The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

"I also think a place that does a limited menu really well at good prices is doing the most honest thing business wise and stands a fair chance of success from doing that. "

Agreed... now, if we could only find a few more 'round here.

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

Just Burgers being a good example(though I never found their burgers to be THAT good). I think they even opened a second branch in Na Jomtien.

Hit & Run News Flash:

Tonight, for the first time, we tried ordering from Food Panda and guess what happened? They accepted our order and then called back to tell us that Carl's Jr. restaurant is now closed.

That burns...best (and cheapest) milkshakes in town.

..... that Carl's Jr. restaurant is now closed.

Did they occupy the unit in Central now taken by Hippopotamus (a French chain)? Those front corner units in Central have the kiss of death about them. Hippopotamus is always empty as are nearly all the other places on those two corners. The seafood buffet place opposite All Seasons has also recently closed (a shame as it was quite good), as did some other fast food chain on the other corner. The Food Loft always seems as quiet as the grave too.

Edited by KittenKong

..... that Carl's Jr. restaurant is now closed.

Did they occupy the unit in Central now taken by Hippopotamus (a French chain)? Those front corner units in Central have the kiss of death about them. Hippopotamus is always empty as are nearly all the other places on those two corners. The seafood buffet place opposite All Seasons has also recently closed (a shame as it was quite good), as did some other fast food chain on the other corner. The Food Loft always seems as quiet as the grave too.

Doesn't matter...Food Loft is Centrals own brand so no rent.

Doesn't matter...Food Loft is Centrals own brand so no rent.

Food Loft apparently works on the classic food court principle. The total bill for all outlets is paid via one card as you leave the area and the court operator (Central) skims off some commission before passing the rest back to the individual outlets, according to what you actually ordered. There may be some element of fixed rent too, or not.

This is the same principle that is used in supermarket food courts like BigC and Tesco, and indeed in the basement of Central.

Did someone mention the Nong Bistro in Soi Siam Country Club already?

Just finishing off my dinner with an Irish coffee.

I had the homemade ravioli in Gorgonzola cream sauce and Mrs raro a clear oxtail soup. Both were fantastic.

Belgium owner, the chef used to work at mata hari before.

Top recommdation.

The menu also features specialties like escargots, frog legs and other food items you hardly find anywhere else.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the homemade ravioli in Gorgonzola cream sauce and Mrs raro a clear oxtail soup. Both were fantastic.

Top recommdation.

The menu also features specialties like escargots, frog legs and other food items you hardly find anywhere else.

Seen it many times but never stopped. Will have to pop in as the genetic history sounds very promising. Kinda wonder why he opened up a smallish place so far outside town with that pedigree?

It's just down, or up, the road from Bunny Restaurant, with has had somewhat negative reviews. Maybe Jingy will hop a baht bus to the Darkside to check it out!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

This place is certainly worth the trip. Funny it is, I was on the outlook for bunny's as I wanted to check it out. Must have passed it and saw Nong's Bistro and decided to stop.

The place is not exactly cheap and I was rather prepared for a cheap f&c or something like that, but overwhelmed by the menu choices. The execution was something to write home about.

Will certainly be back.

• Thanks 1

OK I did try the new British Chinese joint. No comment that I could make here.

NEWS FLASH grand opening major new restaurant tomorrow

PRIMOS

accross from Royal Garden Mall.

Trendy modern place.

Interesting ambitious but not overly large choice menu.

Was told by staff the food was Euro / Slovenian.

Moderate prices. Some really different dishes. Not the same old same old.

From signage outside you would think Italian or Greek.

Wish them success.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This restaurant appears to be closed.

Not 100 percent sure yet, but it appears that way. Has been dark awhile.

Hit & Run News Flash:

Tonight, for the first time, we tried ordering from Food Panda and guess what happened? They accepted our order and then called back to tell us that Carl's Jr. restaurant is now closed.

Well wherever their ex-employees move to I hope they show considerably more enthusiasm and courtesy in their next job than they did at Carls

Top recommdation.

Been in this place twice as it's close to where I live. I agree that the food is very good, but as you say it isn't cheap, also there is no air-con in there. The second time I had to wait a long time for the food to come out and when it did it included an erronious dish. So there we were sweating whilst we waited and some of it was erronious and then comes the rather expensive bill, I won't be going back.

On my first visit I was talking to a Thai lady, nice woman, I was under the distinct impression that she was the owner, but maybe not.

• Thanks 1

The TAIWAN RESTAURANT previously reported on is now officially a thing.

Business is buzzing there, they have expanded their menu significantly, the food is tasty/interesting/different, and the prices are certainly right.

No, it's not the gourmet experience of your life awaiting, but let's get real.

Suggest multiple dishes if you're hungry and wish some variety ... so expect to spend about 150 baht person.

Or you could do one dish for a light meal (there is also a noodle soup dish) and spend about 60 baht.

The menu though expanded doesn't mean they actually have everything shown on the menu. As they don't. But hopefully that will improve.

Tried the pork belly rice plate ... the sweet and sour tofu ... and the Chinese style Morning Glory

All very pleasant, mostly fat in the pork belly but that's authentic, the sweet and sour tofu was different than a Western Chinese or Thai Chinese sweet and sour experience very tomato intense I liked it a lot, the stir fried veg clean flavors good deal at 40 baht.

Taiwan Restaurant

2nd road

South Pattaya

Across from Mike Hotel (NOT Mike Shopping Mall)

The way it's going, I think this place being small, good food, good prices, it might start to be a problem to get a TABLE there.

Folks, we've got a WINNER. clap2.gif

How I wish there were MORE restaurants with the intelligent approach of this place! Limited menu, doing what they do well, not pretending to do everything in the world (you will not find BORSCHT on their menu), attractive prices, not wasting money on fancy decor so you don't have to pay for that either ...

Edited by Jingthing

Hit & Run News Flash:

Well wherever their ex-employees move to I hope they show considerably more enthusiasm and courtesy in their next job than they did at Carls

Hope this news doesn't devastate all the Carl's Jr naysers but the restaurant is open and at its previous location. The closure was temporary either by the restaurant itself or by the mall owners to do some reconstruction work. Now everyone can enjoy their western bacon cheeseburger, curly fries, and unlimited soda bar.

Internal mall off 2nd Road (north of Big C) KOREAN RESTAURANT row

I've mentioned some of these places before, but here is a limited review and update, of sorts.

To locate this interesting place, view this map for the Pattaya location:

http://www.thebibimbab.com/?pages=contact

There is a BURGER KING (not Korean) at the north corner of this internal mall.

Walking INTO the mall, on the LEFT you will first find a

1. Korean BBQ restaurant.

They specialize in lower priced SETS for BBQ at your table experience.

Korean style, not Thai style.

I have tried before just a Korean soup/stew and it was OK, good price, but was NOT impressed with the banchan (too limited), so have not been back.

Further INTO the mall on the LEFT, you will find a restaurant called something like KOREAN SASHIMI.

Clearly, they sell Korean sashimi.

My feeling was that this place is catering to Koreans and might be difficult for non-Koreans to navigate it, but that's just a feeling I got. I haven't even looked at the menu, assuming there is an English one.

STARTING AGAIN ... entering the mall on the RIGHT HAND side (where the Burger King is).

First you will see the Thailand chain restaurant THE BIBIMBAB.

They also have a BBQ restaurant on the 2nd floor.

This is a major place, large location.

I ate there once and found the food to not be "Korean enough" for my more sophisticated "really like real Korean food" palate.

They are clearly trying to do Korean food for the Thai mass market. Not my scene.

This reviewer agrees about a Bangkok location:

http://tastythailand.com/the-bibimbab-in-bangkok-thailand-tasteless-and-disappointing/

Going much further into the mall, on the RIGHT HAND side, roughly across the way from the Korean Sashimi place, is the main reason I am posting this today.

The small operation is merely called KOREAN RESTAURANT (obviously something else in Korean, but who knows).

As they have BBQ tables clearly they must have a BBQ menu, but I didn't see it.

The menu posted outside is a small one and concentrates on soup/stews/one bibimbap choice.

Very reasonable prices ... pretty standard for Pattaya, happily.

Bottom line ... I do like this restaurant.

I ordered one of the two choices of Soft Tofu Spicy Soup Stew. 220 baht. Order very spicy.

The soup stew was hot pepper spicy but not enough Korean pepper paste in it for me, but still good. The raw egg was prepared before the table (not my preference). The tofu was great and the expected small amount of seafood in it was served not in shell.

So no that part was not stellar, though acceptable.

What was better than average for Pattaya was the BANCHAN.

Spicy, tasty, and good variety. Only one sweeter one (lotus) and none of that mayonnaise crap or hot dogs.

Also, quite remarkably was a VERY GENEROUS portion of grilled fish (saba I would guess) ... cooked perfectly ... so tasty ... so satisfying.

The side rice was the purple kind with a few beans ... my preference over white.

Now there are better Korean places on THIRD ROAD ... this location is very mass tourist and baht bus friendly and I will definitely be back!

Even though the actual main dish, the soup/stew wasn't quite up to my hopes, OVERALL when you factor in the great banchan and fish portion, this place really is a SUPER VALUE for a Korean food fix!

Also note FREE WATER is offered without even asking ... this is standard in most local Korean restaurants.

If you like spice, be warned, be FIRM about it or this seems to be a place that will give you bland based on not being Korean (if you're not Korean).

Update on this place.

If you like Korean food, you really SHOULD check this place out.

Tonight I had their bibimbap.

It was dolsot style in a stone bowl.

The 200 baht included:

The bibimbap

EXCELLENT banchan (even better than last time)

They had these fritter things this time, lovely

Also with the main course came an amazingly delicious and VERY SPICY soup.

The spice in the soup surprised me after the last visit where I was unable to communicate my spice preference.

I didn't even mention it this time.

Also included ... the same FISH as with the soup meal last time.

That's really special ... fish served with bibimbap

Free water.

Watermelon dessert

Only negative ... their bibimbap had no beef, but I was OK with that because of the side fish.

Overall, this place really delivers delicious Korean food at a fantastic value.

Picture menu if you don't know the food.

This place is a Jingthing Thumbs Up! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to recommend Supnay Northern Lanna Cuisine, a new restaurant on Pattaya 3rd Road, a short walk north of Pattaya Tai Road, on the East side, 100 meters south of 3rd Road's soi 22. It's open-air, small with only ten tables, and a small menu. I like small menus, as that shows they do only what they can do well. Supnay is open from 1130 to 2300 every day. It's owned by a Nepalese man and his Thai wife from Lampang, who does the cooking, both nice friendly people; the husband speaks good English. They opened in January 2014.

The menu leads off with khao soy; chicken 55 baht, beef 60. Next up is kaeng hanglay; pork 60, beef 70. Third on the menu is khanom jin nam ngiao, a pork dish 45 baht. In five visits so far, I've tried, and recommend, all of these. Fourth on the menu is nam phrik aong, 80 baht. Not yet tried by me, as I liked the first three enough to eat them again. There are also grilled meatballs, 4 per skewer, beef or pork, 15 baht, served with spicy sauce and cucumber slices. A bottle of water 10 baht, tea 25, beer (large only) 70-100. Smoothies of several varieties 70 baht; I've only tried the coconut smoothie so far, as I liked it too much to order a different kind.

This is my kind of mom 'n' pop restaurant, a lovely alternative to the corporate chains. Sure hope it survives, despite a location that the likes of McDonalds clown food restaurants would never consider.

Very disappointed to discover today that no they didn't survive. They have gonesad.png

On the Dark Side, about 300 m before the Crocodile Farm (coming from Chayapoon Witthi) is a relatively new Bavarian bistro, bakery and smokery. Homemade smoked hams, meatloaves, bread. They also have a menu with all sorts of German/Bavarian food and excellent pizza. Best thing about the place are the prices, though, very affordable and decent food.

Breakfast is a 12" wooden platter loaded with cold cuts, two breadrolls, sliced bread, a large fresh coffee and an orange juice at just 135 baht.

• Like 1

I'd like to recommend Supnay Northern Lanna Cuisine, a new restaurant on Pattaya 3rd Road, a short walk north of Pattaya Tai Road, on the East side, 100 meters south of 3rd Road's soi 22. It's open-air, small with only ten tables, and a small menu. I like small menus, as that shows they do only what they can do well. Supnay is open from 1130 to 2300 every day. It's owned by a Nepalese man and his Thai wife from Lampang, who does the cooking, both nice friendly people; the husband speaks good English. They opened in January 2014.

The menu leads off with khao soy; chicken 55 baht, beef 60. Next up is kaeng hanglay; pork 60, beef 70. Third on the menu is khanom jin nam ngiao, a pork dish 45 baht. In five visits so far, I've tried, and recommend, all of these. Fourth on the menu is nam phrik aong, 80 baht. Not yet tried by me, as I liked the first three enough to eat them again. There are also grilled meatballs, 4 per skewer, beef or pork, 15 baht, served with spicy sauce and cucumber slices. A bottle of water 10 baht, tea 25, beer (large only) 70-100. Smoothies of several varieties 70 baht; I've only tried the coconut smoothie so far, as I liked it too much to order a different kind.

This is my kind of mom 'n' pop restaurant, a lovely alternative to the corporate chains. Sure hope it survives, despite a location that the likes of McDonalds clown food restaurants would never consider.

Very disappointed to discover today that no they didn't survive. They have gonesad.png

Oh, that is very sad!

The location was likely the biggest problem.

Oh, that is very sad!

The location was likely the biggest problem.

Yes indeed. I was there about six weeks ago and then he expressed his concern about lack of customers. He said he was thinking of actually relocating out of Thailand to another country because he couldn't see any improvement in the short to medium term! Because undoubtedly he had great food and he thought could take that concept may be to Europe.

I have been up in northern Thailand for a few weeks and just recently returned so I was completely shocked to find out today he had already evidently made the decision and moved out already.

Another lesson of restaurants in Pattaya ... if you like it, go there NOW!

Yes indeed. I've lost track of the number of good places or good menu items here that just vanished after a few weeks or months, or suffered a price revamp turning them from good value to very overpriced.

• Like 1

Another lesson of restaurants in Pattaya ... if you like it, go there NOW!

Yes indeed. I've lost track of the number of good places or good menu items here that just vanished after a few weeks or months, or suffered a price revamp turning them from good value to very overpriced.

I hate to beat a dead horse but this is why rent controls of a certain kind may be good. You don't get rich Chinese-Thai landlords who don't even live in the community jacking up the rent every time they think someone is making a profit.

Why is it good and cheap restaurants - Thai or Western - seem not to have this problem in Chiang Mai?

Could it be that the landlords there actually live there and enjoy the community?

Edited by BugJackBaron

Was fantastic when first opened.

But then as so many do, standards slipped, opening hours became erratic, and then closure.

Sad.

Yes indeed. I was there about six weeks ago and then he expressed his concern about lack of customers. He said he was thinking of actually relocating out of Thailand to another country because he couldn't see any improvement in the short to medium term! Because undoubtedly he had great food and he thought could take that concept may be to Europe.

I have been up in northern Thailand for a few weeks and just recently returned so I was completely shocked to find out today he had already evidently made the decision and moved out already.

Interesting that you should say that. On my few visits there, which I enjoyed greatly, as the food was very good, but I could not understand the business model.

Two things intrigued me. One was the fact they only opened at 11.30am and could be a little tardy about this. So they were missing out on the early morning trade and also possibly the lunch time trade ---- this is 60% of the business thrown away.

The second was the pricing structure may have been a shade too high for many Lanna people. They know where to go to get Khao Soi for 40 baht, so why charge 55 baht.

Anyway, good luck to the young couple. Their food was great. Hope they get the right business plan sorted out next time

Was fantastic when first opened.

But then as so many do, standards slipped, opening hours became erratic, and then closure.

Sad.

huh ?

I had many meals there and I never saw anything like that?

Interesting that you should say that. On my few visits there, which I enjoyed greatly, as the food was very good, but I could not understand the business model.

Two things intrigued me. One was the fact they only opened at 11.30am and could be a little tardy about this. So they were missing out on the early morning trade and also possibly the lunch time trade ---- this is 60% of the business thrown away.

The second was the pricing structure may have been a shade too high for many Lanna people. They know where to go to get Khao Soi for 40 baht, so why charge 55 baht.

Anyway, good luck to the young couple. Their food was great. Hope they get the right business plan sorted out next time

They gave 5 pieces of chicken in every serving of Khao Soi. you cant do that for 40 baht ?

Even one of the best Khao Soi restaurants in Chiang Mai charges 40 baht but you only get one small chicken piece.

I considered the standard of the food and pricing was excellent and good value

• Like 1