Thailand 2G Auction Tentatively Earmarked For 2014

webfact

Thailand 2G auction tentatively earmarked for 2014

By Liau Yun Qing

Summary: Regulator National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission is planning to farm out 25MHz of 1800MHz spectrum, as the existing license with CAT Telecom expires in September this year.

Thailand is looking at the possibility of holding an auction for 2G spectrum by the third quarter of 2014, as the current contract with state-owned CAT Telecom will wind down this September.

According to The Nation's report Wednesday, local operators True Move and Digital Phone Company (DPC), a subsidiary of Advanced Info Service (AIS), will be returning their 12.5 megahertz (MHz) of 1800MHz bandwidth each to CAT Telecom once their concessions end later this year.

Full story: http://www.zdnet.com...014-7000011230/

-- ZDNet 2013-02-13

Confusing...2G? many have told me that thailand has never actually had 3G although they sell it as such.

We've had 3G here for a few years.

This article is more about spectrum, 1,800MHz which TrueMove and DPC (a small part of the AIS company) currently have a concession for which ends Sep. 15, 2013. After that they are required to return to spectrum to the NBTC, presumably for award or auction. Obviously this will leave 17 million TrueMove customers without service! Anyway, this 1,800 MHz spectrum might ultimately end up being used for GSM, or LTE (4G), or some combination thereof.

Confusing...2G? many have told me that thailand has never actually had 3G although they sell it as such.

We've had 3G here for a few years.

This article is more about spectrum, 1,800MHz which TrueMove and DPC (a small part of the AIS company) currently have a concession for which ends Sep. 15, 2013. After that they are required to return to spectrum to the NBTC, presumably for award or auction. Obviously this will leave 17 million TrueMove customers without service! Anyway, this 1,800 MHz spectrum might ultimately end up being used for GSM, or LTE (4G), or some combination thereof.

I believe that actually 3G is only about a year old in Thailand. A few years ago True started offering a service they called 3G that was not actually 3G. Then last year when they actually did get 3G they had to call it "3G+" to make the distinction. On your phone it shows up as "True-H 3G." Other services, such as AIS are still offering less than genuine 3G service.

I believe that actually 3G is only about a year old in Thailand. A few years ago True started offering a service they called 3G that was not actually 3G. Then last year when they actually did get 3G they had to call it "3G+" to make the distinction. On your phone it shows up as "True-H 3G." Other services, such as AIS are still offering less than genuine 3G service.

DTAC and AIS launched 3G in/around July, 2011. These are genuine 3G services.

TrueMove had 3G starting back in 2009/10-ish. It was genuine 3G.

TOT launched 3G back in 2010/2011-ish. This is a genuine service.

CAT launched genuine 3G services back in May, 2011. TrueMove H is a reseller of CAT 3G services.

Again, just to be very clear, we've had genuine 3G service here for a few years.

Edited by lomatopo

CAT launched genuine 3G services back in May, 2011. TrueMove H is a reseller of CAT 3G services.

Again, just to be very clear, we've had genuine 3G service here for a few years.

This isn't what I was told by True. I had their "3G" for about a year in 2010 and then they sent me a message that they were coming out with "3G+." I had to go in and get a new sim card. When I asked what it was they said it was international standard 3G. I asked what I had before and they said it was "3G mai ching ching."

I was under the impression the first 3G by true was only Bangkok then they renamed it rue move h which took 3G to a wider audience

Down in krabi we have only had 3G for 12 -16 months,so yes they may have gad 3G 2-3 years but alot of that time it was only in Bangkok and 3 years down the line there is still not nationwide 3G coverage

I have set my phone to detect 3G when available. I live in downtown Bangkok and use AIS, and the phone says EDGE. When in Laos or Cambodia, I get 3G.

OK, I get it: AIS just doesn't have the right connections in Thailand, despite being the market leader. But what was that auction all about? Why did they agree to pay rather ampunts of money for the 3G licences if they have offered the service for a few years already?

I was under the impression the first 3G by true was only Bangkok then they renamed it rue move h which took 3G to a wider audience

Down in krabi we have only had 3G for 12 -16 months,so yes they may have gad 3G 2-3 years but alot of that time it was only in Bangkok and 3 years down the line there is still not nationwide 3G coverage

No, I did have the "pre-3G" from True up in Chiang Mai back in 2011.

2G or 4G or does this mean that others can bid on existing infrastructure?

Spectrum, yes. Infrastructure, no.

TrueMove and DPC are supposed to return 1,800 MHz spectrum to the NBTC when their current concession ends on 15 Sep. 2013. Then the NBTC would, in theory, auction this spectrum. Winning bidders could deploy GSM or LTE, as far as I know there is no linkage between technology/services and spectrum, but the "rules" can change here before/during/after events. wink.png

The NBTC had planned an auction for this spectrum next month (March, 2013) which would have allowed TrueMove a 'graceful' recovery - they could simply have purchased their existing spectrum and kept their 17 million subscribers 'intact'. Now, who knows? (Maybe the article is incorrect - Q3, 2013 for an auction?) Lot's of 'jockeying'. wink.png

Edited by lomatopo

This isn't what I was told by True. I had their "3G" for about a year in 2010 and then they sent me a message that they were coming out with "3G+." I had to go in and get a new sim card. When I asked what it was they said it was international standard 3G. I asked what I had before and they said it was "3G mai ching ching."

Well the technical people can tell u that the old 3G was on UMTS which was limited at about 7mbps and the one U changed your SIM for is on HSPA+ which can handle 42mbps.

It's all 3G

No, I did have the "pre-3G" from True up in Chiang Mai back in 2011.

I'm not talking about True, I'm talking abut AIS. No trace of 3G at all,and I am in downtown Bangkok.

I'm not talking about True, I'm talking abut AIS. No trace of 3G at all,and I am in downtown Bangkok.

What make/model is your phone?

AIS (post-paid)? One-2-Call (Pre-paid)?

Assuming it supports 900 MHz 3G, and that you have subscribed to a data plan, and have properly configured an APN then I'm having a hard time understanding why you can't get at least a trace of 3G?

I have set my phone to detect 3G when available. I live in downtown Bangkok and use AIS, and the phone says EDGE. When in Laos or Cambodia, I get 3G.

OK, I get it: AIS just doesn't have the right connections in Thailand, despite being the market leader. But what was that auction all about? Why did they agree to pay rather ampunts of money for the 3G licences if they have offered the service for a few years already?

It's nothing to do with AIS, as such - I'd be prepared to bet that it's your phone and provider are mis-matched. If you used a CAT, True or DTAC chip you'd see plenty of 3G. (And if you used the right handset with your AIS chip you'd also see 3G).

Edited by bobl

What make/model is your phone?

AIS (post-paid)? One-2-Call (Pre-paid)?

Assuming it supports 900 MHz 3G, and that you have subscribed to a data plan, and have properly configured an APN then I'm having a hard time understanding why you can't get at least a trace of 3G?

It's an LG-P698f (Dual SIM). It picks up 3G fine in Laos and Cambodia. I have local SIM cards there, so I am not talking about AIS roaming.

AIS post-paid. I have been a Serenade customer ever since they invented the category. I have used this number ever since they forced (?) me to give up the analog number and Thai mobile phones went all digital. It was about the late 1990s, IIRC.

Yes, I have a data plan. I called them a few months ago and said they I "should" receive a 3G signal, given that I also called from my office in downtown Bangkok where they said they have coverage.

My APN is "AIS Internet".

May it be a frequency issue with my phone? I used to have an iPhone 3, and there it clearly was an issue that it could not pick up the frequency on which AIS offers 3G, so I was told.

Only the other day AIS blamed my connection issues on the fact that they are only in a trial stage for 3G.

Edited by jbrain

It's nothing to do with AIS, as such - I'd be prepared to bet that it's your phone and provider are mis-matched. If you used a CAT, True or DTAC chip you'd see plenty of 3G. (And if you used the right handset with your AIS chip you'd also see 3G).

Well, I'll stick AIS for the time being, but I do believe it has to do with the phone. There are other reasons why I'm not too happy with the LG, but it was the only (non-fake) phone with dual SIM when I bought it.

I see that Samsung now offers the Galaxy Grand with dual SIM - has anybody tried it? Can you get 3G reception on AIS with it?