The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Thanks. I have a question. When you ordered it did you say anything about desired spice or sugar level? Assuming not, how sweet did it taste? Because after I had their sugared pad Thai, I'm somewhat concerned that I got lucky that my experience with the Massaman wasn't also ruined by a sugar bomb!

I was actually expecting it to be sweet. I had mis-remembered and combined your previous posts in my mind and thought you had said the curry was sweet. I took several slow tastes because it was not sweet at all. And, no, I made no special requests when ordering, just pointed to the picture and said I wanted massaman chicken and a Coke Light. Originally I asked for club soda, but "mai mee," so Coke Light was next choice.

Also, they have free WiFi and you get the username/password from the staff.

• Like 1

I was actually expecting it to be sweet. I had mis-remembered and combined your previous posts in my mind and thought you had said the curry was sweet. I took several slow tastes because it was not sweet at all. And, no, I made no special requests when ordering, just pointed to the picture and said I wanted massaman chicken and a Coke Light. Originally I asked for club soda, but "mai mee," so Coke Light was next choice.

Also, they have free WiFi and you get the username/password from the staff.[/

quote]

Why on earth would you ask for club soda?... It doesn't exist here.

quote]

Okay, I asked for "nahm sodaah" and lots of restaurants have it.

• Like 1

Williams restaurant Tappraya on hill finally appears to be shut down. Hoping for a new restaurant in the space.

Nayeb Iranian restaurant near Beverly Plaza hotel south pattaya reopens after a very long closure with a modified menu. I liked the old menu better.

I rode by Williams 2-6x a day since it opened. Cannot recall a single customer ever going in nor out? The Apple place, lePomme?, further towards Jomtien Beach has cut back it's hours and looks on life support.

I too pass Williams but never went in. They were playing techno or electro pop in the afternoon. This is not suitable restaurant music at any time of the day.

It's not really suitable for bars either.

Round the corner on Pratumnak Soi 5 there is a large outdoor Thai family run restaurant. It's 50 yards past the V junction on the right. On Soi GULAG AKA Soi Katsesin the soi that leads to cozy beach there is an unpretentious English Pub that does a wide range of English food - roasts- stews-propet breakfasts - chops etc. A nice calm quiet atmosphere and good for people watching -The Wishing Well.

Angel Cafe, Thapphraya and Soi Jade House, has been closed more than open recently. The art gallery cafe & resturant a couple soi south closed a few months ago and reopened as only an art gallery. It had 45b Americanos, good staff, decent free wifi and a nice atmosphere where I use to enjoy a caffeine kick prior to hitting the gym most afternoons. Miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

Previously the beef brisket "burger" at Surprise restaurant, just off Soi Buakow (same soi as Pattayanis) was mentioned positively.

I said I'd get around to try it and I did so.

I was in the area and just a little bit hungry but I wanted to try it.

The item is 129 baht.

It's basically shredded beef brisket meat cooked in the style of pulled pork in a medium sized burger bun.

On the side is some lettuce with salad cream and some fries.

There is a small bowl of some not inspired "BBQ?" dipping sauce.

The portion of beef is rather small.

The bun is nothing to write home about.

As I said I wasn't very hungry so I just ate the beef and the bottom slice of bread.

I hate salad cream so didn't touch the salad and I avoid fries but had one for taste. OK I guess.

I felt the beef needed more spice so I slathered on tabasco sauce.

Now I happen to have quite good feelings about beef brisket from three traditions:

Eastern European, Chinese, and Texas BBQ.

By far excellent cooked Texas beef brisket BBQ being my favorite. Definitely not served shredded in pulled pork style.

Anyway, my feeling about the brisket at surprise was basically MEH.

I'm happy I tried, the meal is OK value for that price, I get why people like it, but personally I wouldn't return.

When seeking that kind of experience, I'd probably go for a pulled pork BBQ sandwich at Pastrami and Rye (yes, much more expensive).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The Apple place, lePomme?, further towards Jomtien Beach has cut back it's hours and looks on life support.

Yesterday afternoon it was completely closed, as it was at about 19.30 one evening last week.

I noticed that too.

That place is (was?) a cool casually elegant place to hang out. A different feel for that area.

But I never found the menu offerings very coherent or particularly exciting and what I did eat there didn't seem to match the level of the atmosphere.

It was obviously a significant effort to get that place open so sad to see them fade if indeed that's happening.

All the fittings seem to have gone now, so I would say definitively closed.

Just curious if anyone had tried this "authentic Sichuan" restaurant yet ?

http://pattayatoday.net/property-business/business-news/88-suki-sichuan-restaurant/

First I heard of it.

Is that a recent news item?

Is it really a Sichuan restaurant or just another Thai BBQ/Suki joint with different branding?

English menu? (Doubtful.)

Where exactly is it located on 3rd road.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

http://pattayatoday.net/property-business/business-news/88-suki-sichuan-restaurant/

First I heard of it.

Is it really a Sichuan restaurant or just another Thai BBQ/Suki joint with different branding?

I'll try again.

I thought maybe I knew where this place was.

There is a "Sechuan" BBQ place on a soi right off 3rd road, west side, roughly between Lengkee and Pattaya Tai so I had a look, but NO, that place is definitely not the place. That place appears to be a standard Thai BBQ type place and no 88 in the name either. Different joint.

Anyway ... can ANYONE please give me a clue where this new place in the linked article is located?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is useful but there's a YouTube video for the grand opening. The video was posted 11-June-2016, so I think this is a brand new place, and the video description says it's on a "section of Third Road in North Pattaya" so I'm guessing it's toward Pattaya Nua? Any eagle eyes here recognize the buildings in the video to pinpoint a location?[/size]

[edited to add:]
There's a phone number in the online news article linked above: 063 456 2259.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

It's right by the stoplight on 3rd road between Nua & Klang

There was a Chinese restaurant in there before.

Kinda mysterious, like they didn't want customers...I always thought it was a front for a gambling hall upstairs.

This new place looks more inviting.

North end of 3rd and just down and from the Vespa dealer next to a 7-11 and stop light.

• Like 1

Kinda mysterious, like they didn't want customers...I always thought it was a front for a gambling hall upstairs.

North end of 3rd and just down and from the Vespa dealer next to a 7-11 and stop light.

Yeah, I was assertive enough to eat there a few times. You're right, they weren't inviting. That location makes sense. This new place also looks like it's not catering to foreigners that aren't Chinese. I'm guessing it's mostly a Sechuan "hotpot" soup type place based on the clues. That's great but I would welcome a more robust menu with other dishes to order.

Example of Sechuan hot pot, start at 4:50.

As you can see the "broth" is very oily and with a massive amount of hot chilies and also the distinctive (NUMBING/TINGLING) Sechuan peppers (which aren't technically peppers).

You order the various foods, often weird organ meat stuff most westerners wouldn't like (including me), and dip it in the hot spiced oil.

Assuming they have a version of this, and I think they probably do, this would be a first for Pattaya.

There was a good Sechuan place in Jomtien, now closed, that did a just order a soup bowl version though.

Interestingly, you can't even buy real (as in from China and FRESH enough to even give a good NUMBING effect) in Thailand!

Restaurants here that do real Sechuan pepper taste import them directly themselves.

You can buy super weak Sechuan peppers locally, they are basically GARBAGE. No flavor.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, I was assertive enough to eat there a few times. You're right, they weren't inviting. That location makes sense. This new place also looks like it's not catering to foreigners that aren't Chinese. I'm guessing it's mostly a Sechuan "hotpot" soup type place based on the clues. That's great but I would welcome a more robust menu with other dishes to order.

Example of Sechuan hot pot, start at 4:50.

As you can see the "broth" is very oily and with a massive amount of hot chilies and also the distinctive (NUMBING/TINGLING) Sechuan peppers (which aren't technically peppers).

You order to various foods, often weird stuff westerners wouldn't like, and dip it in the hot spiced oil.

Definitely worth a try, seeing the enthusiasm in their opening extravaganza video.

https://youtu.be/s_SBqZXAw_k

Edited by Buzzz
  • Like 1

Yes, could be exciting, but I'm concerned about accessibility for westerners.

That actually quite good Sechuan place in Jomtien that I mentioned was a major pain in the butt to eat at. They catered specifically to Chinese. I feel might have had a better chance if they had made a real effort to promote to English speakers. The menu was confusing and nobody ever spoke any English. They never did any media outreach or web stuff. OK, probably still would have failed, but I find in that location that was just stupid to not even try.

BTW, I'm talking about the defunct actual Sechuan place back of Country Road bar, Dongtan Beach police box area and not the two other defunct Jomtien places that had some Sechuan dishes (with limited authentic spices) at Soi Welcome Plaza and also Chayaphreuk.

This place on 3rd road will likely be a hit with or without westerners.

Edited by Jingthing

quote]

club soda is everywhere

quote]

club soda is everywhere

Better known as soda water or just So-Daaaaaaa

It's an appropriate time to throw out a reminder about one of the best "upscale" restaurants on the Darkside, "Suggestions". It's located on Patanakarn Road, which runs north-south from near the east end of Nernplubwan (aka Muslim Road) to Nong Krapong (where the "Long Drive" Driving Range is located.

This is the road which has been under discussion in another thread because of the recent significant upgrade to the road surface, replacing blacktop with thick, reinforced concrete, and adding amazing lighting all along. (The road is only completed from Nernplubwan to a point just beyond where Suggestions is located. The south end of it is now being dug up to finish the project.

Suggestions is about 1.6 kms from the intersection with Nernplubwan, on the right side. It's just before the intersection with the road that leads up to the Bird Cage bar, and, beyond, to Khao Talo.

This place is, as I noted, an "upscale" environment, with food to match. The chef, Edwin, is Belgian; and a formally trained chef, and a very pleasant host. They have a fine Sunday Roast with the usual selection of meats; as well as a Daily Lunch Special, which offers 3 different choices each day, and includes a soup or salad appetizer, plus a choice from 2 desserts.

I've been eating here at least once a week (including throughout the road construction over bumpy dirt detours!) for the last year or so. I've literally never had a bad meal. Regular entrees range from roughly 225 to 500. The Sunday Roasts are 295 - 350, depending upon your choice of meat. The Daily Lunch Specials are 295. As I said, it's not for "cheap charlies"; but I consider everything on the menu to be a good value, considering the quality. Hours are 11:30 - 10:00 PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not a new place, there was a Chinese restaurant with karaoke and girls above before...

First I heard of it.