Versys - First Impression

seedy

Selling the HD Dyna, so looking for a bike more suited to Northern Thailand riding. Rented a 2013 Versys with 1180 km on the clock.

First impressions - way lighter than the HD, about half the weight in fact. Making the brakes that much more effective. Driveline lash moderate. Seat buzzy at 120 kmh - a gel insert will cure that. Handgrips too hard - easy fix for that.

All in all - was pleasantly surprised. Doing the MHS - Doi Inthanon loop soon, will have a better feel for it then.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you rent from, MHS?

Are you buying the Versys in MHS?

Are you buying the standard bike or with touring accessories (bags etc...)

I am interetsed in the same bike and if all are available from MHS or KK it would suit me better

Thanks

I rented in Chiang Mai. If I decide to buy I will buy naked and modify to suit myself here.

They had one with skid plate, crash bars, aux lights, and aluminum box-style side panniers, but was half as much again as naked. Much better deals around than this.

Imagine all Kawa dealers in LOS will have similar prices.

You going for the Versys then, Seedy? How would you rate touring comfort compared to the HD? There is always a pro/anti -Jap/HD (take your sides) debate between the types and its interesting that you are considering changing in the direction of a Versys. You seem to clock up the miles so it would be good to know the pros and cons of each .

I got a Versys but have never ridden a HD . I am up in the mountains on small twisty roads a lot and my bike is fine for that, nice cool air up there at the moment,

Cheers,

PP

Been riding HD since 1974, so a bit of an adaptation needed. Living in Chiang Mai while in Thailand puts me smack dab in the middle of the greatest roads in Thailand.

The HD is great for touring on what we call in N America the SuperSlab - large three lane divided highways, where you just sit back and cruise.

Here, the MHS loop, Nan, Doi Mae Salong - I could go on and on - I find the Versys much more practical and enjoyable. Half the weight means twice the brakes, great mileage, much more 'flickable', and enough (did I just say enough ???) power.

I have done the MHS loop a few years ago on my Dyna, which is no fat bagger - 1600cc, HSR 42 Mikuni, ported and polished heads, 6-piston twin calipers front and a single 6 rear - but at twice the weight of the Versys it is much more work in the twisties. To change lines while leaned over in a corner is work not fun.

If I had a choice, I would keep the HD, but as 99% of my riding will be up here, I will most likely get a Versys.

Heading to Singapore again - maybe next year - and with the addition of a set of crash bars, making it possible to put some highway pegs on, and fixing the seat for more comfort for my a**, should be good to go.

This is my experience with it so far - yours may well be different.

I have heard not so good gas mileage

many cars bet better

If you ride a Versys like a grandmother, you'll get 22 km/l. If you ride a bit faster, around 16, 15 in the city. The latter is pretty bad but it's still good for a 300 km range.

To compare, the family Fortuner gets 10 km/l, or less. Depending on who's driving 555

Anybody ever tried riding on an Airhawk? They are expensive but I'm tempted to order one online to try if they work.

Wonderful all day comfort but adds an inch to seat height

Used an Airhawk on a HD Sportster for a Miami to LA road trip .... brilliant. Could ride all day without a sore ar*e. You can adjust it by letting some air out ... but yes, it will raise the seat height slightly - but that also helps prevent knee pain.

many cars bet better

if you are burning around with the tyres screeching it drinks like a fish but if we wanted

to save money on gas the new wave 110i is supposed to be very economical laugh.png

Actually the Honda Wave 125 is rated at 63 kpl and the 110 cc is lower at 60 kpl That said, my wife running 70 kph got 78 Cm to lampang on our Wave 125 i

• 4 weeks later...

I got between 3.75 - 4.6 L / 100km during my MHS loop. This on a bike with 1180 km showing from new.

I average bang on 23km/l but then I never go faster than 110km/Hr and rarely rev it over 5,000rpm.

I got between 3.75 - 4.6 L / 100km during my MHS loop. This on a bike with 1180 km showing from new.

I average bang on 23km/l but then I never go faster than 110km/Hr and rarely rev it over 5,000rpm.

What a waste of a good bike. Why didn't you just get a wave or something?

I ride my Ninja650 in the city every day, and it's just as nimble as my Yamaha Mio but has much better stopping power should someone pull out in front of me,

I tend to use my Ninja650 alot more than i intended for that sole purpose alone.

The Versys has slightly wider bars and a friend following me from Suvarnabhumi to Paddock and AP Racing was keeping up with me when filtering through traffic.

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

Anyone else ride the Versys a lot in the city? Seems to do quite well in this video.

i use mine a lot in the city and not many complaints ,its an easy bike to flick from side to side

and the height of it means great visibility and also your mirrors and handlebars are higher than most car mirrors

so its great for filtering

when traffic is ultra tight like around silom ,pratuman or chimatown ,a yamaha elegance is still slightly faster

and more manoeuverable so i just use that in any situations when the roads are jam packed and i still need to get somewhere

Anyone else ride the Versys a lot in the city? Seems to do quite well in this video.

i use mine a lot in the city and not many complaints ,its an easy bike to flick from side to side

and the height of it means great visibility and also your mirrors and handlebars are higher than most car mirrors

when traffic is ultra tight like around silom ,pratuman or chimatown ,a yamaha elegance is still slightly faster

and more manoeuverable so i just use that in any situations when the roads are jam packed and i still need to get somewhere

I'm about 6' tall. Do you think I'll be able to get both feet completely down when stopped? Picking it up tomorrow, but never actually sat on one. Thanks.

I'm about 6' tall. Do you think I'll be able to get both feet completely down when stopped? Picking it up tomorrow, but never actually sat on one. Thanks.

I was just looking at two of them today while getting some tires at Kawasaki

My guess is at 6' tall you will have no problems putting both feet flat on the ground at stops.

While it seems a little taller than the er6 it is not extreme dirt bike like tall.

Edited by mania

wear a pair of workboots ,riding in flip flops is not a good idea esp on a new bike

im about 6' and i can just about put my feet down on both sides but i have a custom seat made

so mine might be a little higher

if you can sit on a 250klx or crf dirtbike it should be fine ,its just a bit heavier but once its moving you

wont notice that and it sinks down nearly an inch when you sit on it

the rear suspension is also easily adjustable so if you lower it to setting 1 at the back it will lower the seat

a bit at the expense of firmness (riders weight depending )

Picked it up today. What a great bike. Very easy to balance and ride. Probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It does get a bit buzzy when you get close to 100, but other than that I am very happy.

How did the saddle height work out for you?

Congrats on the new ride