Thai Man Charged With Murder Of British Holidaymaker

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever something bad happens in a tourist area in Thailand we have some posters bashing the whole country and even the entire Thai nationality. Anyone who has spent a few years in Thailand and who has made a serious attempt to learn the language and culture, very likely understands that there are in effect two Thailands -- one consists of the popular tourist areas where scammers, con-artists and snake oil salesmen are attracted by the naivety and gullibility of the tourists. Of course, this is true of many, if not most, tourist areas anywhere in the world.

The other Thailand includes places like Mae Sot, Tak, Phitsanulok, Lom Sak, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Srisaket, Mukdahan, Mahasarakham (just for example), as well as hundreds of other places in other areas I've been to. In those places, the local folks are generally the friendliest, kindest, most polite, and helpful folks I have found in my 26 years in Asia. They very often go out of their way to render whatever assistance is asked and are quite happy to get only a smile and a "thank you" in return.

This is the Real Thailand. The Thailand with the "real Thais" who are still not contaminated by the politics and corruption of Bangkok nor by the temptation to cash in on the gullibility of naive tourists.

My experiences in the Real Thailand include -- Traveling in the mountains in the north, the first time I came up behind a big dump truck going up a hill he promptly moved to the edge to let me pass. I experienced this dozens of time in the provinces. During 16 years in Japan I never had such an experience. A Japanese truck driver would never do such a thing. In my experience, in the provinces, the Thai police are like guardian angels when one gets into a minor scrape -- kind, courteous and professional -- even when their English was very limited.

This has been my experience in the Real Thailand. Once I discovered the Real Thailand (about 20 years ago), I have tried to avoided the tourist areas. Of course, that is very difficult until one becomes fairly proficient in the language.

I strongly suspect that many of the old timers here have come to a very similar conclusion.

yes i have seem scam city and he does not only travel to Thailand if Thailand was the one tourist detination in the world where tyourists get in troubl;e then that man would not be able to do many documentrys

also bangged up abroad

Mexcio and the whole of South America are tourist destinations. As is American and England

if there was not crime in Thailand then it would mean that is because no one comes here as there is nothing to do or it has a population of about 2 people

where there is tourist plus money equals crime but we can be aware of our surrounds and sometimes we are just plane unlucky. not just with crime but planes getting canselled

booking your dream holiday anywhere in the tropics and it rains for the whole 3 weeks

Tragic story all round, however the Thais really don't help themselves...

If this guy was caught in crossfire, how can it be murder?

And seriously, are those two guys either side of him really the police?

Buck your ideas up BiB, the whole world is following this!

If anyone fires a gun in public and kills someone, technically it may be manslaughter, but it should be murder.

no, he fired the gun with the intention of killing someone, he just happened to hit the wrong person.....murder 2nd degree at least. he didnt accidentally pull out the the gun and, whoops, fire it at people...he fully intended to at the very least hurt a rival gang member - the fact he hit someone else does not make it manslaughter. he admits he was shooting at a rival gang. its murder.

• Like 1

Key points. Top location for tourists, many confronting gang members, carrying a pre-made lethal device, firing randomly.

A law and order issue...the combination was preventable and the shameful result was avoidable.

The arrestee has neither a sneer nor smirk but the Thai expression shown when about to receive wrath from above. he knows he will be punished for the police and national loss of face.

The FO advice is perfectly phrased. ..basically at your own peril, law and order is not the norm, bewarned.

Again, an utterly preventable and shameful event...a very sad loss for all.

Another thai man who was in dire need of a father when he was growing up.

What a stupid thing to say, I know many people that grew up without a father, and they are great people.

Edited by Jayroo
  • Like 1

Another thai man who was in dire need of a father when he was growing up.

What a stupid thing to say, I know many people that grew up without a father, and they are great people.

i agree sticking up for the killer and making him look lik a victims is just absolute tut.

How does this person he did not have a farther ? even if he did not maybe they should let everyone out of jail who did not have a loving farther or not !@!