How Long Do Swift Wires Normally Take?

I had someone wire around $3000 AUD to one of my regular thai baht savings accounts at bangkok bank. The sender inputted the request over the weekend via internet banking and it was sent out this morning from Australia (I don't know the name of the AUS bank).

I triple-checked the name, account #, swift code, and bank name that I gave the sender and they are correct. Previously I received a wire transfer from a broker in Australia within about 8-10 hours or so after they sent it that I remember. (I remember it being very fast). Another much more recent swift wire transfer I observed from USA to India took about 14 actual hours to be credited to the recipient bank. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Is there anything that could hold up the deposit of the funds? The only thing I can see on the bangkok bank website is something about the reason for transfer must be included on all transfers, regardless of the amount. Never worried about that before. But I was thinking it was either that, or the sender made a typo, which is unlikely.

Curious for some feedback or other tips, particularly what to ask the bank/sender for if I do end up having to research this.

Edited by 4evermaat

I'm surprised you're measuring this in hours. I wouldn't even begin to be concerned about the transfer until it hasn't shown up for two banking business days. That doesn't mean there won't be a problem with your wire, only that most probably, there isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Always allow for the time difference Oz/US/Europe but you should have funds same or next working day.

Don't know about Oz but UK banks only do international transfers during their working hours (all credit to BBL they operate 24/7 online).

Beware weekends, those banks just love to hold onto your money Friday - Monday.

Recent experiences.

SWIFT transfers.

Canada to Thailand 36 hours.

Australia to Thailand 2 hours.

HK to Thailand 2 hours.

Canada to UK -4 days

UK to Thailand 5 days

The UK and in particular Lloyd's TSB seem to be by far the worst and most expensive!

quick question to you all: do you notice that the hidden intermediary bank or institution will take off $1-10 dollars off of the transfer? Like the final transfer amount BKB received was $3,498 USD (not aud) and the original amount sent was $3,500.

I remember sending a wire transfer to india and someone skimmed $5 from the recipient. Who is the ghost skimmer?

Recent experiences.

SWIFT transfers.

Canada to Thailand 36 hours.

Australia to Thailand 2 hours.

HK to Thailand 2 hours.

Canada to UK -4 days

UK to Thailand 5 days

The UK and in particular Lloyd's TSB seem to be by far the worst and most expensive!

From Aussie to LOS, which bank was that? was there any special service requested? Many transfers to the same account or was that the first transfer? Trying to narrow down the posting time here.

If you transfer in USD, I will assume that the SWIFT goes via a bank in New York. Takes some time, and of course they take a fee.

If you transfer in AUD (from Australia that is), it should be faster.

Whether or not an intermediary bank is Involved (in any currency) depends on whether the remitting bank and the receiving bank have a cooperation agreement with each other. If not, the intermediary bank will of course deduct a fee.