Current Baht Bus Songtaow Prices

gk10002000

On the rare occasions I go to Jomtien I always pay 20baht. It seems a long way to go for only 10baht. Maybe i will try to pay 10 baht next time i go down to immigration and see if i get any reaction from the driver.

If you are talking about a Jomtien bus from the QUEUE at South Pattaya Road, the fare is DEFINITELY 10 baht! No controversy at all. I realize there are a lot of GUILT based over-payers. Up to you. There is no way you will get any reaction getting off at Soi 5 Jomtien. Issues start much later down Jomtien Beach road when the bus gets emptier, often the driver will stop, and start playing games with asking where the remaining people are going, then the fare goes up and sometime to TAXI charter levels.

Yep, I've boarded at the que JJ mentioned, rode to Jomtien Soi 5 -or farther- and as of this writing I have never experienced a reaction from a driver.

It is 10 baht everywhere in Pattaya, including Pattaya - Jomtien. But you need to have exact change ready, the drivers don't give change to foreigners. And of equal importance- hand him the money and walk away; don't stand there looking like a fool, waiting for him to approve what you have given him. There is no reason to fear any sort of retribution or retaliation. If you want a little bit of protection, ride a few steps past your destination, then walk back. In heavy traffic areas, this prevents him from backing up to talk to you.

If you don't have the 10 baht, keep your arm in the window until you receive your change, though this only works if the window is open enough to get your arm in in the first place.

You will mean, if the window is open enought to get your arm back before the driver takes off. biggrin.png

A further pointer if I may:

When you and a farang stranger get off the songthaew together, pause for a moment while he gets out his money to pay. If he has a 20 baht note, hand your 10 baht coin to him, and let him pay the driver for both of you.

When you and a farang stranger get off the songthaew together, pause for a moment while he gets out his money to pay. If he has a 20 baht note, hand your 10 baht coin to him, and let him pay the driver for both of you.

I've done this with Thais and Thais have done this with me. The driver usually smiles his thanks.

I've done this with Thais and Thais have done this with me. The driver usually smiles his thanks.

That's sweet. I must admit pretty much the last thing I would care about in the entire universe is whether baht bus drivers smile at me, or not. On the other hand, I really do make an effort to avoid having them SCREAM at me! Edited by Jingthing

It's 20 baht from the bus station on Pattaya Nua to Beach Road.

Only if you pay double.

That trip is 10B, just like the full length of Thepprasit or of Klang or of Tai, or Pattaya to Naklua or Pattaya to Jomtien etc etc

Basic fare is 10B unless you go a very long way.

No, it's a fixed fare if you take the songtaew inside the bus station, and is clearly displayed before you get on the vehicle.. Everyone pays 20 baht for this trip and the fare is normally collected while you're waiting for the songtaew to leave.

That's sweet. I must admit pretty much the last thing I would care about in the entire universe is whether baht bus drivers smile at me, or not. On the other hand, I really do make an effort to avoid having them SCREAM at me!

Believe me, I was shocked a couple of times to see a driver smile.

It is with great relief, I have left behind the baht bus hell after four months of denying I need a motorcycle. Going from Pattaya to Jomtien took 3 buses there and 2 back, plus 40-45 minutes of bone jarring, herky-jerky driving. The GF lives there. Now it's 15-20 minutes and I don't have to share my trip with the friendly Russians.

Exactly. Haven't used them for 10 years. Uncomfortable, unsafe, unreliable. A scooter of your own is the better solution.

Great. Next time there's a thread about the cost of petrol for bikes, we'll be sure to post about what an AWFUL choice of transport that is.coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

The GF lives there. Now it's 15-20 minutes and I don't have to share my trip with the friendly Russians.

Which reminds me!

Have y'all noticed that the aggressive Thai (and arguably armed at least with tasers) "minders" at the Jomtien bound baht bus queue at South Pattaya road now all speak a spot of Russkie and seem to have long forgotten their splattering of Angrit? (Did they attend a course?) OK, it's limited to:

DAVAI!

DAVAI!

DA DA!

DA DA!

DA DA!

In honor of this linguistic evolution, I hereby semi-official officially propose a new moniker for that infamous queue:

The Dada

post-37101-0-75191500-1356105833_thumb.jpost-37101-0-73471300-1356105847_thumb.j

(It's surreal!)

Edited by Jingthing

Exactly. Haven't used them for 10 years. Uncomfortable, unsafe, unreliable. A scooter of your own is the better solution.

Never thought I would read a post suggesting that a scooter is anything other than the most unsafe vehicle imaginable.

Not very comfortable either, and not very reliable judging by the number of them one sees in repair shops around town. And these days there always seems to be a policeman on every corner just waiting to stop them and fine the driver.

None of that ever happens on a bahtbus.

Great. Next time there's a thread about the cost of petrol for bikes, we'll be sure to post about what an AWFUL choice of transport that is.coffee1.gif

Are you serious or just delusional?

I totally agree with Potosi, haven’t used a Songthaew for more than a few rides in the last 10-12 years, but am so happy to scooter around town at my own pace wherever I want to go.

If you think that the 10 baht ride would be cheaper than petrol cost for a scooter, you are definitely out of touch with reality

Scooter maybe cheaper and definitely more convenient than using a baht bus but the safety factor alone makes in a no goer for me.

It takes a little longer to get anywhere but I am in no hurry as I am not working anyway and you get to walk a lot more which surely has to be a good thing.

I don't think one can argue that one mode of Pattaya transportation is safer than another.

In my first five months here, I've been involved in two minor baht bus accidents; as a pedestrian, I've been clipped by car and motorcycle mirrors and made to come to a sudden standstill by vehicles cutting me off by mere centimetres; as a motorcycle rider I've been passed on the inside into a turn at high speed and cut off at high speed by cars and bikes passing me and turning in front of me from two lanes out; and thrown around inside intercity buses.

These are "just normal" things in Pattaya.

Anyway you look at it, it's <deleted> dangerous in Pattaya.

I don't think one can argue that one mode of Pattaya transportation is safer than another.

In my first five months here, I've been involved in two minor baht bus accidents; as a pedestrian, I've been clipped by car and motorcycle mirrors and made to come to a sudden standstill by vehicles cutting me off by mere centimetres; as a motorcycle rider I've been passed on the inside into a turn at high speed and cut off at high speed by cars and bikes passing me and turning in front of me from two lanes out; and thrown around inside intercity buses.

These are "just normal" things in Pattaya.

Anyway you look at it, it's <deleted> dangerous in Pattaya.

You must be very unlucky.

I have ridden the buses for years and never been in an accident.

I have walked miles and miles around Pattaya and never been hit.

That is not to say it is not dangerous crossing the road but it is definitely more dangerous riding a motorcycle in Pattaya.

It's 20 baht from the bus station on Pattaya Nua to Beach Road.

It is 10B if you cross the road and catch one there, it is sometimes hard to get them to stop but they will charge the correct fare.

To be honest, I'm not fussed about paying the 20 baht, especially if I have bags.