Sukhumbhand Re-Elected Bangkok Governor, Defeats Pongsapat In Major Upset

Lite Beer

Hmmm Thaksin said that the PTP would win this election even if they ran a light pole for the position. I wonder what he has to say now? Congratulations Sukhumbhand for a fine victory.

• Like 2

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite happy that the Governor has won reelection. Having Thaksin back in total control of the entire country felt like a catastrophe in the making.

Personally I respect the Governor and believe he works sincerely and intelligently to do the best that he can possibly do.

• Like 1

"...as Sukhumbhand’s victory speech played on nearby television, many Pheu Thai supporters took to yelling at the governor elect’s image. One woman even went so far as to strike the television with her shoe."

Is that because it was a shoe-in?

• Like 1

Bangkok Governor Elections

2009 4,150,103 voters, 2,120,721 votes cast
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		934,602		45.47%
2. Yuranun P.		PT		611,669		29.72%
3. ML Nattakorn		Indep.		334,846		16.17%
4. Kaewsan A.		Team KTP	144,779		7.03%

2013 4,244,465 voters, 2,715,640 votes cast (63.98%)
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		1,256,231	46.25
2. Pongsapat P.		PT		1,077,899	39.63
3. Seripisut T.		Indep.		166,582		6.13
4. Suharit S.		Indep.		78,825		2.90
All data on 2013 preliminary (of course)

Nice to hear the reds accepted defeat so well. How long before the "it was stolen from us" myths start to circulate?

We were watching the losers conference. My wife said one of the blokes was saying a lot of dead people voted. :rolleyes
and so it begins......

My initial reaction is that this will maintain a sort of balance in Bangkok politics.

Am I wrong ?

It really means the Red Shirt tried to influence and win the election by publish false poles so the people will get confuse and either vote for the winner of don't vote al all

Bangkok Governor Elections

2009 4,150,103 voters, 2,120,721 votes cast
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		934,602		45.47%
2. Yuranun P.		PT		611,669		29.72%
3. ML Nattakorn		Indep.		334,846		16.17%
4. Kaewsan A.		Team KTP	144,779		7.03%

2013 4,244,465 voters, 2,715,640 votes cast (63.98%)
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		1,256,231	46.25
2. Pongsapat P.		PT		1,077,899	39.63
3. Seripisut T.		Indep.		166,582		6.13
4. Suharit S.		Indep.		78,825		2.90
All data on 2013 preliminary (of course)

So he won by, 321,629 more than his last election.

or 134.4% compared to last time.

I remember the many polls and pols saying he was trailing by 20%....

As I have said several times before:

'Polls in Thailand can be tailored to the purchasers requirements.'

'Pols in Thailand can be purchased to the Liege-Lords requirements.'

But that doesn't mean all the people believe the polls or the pols.

Edited by animatic

'In the speech, both Pongsapat and the PM vowed to work closely with the Democrat-led BMA.'

Well at least the politicians behaved in a dignified fashion. I don't know if it will actually happen but we will have to wait and see.

Sukhumbhand would do well to make sure he does a good job and works as closely with the government as possible. I don't know if he can stand again but at the next election for governor the Dem's candidate will be judged by his performance.

• Like 1

As long as it keeps another PTP tw"i"t out of the BKK running, and Abhisit is still in control of some areas, I can only say today's result has made me smile, with a wide grin.

Up yours, Yinglick, and your confidence in the Bangkokians coming your way - for once, the people voted in the right direction.

-mel.

My wife used to like the Thai Rak Thai party but lost confidence before it became PTP. In the last year she is soooo down on Yingluck and the way the cost of living in Bangkok has doubled, that since 6:00pm she has been grinning and laughing. Very unThai but at least now she knows she is on the right team. Yingluck has been given the first insight into her perceived popularity. The spin doctors can't cover this one up.

• Like 2

Gen Pongsapat earlier congratulated his Democrat rival for securing the City Hall office for a second term, promising to work with Sukhumbhand for a better life for Bangkokians.

Makes me wonder if he is wanted?

Mind you if she came walking I feel sorry for her three young kids who came with her to vote too.

No photo, but I would almost bet that the boy would be wearing sunglasses :-)

Good call, but you should have included the entire clan wearing sunglasses, indoors, on an overcast, rainy day outdoors.

sunglasses_zpsc2230c15.png

sunglasses3_zps35b69994.png

Although I'd have to believe the four billionaires were all chauffeur-driven, they did have to struggle with managing a Mercedes Benz umbrella on their own, but that just proves they're not elite. rolleyes.gif

sunglasses2_zps23495732.png

Is the 4th dependant Oaf's significant other?

Sorry for not being clearer, the four billionaires cited were Potjaman and her 3 children.

The straggler on the far left in the photo is Potjaman's son-in-law, Nuttaphong Kunakornwong (husband of daughter Pintongta, far right).

Although after their marriage, he was honorarily put into the position of Deputy CEO of Thaksin's SC Asset Corp., I don't believe he's a billionaire in his right, as the other four individually are.

Are these the so called Elites of Bangkok many TV voters always talk about?

• Like 2

As long as it keeps another PTP tw"i"t out of the BKK running, and Abhisit is still in control of some areas, I can only say today's result has made me smile, with a wide grin.

Up yours, Yinglick, and your confidence in the Bangkokians coming your way - for once, the people voted in the right direction.

-mel.

My wife used to like the Thai Rak Thai party but lost confidence before it became PTP. In the last year she is soooo down on Yingluck and the way the cost of living in Bangkok has doubled, that since 6:00pm she has been grinning and laughing. Very unThai but at least now she knows she is on the right team. Yingluck has been given the first insight into her perceived popularity. The spin doctors can't cover this one up.

Well, the Shins were certainly ready for a party with their polished sunglasses.

• Like 1

Nice to hear the reds accepted defeat so well. How long before the "it was stolen from us" myths start to circulate?

We were watching the losers conference. My wife said one of the blokes was saying a lot of dead people voted. :rolleyes:

If that's the case, then the other thread about Police manning booths, having counters and cameras to prevent electoral fraud, must have been a crock.

-mel.

Ditto. Mine said she believed he would help the people everywhere. Then decided the south wasn't part of everywhere

We were watching the losers conference. My wife said one of the blokes was saying a lot of dead people voted. rolleyes.gif

If that's the case, then the other thread about Police manning booths, having counters and cameras to prevent electoral fraud, must have been a crock.

One might wonder how the results would have been if Aunty Thida would have been in charge of preventing electoral fraud by sending 10,000 red shirts to the voting stations.

• Like 1

We were watching the losers conference. My wife said one of the blokes was saying a lot of dead people voted. rolleyes.gif
make a great zombie movie 'night of the living dead voters: this time it's electoral'...on the other hand.....
  • Like 1

What a smack in the face to Pheu Thai Party which had expended much money and effort.

It's also a warning to Pheu Thai Party they don't have the pubic support they expected and the next national elections might tip them out.

Well I hope the guy enjoys his day of fame on Tvisa because doesn't look good for the future!!,,,,,,,I could swear there are photographs of Thaksins' famiy on this celebratory thread.......how extremely bizarre....

One might wonder how the results would have been if Aunty Thida would have been in charge of preventing electoral fraud by sending 10,000 red shirts to the voting stations.

might have been ok if they could have refrained from burning them down