Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokie - Cessna Bird Dog eh ?

Its a Cessna.....more details tho please.

post-78923-13720857998832_thumb.jpg

Here is a Cessna Sky master 336 or 337

Here is a Cessna Bird Dog which I think it is. This link indicates it is called a L-19 ??

Its a U.17

Are you 100% sure Smokie?

this one looks armed. maybe VNAF did equip them with light attack?

I thought I read somewhere that the fee was going to be increased from $30? or is it still $30 when you pre-purchase the lounge access?

Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge at the Satellite Terminal in KUL roughly costs $AUD30, I don't believe you can pre-pay this before hand - I think you were implying that it was a Virgin Australia Lounge somewhere in the land down under? - apparently this is a new "initiave" and is open to any Tom, Richard or Somchai - which was what I was eluding to my initial post when I mentioned (usual) tranquility, when I took that photo at the end of the lounge were 8 farang of various dominion sitting accross from each other (approximately 5 metres between them) carrying on a conversation that could be heard from where I was taking the photo from - give or take 75m or so.

It's one of the best lounges I've had the pleasure of entering, and I could easily spend 12hrs in this lounge as opposed to the 12 I spent in the Koru Club Lounge (Air New Zealand) in Brisbane back in January due to the inbound Thai Airways flight getting lost en-route.

So there you go David48, you don't need to be a frequent flyer like our esteemed board member RabC, you can simply part with $AUD30 (or if you've got status with an airline that partners with Malayasia Airlines or flying premium classes with Malaysia Airlines) of your own hard earned and have yourself an all you can drink buffet of beer (Tiger, Guiness, Carlsberg or Asahi), wine or spirits. An you can eat buffet of various dishes (the won ton soup is cooked to order and bloody good) and an all you can eat Haagen Daaz ice cream buffet as well (Dark Chocolate, Green Tea and Vanilla Macadamia).

They don't call me SinglePot for nothing!

Talking of airport lounges... A little story..... I'm in the smoking room at Beijing Capital. Early morning. I'm the only one in there. Loads of room.

2 Chinese guys come in and literally sit on top of me. Worse still, they start talking to each other.

The conversation sounded like an argument (which it wasn't), and louder than a 747.

They are sitting next to each other!

good morning VietNam.

Yeah, i will happily pay that Smokie. They did use them in armed, I forgot about that. I see un-comfirmed comments on the net that a U-17 = C 185E.

I would have thought that they were C180'd not the legendary C185 but I don't really know.

The C180 & C185 are brutally twitchy tail dragers to fly. Many moons ago I did about 500hrs on a C185, I loved the manual leaver flaps, directly connected to your hand, it was the best STOL machine Cessna ever produced I think. One of those that you felt it was an extension of you, compared to a gutless pig like C206 or 172.

Yeah, i will happily pay that Smokie. They did use them in armed, I forgot about that. I see un-comfirmed comments on the net that a U-17 = C 185E.

I would have thought that they were C180'd not the legendary C185 but I don't really know.

The C180 & C185 are brutally twitchy tail dragers to fly. Many moons ago I did about 500hrs on a C185, I loved the manual leaver flaps, directly connected to your hand, it was the best STOL machine Cessna ever produced I think. One of those that you felt it was an extension of you, compared to a gutless pig like C206 or 172.

I bow to your superior hands on experience CLB.

Info I have is the U17 used by the VNAF ( South Viet Air Force) was a military variant of the C185 which as you will know was the later and more powerful version of the C180.

Any assistance on Smokie's latest appreciated. I think it might be captured or retrieved aircraft from North Vietnam.

Smokie, no idea. Guessing only.

Where are its intakes? The angle of the pic could easily be hiding them next to the fuselage, or is it a Russian one with the intake under its belly like the modern-ish Migs?

post-78923-13728446850453_thumb.jpg

Is it USA:

F5 Tiger

or unlikely

F20

(If you want to enlarge it, go a few post back up)

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Yeah, if it is western, I am going for the F5, but who knows what it is as many ideas were 99% copied.

I agree. F5

Colours suggest US.

Yup its an F-5A. Well done everyone. :clap2:

OK the next one coming up very soon....

thanks smokie. I pressed post before I saw your answer. Internet flaky here today.