The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Prices are high for local Thai.

High ? ...... I thought they were extortionate !

Doomed to fail IMO.

We'll see what will happen during the low season . Only foreign tourists and maybe a few expats will find this place interesting.

Instead I went to Sizzler's next door for the excellent salad buffet 199 baht . Now that's value for money .

• Like 2

Doomed?

I checked the website.

I don't think the rent is stressing him out.

We are talking about Bill Heineke here. American kid, went to Bangkok International School.

Net Worth $1.4 Billion.

At 17, he founded the Inter-Asian Publicity, a radio advertising company, using US$1,200 he had borrowed and turned it into one of the largest hospitality and leisure companies in the world.

Now he owns 140 hotels, 1,800 restaurants and 307 retail outlets in 32 countries.

Edited by CousinEddie
  • Like 1

The best noodle soup restaurant I've found in Pattaya is called Maephongsri (sign in Thai only) and is located on Sukhumvit 42/1, next to the Aroy Italy shop. That's on the "bright" side of the Sukhumvit, a couple of hundred meters before Pattaya Klang when heading north. I think it closes at 4 PM. Really good noodle soup for about 50 Baht - way better than the stuff you get in the ubiquitous road side noodle shop stalls.

It's been added to Pattaya Restaurant Map.

True, this place has excellent noodle soup. Just finished a few bowls sampling the styles. Pretty famous place too featured on tv ch. 3 etc. over the years

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

This is a famous place for no reason, just like Thai like to follow the stupid crowd.

The fish noodles on the same side before macdonald, where is a 9 sign, are a lot better and open until midnight everyday.

The best noodle soup restaurant I've found in Pattaya is called Maephongsri (sign in Thai only) and is located on Sukhumvit 42/1, next to the Aroy Italy shop. That's on the "bright" side of the Sukhumvit, a couple of hundred meters before Pattaya Klang when heading north. I think it closes at 4 PM. Really good noodle soup for about 50 Baht - way better than the stuff you get in the ubiquitous road side noodle shop stalls.

True, this place has excellent noodle soup. Just finished a few bowls sampling the styles. Pretty famous place too featured on tv ch. 3 etc. over the years

This is a famous place for no reason, just like Thai like to follow the stupid crowd.

The fish noodles on the same side before macdonald, where is a 9 sign, are a lot better and open until midnight everyday.

They have very good noodle soup, end of story.

Maybe the princely price of 50 Baht is what puts a foul tast in your mouth?

• Like 1

If I may add a recommendation for a small Thai eatery in central Pattaya. 'Noi Reastaurant' is located on the right side of Soi Honey as you head up toward Soi Buakhow from 2nd road, about a third of the way up the soi, opposite the small car parking lot between the Intown Hotel and Honey Massage. Nothing fancy, but surely a relaxed place. About five tables, some out, some in, all open air.

it's open I believe from about 9:00 AM till about 7:30-ish for last orders. I'm surprised this place doesn't have more regular customers, given the location, foot, traffic, quality of what it offers, good value, etc. Thought I'd mention it here, see if it will help get a few folks to give it a try.

It offers Thai dishes, the basics, but still a fairly extensive menu for that. I find the dishes tasty, the ingredients fresh, the food is prepared quick enough, the drinks and beer are cheap (smalls, 50-60B), and prices of the dishes are quite reasonable,either the 'one-plate with rice dishes', or the standalone dishes, especially for the area. Very nice. It's operated by a couple of sisters; one cooks, the other serves. The type of place of which there used to be many but are disappearing, the type you hope can stick around.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It offers Thai dishes, the basics, but still a fairly extensive menu for that. I find the dishes tasty, the ingredients fresh, the food is prepared quick enough, the drinks and beer are cheap (smalls, 50-60B), and prices of the dishes are quite reasonable,either the 'one-plate with rice dishes', or the standalone dishes, especially for the area. Very nice. It's operated by a couple of sisters; one cooks, the other serves. The type of place of which there used to be many but are disappearing, the type you hope can stick around.

I just wish when people did reviews of Thai Restaurants, they actually told us what they have eaten and enjoyed there, like they do when its a restaurant serving foreign food.

"the basics" ...... really ?

I take this to mean, you ordered the Khao Pat ?

• Like 1

I know what the basics means in a Thai restaurant in Thailand.

It's about the STANDARD menu at a STANDARD "cooked to order" casual Thai restaurant in Thailand.

The menus are largely interchangeable and also of course you can ask for anything "standard" you want and they can usually cook it.

I've found in such places there aren't particular dishes that usually stand out.

As opposed to restaurants that specialize in something.

JASMINE RESTAURANT

On Soi Beaukow just south of Volare Italian restaurant intersection (west side of street).

I have now tried this place a few times and have some good things to say about it.

They serve both Israeli and Thai food.

I wouldn't go to an Israeli place for Thai so can only comment on the Israeli food.

The original menu when they first opened was a cramped two sided one pager, poorly designed, and very hard to understand especially for English speakers.

That has changed!

The new menu is crystal clear, with English and large pictures! thumbsup.gif

I have tried:

Shakshuka 140

Perfectly cooked poached eggs, tomato sauce too minimalist, served with side Israeli salad and pita.

Ordered spicy and got it.

NOT served in the metal plan as pictured on menu. Served on plate instead.

Coffee or juice included breakfast only.

This was one of the better tasting Shakshukas I've had in town, but there really wasn't enough sauce.

Hummous 110

With pita.

Tasted of some tahini in it (but not too much which is good for me) and some whole garbanzos on top.

Very good.

Eggplant in tahini (forget price)

Roasted large eggplant piece SWIMMING in tahini

Nice. But this is NOT baba ganoush (eggplant dip) which you can order but it's off the menu.

YEMENITE chicken soup 200

Very tasty. Smallish piece of chicken.

Served with two authentic side adds, one spicy.

I doubt it's world class Yemenite chicken soup because it's a COMPLICATED dish and uses really specialized spices ... but still, it was good eating.

IF you like things spicy, ask for either "spicy" or "Zhug" which isn't really pronounced that way to add to pretty much ANY Israeli dish.

Great with hummous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhug

You'll usually find the GREEN version locally.

To add, the excellent Thai waitress as well as the Israeli owner are remarkably friendly and seem to really care to make their customers happy, regardless of nationality.

As regular Pattaya restaurant diners know, that quite often is NOT the case!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Just a heads up, with Big C on Second Road closing soon, I stopped in by 'Khao Suay' last night where I have enjoyed some great meals since Big C first opened.

And I was informed by the Cook that they will be moving at the end of the month, to Sukhumvit 21.

Very sad to lose another great Pattaya Restaurant to the other side of the Sukhumvit :(

Just a heads up, with Big C on Second Road closing soon, I stopped in by 'Khao Suay' last night where I have enjoyed some great meals since Big C first opened.

And I was informed by the Cook that they will be moving at the end of the month, to Sukhumvit 21.

Very sad to lose another great Pattaya Restaurant to the other side of the Sukhumvit :(

Wow. Ouch. Yes that is a great restaurant.

Big C closing? I don't understand. Do you mean that entire mall?

• Like 1

Under major renovation plans.

Very sad to lose another great Pattaya Restaurant to the other side of the Sukhumvit sad.png

Yes closing down for 6 months at the end of this month, for a refurbishment :(

Interesting even if one more time I do not understand the location explained here.

It would be so much easier for everybody to have the google maps location with every post.

Thank you anyway.

TANATAN vegetarian INDIAN RESTAURANT

Specializing in GUJARATI cuisine.

This might be an odd mini-item.

Love the food. Did NOT love the service!

2nd road just south of Pattaya Tai, west side

Replaces the out of business after not much time Lucky Panc (turns out, NOT so lucky!)

This is the only all vegetarian Indian restaurant in town that I'm aware of that includes a large number of specifically GUJARATI specialties.

I doubt many non-Indians would know most of the specifically Gujarati dishes, I know I didn't, so with only the Indian name written in English and no pictures, be ready to do some googling on your device if you really want to understand the very interesting options.

I opted for the standard Gujarati THALI at 250.

They have other thali options including an unlimited serve of probably the same stuff for 300.

The thali included 4 rotis (too many really), a papadam, a sweetish sambar, paneer w/ spinach curry, garbanzo bean curry, some fresh vegetables, small salad type thingie. No yogurt course.

The portions (except for the rotis) were definitely on the SMALL side but the curries were rich so the normal portion would probably be OK for most people.

The rotis are normally served drenched in ghee. I asked for without ghee.

I did not specify spice level but the food was quite hot and spicy which I like, so no racial profiling, but it could be because it was a Thali with the curries pre-made.

The flavor profile complexity of the food was impressive. I would call it somewhat "gourmet" level. The dishes may sound standard but I reckon all the food had a Gujarati twist on it, especially the sambar. I think the flavor was more interesting than a similar meal at Saras.

The prices seems a little high for the portion, but the quality compensates.

Personally, I experienced a quite unpleasant "FAWLTY TOWERS" incident with the service. facepalm.gif

attachicon.gifft.jpg

I will give y'all a hint and a tip that might help you out if you go there -- and you probably should go there if you're looking for this kind of food.

After you order your food, let them have the MENU back, even if you would wish to study the menu (google time) for FUTURE visits.

Even if you tell the staff of various nationalities MULTIPLE TIMES that you have ALREADY ORDERED your meal THIS TIME.

I reckon you can tell from this what happened to me and how very, very, very, very long it took me to get an order that would NORMALLY arrive in 5 minutes!

• Like 1

Has been mentioned before. I won't do it. Others are welcome to detail locations any way they wish.

You know where the school is at the baht bus queue to Jomtien?

Roughly across the street from that.

There is absolutely no required format for restaurant mentions on this thread.

Even a one line blurb is welcome if it gives some information about local restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting even if one more time I do not understand the location explained here.

It would be so much easier for everybody to have the google maps location with every post.

I agree that proper directions are always a huge advantage, but some people seem to have an aversion to using Google Street View under any circumstances, in spite of how easy and convenient it is.

I think this place must be round here somewhere:

https://goo.gl/maps/spuA7qZhcbF2

I went to a fairly new place called Laong's Bistro. Situated on Jomtien 2nd Road, exactly opposite Jomtien Beach Condo and next door to Back Fabrik and a 7/11.

Street View is fairly useless as when Google went past a couple of years ago it was just fields! Anyway, it's here: https://goo.gl/maps/YtcXfgwqT1s

http://laongs.com

This place is quite upmarket and reckons to do fusion Thai/farang food. I tried their new Friday lunch buffet which they have introduced at 245B. This seems to showcase some of their menu items and also includes a few other buffet staples. They also promote an evening pasta buffet, on Thursday I think.

Thai dishes (creamy chicken curry, fried rice, meat with cashews and veg) were very good and well-flavoured.

Farang dishes were nice enough but a little bland. More salt would have helped the scotch eggs and the lasagne. Bolognese-style spaghetti sauce if anything was a little too salty, and was crying out for some basil. Chips (never a good idea in a buffet) started off nice but once cold were much less interesting. Should be good when ordered fresh though. They had some very good tuna sandwiches on brown bread. From the menu they had a variant of croque-monsieur (toasted cheese and ham) done on a waffle. This was fine apart from the waffle. I dont like waffles at the best of times and, like chips, they dont appreciate being left on a buffet. So I would say that is something that they should only serve to order.

They also had some decent salads, and some sort of escalope that I didnt try. Nice white bread.

Water 30B. Efficient and polite service. Nice decor. Prices net.

There were quite a few other people present, mostly Russians and Brits. Some were having the buffet and some ordering from the menu. I noticed some variants of Eggs Benedict on the menu that looked nice.

Apparently they change the items in the buffet regularly, so I will probably go back again for another look in a few weeks.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

That buffet sounds great. Do you have to dress decently to go there? I hate snooty places in a beach resort.

LOL. You obviously dont know me. I fly business class in shorts and refuse point blank to dress up for anyone or anything.

No, it's certainly not snooty. Just elegant.

That buffet sounds great. Do you have to dress decently to go there? I hate snooty places in a beach resort.

LOL. You obviously dont know me. I fly business class in shorts and refuse point blank to dress up for anyone or anything.

No, it's certainly not snooty. Just elegant.

So shorts no problem for lunch. I imagine people dress for dinner there then. Elegant is OK but I prefer dives with flies. Joking. Sort of.