Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

Funny and timely animated cartoon about Romney's stance on bringing FEMA functions to the states and also to privatize its functions:

Romney's All Wet

http://www.washingto...pinions/telnaes

More (serious) Romney humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0aydhFHNE&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years in the UK, the term 'doing a Mugabe' was used to indicate that someone had used underhand means to get what they wanted, gain power etc. While you can still hear it, these days you hear 'doing an Ahmadinejad' more often though mostly from people in their 20s and 30s. If Romney wins then do doubt I will hear 'doing a Romney' from the next generation.

If you had been keeping up with the news you might notice some very Mugabe-like trickery coming from the Democrats. This list is just from the past week or two...

* Voting machines in North Carolina switch vote for Romney to vote for Obama.

http://www.thenewame...g-machine-in-nc

* Democrat congressman's campaign manager (and son) caught on video telling an undercover reporter how to illegally vote for a list of registered voters who don't intend to vote themselves.

http://atlasshrugs20...oter-fraud.html

* The Obama campaign breaking federal law by accepting campaign contributions from foreign sources. The Romney campaign website has precautions built-in to avoid this. Obama's website has none. One reporter even recently made donations as "Osama bin Laden, dead terrorist, living in Abbottobad". Not only was his money accepted, he received several emails from the campaign asking for even more money.

http://www.humaneven...obama-campaign/

* Van loads of Somali immigrants being taken to early voting centers in Ohio, being instructed who to vote for (illegal)

http://www.humaneven...mitted-in-ohio/

* Fraudulent letters being sent to Florida Republicans telling them they have been flagged as suspected non-citizen voters.

http://www.tampabay....-voters/1258012

If you had been keeping up you would know that I acknowledge that both do it, though Romney does it on an industrial scale and this is what 'doing a Mugabe' means. It's not doing it in the dark in an alley but doing it brazenly in front of 100 witnesses. This works (so it seems) in the US but the rest of the world (mostly) sees it for what it is.... It is an insult to peoples intellect and an insult to peoples humanity.

Unsubstantiated rumors of "industrial scale" fraud is not nearly as bad as multiple documented cases of fraud across several states.

Facebook is obviously an Obama supporter...

Over the weekend, Facebook took down a message by the Special Operations Speaks PAC (SOS) which highlighted the fact that Obama denied backup to the forces being overrun in Benghazi.

We created and posted this meme on Saturday after news broke that Obama had known and denied SEALS the backup they requested.

Once the meme was up it garnered 30,000 shares, approx. 24,000 likes, and was read by hundreds of thousands of people -- all within 24 hrs. On Sunday, I went into the SOS Facebook page to post something else and found a warning from Facebook that we had violated Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities with our meme.

SOS-FBMeme.jpg

• Like 2

I will admit that he has done the same job concerning a natural disaster that any president would have done. Does that count?

Not my argument but if you had said 'I concede that he .....' I would not have posted this. If I am wrong then I will say I am wrong rather that just saying the other person is right. This epitomizes Republican's and their voters.

Wrong about what? Talk about grasping for straws. I did not criticize Obama about handling the natural disaster. I have criticized him for the terrible economy and his apology tour and many other issues, but he has been competent so far on the hurricane.

FEMA, White House. send storm victims to Internet

When President Barack Obama urged Americans under siege from Hurricane Sandy to stay inside and keep watch on ready.gov for the latest, he left out something pretty important — where to turn if the electricity goes out.

A call to FEMA’s news desk, however, found even they didn’t have any non-Internet information readily available beyond suggestions that people call 911 in an emergency. When asked where folks should turn for information if they have no power, a FEMA worker said, “Well, those people who have a laptop with a little battery life on it can try that way. Otherwise, you’re right.”

Read more:

Sure looks like yet another Republican political darling is looking to get himself kicked out of the Republican party. It's easy to understand if he is facing re-election difficulties against a democrat, but I think the proper party loyalty thing to do is take a bullet for Romney. Isn't it more important to have a sitting Republican President than a N.J. Governor?

Obama's revised schedule is a political gamble, too. Rather than use the campaign's final Wednesday to woo voters in tossup states, he (Obama) will go before cameras with New Jersey's Republican governor, Chris Christie. Christie is one of Romney's most prominent supporters, and a frequent Obama critic. But Christie praised Obama's handling of superstorm Sandy, a political twist the president's visit is sure to underscore.

http://news.yahoo.co...--election.html

*emphasis added

Edited by keemapoot

Not exactly. Anything that takes attention away from Romney's pathetic response to Sandy is a plus for him. Romney lied about canceling campaign events. Instead he covered one up. An event called Romney Victory something was rebranded as a relief event. Then he played Romney propaganda and made the stupid, unhelpful request that people donate CANNED good. The Red Cross EXPLICITLY says NO CANNED GOODS now, they actually cause them a problem. They want and need CASH. But sending people home to write checks or donate online doesn't make for the Ryan fake soup kitchen cleaning photo op that showing the big man plutocrat Romney "loading" "relief" supplies on a truck does. Supplies not asked for. Supplies asked NOT to send. During this fiasco reporters asked Romney about his statements at the republican debate about gutting FEMA and privatizing FEMA. Romney totally ignored all of their questions, turned his back to them as if he was hard of hearing (NO RESPONSE, nada), and continued with his phony play acting that his little manual labor of loading these canned goods was more important. Sorry. This man does not have the right stuff to be president. Not by a long shot.

Of course Romney can't answer questions about FEMA now. If he doubles down or even just confirms on his debate statement, he commits political suicide. If he tries to Romnesia it now in the middle of a national disaster, the voters will see right through him. But that is what the VOTERS deserve right now, directly from the mouth of the Massachusetts plutocrat. Direct, clear, honest answers about the proper role of the FEDERAL government in national disasters. We won't get it. He will pay for this any way you cut it. This is one payment even Romney can't afford because it isn't ... money.

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps I have found the reason for the shrill whining noise I've been hearing of late.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/17752/presidential-polls-2012-gallup-puts-romney-ahead-nationally-in-swing-states-and-with-early-voters

It’s one week until Election Day, and President Obama is nowhere near where he needs to be to walk away with a second term on November 6. The latest presidential polls show former Governor Romney tied or ahead now in several key states. An average of the national presidential polls according to Real Clear Politics show Romney ahead of Obama nationally, 48% to 47.1%.

I still think Christie has gone rogue and can't be controlled anymore. He may win re-election in N.J., but the only Presidential administration he'll be sitting in will be Hilary Clinton's. wink.png

You might be surprised. The big middle of America loves the straight talk of Christie. Romney is going to lose and after that the republican party will go through a lot of soul searching (generously assuming they might have a soul) and someone like Christie might be just what the spin doctor ordered.

I still think Christie has gone rogue and can't be controlled anymore. He may win re-election in N.J., but the only Presidential administration he'll be sitting in will be Hilary Clinton's. wink.png

You might be surprised. The big middle of America loves the straight talk of Christie. Romney is going to lose and after that the republican party will go through a lot of soul searching (generously assuming they might have a soul) and someone like Christie might be just what the spin doctor ordered.

Yes I think I agree with you. He's the first straight talking Republican who shows he's not afraid to reach across the aisle in a long time. And, his actions portend where he thinks the wind is already blowing, and it's not from Boston....

Edited by keemapoot

Not exactly. Anything that takes attention away from Romney's pathetic response to Sandy is a plus for him. Romney lied about canceling campaign events. Instead he covered one up. An event called Romney Victory something was rebranded as a relief event. Then he played Romney propaganda and made the stupid, unhelpful request that people donate CANNED good. The Red Cross EXPLICITLY says NO CANNED GOODS now, they actually cause them a problem. They want and need CASH. But sending people home to write checks or donate online doesn't make for the Ryan fake soup kitchen cleaning photo op that showing the big man plutocrat Romney "loading" "relief" supplies on a truck does. Supplies not asked for. Supplies asked NOT to send. During this fiasco reporters asked Romney about his statements at the republican debate about gutting FEMA and privatizing FEMA. Romney totally ignored all of their questions, turned his back to them as if he was hard of hearing (NO RESPONSE, nada), and continued with his phony play acting that his little manual labor of loading these canned goods was more important. Sorry. This man does not have the right stuff to be president. Not by a long shot.

Of course Romney can't answer questions about FEMA now. If he doubles down or even just confirms on his debate statement, he commits political suicide. If he tries to Romnesia it now in the middle of a national disaster, the voters will see right through him. But that is what the VOTERS deserve right now, directly from the mouth of the Massachusetts plutocrat. Direct, clear, honest answers about the proper role of the FEDERAL government in national disasters. We won't get it. He will pay for this any way you cut it. This is one payment even Romney can't afford because it isn't ... money.

The Red Cross demands cash so they can take their 9% administrative costs off the top.

The American Red Cross Director had a total compensation package of $1,032,022 annually in 2010.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Salvation Army will always take canned goods in an emergency. I am sure Romney's campaign knows this as well.

The total compensation package for the National Commander was $126,920 annually as of 2010.

http://www.snopes.co...s/charities.asp

I am not buying that spin.

The Salvation Army is a right wing evangelical Christian organization.

Yes they do good charity work but it is usually limited by conditions of playing along with their belief system.

They are now seeking CASH donations as well for Sandy.

The American Red Cross is the much more mainstream non-governmental emergency relief agency and it is SECULAR. The United States is not a theocracy. Yet.

In the first stages of a disaster, nobody has the human resources to ship, receive, store, sort, and distribute large masses of RANDOM material goods quickly enough to meet the urgent needs at hand. Again, CASH on the spot is the immediate need to buy exactly what is needed at the LOCATION of the need.

Romney was just showboating. He knows it. The public knows it. And it backfired because the image from the event, which he lied wasn't a campaign event when it was, was of Romney avoiding questions about FEMA. That's the republican extremist ideology for you, at the very time when very BIG government is needed the most and the most critically, they are acting like it's a church social canned tuna drive level of event,

Edited by Jingthing

Even the media in other countries is pro Obama.

That's more do do with Romney being seen, right so, as a clown. Also, what's to write about? Romney announces either nothing or something so vague that to write anything about it would be pure guesswork. There is also time difference, by the time people in the UK for example wake up, Romney's mind would have changed so what is the point? If the media done that then they may as well just yesterdays weather report while they are at it. I spent just under 3 months in the UK before returning about a month ago. If I had to sum up what people think of Romney in one word, it would be buffoon.

Well, no prizes for guessing who you're supporting ( or I ) but Romney/ Ryan have more of a plan than Obama.

Obama has done his share of flip flops as well, so pointless trying to put Romney down for that.

BTW, when Obama presented his budget to Congress, it was unanimously rejected by both Republicans and the Democrats in the House and the Senate, ie NO Democrats voted for it, it was so bad! So Obama has never had a budget passed while President.

Perhaps I have found the reason for the shrill whining noise I've been hearing of late.

http://www.policymic...th-early-voters

It’s one week until Election Day, and President Obama is nowhere near where he needs to be to walk away with a second term on November 6. The latest presidential polls show former Governor Romney tied or ahead now in several key states. An average of the national presidential polls according to Real Clear Politics show Romney ahead of Obama nationally, 48% to 47.1%.

One of the things that lets you down Dan is that link actually undoes your argument.

Dig a little deeper the same website (real clear politics) has Obama up on the electoral college count:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

and if you click the 'no toss up' link you get Obama winning 294 to 244.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map_no_toss_ups.html

Now, one of the problems I think with conservatives is that you undo yourselves with your sloppy research or reliance on half baked arguments. You've just proved it again, Dan.

• Like 1

<Romney is going to lose>

I hope that if you are wrong you man up and admit it after the election. I will certainly be reminding you of your words in the event of the better man winning.

The Red Cross demands cash so they can take their 9% administrative costs off the top.

The American Red Cross Director had a total compensation package of $1,032,022 annually in 2010.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Salvation Army will always take canned goods in an emergency. I am sure Romney's campaign knows this as well.

The total compensation package for the National Commander was $126,920 annually as of 2010.

http://www.snopes.co...s/charities.asp

Chuck - take this from me mate having done a bit of pro-bono work for these types of Charities. They all take 10% to 20%. If they tell you any different, they are lying.

Yes I think I agree with you. He's the first straight talking Republican who shows he's not afraid to reach across the aisle in a long time. And, his actions portend where he thinks the wind is already blowing, and it's not from Boston....

If it hasn't been said already, it is probably in Christies interests to have Obama re-elected. Then he can run in 4 and not 8 years if Romney wins.

One of the things that lets you down Dan is that link actually undoes your argument.

Romney is still ahead on the popular vote and there ARE a bunch of states that are still tossups and very close. The winner gets those electoral votes. Joe Klein of Time Magazine - a big Obama supporter - says that anyone who says they know who will win are just blowing smoke. The thing is too close to call until we see what happens on November 6.

One of President Barack Obama’s latest campaign themes is trust — that he can be trusted and Republican nominee Mitt Romney can’t. Thanks to his own words, we know that Obama can be trusted to put ideology ahead of commonsense economic goals to put people back to work.

In an interview with the editorial board of the Des Moines Register, Obama was asked if he regretted his push to enact health-care overhaul legislation when he had huge Democratic majorities in Congress instead of emphasizing measures to fix the economy. “Absolutely not,” responded the president. http://www.suntimes....ican-dream.html

Edited by Ulysses G.

Chuck - take this from me mate having done a bit of pro-bono work for these types of Charities. They all take 10% to 20%. If they tell you any different, they are lying.

They are worse than that. in '04 when we wanted them to send some of the millions they'd raised from the UK to Phuket and Khao Lak, they refused as "they didn't know what it would be spent on". We told them to fly someone down with a credit card - the banks were operating normally and they were sitting on $150 million from the UK alone. Nope.

What did they do? They hired aircraft, bought rice in the international market and flew it to Bangkok; hired drivers and trucks and drove it down to Phuket. When we could have gone to the ****ing markets and bought it and transported it for a third of the price. And it wasn't as if there was a shortage of rice.

Ever since, I would strongly recommend you find other means to deliver aid than give it to these useless, wasteful big "charities" like Oxfam, the Red Cross/Crescent and so on.

The waste is incredible and the complete lack of local knowledge and understanding of local issues is pathetic.

Sorry to go off topic, but if people want to give cans of beans or dollar bills, give it to someone other than them.

Sorry, I don't agree with trying to score points off Romney for this one.

Edited by Chicog

Romney is still ahead on the popular vote and there ARE a bunch of states that are still tossups and very close. The winner gets those electoral votes. Joe Klein of Time Magazine - a big Obama supporter - says that anyone who says they know who will win are just blowing smoke. The thing is too close to call until we see what happens on November 6.

One of President Barack Obama’s latest campaign themes is trust — that he can be trusted and Republican nominee Mitt Romney can’t. Thanks to his own words, we know that Obama can be trusted to put ideology ahead of commonsense economic goals to put people back to work.

In an interview with the editorial board of the Des Moines Register, Obama was asked if he regretted his push to enact health-care overhaul legislation when he had huge Democratic majorities in Congress instead of emphasizing measures to fix the economy. “Absolutely not,” responded the president. http://www.suntimes....ican-dream.html

and you know my preditction on this already...

Romney gets to popular vote. Obama wins the vote which actually counts.

Republicans will have annurisms, Democrats will call it evens after Bush-Gore in 2000.

That is my prediction. I'm sure I'll be wrong somehow. But, as I always said as well, if I am correct, I'll only ever gloat on being one of the people here to get it right.

They are worse than that. in '04 when we wanted them to send some of the millions they'd raised from the UK to Phuket and Khao Lak, they refused as "they didn't know what it would be spent on". We told them to fly someone down with a credit card - the banks were operating normally and they were sitting on $150 million from the UK alone. Nope.

What did they do? They hired aircraft, bought rice in the international market and flew it to Bangkok; hired drivers and trucks and drove it down to Phuket. When we could have gone to the ****ing markets and bought it and transported it for a third of the price. And it wasn't as if there was a shortage of rice.

Ever since, I would strongly recommend you find other means to deliver aid than give it to these useless, wasteful big "charities" like Oxfam, the Red Cross/Crescent and so on.

The waste is incredible and the complete lack of local knowledge and understanding of local issues is pathetic.

Sorry to go off topic, but if people want to give cans of beans or dollar bills, give it to someone other than them.

Sorry, I don't agree with trying to score points off Romney for this one.

If they were competent, they'd probably be working in business. Organised "charities" are just another scam that feed off gullible people's desire to help. We live in a sad world.

• Like 1

<Romney is going to lose>

I hope that if you are wrong you man up and admit it after the election. I will certainly be reminding you of your words in the event of the better man winning.

That's kind of funny. So if Romney is elected president, you think I am going to say that Obama is still getting a second term? Okie dokie. Anyway, my prediction has stood for weeks now and I stand by it:

Obama wins reelection by 25 electoral votes

Obama wins or loses the popular vote by 3 to -1 percent

If I'm right, I guess I'll gloat a little. If not, reality will bite.

The fallout from the October surprise storm makes me even more confident of my prediction.

Edited by Jingthing

At the end of the day Ulysses - stripping away the touchy feely stuff - universal health care is good econmics.

I'm an economist at the end of the day. I've got a masters level minor in health economics - from a university not known for its left wing economics. Universal health care is, and will always will be good economics. Obama should be applauded for moving 25% of the way there.

Opposition to it unfortunately, is ideological....and bad economics.

In theory yes. Unfortunately government doesn't seem to be able to manage it. Just look at the way the British NHS has been stuffed up. I know- I worked in it for 10 years and it's a disaster.

No doubt all nationalized health programs have their own unique problems, but the pre-Obamacare U.S. medical system takes the cake. The most expensive medical system in the world with the absolutely worse access percentages of population of any "advanced" country.

At the end of the day Ulysses - stripping away the touchy feely stuff - universal health care is good econmics.

I do not claim to be an economist or anywhere close to it, but I do know that there are respected economists that disagree with you and I do find it difficult to believe that we can afford to switch to it when we are well on our way to going broke.

I would be all for it, if the economy was thriving, but it is not.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I'm an economist at the end of the day. I've got a masters level minor in health economics - from a university not known for its left wing economics. Universal health care is, and will always will be good economics. Obama should be applauded for moving 25% of the way there.

In theory yes. Unfortunately government doesn't seem to be able to manage it. Just look at the way the British NHS has been stuffed up. I know- I worked in it for 10 years and it's a disaster.

There isn't a perfect answer. I'd be lying if I said if it was. I've got criticisms of the NHS - primarily when everything is 'free' to the consumer you overwhelm the system. Australia I'd argue does it somewhat better - nominal charges to stop the old grandma's using the visit to the GP as an excuse to have a chat, but nothing excessive to that it is beyond the reach of anyone who really needs to access it.

But we are waaaay off topic.

• Like 2

Oh great, the 'blame the media' group is out again. None are so blind as those who will not see.

im a Brit so dont really care who wins, but if we are talking lies here , i have never heard such a bias news channel as fox , which has pushed me away from that romney guy , who seems to be a clone of GWB IMHO, ...and i feel that any national news channel that was so obviously bias would be banned in the UK.

Edited by osiboy
  • Like 1

There isn't a perfect answer. I'd be lying if I said if it was. I've got criticisms of the NHS - primarily when everything is 'free' to the consumer you overwhelm the system. Australia I'd argue does it somewhat better - nominal charges to stop the old grandma's using the visit to the GP as an excuse to have a chat, but nothing excessive to that it is beyond the reach of anyone who really needs to access it.

But we are waaaay off topic.

#1494 Hmmmm, wasn't it you that started this sidetrack, LOL.

Oh great, the 'blame the media' group is out again. None are so blind as those who will not see.

im a Brit so dont really care who wins, but if we are talking lies here , i have never heard such a bias news channel as fox , which has pushed me away from that romney guy , who seems to be a clone of GWB to IMHO, ...and i feel that any national news channel that was so obviously bias would be banned in the UK.

So you should tune in to MSNBC then!

Whether you are a Brit or not is irrelevant, as we will all suffer if the US goes down again.

• Like 2