Apply For Thai Driving Licence With Only Uk Licence

davejones

I'm thinking of applying for a Thai driving licence, but have read elsewhere on these forums that I need an international driving permit to apply. Is that the case, or can I just use my UK driving licence? I no longer live in the UK, so it's not possible for me to get an international driving permit. Also, as I'm no longer a resident there, I can't hire a car there with my UK licence, which is a bit of a problem, as my friends and family live in pretty remote areas. I'm British, passed my driving test there, but I'm not allowed to use my UK licence to drive there. Has the world gone mad?

If it’s clearly marked on your UK license what type of vehicles you are allowed to operate, you should be OK without an IDP.

Reason they want to see an IDP is that it’s very clear what you’re licensed to drive, it’s not a requirement.

Additionally, if they won’t accept your UK license for a conversion, then you can always take the tests, they are quite easy here. wink.png

• Like 1

If it’s clearly marked on your UK license what type of vehicles you are allowed to operate, you should be OK without an IDP.

Reason they want to see an IDP is that it’s very clear what you’re licensed to drive, it’s not a requirement.

Additionally, if they won’t accept your UK license for a conversion, then you can always take the tests, they are quite easy here. wink.png

I've just found out that I can apply for an IDP by post, so I'll do that first. I don't mind taking a test, but it's juts more expense and hassle. I don't need to drive here, but need a Thai licence to drive in the UK when I visit; UK driving licences are invalid if you move overseas.

I believe they want an IDP if your license is not in English. They can figure out English, just not German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc. (There is no Thai page in an IDP so what's the point of obtaining a translation of your English license - the Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date data - already in English, into an IDP where they use the English page to figure out what is your Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date, etc.?)

I used my American non-expired drivers license to obtain a car license directly - no test except the color blind and reaction test. If your license is expired, forget it - you do the test route.

If I had some proof printed off the internet - from my state drivers license issuer - that 'proved' my motorcycle endorsement, I would have been issued a motorcycle license directly, no tests. And this would have been in English! Since I wasn't prepared for that, I just opted to take the written and driving test instead of going home, getting proof, and returning the next day. Took me about 2 hours extra to do the tests, much of that time sitting and waiting.

UK driving licences are invalid if you move overseas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Really ??? w00t.gif

Anyway you can get a Thai driving licence by producing your UK one and doing some basic tests for color blindness,periferall vision (sp)

and reaction time...no need to do the writen or practical tests.

if you want a motorbike licence then your uk one will have to show entitlement or they make you do the full test procedure for the bike.

When I got my IDP from uk the POst office stamped the motorcycle part on it too,, even though I hadnt passed the MC test, in Thailand I produced the idp along with my uk car licence both paper and card part filled in docs for both motorcycle and car application in thailand,, lady asked for evidence of MC entitlement, I showed her the IDP stamp on the MC section and she then processed the application,, I then proceeded to take the colour blindness test and that braking box test or whatever you call it,, I didnt have to do the practical test or the questions and was issued with both licences,

='johng'

if you want a motorbike licence then your uk one will have to show entitlement or they make you do the full test procedure for the bike.

OP should take his UK license to the Motor Vehicle dept and apply for a Thai license. As has been said using a current UK license and if the OP lives here then all that is required is to watch the video and do the colour and reaction tests.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Edited by VocalNeal

Anyway you can get a Thai driving licence by producing your UK one and doing some basic tests for color blindness,periferall vision (sp)

I am not familair with UK law, but still in possession of a UK passport and not being allowed to drive in the UK with a UK DL because the OP has moved abroad sounds very, very strange to me.

Yes, really!!! Strange but true. Take a look at DVLA website.

OP should take his UK license to the Motor Vehicle dept and apply for a Thai license. As has been said using a current UK license and if the OP lives here then all that is required is to watch the video and do the colour and reaction tests.

http://driving.infor...ng-licence.html

I'll try with my UK passport first. If they say no, I'll get IDP and try again.

I am not familair with UK law, but still in possession of a UK passport and not being allowed to drive in the UK with a UK DL because the OP has moved abroad sounds very, very strange to me.

Yes, really!!! Strange but true. Take a look at DVLA website.

Just did as advised, and can find nothing about a UK national living abroad not being allowed to drive in GB.

Can you be a bit more specific and/or quote the information?

I hadn't noticed that. I cannot believe that a UK national with a UK driving license is not allowed to rent a car on a UK license. Unless they are so many points on the license from before that the renter's insurance will not cover the driver.

Maybe as usual someone trying to circumvent the system by getting what they perceive as a duplicate license, with no points on it. But as has been said that loophole is filled by the temporary nature of the 1 -year Thai license.

There are 2 parts to a UK license a plastic credit type card and a paper license. To hire a car you haver to produce both parts of the license the card on its own is not valid. The reason for this is that any endorsements are listed on the paper part and not shown on the card.

I used my UK license to get a Thai license without any problem and I did not have to take the driving test, so just go ahead and do it.

Is the OP sure that he can drive in the UK on a Thai driving licence?

I had an impression this was not allowed and that you must have either a UK or IDL.

I lived in Cyprus for 4 years before coming here and had no problems with visits to UK and using my UK licence to hire a car.

I was a friend that told me the UK licence was invalid, and I thought I read in on DVLA website, but can't find it now, so I'll check with her later. But, the website clearly states that you can't update your address or renew your photocard if you have left the UK. It is also an offence, punishable with a fine up to £1,000, not to update these. So it's like a catch-22 situation. If you can't update the address, or renew the licence, what happens if you're stopped by the police? A car rental company will probably rent you the car because they won't know if the licence is valid or not. But what if you have an accident, are stopped by the police, etc. If the licence isn't valid, then the insurance will be invalid and you'll be driving without a licence or insurance. If you're not allowed to update the address or renew the licence, I can't see how the licence can be valid. But if the licence hasn't reached it's renewal date yet, I also can't see how anyone would know. The whole things is absurd. If you can't update the address, that means you have to leave it at the address you were last at. That is where they will send the renewal, because they'll assume you are still there. And then that could allow someone to fraudulently use your driving licence. They won't have a new photo, so might be difficult, but I'm sure some people could get passed that. It just doesn't seem very well thought through.

Is the OP sure that he can drive in the UK on a Thai driving licence?

I had an impression this was not allowed and that you must have either a UK or IDL.

I lived in Cyprus for 4 years before coming here and had no problems with visits to UK and using my UK licence to hire a car.

I'm not sure of anything. The DVLA website is very vague about moving abroad. It doesn't say I can't drive in UK, but says to contact authorities in country I want to move to. But I don't drive here, so have no need to get a Thai licence. But my UK licence (photocard part) expires soon, and the DVLA clearly state that I'm not allowed to renew it. So if I go back to the UK for a holiday after it has expired, how can I drive? So my thought was to get a Thai licence and use that. I'm aware that I may need to get an IDP as well, but can't get that without a Thai licence.

So what I really want to know is, how can I drive in the UK if I go back on holiday. I would prefer to use my UK licence, but that will have expired, with no (legal) way of renewing it. So I'm very confused. Every forum I've checked has people who are sure it's valid and people who are sure it's not. But mine definitely won't be because it will have expired.

What address do you have on your U licence? What do you plan to do when your UK licence expires. If you live here, you can't renew it. Unless you lie and give a UK address.

Edited by davejones

'What address do you have on your U licence? What do you plan to do when your UK licence expires. If you live here, you can't renew it. Unless you lie and give a UK address'

I applied for a new license last year as I had lost my old one. I used my sisters address as I do for most other things. I have lived in Thailand for the past 13 years and I have never had a problem driving when I return to the UK. If I got stopped i would be residing at my sisters would I not. I think that you are over thinking this a bit. Albeit as you say the laws do not make any sense. You can apply for a Thai license using only your UK license without any problem.

'What address do you have on your U licence? What do you plan to do when your UK licence expires. If you live here, you can't renew it. Unless you lie and give a UK address'

I applied for a new license last year as I had lost my old one. I used my sisters address as I do for most other things. I have lived in Thailand for the past 13 years and I have never had a problem driving when I return to the UK. If I got stopped i would be residing at my sisters would I not. I think that you are over thinking this a bit. Albeit as you say the laws do not make any sense. You can apply for a Thai license using only your UK license without any problem.

You might be right that I'm over thinking it. But if you had a serious accident you can be 100% sure the insurance company will check every little detail to see if they can avoid paying out. They would then find out you haven't lived in the UK for years and also find out that you fraudulently acquired a new licence. I know this is unlikely to happen, but it is bound to happen to some people. It is clearly an offence to obtain a UK driving licence if you're not a UK resident. I'd prefer to stay within the law. Having a serious accident, having the insurance company not pay out, and find you are personally liable for any claim (that could run into millions) is just not worth the risk for the sake of driving for a few days. That's just me. If other want to take that risk, then that's their choice. Although I do realise the risk is small. I'd just rather not get caught up in all that. But if you just drive around and don't have an accident then probably there's no way anyone would find out.

You might be right that I'm over thinking it. But if you had a serious accident you can be 100% sure the insurance company will check every little detail to see if they can avoid paying out. They would then find out you haven't lived in the UK for years and also find out that you fraudulently acquired a new licence. I know this is unlikely to happen, but it is bound to happen to some people. It is clearly an offence to obtain a UK driving licence if you're not a UK resident. I'd prefer to stay within the law. Having a serious accident, having the insurance company not pay out, and find you are personally liable for any claim (that could run into millions) is just not worth the risk for the sake of driving for a few days. That's just me. If other want to take that risk, then that's their choice. Although I do realise the risk is small. I'd just rather not get caught up in all that. But if you just drive around and don't have an accident then probably there's no way anyone would find out.

I completely understand your point of view Dave and i also like to remain on the right side of the law. I have a valid UK license with a family UK address and I take out valid motor insurance when I hire a car. I do not see this as being an illegal act. By the way I am not resident anywhere other than the UK becuase I can not get residency in Thailand. I hold a UK passport, so should legally be able to drive in the UK on my UK license.

I hold a UK passport, so should legally be able to drive in the UK on my UK license.

And I want to bet you can.

@ the op: check this out very well, but 'a friend told me' is not exactly hard evidence you're not allowed to drive in the UK as a UK national living abroad. The more I think about that, the more I am convinced you're wrong. But also my opinion is not exactly hard evidence.

I hold a UK passport, so should legally be able to drive in the UK on my UK license.

@ the op: check this out very well, but 'a friend told me' is not exactly hard evidence you're not allowed to drive in the UK as a UK national living abroad. The more I think about that, the more I am convinced you're wrong. But also my opinion is not exactly hard evidence.

I'm not saying what my friend says is hard evidence or that she is correct, but she's usually very well informed about these things and used to work at the DVLA many years ago.

So if you assume I am allowed to drive, how to do explain that I'm not allowed to renew my licence. Are you saying that it's ok for me to drive with an expired licence? So if I'm stopped by the police and they see my licence has expired, what do I say? Oh, it ok to drive on an expired licence because I live in Thailand. And what if I break the speed limit and they need to contact me? How can they if they don't have my address? The rules are very unclear, which is why there is so much debate about it. I just wish the DVLA would say in plain English whether your licence is still valid on or not once you leave the UK. Seems like parliament passed some vague laws without thinking them through properly. Not a surprise really.

Also, I just found a reply from a guy on another forum. He posted the exact reply he got from the DVLA, and they said he wasn't allowed to drive. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone else got a different reply from the DVLA, If the rules are too vague, how are you supposed to interpret them?

But I'm not claiming to know for sure one way or the other. All I know is that I'm not allowed to change the address on my licence and I'm not allowed to renew it. Those rules are very clear. Not being able to do those things points to me not being allowed to use the licence to drive in the UK. Or maybe I'm allowed to drive until it's expired and then have to reply on a licence from country of residence. But I can't see how I would be allowed to drive on an expired licence that I'm unable to renew. That would be very bizarre.

I'm not saying what my friend says is hard evidence or that she is correct, but she's usually very well informed about these things and used to work at the DVLA many years ago.

So if you assume I am allowed to drive, how to do explain that I'm not allowed to renew my licence. Are you saying that it's ok for me to drive with an expired licence? So if I'm stopped by the police and they see my licence has expired, what do I say? Oh, it ok to drive on an expired licence because I live in Thailand. And what if I break the speed limit and they need to contact me? How can they if they don't have my address? The rules are very unclear, which is why there is so much debate about it. I just wish the DVLA would say in plain English whether your licence is still valid on or not once you leave the UK. Seems like parliament passed some vague laws without thinking them through properly. Not a surprise really.

Also, I just found a reply from a guy on another forum. He posted the exact reply he got from the DVLA, and they said he wasn't allowed to drive. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone else got a different reply from the DVLA, If the rules are too vague, how are you supposed to interpret them?

But I'm not claiming to know for sure one way or the other. All I know is that I'm not allowed to change the address on my licence and I'm not allowed to renew it. Those rules are very clear. Not being able to do those things points to me not being allowed to use the licence to drive in the UK. Or maybe I'm allowed to drive until it's expired and then have to reply on a licence from country of residence. But I can't see how I would be allowed to drive on an expired licence that I'm unable to renew. That would be very bizarre.

Of course you need a valid license. And yes, you can renew it and yes, you can change the address, you just need a UK address.

Regarding being allowed to drive on a UK license in the Uk while living abroad, did you already ask the DVLA?

Edited by stevenl

DaveJones,

What residency do you have other than UK? if you declared non-residency you are still allowed to be there for a maximum period every year.

You should immediately get a Thai licence after 3 months of living here, if on a visa that allows you to stay.The first one will be "temporary' and not allow you to drive overseas. After that you can get an International permit and that is good anywhere.

The only problem would be if you returned to the UK in the first 12 months and your UK licence had expired.

• Like 1

Used my 20 yo UK license and an agent a few years back ...no worries

The OP can update his UK DL photo with the DVLA as long as he has ACCESS TO a UK postal address. Like others have posted, it can be a family member address or that of a friend. It is neither illegal or fraudulent to do so. The DVLA does not accept overseas addresses. I have lived overseas for over 30 years and recently updated my UK DL photo card using my parents address in the UK. I notably do not stay there while I am in the UK but it is a physical and verifiable address where if need be, police and authorities can find out where I am.

Once the OP gets the UK DL revalidated, he can apply in person (at AA Offices or certain main Post Offices) or by post (direct with the AA) for a 1-year, non-extendable but renewable UK International Driving PERMIT (not a license). He will be unable to drive on the UK IDP as a UK citizen in the UK. I mean, he can drive but it would be illegal. He would be legal to drive as a UK visitor on his Thai DL (if he can get one) but some car rental agencies may have 'issues' with that as I had using my Thai DL for a rental in the US due to an expired US DL.

Back to the crux of the OP, having an IDP is NOT required when applying for a Thai DL. Having a full, valid DL from your home or another country is.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

The OP can update his UK DL photo with the DVLA as long as he has ACCESS TO a UK postal address. Like others have posted, it can be a family member address or that of a friend. It is neither illegal or fraudulent to do so. The DVLA does not accept overseas addresses. I have lived overseas for over 30 years and recently updated my UK DL photo card using my parents address in the UK. I notably do not stay there while I am in the UK but it is a physical and verifiable address where if need be, police and authorities can find out where I am.

Once the OP gets the UK DL revalidated, he can apply in person (at AA Offices or certain main Post Offices) or by post (direct with the AA) for a 1-year, non-extendable but renewable UK International Driving PERMIT (not a license). He will be unable to drive on the UK IDP as a UK citizen in the UK. I mean, he can drive but it would be illegal. He would be legal to drive as a UK visitor on his Thai DL (if he can get one) but some car rental agencies may have 'issues' with that as I had using my Thai DL for a rental in the US due to an expired US DL.

Back to the crux of the OP, having an IDP is NOT required when applying for a Thai DL. Having a full, valid DL from your home or another country is.

You are wrong. The law is very clear - you have to be a UK resident to do the above, not have access to a UK address. They probably won't check, but it is certainly not legal, so don't give out advice that is totally wrong. Read the DVLA website. It couldn't be any clearer that you can only do the above if you are a UK resident. UK resident means actually living at an address in the UK. If you don't believe me, then phone the DVLA and ask them. And good luck if you have a serious accident and the insurance company start investigating. Of course, probably 99%+ of people won't have any problems because no-one is likely to check. But that's also the case with lots of illegal things.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

Ok. But if one is NOT a resident of anywhere else and have a UK passport then by default one is a UK resident even if one filed for non-residency for tax purposes. I am no lawyer but one has to be able to claim residency somewhere. If not in UK, if have a UK passport then where?

I.e if applying for a Brazilian work visa, their rules state that you can only apply in a country in which you are able to claim residency. So hypothetically where would you go to get Brazilian work visa?

If I had a UK licence which I no longer do. But if I did and went to visit my brother I would get my address changed to his house and be "resident " with him for the duration of my stay.

The longer you wait to get a Thai license the longer it will be before you can get the five year one and a international driving permit.

You are wrong. The law is very clear - you have to be a UK resident to do the above, not have access to a UK address. They probably won't check, but it is certainly not legal, so don't give out advice that is totally wrong. Read the DVLA website. It couldn't be any clearer that you can only do the above if you are a UK resident. UK resident means actually living at an address in the UK. If you don't believe me, then phone the DVLA and ask them. And good luck if you have a serious accident and the insurance company start investigating. Of course, probably 99%+ of people won't have any problems because no-one is likely to check. But that's also the case with lots of illegal things.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/files/Driver_Licence_Check_Guide.pdf

This Department of Transport guide states:-

The term ‘resident’ is not, in fact, explicitly

defined in British legislation for the purposes of

driving licences. However, it is a prerequisite for

obtaining a UK licence that the applicant

‘meets the relevant residency requirement’

highlighted in Section 89(1a) of the 1988 Road

Traffic Act (as amended).

(Appologies for the small cut and paste text)

So, you are correct that you have to be a UK resident to obtain a UK driving licence, however, if you already hold a UK licence the position is not so clear cut.

Whether you are, UK resident, Ordinarily resident, Non-Ordinarily resident and Domiciled are covered by HM Revenue & Customs in:-

http://www.hmrc.gov....l/residence.htm

For instance:-

If you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days

Even if you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days in a tax year, you might still be UK resident.

If you come to the UK to live or work on a continuing basis you will be resident from your arrival.

Factors that affect your residence status include:

• whether you have previously been a UK resident
  • where your family, property, business, work, and social connections are
  • the pattern and purpose of your visits to the UK

You are likely to be resident if, over a period of several years, your presence in the UK becomes part of the regular pattern of your life.