Rain Finished?

stevehaigh

Here the local knowledge says that cobras come down from the hill to drink during the dry season.

I have not really seen any cobras lately. Not that I would be missing them smile.png

My local knowledge is their nest get flooded in the rainy season and they come out of the rocky holes in the ground so they don't drown. Usually babies first then bigger ones. But of course there are more than one species of cobra around. Mine are the Monocled Cobras: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocled_cobra

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought that the reasoning behind it would have been that the higher grounds dry faster. Mosquitoes come down from the hills to find open water, where to lay their larvae. Frogs follow the mosquitoes and snakes come after the frogs.

I have had encounters with the monocled cobras (which have been small and very difficult to see) as well as two times with king cobras. King cobras make the legs shiver for a good 15 minutes afterwards. Really scary experiences.

We have a few pythons as well. One time one very large one and few other times smaller ones. Sometimes I have been wondering if it would be moderately safe try to catch one of the smaller pythons (and then obviously release it back to the jungle)?

Here is some photos of the animals around here. Few of these are from other parts of Phuket, but mostly next to my home. https://picasaweb.google.com/112378562316323165329/TheJungle02

Just today I phoned for a tanker of water in Patong. Owner of the truck apologised and told me he cannot find anywhere to fill his truck with water. He's a nice guy, bought the tanker a couple of months ago on a bank loan and has to make the repayments. Now he cannot delivery water and make money. Now I cannot service my guests water requirements. I have a government water line (that I paid to install) but no water for about 4 months now.

LIK, you might go to Kalim, the turn up the hill toward Lims Restaurant, just past the couple of hotels on the right I see water tankers filling.

Just today I phoned for a tanker of water in Patong. Owner of the truck apologised and told me he cannot find anywhere to fill his truck with water. He's a nice guy, bought the tanker a couple of months ago on a bank loan and has to make the repayments. Now he cannot delivery water and make money. Now I cannot service my guests water requirements. I have a government water line (that I paid to install) but no water for about 4 months now.

LIK, you might go to Kalim, the turn up the hill toward Lims Restaurant, just past the couple of hotels on the right I see water tankers filling.

It's a Kalim water truck I use. So I guess that's where he fills up. He promised to deliver a tank of water when he filled up, and he delivered in the wee small hours. The problem seems to be the time it takes to fill a truck, he tells me only a trickle can be pumped out and it takes over 2 hours to fill a truck, so he has to wait his turn.

It's a Kalim water truck I use. So I guess that's where he fills up. He promised to deliver a tank of water when he filled up, and he delivered in the wee small hours. The problem seems to be the time it takes to fill a truck, he tells me only a trickle can be pumped out and it takes over 2 hours to fill a truck, so he has to wait his turn.

Hmmmmmm..........the flow I saw going into a truck last week was definitely 1000% over a trickle. From what I witnessed, it would take maybe 20 minutes to fill the truck. But maybe thats changed, don't know, might be worth a look. BR, GOM

i just got back from a week in Ko Phangan, its pretty dry over there too. My garden was looking a bit scorched but nothing dead, fortunately and still plenty of water in my well. but i don't know how long that will last. at least there are a few clouds now, maybe we will see a bit of rain this week, i'm hopeful.