hot water tank since even though you are mixing hot and cold water at the tap (either sink or shower) adding cold water to the hot water tank will result in the hot water no longer being as hot since you are diluting it with cold water without time to re-heat this new cold water

Not believing the factory rep from Fagor, a clerk from Boonthavorn, or a water pump only store on Sukumvit in Naklua I tried it by by-passing the Grundfos and getting my water straight from the mooban water supply and the hot water temperature did not fluctuate and the problem was solved. Unfortunately since the mooban water supply cannot be trusted the long term solution to the problem is another pump but this time a continuous feed type

I am certainly not bad mouthing Grundfos, since all the above "experts" tell me that the Grundfos is a great pump, but unfortunately not for my purposes

Hopefully someone doing a new build will read this warning and realize that the best pump is not necessarily the best if it does not serve your purpose or fit your installation

Seems I responded to this same comment elsewhere, anyway - a pressure tank system could cause some problems as described- so use a Grundfos constant pressure unit, starts on flow / drop of pressure and then maintains a constant pressure until it is shutdown - provided of course it is correctly sized for the application.

• 5 months later...

Have talked to a lot of local pump and well guys lately about my Hitachi pump problems. The don't want to go anywhere near them and back away. Lucky Star is the preferred pump if you are out in the sticks. Simple, rugged, and any Thai pump shop knows how to work on them.

• 6 years later...