The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, the boom in Chinese restaurants is definitely a thing here. Not nearly as big as the Indian restaurant boom, but still a thing. 

About Tepprasit, the only Chinese restaurant I'm aware of there is the large place near the large food market. I think it's one of those "shark fin set" type places (doesn't interest me at all). Other than that one, can you give approximate locations of the other ones? Keep in mind there are many places now with Chinese signs and then when you actually look at the menu, it isn't Chinese food at all. It's Thai seafood catered to Chinese people. 

Peking duck would be at the fancy hotel restaurants that have been here for years.

Where Peking duck? On second Rd there is small Chinese near soi 6 and opposite a whole area called Soho that has Chinese. The small place does a dish called 'unfaithful concubine' consisting a chopped up tortoise or turtle! As for the other ones.  I have only seen them in passing but will make a note for future reference.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The manic said:

Where Peking duck? On second Rd there is small Chinese near soi 6 and opposite a whole area called Soho that has Chinese. The small place does a dish called 'unfaithful concubine' consisting a chopped up tortoise or turtle! As for the other ones.  I have only seen them in passing but will make a note for future reference.

OK, thanks. I was asking about TEPPRASIT, not 2nd road. 

On 2nd road, I think you mean this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10802709-Reviews-Fu_Man_Lou-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I have eaten there. It is Chinese. I find them overpriced and not great and there are better places for real Chinese in North Pattaya (mentioned on this thread already).

Where are the places you saw on TEPPRASIT?

For Peking duck, that's a fancy specialty. Pretty much all the fancy hotel Chinese restaurants have it --

Such as:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12912723-Reviews-Imperial_China-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1634906-Reviews-Huang_Chao_Royal_Cantonese_Cuisine-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Presumably also here --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3610953-Reviews-The_Peak-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

OK, thanks. I was asking about TEPPRASIT, not 2nd road. 

On 2nd road, I think you mean this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10802709-Reviews-Fu_Man_Lou-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I have eaten there. It is Chinese. I find them overpriced and not great and there are better places for real Chinese in North Pattaya (mentioned on this thread already).

Where are the places you saw on TEPPRASIT?

For Peking duck, that's a fancy specialty. Pretty much all the fancy hotel Chinese restaurants have it --

Such as:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12912723-Reviews-Imperial_China-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1634906-Reviews-Huang_Chao_Royal_Cantonese_Cuisine-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Om sure I have seen two on threpasit including the one you mention..with the no smoking sign but ill take note in future...im not desperate for chinese food but prefer their sweet and sour pork and crispy duck 

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

Om sure I have seen two on threpasit including the one you mention..with the no smoking sign but ill take note in future...im not desperate for chinese food but prefer their sweet and sour pork and crispy duck 

Other than the food market shark fin place, Tepprasit closer to Tappraya or closer to Sukhumwit? Again, I do a lot of exploring and most of the time I see Chinese signs like that it turns out they aren't even Chinese restaurants. But I want to check out any potential leads.

I don't order sweet and sour pork but I assume you want the more Hong Kong style, not the Thai style.  A place I think that probably would do that well might be the new Chinese place I mentioned on Pattaya Klang (south side) a bit west of Third Road.

On the question of duck, of course Peking duck is always a very expensive dish. In the U.S. Chinese restaurants often have less expensive crispy duck type dishes like Tea Smoked Duck. A great dish. I've never seen it here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Other than the food market shark fin place, Tepprasit closer to Tappraya or closer to Sukhumwit? Again, I do a lot of exploring and most of the time I see Chinese signs like that it turns out they aren't even Chinese restaurants. But I want to check out any potential leads.

I don't order sweet and sour pork but I assume you want the more Hong Kong style, not the Thai style.  A place I think that probably would do that well might be the new Chinese place I mentioned on Pattaya Klang (south side) a bit west of Third Road.

The large Chinese I saw on Threpasit was near the coleseum I think maybe one on either side. Yes you are correct hong komg style sweet and sour. I would also like to find a suchan place - the spicy chiese food.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

The large Chinese I saw on Threpasit was near the coleseum I think maybe one on either side. Yes you are correct hong komg style sweet and sour. I would also like to find a suchan place - the spicy chiese food.

Yes, the one near the Colesuem is the exact same one I already mentioned (also near the large food market hall in back). I checked their website. It looked like a boring shark fin type place. 

The other one, maybe. I need to check it out to see if it's one of those bait and switch places, Chinese signage ... Thai food. 

I'm still trying to figure out where YIPINLOU is. Ad signs on many baht buses. All in Chinese. Yipinlou Pattaya doesn't google result anything. 

Edited by Jingthing

Beach Spot on Jomtien's Beach Road.  Very friendly and attentive staff, good Thai food, next time I'll have to try a farlang dish or two.  Will definitely make this a regular haunt.  The menu is surprisingly varied.  

I tried my old standby chicken with cashew nut, pretty good although it has a northern flavor to it, a little bit of sweetness with the spiciness.  My gf tried the Chiang Mai soup and was impressed, enjoyed it.

II9A5924.jpg

II9A5925.jpg

II9A5927.jpg

II9A5931.jpg

II9A5933.jpg

II9A5939.jpg

• Like 1

BurgerMap Naklua

No, I haven't been and certainly not endorsing this, but it's worth noting that if you're looking for a RAMEN burger in town (no bun, the ramen is the bun) you now know where to go. 

Location (maybe, these maps are usually wrong!) --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12827091-Reviews-BurgerMap-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Burger Map is practically empty whenever I pass by (often) apart from the Russian owners and a few of their friends. I fear it is not going to be around too long. Opening hours have gradually been reduced from 24 to 15 in less than 12 months. I have only eaten breakfast there a couple of times and it was below average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, champers said:

Burger Map is practically empty whenever I pass by (often) apart from the Russian owners and a few of their friends. I fear it is not going to be around too long. Opening hours have gradually been reduced from 24 to 15 in less than 12 months. I have only eaten breakfast there a couple of times and it was below average.

Not surprised. That video didn't inspire me to want to eat there but I give them points for doing something "trendy" with the ramen bun burger (at least a few years ago). Trendy doesn't necessarily mean a good idea though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not surprised. That video didn't inspire me to want to eat there but I give them points for doing something "trendy" with the ramen bun burger (at least a few years ago). Trendy doesn't necessarily mean a good idea though. 

I wonder what kind of beef patties they are using, Wagyu mix with Thai?  Or just Thai beef?  I messaged them on their Facebook page, and they responded.  

"Dear Sir,

We use high quality Thai beef with best receipt from our Chef. You can order well done or medium patty. It’s of your choice.
And please be informed that we have every day happy hours from 3 p.m. till 6 p.m. 1 burger + 1 soft drink or Chang Beer 330 ml.
Have a good day!"

The menu does look awfully good though, not sure about the ramen noodle buns however, thankfully they offer three colors of bread buns and flat bread also :-).

Edited by Roger Lee

2 hours ago, champers said:

Clearly ridiculous people who didn't plan anything with a brain before opening their restaurant. I guess that the only reason why it is still open is that they still have a lot of money to wash...

The only review in English on Trip is the one that will kill them.

I guess that other reviews in Russian have been posted by the owner and his friends.

Edited by BsBs

Sizzler salad bar is at only 139 (from 199) until end of January !

They do a lunch special 10-3pm a small meal /salad bar and coke refill 239THB not bad.

You could have a 5 course meal

Soup

A salad dish

Your main

Mousse

cheese and crackers

I would recommend going to Central not the Royal Garden plazer as I found the salad bar not as good in there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Chinatown Food Court"

not yet open

Jomtien

Thappraya Road, Jomtien Complex at the corner

near here:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=12.902348,100.869545&z=16&t=m&hl=en-US&gl=US&mapclient=embed&cid=10778681076980233519

I could see that something Chinese-y was being built on that corner for some months now. What was it going to be? A restaurant? A small hotel? A small hotel with a small restaurant? No way to know. But there were signs in Chinese and a long list in Chinese looking for staff, so I figured a hotel. 

Then a sign goes up on the side saying Service Center and I don't know what that means. Some kind of tourism services hub?

Aha.

Finally some better clues.

Two signs go up. 

One saying CHINATOWN.

Another one saying FOOD COURT.

So maybe other stuff is happening, but definitely food, and definitely at least some Chinese food. In Jomtien of all places that doesn't have Chinese food.

Now this doesn't mean it's going to be particularly good. The large "Chinatown" in North Pattaya a bit north of Marina Mall is a good example of that. Overpriced, tourist trappy kinds of places for Chinese food, about half of it for pushing Thai seafood in Chinese language.

But still if you dig hard you can find some acceptable Chinese dishes there at not too horrible a price. 

I'm guessing it's going to be a somewhat similar type of format at this new place, but smaller. But who knows, maybe it will be better.

Time will tell but still kind of an exciting sea change for Jomtien.

The Chinese and their Chinese FOOD have arrived (soon enough). 

Edited by Jingthing

They do a lunch special 10-3pm a small meal /salad bar and coke refill 239THB not bad.  

Soup

A salad dish

Your main

Mousse

cheese and crackers

I would recommend going to Central not the Royal Garden plazer as I found the salad bar not as good in there.

I just had the 139THB Sizzer salad bar

Chicken soup (they also had onion and Tom yum)

A plate of salad

Pasta and salmon parsley sauce

More salad

2 mousses

And a bit of fruit

And they give you a bit of toast as well

167THB including including vat and a bottle of water

Its OK for 139 my only grumble is they don't name the cheese an sauces so I am not sure what they all are.

It ends on the 31st jan

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 6:33 AM, juice777 said:

Soup

A salad dish

Your main

Mousse

cheese and crackers

Salad bar is exactly the similar at all sizzler.

1 hour ago, bleble said:

Thanks so much for that.

Weirdly I was where it's indicated on the map above a few days ago and didn't see it. Could be the map is off and it's further south on 3rd. Definitely as assumed is a hiso kind of place.

Pattaya, Thailand, a product of Chinese restaurant, is the best decoration Pattaya most upscale, the most affordable Chinese restaurant. One-floor restaurant, the main Cantonese cuisine, Sichuan cuisine, specialty dishes are: abalone, mushroom buckle Liao Senate, braised chicken abalone, coconut imperial bird's nest, Cantonese pickled fish, spicy crayfish.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, juice777 said:

I just had the 139THB Sizzer salad bar

Chicken soup (they also had onion and Tom yum)

A plate of salad

Pasta and salmon parsley sauce

More salad

2 mousses

And a bit of fruit

And they give you a bit of toast as well

167THB including including vat and a bottle of water

Its OK for 139 my only grumble is they don't name the cheese an sauces so I am not sure what they all are.

It ends on the 31st jan

Cheese is fake cheese, cheap vegan cheese without milk.

• Thanks 1

Immodest Proposal --

Are there any Chinese speakers that are very fluent in English reading this thread?

If so, you could do a great culinary service by dropping by 

GRANDMA'S KITCHEN, Soi 13/3 South Pattaya (Delhi Darbar on the corner at 2nd road) and offering to translate their menu.

They're got a finished picture menu now but no staff that speaks more than a tiny bit of English and the Chinese on the menu doesn't translate very well with google photo translate.

They could potentially get a lot more business if they even had a one page of paper to give people with translations that correlated to the picture menu. 

I think it could be done in half an hour as it's not a very big menu, and you could ask the staff what the dish really is in Chinese if the printed text isn't clear. Yes, if I was them I would seek out such a service and just pay for it, but it's clear they aren't thinking about that. I'm not even sure they'd be open to this offer because like I said, they don't speak English.

It's still possible for non-Chinese speakers to eat there and struggle to understand the menu, but I think that's just too much effort for the vast majority to make that effort. So that's a lose lose. This charming little restaurant loses the potential business and potential customers never experience their food. 

Just a thought!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks so much for that.

Weirdly I was where it's indicated on the map above a few days ago and didn't see it. Could be the map is off and it's further south on 3rd. Definitely as assumed is a hiso kind of place.

Came past it today, it is very close to the Paniet Chang junction on 3rd Road.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

Came past it today, it is very close to the Paniet Chang junction on 3rd Road.

Thanks. Honestly I probably won't be eating there anyway but I was curious about where they were with all their ads in town. Normally I run from places featuring shark fins. Also it seems like they are big on selling their super fancy decorations. Not my style at all.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Immodest Proposal --

Are there any Chinese speakers that are very fluent in English reading this thread?

If so, you could do a great culinary service by dropping by 

GRANDMA'S KITCHEN, Soi 13/3 South Pattaya (Delhi Darbar on the corner at 2nd road) and offering to translate their menu.

They're got a finished picture menu now but no staff that speaks more than a tiny bit of English and the Chinese on the menu doesn't translate very well with google photo translate.

They could potentially get a lot more business if they even had a one page of paper to give people with translations that correlated to the picture menu. 

I think it could be done in half an hour as it's not a very big menu, and you could ask the staff what the dish really is in Chinese if the printed text isn't clear. Yes, if I was them I would seek out such a service and just pay for it, but it's clear they aren't thinking about that. I'm not even sure they'd be open to this offer because like I said, they don't speak English.

It's still possible for non-Chinese speakers to eat there and struggle to understand the menu, but I think that's just too much effort for the vast majority to make that effort. So that's a lose lose. This charming little restaurant loses the potential business and potential customers never experience their food. 

Just a thought!

If they are too stupid to pay 1000 someone to translate their menu, they just deserve to close as quickly as possible, No respect for this kind of idiots !

So Chinese people are just hopeless just like Thai ?

Edited by bleble

3 minutes ago, bleble said:

If they are too stupid to pay 1000 someone to translate their menu, they just deserve to close as quickly as possible, No respect for this kind of idiots !

Well, I agree it's not very visionary not translating the menu but they opened mainly to serve Chinese customers and that's exactly who they're serving. I haven't looked at their books but they usually have customers in their small restaurant. But I know they're happy to welcome westerners as well. My idea is not only for them but to make access easier for non-Chinese as well. I do realize not many people would be willing to do such a service for nothing. I would if I could, but I can't!

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I agree it's not very visionary not translating the menu but they opened mainly to serve Chinese customers and that's exactly who they're serving. I haven't looked at their books but they usually have customers in their small restaurant. But I know they're happy to welcome westerners as well. My idea is not only for them but to make access easier for non-Chinese as well. I realize not many people would be willing to do such a service for nothing. 

So Chinese people are just hopeless just like Thai ?