Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

Does not hurt to try. I put a picture of the card on my phone and showed them. The reception lady understood and took me to the boss, who wanted to see the picture again, also understood. Took 20 mins to process and 20 mins to get the machine printing the card. According to the number on it I got the 9th pink ID they issued. They almost disassembled it before they got it working :)

That seems to be an interesting development. So it seems that any foreigner with a yellow tabien bahn can go and make this card?

One more thing, you need to go to the amphoe/district office that issued the yellow housebook. Then the rest is pure luck and weather conditions plus the last night of the officer in charge. Like everything here :)
  • Haha 1

The one that issued the yellow tabien baan, depends case by case.

And what district office was that (name of khet)? As things often differ from one office to the next, it is useful for the readers to know which office, geographically speaking, is being talked about.

Small heads up. I got one today with yellow tabien baan (no PR). ID number starting with 6. In Bangkok. Took only 40 mins. They have a category in the computer for 3,4,5,6,7,8 starting numbers. I saw that on the screen. So each of these starting numbers appears to be eligible for the pink ID card. On the card itself it says "general alien", so I'm considering to apply for the new X-Files season, only half was done smile.png

I understand that all text on the pink card is in Thai language. Are you talking about the text above ID number, ie this text:

post-21260-0-19123600-1456776132_thumb.p

Small heads up. I got one today with yellow tabien baan (no PR). ID number starting with 6. In Bangkok. Took only 40 mins. They have a category in the computer for 3,4,5,6,7,8 starting numbers. I saw that on the screen. So each of these starting numbers appears to be eligible for the pink ID card. On the card itself it says "general alien", so I'm considering to apply for the new X-Files season, only half was done smile.png

Thank you for posting this. Yours is the second report from a foreigner without Permanent Residence, ie without an immigrant visa, getting the pink ID card with the ID number starting with 6.

This confirms my lingering suspicion that the issuance of the pink ID card, issued by the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA), has no administrative or other link to the Permanent Residence (immigrant status) granted by the Immigration Department. The two have been instituted independently from each other for different reasons and serve different purposes.

The various ID card categories, represented by the first digit of the ID number, are the following:

post-21260-0-03637300-1456777118_thumb.j

Image source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/?p=6169680#entry6169680

• Like 1

The district office was Phra Khanong. But again, this is the one I got the yellow tabien baan from a couple of years ago. I don't think you can walk into any, but who knows. I believe Thai's can replace their expired or lost ID cards anywhere. The Phra Khanong office has the printing/laminating machine, so they can do it on the spot (if they get the machine working). There is a serial number under the pic, that says I have the 9th card ever issued there.

Yes, text as in the picture. I can't read it but wife says it means something like "general alien".

I saw the input mask on the screen when the lady entered my details. In the beginning there was a menu that had the numbers from 3-8, that's why I believe all of these first digits are eligible for the pink ID card. Other than that she struggled with the religion until she bubbled "catholic" which I luckily could divert to a "0" in the last moment saying "mai mee", and you need the blood type. Then they take fingerprints of both thumbs and make that famous prison pic with the height in the background. Paper printed, signed and carried to the boss, who tried to motivate the machine to print and laminate the card. Took 20 mins for the administration and 20 mins to make the card.

Now next thing is to test what happens in any "tourist price attraction" when presenting the card :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now next thing is to test what happens in any "tourist price attraction" when presenting the card smile.png

That should be interesting. Even with an Alien's Book I usually get told, "Discount for Thai citizens only!"

• Haha 1

Quick question. I have a Pink ID card and a Thai Drivers License (car). I'm interested to get a motorcycle drivers license. Do I still need to get a letter from my Embassy, bring my passport, or bring anything else that a Thai would not normally bring?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quick question. I have a Pink ID card and a Thai Drivers License (car). I'm interested to get a motorcycle drivers license. Do I still need to get a letter from my Embassy, bring my passport, or bring anything else that a Thai would not normally bring?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No, you don't need to bring passport etc, just the pink ID card and tabien bahn. However, depending on where you go, they might ask you for those docs - just ask them to call to your Khet or amphur to verify that passport etc are not necessary any more.

Let us know to which Transport Department office you go, and whether there is any problem.

• Like 1

Now next thing is to test what happens in any "tourist price attraction" when presenting the card smile.png

That should be interesting. Even with an Alien's Book I usually get told, "Discount for Thai citizens only!"

Usually, it doesn't say "Thai citizens". It doesn't say "Khon Thai", it says "Chao Thai", and those are people living in Thailand (as opposed to tourists). People who live in Thailand presumably pay income taxes here, so they should not pay the foreigners' prices. However, many National Park officials see that differently and the instrucitons are not very clear - it needs to be addressed by the Ministry.

• Like 1

I was referring to what I am told verbally when I show them my red Alien's Book and tell them (in good Thai) that I have been in Thailand for decades. From reports from other members, it seems you have a better chance of a discount if you are with your Thai family rather than visiting solo.

• Like 1

Usually, it doesn't say "Thai citizens". It doesn't say "Khon Thai", it says "Chao Thai", and those are people living in Thailand (as opposed to tourists). People who live in Thailand presumably pay income taxes here, so they should not pay the foreigners' prices. However, many National Park officials see that differently and the instrucitons are not very clear - it needs to be addressed by the Ministry.

I understand that the text for the entrance fee for Thais into a national park is written only in Thai language. Are you sure that Chao Thai (เจ้าไทย) means "people living in Thailand (as opposed to tourists)", regardless of nationality?

From an article in the Phuket News in December 2014:

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.
However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price.
This would indicate that even a pink Thai ID card does not give a foreigner the official right to the Thai entrance fee at a national park, but what an individual park or an individual park officer does is up to them.
  • Confused 1

I understand that the text for the entrance fee for Thais into a national park is written only in Thai language. Are you sure that Chao Thai (เจ้าไทย) means "people living in Thailand (as opposed to tourists)", regardless of nationality?

I have seen ชาวไทย, not เจ้าไทย.

From an article in the Phuket News in December 2014:

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.
However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price.
This would indicate that even a pink Thai ID card does not give a foreigner the official right to the Thai entrance fee at a national park, but what an individual park or an individual park officer does is up to them.

You may call it flexibility, or opportunity for corruption.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was called into Ban Chang district office because they were ready to issue cards. Warned me to come early as they are only allowed to issue 5 a day. I was wondering how this would be a problem as I don't think there are even 5 people with residency in Ban Chang. When I arrived I found several other foreigners there with the same purpose. They were however holders of a yellow house registration book only. Turns out that they are also eligible for a card. Quite a disappointment as I was hoping to get a card showing my hard earned residency status and was hoping it could help to be at least semi-accepted by having something that shows my "special" status.

In the end the card did not get issued anyway as there was another malfunction of the system. We will be called back in when they are ready to have another try.

Even though I don't expect the card to be of very much value I will get it anyway. I am still hoping for a surprise where I receive a card that clearly states the "permanent residence" status and does not have funny remarks relating to the Cambodians on it.

• Like 2

Amphur Klaeng just issued the 1st Pinky to me (wish someone else had been the trail-blazer as it took 4 trips over a couple of years....).

Invaluable help from this thread - thanks!

Does it say Permanent Residence on the card (มีถิ่นที่อยู่ถาวร)

• Like 1

Was called into Ban Chang district office because they were ready to issue cards. Warned me to come early as they are only allowed to issue 5 a day. I was wondering how this would be a problem as I don't think there are even 5 people with residency in Ban Chang. When I arrived I found several other foreigners there with the same purpose. They were however holders of a yellow house registration book only. Turns out that they are also eligible for a card. Quite a disappointment as I was hoping to get a card showing my hard earned residency status and was hoping it could help to be at least semi-accepted by having something that shows my "special" status.

In the end the card did not get issued anyway as there was another malfunction of the system. We will be called back in when they are ready to have another try.

Even though I don't expect the card to be of very much value I will get it anyway. I am still hoping for a surprise where I receive a card that clearly states the "permanent residence" status and does not have funny remarks relating to the Cambodians on it.

I wonder what the card for the yellow-book holders say instead of "PR holder". Do you know any of them and could obtain a copy to post here (minus the personal details)?

I wonder what the card for the yellow-book holders say instead of "PR holder". Do you know any of them and could obtain a copy to post here (minus the personal details)?

No actual cards were issued yet as the system broke down again before anything could be issued. After what I read in this thread I am now wondering if there will be any mention of PR status or any other status. Likely will be exactly the same cards. Your ID number would indicate your "status" but I don't expect the general public to know the difference from that.

• Like 1

I got it at the beginning of the month, and I am a yellow book holder, here is my id

post-81251-0-31935700-1458752054_thumb.j

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got it at the beginning of the month, and I am a yellow book holder, here is my id

Thanks!

First line says: "ID card for person that does not have Thai nationality". Same as my card.

Second line: (Number blacked out)

Third line: "General foreigner". Mine says: ""PR holder". So that is the difference.

Noticing that, I wonder what the card for Cambodian/Laotian citizens say.

• Like 2

Thanks!

First line says: "ID card for person that does not have Thai nationality". Same as my card.

Third line: "General foreigner". Mine says: ""PR holder". So that is the difference.

Funny - but there is no third line on my ID Card (it's blank). Went back to Amphur Klaeng - they checked with HQ but are clueless as to why 'Permanent Resident' doesn't print on the Card but is recorded in the "IT System". Again, rue the fact that I'm No. 1 in Klaeng. The ID Card is for my lifetime (since I'm over 60), so am thinking of having it replaced in a year or two once the Government folks get more used to the process.

• Haha 1

Thanks!

Funny - but there is no third line on my ID Card (it's blank). Went back to Amphur Klaeng - they checked with HQ but are clueless as to why 'Permanent Resident' doesn't print on the Card but is recorded in the "IT System". Again, rue the fact that I'm No. 1 in Klaeng. The ID Card is for my lifetime (since I'm over 60), so am thinking of having it replaced in a year or two once the Government folks get more used to the process.

Wow. I thought all the cards are printed in Bangkok at the Ministry of the Interior.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Wow. I thought all the cards are printed in Bangkok at the Ministry of the Interior.

Mine was printed at the Amphur while I waited - same process as the Thai Thai IDs

• Like 1

Thanks!

May I ask when you got your card issued? And where?

I just got mine in Ban Chang and it also does not have third line which is quite disappointing. The most important thing this card would be to me is proof that I am a permanent resident. Without the third line this is not very obvious though (except for the ID number starting with a 8).

I was the firs PR holder to get he card in Ban Chang. I made a lot of noise about the missing third line and I showed them an example of a card that has the "PR holder" comment on it. My friend with a yellow book got an ID card the same day showing the "general foreigner" comment. So to me that shows that the system supports the possibility to print a third line.

I figure that by now they are getting a bit bored of me and they have told me that the system has changed since the beginning of the year and the card I showed them was from last year and that that is the reason the third line does not print for PR holders.

If your card has the third line and was issued in 2016, it would be very helpful for me to to be able to show it to them. If you could post a picture with all your personal data scratched out it would be great.

• Like 1