Sym / Keeway: Dorado 250Cc Cruiser

canuckamuck

I passed by the Keeway shop in Phuket, the other day. They have nice looking bikes, to a very 'friendly' price, never seen before (the bikes) , so I stopped. They were very friendly, even a little bit English available, and not pushing, only supportive being around, for answering questions, I would say.

So I checked a bit in general, about Keeway.

I think, I will stay away from it. 'cause all I could find about is that you get, what you paying for!

Also you will have to go back to the (here relatively new, I think) dealer for maintenance, cause no one knows anything about this chinese manufactured bikes. And if I look at the results in some Honda shops for the wave or the dream, or at the service for Kawasaki, I wouldn't hold my breath, with Keeway, in the closer future!

But the price is nice, it looks good. In case, you go for it: How about a general update, every now and then?

Edited by noob7

> I saw this bike yesterday at a Sym dealer and the logo Sym was clearly displayed on the tail, but can only find it as a Keeway on the internet.

Its a Keeway not a SYM. What do you mean with "Sym was clearly displayed on the tail"? I do not like how dealers/distributor like to declare Keeway bikes as SYM products. AFAIK they have nothing in common other than they have the same distributor in Thailand (M-BIKE).

We are already waiting a long time for reviews here. Noone seems to own it smile.png

The Keeway Dorado 250 is a very reliable cruisers, the bike is sold with 3-years warranty, the technology used is very basic and any motorcycle mechanic can work on it without the need to learn anything new. The 250cc V-twin is basically nothing more than a 125cc step-through with a carburetor, but with two cylinders.

For parts and accessories, the Thai Keeway distributor keeps stock in Thailand, for any aftermarket parts you would be pleased to know that the Keeway Dorado 250 V-twin engine is 100% identical to the Yamaha Virago 250 and any parts from the Yamaha fit on the Keeway and visa-versa (this also means that you can use Lifan engine parts).

Sym Motorcycle as motorcycle and scooter manufacturer has no business relation with Keeway, they share the same distributor in Thailand. But on most markets Keeway and Sym are fears competitors, especially in the scooter market, and likely soon in the big bike market as Sym has added Hyosung Motorcycles to the company.

I am not in Chiang Mai anymore so I cannot go back and take a pic. But if someone will go to the Sym dealer just before the Big C on the super highway (used to be Carefour) you will see three Durados, and none of them say Keeway on them. They are all labeled Sym. The have a Sym logo as part of the factory sticker detailing. They also have other Sym Bikes, such as the 400CC scooter which looks very nice, but 200k

Sorry I Can't prove it

It sure looked to me like Sym was selling the Durado

I am not in Chiang Mai anymore so I cannot go back and take a pic. But if someone will go to the Sym dealer just before the Big C on the super highway (used to be Carefour) you will see three Durados, and none of them say Keeway on them. They are all labeled Sym. The have a Sym logo as part of the factory sticker detailing. They also have other Sym Bikes, such as the 400CC scooter which looks very nice, but 200k

Sorry I Can't prove it

It sure looked to me like Sym was selling the Durado

I would really like to see this. They put SYM logos and stickers on a Keeway bike? There are no Keeway label/logo on the bike? No "Keeway" on the speedometer, on the engine, ...?

post-129800-0-20218200-1351603155_thumb.

post-129800-0-29243500-1351602971_thumb.

Edited by wantan

Caveat Emptor!!!

Although some people speak of these Keeway 2 wheeled vehicles with glowing terms it would pay to keep your wallet firmly in your pocket until you can personally speak to someone who has owned one for a considerable period of time. Not someone on this or other forums, but a real live Joe you happen across at a bike meet or in the parking lot.

Apparently this bike has all of 14N-M (10,3 lb-ft) at 9450 RPM. Ergo it has a whopping 18,5 HP at the same engine speed. For comparison, the Virago 250 has 15 lb-ft of torque..so not sure where the engines are identical comes from...

The Keeway engine is identical to the Yamaha XV250 because you can use engine parts like the cylinder, piston, ignition coil, CDI, gaskets, and all other engine parts...

As example take a look at one of the online shops who sell parts for the Yamaha Virago 250 XV250 http://www.scooterpartsexpress.com/standard-scooter-parts/250cc-v-twin-parts

What the performance specs, I doubt that the dyno test for the Yamaha and the Keeway where under the same conditions. According to normal mechanics if you build two engines and use for two engines the same parts with the same specifications you get very similar performance figures.

Caveat Emptor!!!

Although some people speak of these Keeway 2 wheeled vehicles with glowing terms it would pay to keep your wallet firmly in your pocket until you can personally speak to someone who has owned one for a considerable period of time. Not someone on this or other forums, but a real live Joe you happen across at a bike meet or in the parking lot.

I guess that is the reason why Keeway has roadshows throughout the country where you can actually test ride a Keeway and meet owners of Keeway motorcycles...

post-12170-0-11530500-1351640989_thumb.j

Caveat Emptor!!!

I guess that is the reason why Keeway has roadshows throughout the country where you can actually test ride a Keeway and meet owners of Keeway motorcycles...

Do you know if they will be coming to Pattaya anytime soon? No, I don't want to test one....I just want to see what sort of people own Keeways.

Do you know if they will be coming to Pattaya anytime soon? No, I don't want to test one....I just want to see what sort of people own Keeways.

For that sort of information you should contact the distributor... I have no idea if or when they will visit Pattaya...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Caveat Emptor!!!

Better stay away. I guess they do not like party pooper whistling.gif

Caveat Emptor!!!

Better stay away. I guess they do not like party pooper whistling.gif

555 Normally they have to wait till I get there to find that out!