Phuket Opinion: Get On The Bus

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Get on the bus
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_The_Gazette_encourages_everyo
The Gazette encourages everyone to try the new airport-to-beaches buses. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: There is only one way that breakthrough projects such as Phuket’s first airport-to-beaches bus service get up and running, and that is if everyone in the community gets behind it and supports it. That means: use it. Get on the bus and go to work, to the beach, to see a friend, a movie or even spend a night on the town – just use it.

The more people who use the buses, the more buses there will be and the cheaper the fares will become. It really is that simple.

At 50 baht each way for an air-conditioned trip between the major beaches, there is no excuse. And no parking hassles when you reach your destination.

The buses are scheduled to start at 9am and continue past midnight each day. This of course means they are of little value for office workers, but Phuket is a tourism destination. Thousands of hospitality staff will be able to use the buses to commute.

It also means far fewer tourists need to risk life and limb on motorbikes to get over the hills between Patong, Karon and Kata. It also means no excuse for drunk driving along the west coast. At 50 baht a journey, those who injure themselves inebriated while the buses are still running only have themselves to blame.

As this issue went to print, the sides of the buses were still blank. Anywhere else in the world, businesses would be queuing up to get their advertisements there with such public exposure.

These new Phuket buses will be seen all the way from the airport to one of the southernmost beaches on the island, and right through the center of Patong, the tourism heart of the island with a catchment area of about 70 per cent of all guest rooms in Phuket. It’s difficult to think of any billboard on the island that offers more exposure.

For Phuket, the real sticking point is the taxi drivers. A Kata-Karon taxi and tuk-tuk driver plainly warned about launching the new buses. “Just try it,” he said.

If everyone uses the buses as people do elsewhere in Thailand, and the world over, these drivers will pick up short-haul travellers of the kind envied by taxi drivers everywhere. Short journey, large percentage gain. This will preserve the drivers’ jobs and alleviate any angst about the new buses. It’s hard to rally a mob when you’re busy making money.

In our desire to support this landmark development, we urge everyone to report any acts of violence or intimidation against this new public service. In this era of citizen journalism, nearly every person on Phuket with a mobile phone can photograph or even video record any event at a moment’s notice. Let us know about any incidents and we will report them to the police.

Whether or not we have cheap, reliable transport the likes of which people enjoy across the globe is really down to us. Get on board. Just try it.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Get-on-the-bus-20511.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-03-17

"At 50 baht each way for an air-conditioned trip between the major beaches, there is no excuse. And no parking hassles when you reach your destination."

I thought I read 150 baht in that other news article ?

But you have the addition expense of renting the Kevlar rolleyes.gif

"At 50 baht each way for an air-conditioned trip between the major beaches, there is no excuse. And no parking hassles when you reach your destination."

150B for the maximum distance (Kata to the Airport).

50B for shortest hops.

I can not read the text, but it gives the idea

rate3x.jpg

Source: http://phuketairportbusexpress.com/en/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%AA

150B for the maximum distance (Kata to the Airport).

50B for shortest hops.

I can not read the text, but it gives the idea

rate3x.jpg

Source: http://phuketairportbusexpress.com/en/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%AA

Airport

Bom Muang Mai (don't know what that is, sorry)

Talang

Tha Rua - Monument

Boat Lagoon (Resort)

Lotus Intersection

Kathu Intersection

Patong Sayok

Karon Beach

Kata Beach

Edited by Songhua

I hope it is successful but the report has put a little too much emphasis on providing a safe trip home for the drunken part of the community. I would imagine that is going to put a lot of potential passengers off using the service.

I think families and couples will use the bus by day, and the drunken sex tourists will use it by night. The two will rarely meet. Shouldn't be a problem.

The passengers at night will be funny. A lot of guys getting onboard with their bargirls for the night. Everyone looking at the attractiveness of who's been "picked up" and comparing them against what they have "pick up." :)

I'm guessing about 85% of passengers will be using the bus as transport along the coast, rather than an airport service.

I think the news article quite rightly puts emphasis on the bus now providing an affordable and safe journey home. So many have died on motorbikes here, late at night, with alcohol a factor in many of the accidents.

Edited by NamKangMan

I hope it is successful but the report has put a little too much emphasis on providing a safe trip home for the drunken part of the community. I would imagine that is going to put a lot of potential passengers off using the service.

I think families and couples will use the bus by day, and the drunken sex tourists will use it by night. The two will rarely meet. Shouldn't be a problem.

The passengers at night will be funny. A lot of guys getting onboard with their bargirls for the night. Everyone looking at the attractiveness of who's been "picked up" and comparing them against what they have "pick up." :)

I'm guessing about 85% of passengers will be using the bus as transport along the coast, rather than an airport service.

I think the news article quite rightly puts emphasis on the bus now providing an affordable and safe journey home. So many have died on motorbikes here, late at night, with alcohol a factor in many of the accidents.

it might be an idea to have a pensioner card too

I think the Gazette should've used my picture from another thread to indicate the kind of reception these buses will get en route to Patong:

post-35489-0-69652400-1363450645.jpg

Pic from The Gauntlet, with Clint Eastwood. One of my favorites.

How long have we been waiting for this to happen this a tentative step in the right direction and I hope it is allowed to run if it gets off to a good start with good publicity it won't be easy for outside forces to disrupt the service there has been money spent ,route's planed,fares worked out I just hope it is given the chance to get going

Everyone is watching to see how this pans out.

The permission to run the route should come tomorrow and the start of the service is scheduled to be on this Friday.

They had buses in Pattaya as well.............................now they have only busstops left.

Rule31 newspaper reported that the the permission to run the route was not decided today.. and next meeting is going to be on May 15th..

That's about it. Well done Phuket, well done, once again.

Rule31 newspaper reported that the the permission to run the route was not decided today.. and next meeting is going to be on May 15th..

Just appeared on the news source that can be quoted.

Fear of attacks by tuktuk and taxi drivers, especially those in Kata and Karon.

Just shows what a lawless place this actually is and how gutless, spineless and powerless the "official" politicians in Phuket are.

• Like 1

Just appeared on the news source that can be quoted.

Fear of attacks by tuktuk and taxi drivers, especially those in Kata and Karon.

Just shows what a lawless place this actually is and how gutless, spineless and powerless the "official" politicians in Phuket are.

As stated before, Phuket is run BY criminals, FOR criminals.

Another sad day for common sense, and the tourism industry, on Phuket.