Are You Discouraged With The Negativity On Thaivisa? Suggestions Here:

infinity11

harrry, on 11 Mar 2013 - 21:23, said:

The diference between a forum and a classified site is that a classified site is to provide information....a forum is to build and sustain a community. I would say you may have been only into posting as an information site SeaVisionsBurma for many years but you are now making your contribution to making it a community.

Communities have arguments,discusions. greetings,blowing off steam, and commenting and criticising as well as straight information.

Good post harrry - and a fair comment.

I guess my earlier post was to query a first time poster who had just joined stated quite clearly that they were here to comment and criticize.

The title of this thread is "are you discouraged with the negativity on thaivisa"

One wonders if the negativity is due to too many of the posters just being here to criticize, and not to contribute anything positive. Seriously, please think about that point.

I understand this is a community - it has been a part of my life for a decade - but I want to live in a community that isn't just about criticizing. A community should be more than that, which is the point I am trying to make.

Criticize doesn't have to be negative by nature, criticize can also be positive.

Criticizing is healthy in a community

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all missing my point. Criticising is fine, but it shouldn't be the only reason you're on a forum.

Geddit?

I understand what your saying BUT, some lawyers total life is defending the guilty, l see know difference if a guy joins to do his stuff here within the rules.

• Like 1

You're all missing my point. Criticising is fine, but it shouldn't be the only reason you're on a forum.

Geddit?

Well looking at the Donnie post you took to comment on......I can see 3 positives and one admission that there maybe criticism (postive or negative) but let us say negative............so you picked up on the one negative...(admittedly after telling him you hoped he enjoyed the forum) so the question the op would suggest is why did you choose to be negative, especially to a first poster...why did you not stop after your first comment?

In fairness, there are a lot of supid questions asked, a lot of questions that can be answered by searching.

There is also a great deal of confrontation between the old school and the new arrivals, money and no money, the lazy and the diy'ers. Lots of very sarcastic comments about Thai women (some hit the mark) usually provided by a guy that could never land a date let alone a wife or gf in his own country.

We come from different stations, culture, education, vocation/profession, military service or lack of.

Some have big hearts, some small. Some big open minds, some small closed minds.

Many have washed ashore, counting their days till they pass. Othets actively chose to be here and live evertly minute of it as their finances allow.

Many obviously still belly up to the gogo bars and pay retail for their companions. Others have seen that the best of these days long past, esp with all sorts of incurable and deadly disease floating. Its not just passe' its just not longer a quality experience. More likely to end in some aggro than be a pleasant experience, to which is asked what sort of person bothers with this?

People jump to a lot if stupid conclusions, make a lot of assumptions. I for one get tited of people asking the same stupid questions obviously wo searching. OK maybe fresh opinion is needed, but often not.

There is a real failure of people to not school themselves in the Thai or expat experience and then run to the board with all and sundry rumor, speculation, trival question...

Then there ate the trolls. I have a rule, if OP has less than 100 posts, I don't bother to respond if the question looks like trollbait whatsoever.

It is a very diverse group of people.

Oh the irony.

Geddit?

Well looking at the Donnie post you took to comment on......I can see 3 positives and one admission that there maybe criticism (postive or negative) but let us say negative............so you picked up on the one negative...(admittedly after telling him you hoped he enjoyed the forum) so the question the op would suggest is why did you choose to be negative, especially to a first poster...why did you not stop after your first comment?

I agree with the both of you. Criticising is a positive/constructive way to personally judge someone's opinion.wink.png

Isn't it...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot

SVB's "welcome" came with a soft core lecture that some of you picked up on immediately.

It is most telling to a first-time poster and long-time resident to see that several of you picked up on this somewhat hectoring admonishment.

Cantankerous patronizing swipes and members' reactions to them surely account for at least some of what is, I assume, loosely termed as "negativity" on Thai Visa.

• Like 1

SVB's "welcome" came with a soft core lecture that some of you picked up on immediately. It is most telling to a first-time poster and long-time resident to see that several of you picked up on this somewhat hectoring admonishment. Cantankerous patronizing swipes and members' reactions to them surely account for at least some of what is, I assume, loosely termed as "negativity" on Thai Visa.

Only a very small part I would say and not I suspect the crux of the OP. The 'negativity' on Tvisa forum will never fade, the core thinking of two differing angles will ensure there is and are accusations of negativity. On the one side posters who are quite happy to go with the flow and accept Thailand as it ia and are quite comfortable to allow Thailand to develop in its own time and own way. Then there is the other side who refuse to understand how Thailand arrived at where it is today, why the Thai attitude differs from their own, and demand instant change to fabricate Thailand into the country they chose to leave...........of course there are also those who take the middle road but they tend to be less vociferous

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best to find the posters you find sensible and pm them, otherwise it seems that any post will attract stupid sarcastic responses. As mentioned in other posts, this is a fact on all public forums where everyone is anonymous.

If you can avoid the General, FarangPub, and News section, people there are quite daft and rude, but the rest are not that bad. Those 3 sections are not for everyone, esp female participants.
May be if we have our real face in avatar, many comments might improve in the quality "just a bit"?wink.png