Pm Urges Unity In The Coming Year

Lite Beer

PM urges unity in the coming year

The Nation on Sunday

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asked people yesterday to "think positively", be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other in order to welcome new opportunities and allow the country to achieve sustainable development.

"In the New Year, please join hands and generate the power of positive thinking [in order to] bring happiness.

May Thais have good health and receive whatever they wish for," she said during her weekly television programme.

Yingluck thanked the state and private sectors as well as the public for joining hands in getting through the flood crisis late last year and rehabilitating the country.

She said she had boosted foreign countries' confidence in investing in Thailand.

The government was preparing for the Asean Economic Community by developing infrastructure, including in the provinces, especially in the areas of English proficiency and trade laws.

"To make the economy strong and grow, exports, state investment and private-sector investment must go together. The private sector is a key player; the government is just a mediator that promotes investment opportunities and reduces obstacles, as well as creating confidence in trade and investment.

"In the past we have seen a lot of tourists coming to Thailand, and we see opportunities for future investment [in this sector]. Therefore, 2013 is deemed a year of development," she said, adding that the government aimed to improve the quality of life for the people, especially welfare for children, women, the elderly and the underprivileged. It would also develop systematically instead of letting ministries work separately.

Later in the programme, video clips were displayed touting the government's work according to its 16 urgent policies.

At a press conference, Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut faulted the government's performance in six areas, including higher fuel prices and lower agricultural product prices, and increases in the trade deficit and public debt over the previous year. He also cited irregularities in implementation of government policies and said the country lacked a real leader, as senior members of the administration looking to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra for orders.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Jirayu Huangsap, meanwhile, nicknamed the Democrats "the CNS's Guard", referring to the 2006 coup-making body the Council for National Security, and said the opposition was "an opposition in front of the Ammat's [the Elite's] Curtain". He said people most loved Yingluck's statement that "As a Thai, I want to see the money amount more than the [amount of the rice in] tonnes."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-30

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the fragrant Ms-Yingluck mention abandoning continuing-attempts to get an amnesty for he brother, as a positive contribution from her government and party, towards reconciliation and unity ?

Or did she run out of time to say this, on her way to the airport, to greet family (wonder who exactly that might be ?) in Hong Kong ? wink.png

• Like 1

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asked people yesterday to "think positively", be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other in order to welcome new opportunities and allow the country to achieve sustainable development."

Only on TVF can that be spun to be a bad thing.

Sadly, you are right.

I guess that is why she left Friday for Hong Kong to spend time with her family there. She must me asking all her family to do whatever is necessary for unity in the coming year-yeah I believe it.

NYE is fun in HK.

Quite and uplifting speech from Yingluck, pity it fell on deaf ears with Jirayu Huangsap.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asked people yesterday to "think positively", be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other in order to welcome new opportunities and allow the country to achieve sustainable development."

Well Mr. gator if she spoke it and meant it then we would not have a hey day with her statement. Surely you are not naive enough to really believe there is a word of truth in this statement that is directed towards her family and the PTP.

Well Mr. gator if she spoke it and meant it then we would not have a hey day with her statement. Surely you are not naive enough to really believe there is a word of truth in this statement that is directed towards her family and the PTP.

I try to consider people's words at face value without pre-conceived notions. If the statement is, as you say, directed towards her family and the PTP, then she must be calling for them to be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other. How is that a bad thing? Edited by gatorsoft
  • Like 1

Yingluck's message urging unity is a positive statement. The Thai people need to put the political conflicts behind them and get on with their lives.

Of course the best way to achieve her wish would be to ask her big brother if he could stay away for a while longer yet.

But would she? Could she?

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

You are quite rite it is a good thing to say.

But

The intent behind it is do as I say no arguments and all will be well for me and my family.

Any fool can say that and not mean it but impress the he l out of the gullible.

I try to consider people's words at face value without pre-conceived notions. If the statement is, as you say, directed towards her family and the PTP, then she must be calling for them to be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other. How is that a bad thing?

I find it hard to believe you have been here in Thailand as long as you have and seen what you have seen to not have preconceived notions.

the pm wishes the thai people happiness in the new year and the posters attack her

good job dudes - you win the negative vibe award for 2012.

may you have continued success in 2013

oh, yeah, its a group award so dont fight over it

Did the fragrant Ms-Yingluck mention abandoning continuing-attempts to get an amnesty for he brother, as a positive contribution from her government and party, towards reconciliation and unity ?

Or did she run out of time to say this, on her way to the airport, to greet family (wonder who exactly that might be ?) in Hong Kong ? wink.png

An amnesty for dear brother? I think this answer to a question not asked is still valid. From January 2012:

""Asked if her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, would return to face justice soon, Yingluck said the reconciliation atmosphere mostly depends on unity, equality, rule of law and fairness for all.""

To be fair, Ms. Yingluck has avoided being seen with her brother. That would really affect 'unity', 'equality', 'rule of law' and 'fairness for one'wink.png

I try to consider people's words at face value without pre-conceived notions. If the statement is, as you say, directed towards her family and the PTP, then she must be calling for them to be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other. How is that a bad thing?

face value from her and her family? now that is naive

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe you have been here in Thailand as long as you have and seen what you have seen to not have preconceived notions.

It's pretty difficult for anyone to not have preconceived notions regardless of how long and where they have lived. That is why I used the word try. I'm also curious how you would know how long I have been in Thailand and what I have seen. I find it hard to believe that anyone who was in Thailand during Abhisit's reign of unbridled censorship could have any respect for him as a leader or as a human being. In my opinion (note those words, most posters here like to state their opinion as undisputed facts), Abhisit's tenure was all about doing whatever was necessary to cling to power. I will admit that his decision not to ride out his entire term, seems to deny that conclusion. Perhaps he had a change of heart for reasons we will never know.
  • Like 1

POLITICS

Show some independence, PM told

The Nation

30197045-01_big.jpg

File photo : Prasarn

BANGKOK: -- Senator Prasarn Marukpitak asked the government and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to set example for the public in positive thinking - by being independent and not under influence of her brother, ex-PM Thaksin.

Prasarn was responding to Yingluck's New Year message in which she asked the public to think positively, be merciful and compassionate to others and listen to each other in order to welcome new opportunities and allow the country to achieve sustainable development.

The senator said Yingluck in particular should be herself and not under the influence of Thaksin as in previous years. "Khun Yingluck should moreover place importance and be responsible on the parliamentary jobs instead of ignoring them and staying afloat away from all problems like last years," he said.

There were four ways to help the country out of its present dilemma, he said - stop reviewing the entire Constitution, review the ricepledging scheme, and for the premier to be responsible about the Parliament's works and emerge from Thaksin's influence.

Meanwhile, Senate vice president Surachai Liengboonlertchai said he wished the prime minister would think positive in the year to come and commit to the benefit of the country and people, rather than of political leaders.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-30

Haleluya Prasarn needs to run for the next PM of Thailand.

Well if it was true then sure it would not be a bad thing. But we have already seen the M.O. of YS/TS and their cronies. Merciful? Compassionate? In your dreams. This reminds me of the scorpion and the frog.

The Scorpion and the Frog is a fable about a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion explains that this is simply its nature. The fable is used to illustrate the view that the behaviour of some creatures, or of some people, is irrepressible, no matter how they are treated and no matter what the consequences.

Hahaha I have always loved the scorpion and frog story, I have used it many times to explain about Thailand.... If she really wanted unity she would abandon attempts to bring back the criminal brother.. He is already looting the country from afar, no need to bring him here.

• Like 2

Hahaha I have always loved the scorpion and frog story, I have used it many times to explain about Thailand.... If she really wanted unity she would abandon attempts to bring back the criminal brother.. He is already looting the country from afar, no need to bring him here.

Could you please provide some evidence of 'He is already looting the country from afar'? What are the amounts and particular areas that he is looting?

Could you please provide some evidence of 'He is already looting the country from afar'? What are the amounts and particular areas that he is looting?

Absolutely correct, dear Rich teacher. K. Thaksin doesn't loot, he merely influences things from afar as anyone in self-exile would do. A simple case of "Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts".

Pleeeeeease give us a break. Surely you can do better than this my good man.

Yingluck is already emerging, unfortunately, as in this thread, Thaksin is all too frequently dragged into the equation by those who wish to state he is always part of the equation......smile.png

Can you please translate this into English my friend?
  • Like 1