Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

Well two things one Bobby Kennedy was not the president for a president to show favoritism towards the colored population would bring out a whole raft of closet bigots.

Fact number two that was a whole lot different America in those days. Why didn't you go all the way back to Lincoln

Actually as far as black peoples (also other minorities of course as well) over-representation in America's underclass, and most tragically it's prison population, America is really not all that different than it was in the days of RFK (who probably would have been president if not assassinated). Probably even worse on the prison front. I was responding to the entire article not just the snippet. We're only allowed to quote snippets rather than entire articles. Perhaps the more key point is "the look" that was described about RFK and what that intensity of FEELING in a leader has the potential to communicate to the public. You can't fake that or hopefully you can't. I wouldn't want Obama to fake it. I don't think he has it in him. It's not only about black people, it's about passion for a mission to address severe poverty and inequality. I never really felt that from Obama, though of course his ideology and policies are much more favorable for the underclass than the republicans. But the RESULTS are not very stellar and I wonder if a leader with real passion for those issues could do better.

Maybe the days of that kind of liberalism are over, for good, but when these horrible systematic injustices still exist, I don't think they SHOULD be over.

You do know that RFK worked closely with McCarthy chasing down Communists in the gov't? Some people would say a lot of injustice was done then.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years in the UK, the term 'doing a Mugabe' was used to indicate that someone had used underhand means to get what they wanted, gain power etc. While you can still hear it, these days you hear 'doing an Ahmadinejad' more often though mostly from people in their 20s and 30s. If Romney wins then do doubt I will hear 'doing a Romney' from the next generation.

If you had been keeping up with the news you might notice some very Mugabe-like trickery coming from the Democrats. This list is just from the past week or two...

* Voting machines in North Carolina switch vote for Romney to vote for Obama.

http://www.thenewame...g-machine-in-nc

* Democrat congressman's campaign manager (and son) caught on video telling an undercover reporter how to illegally vote for a list of registered voters who don't intend to vote themselves.

http://atlasshrugs20...oter-fraud.html

* The Obama campaign breaking federal law by accepting campaign contributions from foreign sources. The Romney campaign website has precautions built-in to avoid this. Obama's website has none. One reporter even recently made donations as "Osama bin Laden, dead terrorist, living in Abbottobad". Not only was his money accepted, he received several emails from the campaign asking for even more money.

http://www.humaneven...obama-campaign/

* Van loads of Somali immigrants being taken to early voting centers in Ohio, being instructed who to vote for (illegal)

http://www.humaneven...mitted-in-ohio/

* Fraudulent letters being sent to Florida Republicans telling them they have been flagged as suspected non-citizen voters.

http://www.tampabay....-voters/1258012

If you had been keeping up you would know that I acknowledge that both do it, though Romney does it on an industrial scale and this is what 'doing a Mugabe' means. It's not doing it in the dark in an alley but doing it brazenly in front of 100 witnesses. This works (so it seems) in the US but the rest of the world (mostly) sees it for what it is.... It is an insult to peoples intellect and an insult to peoples humanity.

Edited by notmyself

KETTERING, Ohio (The Borowitz Report)—Hitting the campaign trail one day after the arrival of Superstorm Sandy, Republican nominee Mitt Romney tweaked his position on abortion today, saying he now supports it in cases where it makes people vote for him.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/10/romney-says-he-favors-abortion-in-cases-where-it-makes-people-vote-for-him.html#ixzz2AowRvKjf

It could be real which is a shame.

• Like 1

So, can I assume that posts from Koheetsi and UG are admissions that so far in this crisis Obama has shown great Presidential leadership, since a Republican hero, Christie, has said so?

I will admit that he has done the same job concerning a natural disaster that any president would have done. Does that count?

• Like 1

So, can I assume that posts from Koheetsi and UG are admissions that so far in this crisis Obama has shown great Presidential leadership, since a Republican hero, Christie, has said so?

I will admit that he has done the same job concerning a natural disaster that any president would have done. Does that count?

Sure, obviously I was just having a little (non-baiting?) fun. I don't like the guy much either. I just dislike Romney more.

BTW, this storm might cost Obama the popular vote, but he was probably going to lose that anyway. But it will surely bring up questions again about the legitimacy of the electoral college.

Why Hurricane Sandy might cost Obama the popular vote—but not the presidency

More significant, it would rekindle the argument over the Electoral College that arose—briefly—in 2000: Is this 200-year old mechanism, with an overtly anti-democratic tilt (small states have disproportionately more clout than big states), the right way to choose a president?

After immersing myself in the mysteries of the Electoral College for a novel I wrote in the ’90s, I came away believing that the case for scrapping it is less obvious than I originally thought.

For one thing, losing the popular vote is not necessarily a sign of what “the people” really wanted. Candidates structure their campaigns around the Electoral College; had 2000 been a popular voteelection, George W. Bush would have spent more time running up the vote in Texas and California’s inland empire, while Al Gore would have been campaigning in Dallas and Atlanta.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-hurricane-sandy-might-cost-obama-the-popular-vote-but-not-the-presidency-1030125687.html

Not my argument but if you had said 'I concede that he .....' I would not have posted this. If I am wrong then I will say I am wrong rather that just saying the other person is right. This epitomizes Republican's and their voters.

There is a good chance Obama would have lost the popular vote anyway, but the electoral vote is tied to the popular vote and things are very close in both Ohio and Wisconsin and even Pennsylvania looks like it might be up for grabs. It could easily go either way.

Edited by Ulysses G.

During this storm, when the candidates and VPs have to give the appearance of non-campaigning, it's nice to have a loved former President surrogate do the heavy lifting for you. The democrats are fortunate in that their recent 2 term President does not sit in disgrace, and that they have not expunged their recent former President from the public's consciousness, rather they have embraced it. Too bad for Romney/Ryan....

DENVER (AP) - Former President Bill Clinton is scheduled to campaign in Denver and Aurora after President Barack Obama canceled a Colorado Springs event Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy.

The storm has thrown the election into even greater turmoil. Obama is grounded in Washington, D.C., where he will be relying on the former president, known in political circles as "The Big Dog," to carry his message on Tuesday.

I have to wonder just WHY Clinton is campaigning for Obama, given the appalling campaign Obama ran against Hillary.

BTW, goes to show what short memories people have, if they love Bill so much. Never mind him lying and throwing Lewinsky under the bus!

Wow, the hits just keep on comin' from Bill Clinton. He could be the October surprise in the election. Time to send in your closer, and he is the best.

A CBS/New York Times poll last month found Clinton to be more popular than at any time during the past two decades, with 66 percent of registered voters viewing him favorably. That makes him the president's most popular surrogate; First Lady Michelle Obama was viewed favorably by 61 percent. In contrast, Obama's favorability is below 50 percent.

"If Obama is reelected, what will have been the best moment of his campaign? One another president gave him," Castellanos said, referring to Clinton's rousing convention speech. "Bill Clinton didn't just give Obama an endorsement, he gave him a rationale. Even after hundreds of millions of dollars and months of campaigning, Obama couldn't do that for himself."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/the-closer-clinton-goes-where-obama-cant-and-says-what-obama-cant/264310/

It would be sad to think the reason Obama gets elected is because of Bill Clinton.

Not my argument but if you had said 'I concede that he .....' I would not have posted this. If I am wrong then I will say I am wrong rather that just saying the other person is right. This epitomizes Republican's and their voters.

Wrong about what? Talk about grasping for straws. I did not criticize Obama about handling the natural disaster. I have criticized him for the terrible economy and his apology tour and many other issues, but he has been competent so far on the hurricane.

Here's what happens when you are not the President and have no official government function and try to insert yourself into a crisis to gain political benefit. It can backfire on you and make you look incompetent.

At a Romney campaign rally on Tuesday in Kettering, Ohio, hastily rebranded as a “storm relief” event, he asked attendees to bring food and goods to donate.

And in Virginia, the Romney campaign’s call for donations went out at an awkward time. Just as public safety officials, along with every weatherman in the country, were warning people to stay off the roads and hunker down in advance of the damaging storm, Team Romney was urging them to hit the roads and come by campaign offices.
  • Like 1

Hurricane Sandy may serve to remind voters that Romney and his sidekick Ryan would both slash FEMA funding and disaster relief.

This is the man that wants to transfer the responsibility to the states and preferably to private industry. It's nice to know that the poorer states will be left to their own devices. Little Bobby Jindal sa big Romney supporter can huff and puff to his heart's content because his state has benefited from the billions spent by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and he knows they are not leaving.. If the feds didn't fund FEMA and provide federal aid to Republican states in tornado alley or in the hurricane belt, those states would be bankrupt after one major event.

post-46941-0-25705600-1351648015_thumb.j

Hurricane Sandy may serve to remind voters that Romney and his sidekick Ryan would both slash FEMA funding and disaster relief.

Romney is not alone on reducing the role of FEMA. Obama's proposed cuts to FEMA for the upcoming budget sequester included the following :

• Flood Hazard Mapping and Risk Analysis Program - $8 million
  • State and Local Emergency Programs (non-defense) - $183 million
  • State and Local Emergency Programs (defense) - $5 million
  • United States Fire Administration and Training - $4 million
  • Salaries and Expenses (non-defense) - $75 million
  • Salaries and Expenses (defense) - $7 million
  • Disaster Relief - $580 million
  • Emergency Food and Shelter - $10 million
  • Radiological Emergency Preparedness Program - $3 million
  • National Pre-disaster Mitigation Fund - $3 million

http://www.whitehous...s/stareport.pdf pages 94-96

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I was actually going to ask if there is some kind of provision for delaying an election in case of natural disaster or something. But I would think it's going to be OK by election day, as the voluptuous Fox weather girl is reassuring everyone that it's a-heading north and them darned Canadians is going to get it in the neck!

I could imagine all sorts of lawsuits flying around if people felt they were denied their right to vote.

The US Constitution gave the setting of election day to Congress. Congress, in 1845, then set Presidential election day as being the Tuesday following the first Monday in November.

It would take Congressional action to delay or change the election day. A very unlikely occurrence.

Perhaps if you spent a little less time ogling TV weather girls you could do this sort of research yourself. Probably not as much fun though.wink.png

This article out today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q&A: Could Sandy postpone the election?

By JOSH LEDERMAN | Associated Press – 5 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — One week before a close election, superstorm Sandy has confounded the presidential race, halted early voting in many areas and led some to ponder whether the election might even be postponed.

It could take days to restore electricity to more than 8 million homes and businesses that lost power when the storm pummeled the East Coast. That means it's possible power could still be out in parts of some states on Election Day next Tuesday — a major problem for precincts that rely on electronic voting machines.

But as the storm breached the coast, even some of those intimately involved in the election seemed in the dark about what options are available to cope with the storm. Asked Monday whether President Barack Obama had the power to reschedule the election, White House press secretary Jay Carney said he wasn't sure.

Article continues here: http://news.yahoo.co...--election.html

He has done some off the wall things lately. He was supposed to downplay expectations for Romney's first debate, but instead he praised him to high heaven. He gave a convention speech that was mostly about himself and not much about Romney. Maybe it is something to do with his own ambitions to run in 2016.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Romney is not alone on reducing the role of FEMA. Obama's proposed cuts to FEMA for the upcoming budget sequester included the following :

Those supposed 'cuts' in funding would make more sense if put in perspective of what the budgets were before they were cut.

If a person's house burns down or its roof is blown off due to natural causes, FEMA and/or fed/state money is not there

If that same person's house suffers the same fate, along with multiple houses in the same area, the FEMA money would likely be in the pipeline to assist.

My question: what's the difference between having your house seriously damaged in isolation or in a group situation? To me, not much. You're still left with a destroyed house from natural causes. Why is there fed. assistance in one scenario and not the other?

He has done some off the wall things lately. He was supposed to downplay expectations for Romney's first debate, but instead he praised him to high heaven. He gave a convention speech that was mostly about himself an not much about Romney. Maybe something to do with his own ambitions to run in 2016.

I wonder which party? wink.png

• Like 1

Is Christie after a job in the Obama government (assuming he wins of course)?

that's cute, but Obama would have won regardless. In response to another post, I agree that if electricity is still down on election day, that could delay voting tallies. Then the James Baker-like Republican attack dogs will be let loose, and it could turn ugly quickly.

Those supposed 'cuts' in funding would make more sense if put in perspective of what the budgets were before they were cut.

That applies to Mitt Romney as well. He wants to cut funding for FEMA, not get rid of it altogether.

Is Christie after a job in the Obama government (assuming he wins of course)?

that's cute, but Obama would have won regardless. In response to another post, I agree that if electricity is still down on election day, that could delay voting tallies. Then the James Baker-like Republican attack dogs will be let loose, and it could turn ugly quickly.

Are you saying the game is already over?

Where's the fat lady.......or maybe Christie is the substitute? biggrin.png

Here is an article from our Russian friends that will likely provide lots of votes for Romney.

Many Americans remember that open mic chat between Obama and Medvedev and makes one wonder what the Russians are afraid of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBAMA DOMINATES ROMNEY IN RUSSIAN OPINION POLL

Published: 30 October, 2012, 17:01

An overwhelming percentage of Russians said the reelection of US President Barack Obama would better serve Russia’s national interests as opposed to the presidential challenger, Mitt Romney.

An overwhelming percentage of Russians say the reelection of US President Barack Obama would better serve Russia’s national interests as opposed to the presidential challenger, Mitt Romney.

With the presidential race in the United States going down to the wire among American voters, Mitt Romney must be thankful that Russian citizens are not eligible to vote in US elections.

In a nationwide poll that tracked Russians’ political attitudes, a whopping 41 per cent of respondents said they want to see President Obama voted back into the White House, while just 8 per cent expressed preference for Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

http://rt.com/politi...ssia-putin-576/

If a person's house burns down or its roof is blown off due to natural causes, FEMA and/or fed/state money is not there

If that same person's house suffers the same fate, along with multiple houses in the same area, the FEMA money would likely be in the pipeline to assist.

My question: what's the difference between having your house seriously damaged in isolation or in a group situation? To me, not much. You're still left with a destroyed house from natural causes. Why is there fed. assistance in one scenario and not the other?

It has everything to do with being declared a "Disaster Relief area".

One roof being blown off by a tornado would hardly qualify for Disaster relief while Hurricane Sandy certainly would be.

It's really pretty simple.

One roof being blown off by a tornado would hardly qualify for Disaster relief while Hurricane Sandy certainly would be.

I understand the principles, regarding what qualifies and what doesn't. However, if your house roof is blown off by a high wind, why should you get funding (to re-build) if it's in a group situation, and not get funding if it's an isolated incident? My point here, is it's a disaster for the homeowner either way, yet in one scenario there's federal relief money, in the other there isn't.

It's not an election issue, but more of a general issue of what qualifies to get a handouts and what doesn't.

I understand the principles, regarding what qualifies and what doesn't. However, if your house roof is blown off by a high wind, why should you get funding (to re-build) if it's in a group situation, and not get funding if it's an isolated incident? My point here, is it's a disaster for the homeowner either way, yet in one scenario there's federal relief money, in the other there isn't.

It's not an election issue, but more of a general issue of what qualifies to get a handouts and what doesn't.

If it is NOT an election issue, then your post is off topic. This thread is about the 2012 Presidential election, not nature's fury.

• Like 1

And here is the topic about the storm:

Events around the storm which may affect the election are on-topic, but let's make sure they do not overshadow the discussion. For example, voter turnout would be relevant, but global warming probably not.

He has done some off the wall things lately. He was supposed to downplay expectations for Romney's first debate, but instead he praised him to high heaven. He gave a convention speech that was mostly about himself and not much about Romney. Maybe it is something to do with his own ambitions to run in 2016.

I think I read something about him facing a lot of pressure for re-election by a democrat, and maybe he's trying to reach out to democrats?