Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

I don't see what the fuss us about. So there are some apps (that you may or may not ever use/need) that you need to download in a different way. Big deal. How could that possibly be a deal breaker? Ok if you make your living on a tablet or spend a ridiculous amount of time with it, perhaps you should buy a premium unit. But if I can get the majority of features for a third the price the choice seems obvious to me. I am not stuck in a consumerist mindset where I feel shame at not having the right labels on my purchases.

For me this thing needs to do email, surf the web, play movies, and play a few kid's games. I am sure it will do this right out of the box.

Just because we live in a universe with a million apps, doesn't mean we need them,

So what did you get in the end canuckamuck? I think you're right to skip the expensive IPads.

I bought an IPad 1 for the Mrs for Xmas when it came out. She loved it. The kids did too and took to it straight away, and it was a delight to watch them learn. One wasn't enough for the Mrs and 2 kids. So next XMas I bought the Mrs an Ipad 2, and we put the Ipad1 in a box for the kids as an Xmas present.The older girl (5 at the time) realised it was mummy's old one and said we were "cheating" as the new one should be hers. She wasn't too bothered tho, and they were happy to have their own, and overall we had 2. Apart from the Ipad2 being white and having a camera they couldn't really tell the difference, so whatever all the extra features are make zero difference to a kid.

They use them for 1) playing games (older one can download apps herself) and various Apps like colouring in pictures, making cakes etc; 2) watching Youtube - mainly cartoons 3) Educational material on the web (their school uses them) 4) Looking at and taking photos with the new one. The wife uses it mainly for 1) Youtube (Thai lakorn), 2) email 3) Surfing the web and forums like LadyInter (=Thaivisa in Thai for Thai ladies) 4) Photos. I prefer my notebook or desktop PC, and only really use if outside the home.

Another thing to think of with your kid is they will drop it, and it may cause superficial damage. With Apple in Thailand that could well cause you hassles with your warranty and cost THB 10k+ for a replacement. That happened to us. Dents on the corner. Later stopped working. So then ball park 30k total for one tablet! Doesn't matter if the dents are related to why it stops working or not, they'll just say it's 10k+ for a new one!

Better to buy a cheap model when you think what you and your child will use it for. Esepcially as a first timer you don't know what you're missing anyway, as long as it does the basics. You'll also find out you need more than one, when you, the wife and kid want to use it at the same time. So better 2 cheaps ones, particularly if it stops working in Thailand.

Arnova also do a cheap "Child Pad" for about $100 based on one of their other models, so you might get one of those for the little one and a similar one for you. I believe it doesn't have "Google Play" or full functional Google whatever, but has some special Apps for kids instead.

Lastly I'd add, I've just ordered our 3rd tablet. After Ipad1, Ipad2............ I chose an Archos 80 G9. Free with airmiles from Eithad, that were about to expire. Could have gone for an Ipad3 with more miles, but for the basic stuff it gets used for in our house seemed a waste. Will be interested to see how it compares and how the kids take to it. My guess is they'll fight over the new one, regardless of all the fancy tech specs on the old ones, Then we can keep the Ipad2 off the kids just for mum (and occasionally dad) smile.png

I have decided to wait for the Onda V972. Hopefully some one will get one and update this thread,

But this thread is already a wealth of information beyond anything I expected. Thanks everyone for all the great posts

• Like 1

I don't see what the fuss us about. So there are some apps (that you may or may not ever use/need) that you need to download in a different way. Big deal. How could that possibly be a deal breaker? Ok if you make your living on a tablet or spend a ridiculous amount of time with it, perhaps you should buy a premium unit. But if I can get the majority of features for a third the price the choice seems obvious to me. I am not stuck in a consumerist mindset where I feel shame at not having the right labels on my purchases.

For me this thing needs to do email, surf the web, play movies, and play a few kid's games. I am sure it will do this right out of the box.

Just because we live in a universe with a million apps, doesn't mean we need them,

So what did you get in the end canuckamuck? I think you're right to skip the expensive IPads.

I bought an IPad 1 for the Mrs for Xmas when it came out. She loved it. The kids did too and took to it straight away, and it was a delight to watch them learn. One wasn't enough for the Mrs and 2 kids. So next XMas I bought the Mrs an Ipad 2, and we put the Ipad1 in a box for the kids as an Xmas present.The older girl (5 at the time) realised it was mummy's old one and said we were "cheating" as the new one should be hers. She wasn't too bothered tho, and they were happy to have their own, and overall we had 2. Apart from the Ipad2 being white and having a camera they couldn't really tell the difference, so whatever all the extra features are make zero difference to a kid.

They use them for 1) playing games (older one can download apps herself) and various Apps like colouring in pictures, making cakes etc; 2) watching Youtube - mainly cartoons 3) Educational material on the web (their school uses them) 4) Looking at and taking photos with the new one. The wife uses it mainly for 1) Youtube (Thai lakorn), 2) email 3) Surfing the web and forums like LadyInter (=Thaivisa in Thai for Thai ladies) 4) Photos. I prefer my notebook or desktop PC, and only really use if outside the home.

Another thing to think of with your kid is they will drop it, and it may cause superficial damage. With Apple in Thailand that could well cause you hassles with your warranty and cost THB 10k+ for a replacement. That happened to us. Dents on the corner. Later stopped working. So then ball park 30k total for one tablet! Doesn't matter if the dents are related to why it stops working or not, they'll just say it's 10k+ for a new one!

Better to buy a cheap model when you think what you and your child will use it for. Esepcially as a first timer you don't know what you're missing anyway, as long as it does the basics. You'll also find out you need more than one, when you, the wife and kid want to use it at the same time. So better 2 cheaps ones, particularly if it stops working in Thailand.

Arnova also do a cheap "Child Pad" for about $100 based on one of their other models, so you might get one of those for the little one and a similar one for you. I believe it doesn't have "Google Play" or full functional Google whatever, but has some special Apps for kids instead.

Lastly I'd add, I've just ordered our 3rd tablet. After Ipad1, Ipad2............ I chose an Archos 80 G9. Free with airmiles from Eithad, that were about to expire. Could have gone for an Ipad3 with more miles, but for the basic stuff it gets used for in our house seemed a waste. Will be interested to see how it compares and how the kids take to it. My guess is they'll fight over the new one, regardless of all the fancy tech specs on the old ones, Then we can keep the Ipad2 off the kids just for mum (and occasionally dad) smile.png

Fletch:)...In case you don't know, the 3G adaptor slot in the back of the 80G9 can also be used as a port for USB thumb drives. I used it for read only, I never tried to write to it and don't know if it is possible.

I recently lost my 80G9 and really miss it. It was a nice tablet for travel and casual cafe use. I found the 8" screen size much better for movies and videos than 7" screens such as the Kindle Fire. I also miss that nifty built in stand, used a lot in coffee shops watching YouTube...:-(

What each person does with their tablets, or wants to do, may vary considerably from person to person. So what features matter to a buyer is going to be a personal, individual thing... But here are some things beyond the common ones mentioned above that might merit consideration when making a purchasing decision:

--Bluetooth capability, for connecting wirelessly to speakers, headsets, keyboards, etc.

--USB OTG capable, meaning the device's USB port will support USB stick data storage devices.

--HDMI video out capable for playing video from your tablet onto a television.

--Two stereo speakers vs. a single mono speaker for listening to music.

--Speaker placement, as in, having front or at least side-firing speakers, so the sound is not muffled the the tablet is set on a table, in a case, etc.

--USB charging capable, instead of having a separate, proprietary charging port/cable. That way, the tablet can be charged with any generic USB cable, and you're not SOL in case you happen to lose the tablet's own sole proprietary charger somewhere along the way.

--MicroSD slot for expanding the tablet's data storage beyond the built-in disk space.

--SIM slot for 3G/mobile data capability, for those times when there isn't a wifi connection available, or you're on the move/traveling and can't stay connected to any consistent wifi source.

--And although it has been mentioned above, capable of accessing the Google Play Store, so you don't have to hassle with manually finding and checking updates for the various apps installed on your tablet.

• Like 2

Haas anyone seen the Google Nexus 7 for sale anywhere in Pattaya? I've been everywhere that's likely to sell them but have been unable to find. Tucom seems to be limited to I Pad and Samsung tablets with a few copy tablets thrown in.

Haas anyone seen the Google Nexus 7 for sale anywhere in Pattaya? I've been everywhere that's likely to sell them but have been unable to find. Tucom seems to be limited to I Pad and Samsung tablets with a few copy tablets thrown in.

Seems they are getting difficult to find as Apple has set quotas on them for Thailand. If desperate, I see B&H Photo in the US has them at $249.00 (7470 Baht). Of course have to add shipping to that.

Just order it from 7/11 online shop.

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

A search in 7/11 online shop shows no products matching that description.

sent from my Q6

http://www.shopat7.com/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0-IT/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C/tablet

But it looks like they are out of stock at the moment.

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

http://www.shopat7.c...¸­à¸£à¹Œ/tablet

But it looks like they are out of stock at the moment.

sent from my Q6

I was hoping to be able to buy directly from a shop, so in the advent of any problems I can return it for repair.

Interesting that the 7/11 online site listed above is offering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in 16 GB with AIS 3G for 9.990 baht....including a carrying case.

That tablet seems to have gotten pretty good reviews as a mid-size option between the more common 7 and 10 inch varieties, and recently had an update to ICS via OTA or Kies from the Honeycomb OS it shipped with....

Couple of drawbacks are no microSD slot, although 13 GB of available space is decent, a proprietary charger/data port instead of standard microUSB, and video out only through a proprietary, extra cost add-on adapter, according to the various reviews I read.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Interesting that the 7/11 online site is offering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in 16 GB with AIS 3G for 9.990 baht....

That tablet seems to have gotten pretty good reviews as a mid-size option between the more common 7 and 10 inch varieties, and recently had an update to ICS via OTA or Kies from the Honeycomb OS it shipped with....

Couple of drawbacks are no microSD slot, although 13 GB of available space is decent, a proprietary charger/data port instead of standard microUSB, and video out only through a proprietary, extra cost add-on adapter, according to the various reviews I read.

Tesco has them on special at that price, but only in white.

I have decided to wait for the Onda V972. Hopefully some one will get one and update this thread,

But this thread is already a wealth of information beyond anything I expected. Thanks everyone for all the great posts

Agree a very useful thread. Some of it over my head though. Nice when people share their areas of expertise in Forums :)

BTW You might be interested in the following sites for you kid for learning maths as you said you were looking for educational stuff. Our kids enjoy it.:

http://uk.ixl.com/

or US version

http://www.ixl.com/

You can use on a normal PC as well as tablet. Think there's a fee, for us their school subscribes already so we don't pay extra - Pre-school up.

:)

Fletch:)...In case you don't know, the 3G adaptor slot in the back of the 80G9 can also be used as a port for USB thumb drives. I used it for read only, I never tried to write to it and don't know if it is possible.

I recently lost my 80G9 and really miss it. It was a nice tablet for travel and casual cafe use. I found the 8" screen size much better for movies and videos than 7" screens such as the Kindle Fire. I also miss that nifty built in stand, used a lot in coffee shops watching YouTube...:-(

Cheers for that Dave, I didn't know, but had wondered. The 80G9 is still in transit with UPS. Looks like it may be delivered early, which might cause a few hassles as we're outside Thailand at the moment and won't be there for delivery! It said 14 working days, but now seems early. We'll be back for Xmas though and hopefully I can sort it out with UPS - I believe they try 3 deliveries. Not sure what happens after that.

We're in Vietnam at the moment and internet access is very cheap. For $2 a month you can get a SIM card with unlimited internet access. So if all goes well, I was planing to look at a 3G stick in 2013 and put in a Vietnam SIMcard when back here.

On 3G for the Archos 80 G9, I have 3 questions if anyone knows:

1) Can it be used as a wi-fi hot spot?

2) I have a DTAC aircard (3G) which is a USB stick I normally plug in my notebook PC. Will that be able to work in the 80 G9 tablet in Thailand?

3) Anyone any experience of using the DTAC aircard outside Thailand in a tablet with a different SIM card of that particularly country?

Cheers

Fletch :)

The 80G9 is still in transit with UPS. Looks like it may be delivered early, which might cause a few hassles as we're outside Thailand at the moment and won't be there for delivery! It said 14 working days, but now seems early. We'll be back for Xmas though and hopefully I can sort it out with UPS - I believe they try 3 deliveries. Not sure what happens after that.

I'm waiting for a UPS delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Thought I would check what options are available as I have the UPS tracking window up in one tab. Appears you can reschedule if needed but looks like a charge for it.

post-566-0-49823800-1355374987_thumb.jpg

Pib and Tywais thanks for the advice .. yes I found those areas and I am still trying to connect. I'm sure it's just a matter of trial and error .. in my case mostly error!

-O

I hear you!!!....I'm smarter today because of all the errors I have made (and continue to make).tongue.png

I have set up the VPN, nothing to it really .. BUT I signed up for HuluPlus, and when I load the application I get a message saying that my AIGO M80 is not supported! The AIGO M80 was not on the Huluplus page of supported devices, but Android smart phones and tablets were? I emailed customer support and I received a boiler plated reply with a link to installing the HuluPlus App on Android devices (2.2 +).

I upgraded to Hulu Plus from my existing free Hulu account. I may cancel, and try signing up directly to Hulu Plus as a new account from my AIGO tablet.

I know that the Apple ipads are supported, I'm wondering if anyone else has signed up and installed Hulu plus on their Android tablets that they bought in Thailand?

Any advice will be appreciated.

-O

The 80G9 is still in transit with UPS. Looks like it may be delivered early, which might cause a few hassles as we're outside Thailand at the moment and won't be there for delivery! It said 14 working days, but now seems early. We'll be back for Xmas though and hopefully I can sort it out with UPS - I believe they try 3 deliveries. Not sure what happens after that.

I'm waiting for a UPS delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Thought I would check what options are available as I have the UPS tracking window up in one tab. Appears you can reschedule if needed but looks like a charge for it.

Mine arrived today. Showed they were unable to deliver on 1st attempt. I called UPS in Khlongtoey. Got bounced around the system a bit, pressing 1 for this and 2 for that, before being cut off a couple of times. Eventually got thru, the guy asked the date when I was back and took my Thai mobile number to call me and they will call again on that date for delivery. I've a charge of THB 308 to pay. So far not too bad.

Cheers for that Dave, I didn't know, but had wondered. The 80G9 is still in transit with UPS. Looks like it may be delivered early, which might cause a few hassles as we're outside Thailand at the moment and won't be there for delivery! It said 14 working days, but now seems early. We'll be back for Xmas though and hopefully I can sort it out with UPS - I believe they try 3 deliveries. Not sure what happens after that.

We're in Vietnam at the moment and internet access is very cheap. For $2 a month you can get a SIM card with unlimited internet access. So if all goes well, I was planing to look at a 3G stick in 2013 and put in a Vietnam SIMcard when back here.

On 3G for the Archos 80 G9, I have 3 questions if anyone knows:

1) Can it be used as a wi-fi hot spot?

2) I have a DTAC aircard (3G) which is a USB stick I normally plug in my notebook PC. Will that be able to work in the 80 G9 tablet in Thailand?

3) Anyone any experience of using the DTAC aircard outside Thailand in a tablet with a different SIM card of that particularly country?

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Questions 1 & 3; I cant answer. As to #2, according to Archos; no. They claim only their propitiatory 3G adaptor will work. I saw an Archos 3g adaptor for sale at a shop in Fortune City several months ago: B2000. Archos also has a sales office somewhere in Bangkok. You'll have to Google it for the address. They also will sell you the adapter for B2000

I didn't feel the need for 3G so I passed on it.

Questions 1 & 3; I cant answer. As to #2, according to Archos; no. They claim only their propitiatory 3G adaptor will work. I saw an Archos 3g adaptor for sale at a shop in Fortune City several months ago: B2000. Archos also has a sales office somewhere in Bangkok. You'll have to Google it for the address. They also will sell you the adapter for B2000

I didn't feel the need for 3G so I passed on it.

Cheers for the note Dave. I have to admit I didn't see the need for 3G either while in Thailand, given all the arguing over licences, so I bought an Ipad1 without it and then Ipad2 without it, as it seemed a waste of money until they all got their act sorted.

Now in Vietnam, as 3G is so cheap, I was thinking about getting it on the new 80 G9 we're getting. Hence the question whether I could use it as a hotspot for the other 2 Ipads to connect to. I like the way the Archos lets you buy later... :)

re.

Haas anyone seen the Google Nexus 7 for sale

in chiang mai .... yes

chi chang on the ground floor of pantip plaza have some

and so do siam tv on the moat both at 9900 ish ? for the 32 gb model

i looked but with only a front camera and no built in

micro sd slot to expand it i said no : (

dave2

post-42592-0-72195900-1355620392_thumb.j

post-42592-0-28038600-1355620452_thumb.j

Just by way of comparison, a bunch of vendors are selling the same model via Amazon...generally in the $270 range, which works out to 8300b or so...

But that price, of course, doesn't cover getting the unit from the U.S. to Thailand.

The problem is that the US sellers will charge anything from $30 to more than $50 for postage, and I think you still have to pay some tax as well on arrival in Thailand. Much better to try and buy locally, works out around the same price.

Invadeit (Thailand) was selling it online for 9900 baht, but they are now out of stock. 7Shop (Thailand) was selling for the same price, but have now jacked it up to 11500 baht. Haven't seen one retailer in Pattaya stocking the Nexus 7.

Just by way of comparison, a bunch of vendors are selling the same model via Amazon...generally in the $270 range, which works out to 8300b or so...

But that price, of course, doesn't cover getting the unit from the U.S. to Thailand.

The problem is that the US sellers will charge anything from $30 to more than $50 for postage, and I think you still have to pay some tax as well on arrival in Thailand. Much better to try and buy locally, works out around the same price.

Invadeit (Thailand) was selling it online for 9900 baht, but they are now out of stock. 7Shop (Thailand) was selling for the same price, but have now jacked it up to 11500 baht. Haven't seen one retailer in Pattaya stocking the Nexus 7.

ummm that 11900b price is for the 32gb 3g one.. same prices for the others 9900b for 32gb and 8900b for 16gb.

ummm that 11900b price is for the 32gb 3g one.. same prices for the others 9900b for 32gb and 8900b for 16gb.

It doesn't appear that 7Shop has them in stock either.

It doesn't appear that 7Shop has them in stock either.

IF I READ it correctly you have to order between 10 and 12 each day.. one only per customer.

http://www.shopat7.com/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0-IT/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C/tablet/nexus-7-3g-32.html

Edited by thaicbr

I decided on what to get, the Asus Infinity tf700 32GB version. Very nice HD screen (1920x1200 16:10) exactly the same as my 24" Dell 16:10 monitor). Very fast and smooth. After charging and powering up it appeared to have ICS but it automatically started updating after I connected to the Wifi network. After done updating appeared to be JB, an older version. Went to setup and had it check for latest and it started a 2nd update. When done it had JB 4.1.1. One thing I read regarding complaints and that is JB forced the home screen to be portrait only and need to use an app/widget to correct that. Asus announced 4.1.2 would remove the portrait lock. However 4.1.1 I do not have locked orientation for home so quite happy about that.

2nd tablet I bought is for my wife's birthday in a couple of days. I decided on the Ainol NOVO10 Hero, 1st 10" from Ainol. I was surprised that the build quality is quite good and the 1280x800 IPS panel bright and great colors. Front and rear cameras also. Very speedy tablet with no hesitations flipping through photos or pinch zooming in/out. It came with JB 4.1.1 already on it, also Play Store that works correctly as the first thing I did to test it was to download MX Player. Has HDMI (supplied with cable), microSD, microUSB (no cable) separate charging port. I'm not sure if the display is glass or plastic yet though Ainol was asked that on their site and they indicated glass. But seems there were some small scratches on it. Will wait until my wife starts using it to check that out further.

So far they both look very good.

I bought it through Invadeit.com but if you can get it from a variety of online Chinese shops for less if you are brave. The Ainol Store shows it less then 6000 as a package XMAS special but delivery time, shipping etc. is uncertain.

Mine arrived today. Showed they were unable to deliver on 1st attempt. I called UPS in Khlongtoey. Got bounced around the system a bit, pressing 1 for this and 2 for that, before being cut off a couple of times. Eventually got thru, the guy asked the date when I was back and took my Thai mobile number to call me and they will call again on that date for delivery. I've a charge of THB 308 to pay. So far not too bad.

Well arrived in BKK last night. This morning I called UPS, they called me back and delivered around noon. Very surprised how easy this has been for ordering into Thailand. I was expecting hassle with customs. In the event just THB 301 to pay. Not quite sure where the number comes from, but seemed cheap to me :)

Anyway the 80G9 looks OK. Bit smaller than an Ipad, but still a reasonable size. Haven't had time to look properly as it's for the kids for Xmas so need to keep out of there way. Think they'll love it.

BTW Tesco had the Archos Arnova Childpad on offer today at THB 2,900-ish. For anyone like OP with young children that may be an option to keep them off yours :)

Merry Xmas to everyone :)

My boy decided he would like a tablet for Xmas yesterday so I have been researching them. He would like "an ipad please dad, or a Samsung". As he is only 7 I am against his plan. He will probably use it just for games and taking photos and vids. I want to go cheap as he will eventually (2 years?) want something better. Reading the posts on here it looks like I will go for the I-mobile i-note 2 9 inch for 5,000 baht, it seems to have everything I want apart from a good screen resolution. The Onda looks very good but I am in Roiet and don't have a lot of options I will probably be able to look in Tesco, and Macro. I don't fancy the mall as it is more like a market than a mall. Any further advice on a tab with higher resolution but keeping the things I have decided the tab needs would be appreciated. I have 1 day to shop so I cannot have anything delivered, but I will trawl through all shops in the area. I suppose what I am looking for is a similar spec the the Imobile but higher res. One question I have is this, does the imobile have full access to play store? I believe it does, but am not 100% (this is obviously important), though it does say so on the box I saw today