Abnormal Number Of Flat Tires On My Honda Dream

connda

I drive a Honda Dream and I seem to have had an abnormal amount of flat tires since I bought the bike. I have almost 25K on the bike and I'm averaging one flat every 3000 km. About half of my driving is on Highway 11 between Chiang Mai and Lamphun province, where my cruising speed is between 65 to 80 km/hr. The bike will actually cruise very well between 80 and 90 km/hr, but the tire (flats) issue makes me cautious. I've noticed that the back tire get pretty hot during highway driving. It makes me paranoid enough that I don't let my wife ride with me anymore on the highway.

Anyway, does anyone have any tire recommendation for a more dependable tire for a Honda Dream. I'm riding on stock tires from Honda (replaced the originals a while back, but with the same stock tire). And I never repaired a damage inner tube if I can get it replaced with a new one.

But I'm thinking I need to go with something much different than the stock Honda tires. Suggestions appreciated!

Edited by connda

What caused all the punctures?

Various things. I've seen punctures with metal, glass, and rips in the inner tube. I'm pretty complusive about checking air pressure prior driving on the highway, and do my best to avoid the obvious debris in the road. So I'm down to looking for sturdier tires. I've had more than one flat right after crossing the berm from the road to the shoulder, and that generally results in a inner tube rip. But it's not from under inflated tires. Like I said, I'm compulsive about air pressure now.

Edited by connda

It's not new tyres you need, it's wheels. It's probably the spokes sticking into your inner tube. It used to happen to me a lot too. I changed my wheels about 2 years ago, and haven't had a puncture since. A new set of wheels should be less than a thousand baht at Honda.

Edited by macknife
  • Like 1

1. check the spokes if they are loose
  2. buy IRC tires, much more sturdy, than the usual 350 Baht crap tires
  3. use two "spoke protection tapes"
  4. cut out the Valve from an old inner tube, cut the old tube lenghtwise and put it inside the new tyre, so it acts like a "condom" over your inner tube.

Visually inspect the threaded portion of the spoke once the protective band has been removed. If any look like they are sharp, rub gently with your finger....you will soon know. If you know how to use a file.....file em down.

Once finished use Nitto PVC tape to cover the nipples, wrap it round 2 or 3 times. It won't move around like the protective band.

• Like 1