Hua Hin Nightlife & More

AdamVanWildest

Try out Hi4 about 5km out of the city towards Bangkok. Main Thai's, but a great atmosphere and cheap bottles og whiskey and mixers. The place kicks after 11.

When the party ends at 3 move on to The Rich, which is located another 3km out the road. You can take your bottle of whiskey with you and just buy mixers inside the Rich (they work together in some sort of way...)

That place is kicking until six.

But a warning: Don't be too wild or aggressive when you're one of the only foreigners around. Thai's don't like that.

By the way: the style of music in Hi4 is a swap of 30 minuts of live band and 30 minuts of DJ. The Rich is pure DJ and green lazer.

Hope you'll be having a great time.

• Like 1

Just moved to Hua Hin from BKK about a week ago. I've been to all the bars near the Hilton as well as Soi 80 and La Luna.

Gets old kinda fast. Are there any other streets of bars, night clubs, soapies, or gogo's in town?

This is not really that kind of town. It is still a mostly (Thai) family oriented destination and is much quieter than places like Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, or Samui. The nearest go-go is in Cha-Am and it's not really worth the drive and there aren't any of those big fishbowl soapies like in Bangkok, however, I've heard rumors of a massage shop off Phetkasem road (in the soi 60's range) that will do that kind of massage. It's mostly just the beer bars on the three sois downtown, soi 80 and the Thai places mentioned in the post above out on the highway.

As hhfarang says, the town is not (yet) 'that kind of town'. There are a variety of reasons for that but most notably there is a local law preventing gogo bars operating, and there is a general prevailing attitude amongst lawmakers and enforcers to keep the 'King's Town' clean. I can envisage this gradually changing as the town becomes a fully fledged city (and by all accounts, eventually a provincial capital) but for most of the resident expats they like it as it is. I also think there are a number of reasons why the type of places thelongshoot says would make a difference don't exist, and from my limited knowledge of these things they are the following:

1) The local police (both regular and tourist) have a strong hand on what is and isn't allowed, and anyone wishing to open the kinds of places mentioned would need a LOT of money to oil the wheels;

2) The local landlords/landladies are nothing if not opportunists; most of them will only offer very short leases (3 years is a good average) with excessive rent and key money demanded (typical rent for one of the two storey shophouse type bars in Binthabaht is 40 - 50k baht a month). Any money invested in the place by the new leaseholder plus the key and rent money and other running costs will need to see a return within that short lease period because the landlord/lady generally will double the already high rent at the end of the lease, knowing that the incumbent either won't pay it or can't, and thus inherits a fully fitted out business, unless the fixtures and fittings are then removed by the incumbent. Given the 'cosy' relationship many of these property owners have with the police, this will often lead to accusations made to the police and criminal charges being brought. Hence the incentive for any foreigners to invest heavily to create such a venue is severely reduced.

3) While Hua Hin is a fast-growing tourist destination, it still doesn't attract enough of the type of tourist needed to even support the existing numbers of foreign oriented bars (and to a certain extent it is a self fulfilling prophecy, because there are not enough 'good' bars).Most of the tourists are Thai and there is a fairly good choice of Thai places, while the foreign tourists tend to be older and either couples or families (and incidentally that is why there are so many good restaurants as there is plenty of demand for them). Unless this demographic changes, either due to specific promotions or changes in what the town offers, there isn't a significant enough demand to provide what was listed above, however much i would like to see it. A few people have tried to set up similar places but have fallen foul of one or all of these things. Another major issue is the frequent and short notice orders from above for places to close at midnight, while certain places are left untouched (I will leave you to guess which ones).

I personally believe that Hua Hin is one of the most difficult places in Thailand to run any business, but particularly bars, because of the above and a myriad of other factors, not least the limited supply of good staff and the high cost of premises. Throw in an occasionally over zealous tourist police heavily 'fining' foreigners for apparent breaches of work permits, or music licences, or having counterfeit CDs on the premises, or for having a pool table (gambling) or just looking at them funny and you may start to realise why the town does not have what you desire.

I find myself agreeing with thelongshoot.

I can't really be ars3d to go out and get p7ssed any more, a far cry from the old life in BKK!

If I do go out, I'll drop into Capone's in the Bintabaht area once in a while- good setup, a few characters, draft Leo and the girls are relaxed and friendly, no hassle. Johnny Walker's bar can be a giggle, good crowd, decent pool table, darts, good music if the right persons in charge and again, relaxed, friendly, no hassle. White House on soi 80 I'll stop by once in a blue moon and have a quick beer while watching the comings and goings on the soi, but that's really nothing to get excited about.

As for that guy outside 7/11, soi 88 - I have been wondering what his story is! I think you'll find his tipple is Siam Sato, or maybe that's just in the AM when I happen to be passing.

There is some good news, the guy that owned Bully's in Sukhumvit is opening a large bar opposite the Hilton. It doesn't seem to be near completion yet (last time I poked my head in anyway), but the guy knows what he is doing and it should be a decent joint, I would expect good food, quality pool tables, and screens. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Excellent post longshoot. Why do men go anywhere but the beach in a Chang vest?

I have no idea. The ones that realy get me are the realy classy guys that don a chang vest, together with a whole dazeling aray of Budah pendants around there neck (and maybe the token bandana on head).... And then stroll into a beer bar, give a full on head bowed Wai to a 19 year old yabba head bar girl before bouncing her on his nee and blasting his hand straight down her nickers. Go on you classy, charismatic charmer.... see how many fingers you can get up.

So what's wrong with that then? laugh.png

everyone else seems to be in xxxxxl shorts with 45 zip pockets and a sleevless Chang shirt

My closet is full of those cargo shorts with all the pockets (xxxl if Thai brand, only xl if from the U.S. smile.png ). That's all I ever wear, but I do wear full t-shirts instead of the sleeveless ones. When I dress up for an evening out with the missus I may occasionally even wear a button shirt with a collar! biggrin.png

Honestly, for me it's just too damned hot here to wear long pants or anything besides a T-shirt.

everyone else seems to be in xxxxxl shorts with 45 zip pockets and a sleevless Chang shirt

My closet is full of those cargo shorts with all the pockets (xxxl if Thai brand, only xl if from the U.S. smile.png ). That's all I ever wear, but I do wear full t-shirts instead of the sleeveless ones. When I dress up for an evening out with the missus I may occasionally even wear a button shirt with a collar! biggrin.png

Honestly, for me it's just too damned hot here to wear long pants or anything besides a T-shirt.

Lol, sorry man.... Nothing personal. Those shorts though..... I seen a guy in Bangkok Bank with a pair on and i sware they were that frigging big the bottom of his shorts touched his ankles. You will think I am saying this for affect - im not I promise you - but I watched open up at least 7 or 8 zips looking for his bank book lol.

Im nearly always in shorts but if Im out on the town, which as i said i never really bother with anymore, its always jeans and a nice shirt.

I once seen a bloke in Hua Hin immigration in a pair of speedos and a red bull vest. I mean jesus christ man.... where is the effort and respect! Im suprised they didnt turf him out - I would have done.

• Like 1

Ah well good answers i was considering a move down to Hua Hin from East Pattaya for family reasons, but will travel on a monthly basis i think. i did stay a week once and as my friend commented it must be where Thai prostitutes go to die. do like my cargo shorts and dont give a toss what anybody thinks, actually in a beach resort the guys dressed up to the 9s is the one who looks the knob, even though he probably is not.

Ah well good answers i was considering a move down to Hua Hin from East Pattaya for family reasons, but will travel on a monthly basis i think. i did stay a week once and as my friend commented it must be where Thai prostitutes go to die. do like my cargo shorts and dont give a toss what anybody thinks, actually in a beach resort the guys dressed up to the 9s is the one who looks the knob, even though he probably is not.

Relax pal...i was emphasising those cargo shorts with like 25 zips on each side and anyway i was more talking about chang vests. Im sorry anyone who goes out dressed like that of a weekend eveneing is a pikey.

Dressing up to the nines - i was just talking about a pair of jeans and a nice shirt. Thats all. No top hat and tails in my wardrobe son.

I will tell you who gives a toss Martson - the girls in the bar. Do they want to go home with someone who looks and smells clean and presentable or someone whose sweat wets their neck when you put your arm arouns them and drops in to their Sangsom & coke ?

Their was a quote on Stickman recently from a guy who going to visit Patts that went somethink like - Tonight I will be like a VIP in the bar - I will be the only person wearing a shirt with 2 sleeves and a collar !! Classic.

The girls just love guys who come to Thailand with one t-shirt. They especially like the bits of dried egg and spaghetti sauce spatters down the front. Falang BO is their favourite fragrance, too. Some guys need to buy one more t-shirt and drink less. Look in the mirror and ask, "Would I want to eff that?"

Edited by johnnyk

Look in the mirror and ask, "Would I want to eff that?"

If you're talking about a normal "western" style relationship, I agree with you, but if you're paying the girl for the privilege, should she really have a say? coffee1.gif

I had to do things in my career that weren't pleasant. If you choose "<deleted>" as a career, you may have to put up with what you get or go broke. whistling.gif

Look in the mirror and ask, "Would I want to eff that?"

If you're talking about a normal "western" style relationship, I agree with you, but if you're paying the girl for the privilege, should she really have a say? coffee1.gif

I had to do things in my career that weren't pleasant. If you choose "<deleted>" as a career, you may have to put up with what you get or go broke. whistling.gif

They do have a say HHF. Ask them about it some time. But they seldom outright say "no". They are more subtle, like asking 2000 baht for a ST or 4-5000 for LT. Or they simply avoid eye contact. Only the lonely, and the clueless, will not get the message.

• 2 weeks later...
It truly is crap for bars in Hua Hin mate. I have totaly gave up with the nightlife around here. I get so frustrated and pissed of with HH nightlife that I usualy get steaming drunk (because there is nothing else to do) make an absolute idiot of myself and spend the next week with my head held in shame. I am not like that anywhere else in Thailand - I only ever seem to do it here because I get so dam_n bored.

I like Hua Hin. I think there are better places in Thailand to live (thats subjective and my opinion only of course) but it suits me as its close to Bangkok, has a half decent shopping center, good medical facilities, and lots a of great restaraunts.

As for the bars though... I truly have given in having a night out.

The bars around Bintabaht are ok if you havent been in Thailand for too long. Personaly I used to love all of that when i first got here years ago but I cant be fannied with it now. Well, not in Hua Hin anyway. Bintabaht bars play <deleted> music surrounded by little isarn munchkins who do nothing but simply stare at you half the time and sometimes the entire area is just empty.

Soi 80 is pure hell. Total and utter naff bars that make no effort at interior decor: most of them have a multitude of odd bar stools with differing heights, and a couple of tiny plastic sofas, usualy lime green or electric blue, that were brought from the market 20 years ago. Most of the bars are empty and most of the girls are old enough to by my Mother (and im pushing 40).

There are a couple of bars on Soi 80 that are always busy, owing to the fact that they punt Chang and Leo at silly cheap prices to draw in the guys on a tight budget. Nothing wrong with that.... if you are on a limited budget you need to take care of the pennies. That said, they are still crap.

Aside from that, you have a vast aray of ex-pat bars all over Hua Hin. Mainly around Soi 102, 88, 94 and Takiab beach road. They are a tad on the clicky side and its not uncommon to walk into one of these places and see a group of 90 year olds sitting around a table wearing the older ex pat uniform of beige shorts and checked shirts, doing nothing but talk about golf and how thick the Thais are. These bars are usualy shop houses, converted into a bar. Often these bars can also be a little clicky. There are one or two bars in Kao Takiab that seem to consist entirley of the patrons of "The Sheeps Head" out of American Warewolf In London. The Lord Web in Takiab is decent. The owners Robert and Tui are nice people and there is always a few different types of folk in there to have a laugh with and play pool. Having said that, its not a Las Vegas style night out but your not gonna get that anywhere in HH anyway.

Friday and Saturday night always used to be about making an effort for me. A nice pair of jeans, a cracking shirt, a cool pair of shoes, a ton of smelly and hit the town with a spring in your step. Whenever I do that here, you feel like you have dressed up for a doll cue: everyone else seems to be in xxxxxl shorts with 45 zip pockets and a sleevless Chang shirt. Thats not me being snobby - honest - its just, you know. what happened to making an effort at the weekend? It dosent seem to happen around here.

Hua Hin needs just a few decent bars to make the difference. A sports bar with a couple of good Brunswick pool tables and half a dozen flat screens, good quality furniture, draught beer, a decent playlist on the music system. bangkok has them in abundance. Given the amount of ferangs in Hua Hin im amazed no where like that exists.

I agree with the other poster about Hi4 etc. It does feel like you are having a night out when you go there. All the Thais make an effort and put decent clothes on, they all seem to bounce about and have a good time, the music is great and the premises are large and have made an effort. I agree with this poster though: dont get to loud and cocky in these places and be extremely carefull which girls you try and chat up, if any. These places are friendly and welcome ferangs but if you try it on with a respectable bird who works in a bank and her boyfriend is in there, you are seriously fcuked.

There is a 7/11 on soi 88. Outside, for at least 5 or 6 hours of the day, sits an older ferang bloke sitting on a wooden bench drinking luke walm Leo out of a 7/11 bag. He is not exactly a picture of health with his beetroot red face and alex ferguson nose and is probably a few spanners short of a tool box but saying that, I may go and join him this Friday night. The conversation will be a little dry as I have a feeling he is unable to string a sentance together but saying that, I reckon it will make a more interesting, fun filled classy night out that anywhere else in hua hin.

Great summary of the nightlife in Hua Hin , spot on

I was talking with a young lady the other day. I had on a pair of nice pleated dress shorts and a newish golf shirt. She felt the material of the shorts and shirt, looked at me and said "you handsum man."

Thats great pal. Im sure right after you both discussed the merits of pleats you celebrated with a game of connect 4, before doing the konga down Soi Bintabaht, ringing every bell on the way to the Hitlon Disco, where you spent the night dancing like a drunken dad at a wedding.

• Like 1

I was talking with a young lady the other day. I had on a pair of nice pleated dress shorts and a newish golf shirt. She felt the material of the shorts and shirt, looked at me and said "you handsum man."

Thats great pal. Im sure right after you both discussed the merits of pleats you celebrated with a game of connect 4, before doing the konga down Soi Bintabaht, ringing every bell on the way to the Hitlon Disco, where you spent the night dancing like a drunken dad at a wedding.

Finishing off with the 3000 baht ST.wub.png

And a Burger King on the challenge home.

I have visited only as a tourist but enjoyed a few restaurant/bars there on the beach other side of the small jetty,The Living Room and Dukes?? i think Terrace 90 was a good evening also good food and good atmo......the Murphys place was good too with a good rock band but it is different if you live there and thinking some place different.

Will try Cha-Am next time!

Edited by MrRed

3000 Baht - Are the Japanese here? (3 minutes, 3 inches, 3000 baht)