• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be 273 ThB in Chonburi

So if one day holiday in the week : 365 - 52 x 273 : 12 = 7121 ThB

Nope,

300 Baht in Chonburi.

Not sure for bar staff, but any girl rocking up to the labor department saying she's not getting her 300 Baht can get her employer in deep dodo...

But indeed, eventhough overheads have increased significently, many of the increases of the end user prices are not in relation to overheads but much higher, translating in places increasing profit margins.

This said, if feeling bad about prices, head over to any European touristy type of place and report back, especially for those interested in pay for play :lol:

A bit of common sense and smart shopping (without being a cheap charlie) will see you at a quality of life level much higher then what you would get back home on the same disposable income....

Although I do admit getting hold of sufficient quantities of 10 Baht coins to fund your transport requirements can be quite stressful...

Friday night I visited Soi Cowboy in Bangkok and stopped at a bar on the left side of Soi CB on the very south end as you are heading south. They had a limited buffet for 200 baht if you bought a beer. I was hungry so I ordered a Leo and got my food. When I got my check, the beer was 160 baht. Never again. $5.50 for a Leo is absurd and I will never do business at this bar again. Even if I'm starving to death. I guess it's my fault to a point because I never asked the price of a beer. I ASSumed it would be about 120 baht.

I think you've hit the nail on the head on how to get around this Patekatek.......

If we ask the price first, we then have the choice to pay it or walk away; but it's just a pain in the ass having to ask all the time (and I don't just mean in Katoey bars).

I agree with a lot of the other posts though; it's just taking the p*ss

In most Go-Go bars, draught beer is 60 -70 baht: except at The Classroom. Me & 3 of my mates take every opportunity to go in and ask how much the beer is then leave clutching our hearts and wallets.

The drinks prices in Pattaya pale in comparison to Singapore, on a recent trip to Singapore i was charged S$66 for two lady drinks and a half pint of Tiger (which is brewed there) I will have nightmares about this for a long time!!!shock1.gif

one could say the same about monte carlo,Switzeraland etc etc,we are taling abnout pattaya not bloody Singapore,name thrower

Pattaya Bar Prices are no higher or different than anywhere else in Thailand.

If you don't know what prices are; ask for a Drink Menu if available, or ask how much for a certain drink. Many Bars have Happy Hour and other special prices for certain drinks. Premium Drinks and Lady Drinks are often more expensive to make up for the low priced "Specials".

But always Ask.

You can get charged a seperate price at some places for a whisky and a coke as an example or just a set drink price. See the drink menu or Ask.

Bars that are basically empty with pretty girls sitting alone is often a dead giveaway that, the bar there is higer price.

Choose a Bar full of patrons. You will find prices there are often more reasonable, but as always: ask how much.

Many of the cheaper priced bars will even have live bands etc.

I often will pay a higher price at a Go Go where they will have a Great Show. Also at Go Go's, look for the special priced drinks like a Draft for a reasonable price.

Just check around and you will be happy.

Value for Money is whatever makes a particular customer Happy. If one is not Happy, don't go back to that establishment.

• Like 1

Forgot to say....

I have decided to go back to the days when I thought bar prices were too high at music festivals in the UK; I'm going to start carrying around a wee bottle of vodka in my wife's bag and do it the cheap charlie way! Kee Neeow!!

When I was a teenager and I went to the cinema alone, I would take a flask filled with cold orange juice, and sweets and crisps, but then, I'm a Scot.

One could always sit on the beach side of Beach Road with their own bottle or store bought.

Guess that beats sitting on Soi Nana or Cowboy area in Bangkok with the Tuk Tuk and Motorcy Taxi drivers drinking Lao Kaow.

And the View on Beach Road has gotten much better over the years.

Edited by KimoMax

Forgot to say....

I have decided to go back to the days when I thought bar prices were too high at music festivals in the UK; I'm going to start carrying around a wee bottle of vodka in my wife's bag and do it the cheap charlie way! Kee Neeow!!

When I was a teenager and I went to the cinema alone, I would take a flask filled with cold orange juice, and sweets and crisps, but then, I'm a Scot.

I still do!

300 Baht in Chonburi.

Sorry I gived wrong information( 273 Baht) picked it up from here :

http://www.nateelaw.com/news.htm

its 300 baht now across the country.

however bar staff can be paid less as there is also commission structure, ie cut from the drinks sold.

i wonder though does the 300 baht include the food? there is no law which states employer must provide free food for staff.

Employer can always pay 250 and 50 is food, so monthly salary of 9000 can be made into 7500baht.

Sorry little off topic wai2.gif

One could always sit on the beach side of Beach Road with their own bottle or store bought.

Guess that beats sitting on Soi Nana or Cowboy area in Bangkok with the Tuk Tuk and Motorcy Taxi drivers drinking Lao Kaow.

From what I have observed, theres plenty doing that already, can someone please explain, whats the deal with drinking large Changs through a straw?

As for the view, take it the guide dog wasnt with you.

Surrounded by other Cheap Charlie farangs, over the hill ladies, ladyboys and other assorted Thai riff raff.

A better view can be had watching the cheapskates as they go for their evening constitutional and a quick perv at the goods on offer, or watching first timers trying to do business.

From what I have observed, theres plenty doing that already, can someone please explain, whats the deal with drinking large Changs through a straw?

Surrounded by other Cheap Charlie farangs, over the hill ladies, ladyboys and other assorted Thai riff raff.

A better view can be had watching the cheapskates as they go for their evening constitutional and a quick perv at the goods on offer, or watching first timers trying to do business.

Oh but you have forgotten the sea view.

Nice floating crap freshly released from the sewer pipe

• Like 1

300 Baht in Chonburi.

Sorry I gived wrong information( 273 Baht) picked it up from here :

http://www.nateelaw.com/news.htm

its 300 baht now across the country.

however bar staff can be paid less as there is also commission structure, ie cut from the drinks sold.

i wonder though does the 300 baht include the food? there is no law which states employer must provide free food for staff.

Employer can always pay 250 and 50 is food, so monthly salary of 9000 can be made into 7500baht.

Sorry little off topic wai2.gif

You are right I believe.

A friend of mine in the restaurant/bar business said the minimum wage was flexible for him as they do indeed get comissions.

Having said that they were getting the equivalent of the minimum wage anyhow as were many of the girls in the more populated bars.

the minimum wage should have no real impact on prices.

As I noted before there are still a lot of places busy and with low prices, the high priced ones are usually empty!

Those "staff wanted" wage signs can be pretty misleading. Beer bar girls usually get 3,000 to 4,000 a month. If the sign offers an "astounding" 5,000 a month, the girls have to meet quite high lady drink/bar fine quotas before they get that. But in the end, what you have to remember is that the BGs end up with much less because of lateness or no-show fines. I would think this applies in the go-go bars too. So I think bars raising prices because of the wage hikes is a load of crap.

I hardly go out anymore except with the GF, but as far as big complexes go, the New Plaza area and Rhompo Market area in Jomtien are about as cheap as you will find with a little entertainment thrown in such as TV sports and free pool, plus the service is decent and there's a wide variety of bars so you should be able to find one that suits you. I prefer Jomtien. A little more laid back. Although during the recent high season, some bars were rocking a little too loud for my tastes with karaoke and DJ setups. And the other night, outside one bar, a fully outfitted low-riding pickup festooned with an over-amped speaker system sent bass shockwaves around the south side bars. Maybe Jomtien is about to be overrun by Pattaya Style.

I bought a San Muguel Lite for about 100 baht in one of the bars in the Frog Bar complex in January. Bought a lady drink - she helped herself to an SM Lite also, and that was 150bt. The poor girl was embarrased.

With an exchange rate of 43 THB to the GBP and probably heading for less that 40 THB, I'm done with Pattaya and Thailand. I feel sorry for the ex pats who are stuck there. Off to pastures new.

Coupled to the floods, lousy traffic, pesky ladyboys etc, Pattaya is a busted flush.

Nice to check in on this forum from time to time though. I hope it improves again.

Off to Cebu in Phils again soon.

• Like 1

But having said that, there are some cheap places to drink. I can mention the Rock House Bar in LK Metro where a decent sized draft was (and probably still is) 39 THB.

A few of the gogos do large drafts for 50-70. But of course you have to keep your hands to yourself and only speak when your spoken to to avoid those LD's !!

Yep. 180 baht is $6 USD. Pricey in average run of the mill USA bars. I have rarely enjoyed drinking any hard liquor in Thailand. Vodka and OJ? Maybe. But they use Vodka of who knows what quality, and use very small amount and the "OJ" is usually some crap concentrate or mix that has sat out at room temperature for days. Really is a detraction from all my trips.

Yep. 180 baht is $6 USD. Pricey in average run of the mill USA bars. I have rarely enjoyed drinking any hard liquor in Thailand. Vodka and OJ? Maybe. But they use Vodka of who knows what quality, and use very small amount and the "OJ" is usually some crap concentrate or mix that has sat out at room temperature for days. Really is a detraction from all my trips.

Thanks gk10002000 (=Fred?), I'm kind of figuring that I simply need to revise my drinking strategy (pains me to say that whilst living in LOS); part of that new strategy, perhaps, is having the little bottle of vodka hidden in my inside pocket biggrin.png

At a Pattaya hotel a few years ago, a large beer was 240 bht. A glass of Red wine came out at 350bht, 7 UK pounds. w00t.gif

not really helpful

may I suggest you ask the price before ordering a drink - they make it up as they go along unless as any retail outlet should have - a price list

This is a tourist town and you've got to assume everyone is trying to rip you off - co0nsider yourself ripped off

I actually sat by the beach the other Saturday. I met up with a friend and we were in a bar by the beach road near Soi 8. It was so noisy we went to the 7/11 and bought a couple of drinks and sat on one of the concrete 'seats' they provide by the beach.

There were some really pretty girls there, not wanting you to buy them LD's, nor pay a bar fine. My friend did eventually go home with one girl for 700 baht long time. I am married and had to go home!!. Still it was a very pleasant few hours, we could talk without all the row of the music and we were left alone by pushy bar-girls. It also only cost me about 20 baht for a couple of bottles of water. I was so impressed I may become a 'cheap charlie'.

The downsides were the Eastern European prostitutes who seemed to attract large groups of Indians who just pushed you out of the way and spat a lot. Also a few rats tried to 'befriend' me and there was a lot of exhaust fumes from the traffic.

Hey, you have to feel sorry for someone like me who does not drink alcohol. Not only is my life not as exciting as when I used to drink, but in the GoGos I tend to pay more for my water than the others pay for their beers. For example I typically pay 85 baht (Oasis and other GoGos Soi Bukao ), for a bottle of water that costs 6 baht ??? in a 7/11. My drinking friends pay about 65 baht for a beer.

Still no complaints, the price is always worth the entertainment offered.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I bought a San Muguel Lite for about 100 baht in one of the bars in the Frog Bar complex in January. Bought a lady drink - she helped herself to an SM Lite also, and that was 150bt. The poor girl was embarrased.

With an exchange rate of 43 THB to the GBP and probably heading for less that 40 THB, I'm done with Pattaya and Thailand. I feel sorry for the ex pats who are stuck there. Off to pastures new.

Coupled to the floods, lousy traffic, pesky ladyboys etc, Pattaya is a busted flush.

Nice to check in on this forum from time to time though. I hope it improves again.

Off to Cebu in Phils again soon.

What makes you think she was embarrassed? and last time i checked in Angeles, price for LD San Mig was 280 pesos and she did not even get the bottle, but into a wine glass, ie the full bottle would be 560 pesos

I actually sat by the beach the other Saturday. I met up with a friend and we were in a bar by the beach road near Soi 8. It was so noisy we went to the 7/11 and bought a couple of drinks and sat on one of the concrete 'seats' they provide by the beach.

There were some really pretty girls there, not wanting you to buy them LD's, nor pay a bar fine. My friend did eventually go home with one girl for 700 baht long time. I am married and had to go home!!. Still it was a very pleasant few hours, we could talk without all the row of the music and we were left alone by pushy bar-girls. It also only cost me about 20 baht for a couple of bottles of water. I was so impressed I may become a 'cheap charlie'.

The downsides were the Eastern European prostitutes who seemed to attract large groups of Indians who just pushed you out of the way and spat a lot. Also a few rats tried to 'befriend' me and there was a lot of exhaust fumes from the traffic.

Hey, you have to feel sorry for someone like me who does not drink alcohol. Not only is my life not as exciting as when I used to drink, but in the GoGos I tend to pay more for my water than the others pay for their beers. For example I typically pay 85 baht (Oasis and other GoGos Soi Bukao ), for a bottle of water that costs 6 baht ??? in a 7/11. My drinking friends pay about 65 baht for a beer.

Still no complaints, the price is always worth the entertainment offered.biggrin.png

I am having really hard time believing that a really pretty girl went for 700 baht long time, but i guess beauty is in the eyes of beholder.

PS. Have you seen your friend again? is he missing some of his staff by any chance?

Pretty girls and on the beach in one sentence is an oxymoron, but as another poster said already beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Where do u live in Thailand,and have u paid much less???

SOunds over the top but not extreme,Pattaya aint cheap unless u know where to go

I would definitely say you got screwed. Many of the nice bars along 2nd Road charge 60 baht for vodka (Smirnoff) drinks from 7:00am to 7:00pm, when they then go to 90 baht.

For the guys complaining about Pattaya beer prices please give Malaysia a miss. A small Tiger beer sells for the equivalent of 100 baht in a cheap 7-11. Thailand and Cambodia is the place for heavy drinkers to be!!

Nope it ain't.

If beer is your thing, head over to the Phillipines, In the nightlife city of Angeles you pay between 60 and 100 pesos (45 - 75 Baht) for a bottled San Mig light, and this is in airconditioned go-go bars.

If I'm not mistaken, a bottle of SML in a 7/11 is 20P, or 15 Baht....

But what you save on Beer you have to dish out on expensive Rooms

If you don't know what prices are; ask for a Drink Menu if available, or ask how much for a certain drink. Many Bars have Happy Hour and other special prices for certain drinks. Premium Drinks and Lady Drinks are often more expensive to make up for the low priced "Specials".

But always Ask.

You can get charged a seperate price at some places for a whisky and a coke as an example or just a set drink price. See the drink menu or Ask.

Bars that are basically empty with pretty girls sitting alone is often a dead giveaway that, the bar there is higer price.

Choose a Bar full of patrons. You will find prices there are often more reasonable, but as always: ask how much.

I often will pay a higher price at a Go Go where they will have a Great Show. Also at Go Go's, look for the special priced drinks like a Draft for a reasonable price.

Value for Money is whatever makes a particular customer Happy. If one is not Happy, don't go back to that establishment.

You know nothing of prices outside of patts,BKK,etc. Up country a large leo is ususlly 70-80baht. For whiskey bring your own and pay 40 baht for mixers.

But always Ask.

You know nothing of prices outside of patts,BKK,etc. Up country a large leo is ususlly 70-80baht. For whiskey bring your own and pay 40 baht for mixers.

Seems you know nothing of Pattaya prices.

There are a number of bars right in town where you can get large Leo 55B free ice.

Up country or even in my soi on the Darkside many bars restaurants have pricing as above.

Living in the sticks may work out cheaper cos there is f all to do, but falang food and drink is cheaper here smile.png