Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

LennyW keeps saying treehuggers are whining. Do you like that they took down fully grown trees? I wonder if people who defend this disaster of new Beach Rd ever get out of cars and walk there.

It is so strange to ruin the only place in town where people can walk. Beach road is the only nice place to walk here, it's not like we could move one street up and walk there, there is no other place like in Pataya.

Pattaya isnt car friendly, but it is even worse for people who like to walk. So even if the new car lane will ease traffic, that is not good enough reason to wreck the boulevard. Pattaya is not LA, it is not supposed to be city of highways, where cars have priority. Good city planning should be about more walk ways, cars should be parked at city limits and people should walk, or take baht bus, public transport.

If cars take priority in beach town, then why not ease the traffic even further, put the pavement on the sand and do away with beach. I mean we could fit maybe 7 lanes there.

To all drivers, why not move to town and have less need for car? If you dont do that, and live outside Pattaya and need to drive everywhere you go, at least please dont cheer when our only boulevard is wrecked.

I was not defending anything - just stating the facts

Do you not understand this....."I have no opinion either way - i just wish the continual whining from the tree hugger brigade would stop, it's getting rather tedious especially since nobody with the power to do anything about it cares a jot."

You can go on and on and on about it, nothing will change - buy a big hat, adapt and survive!!

You are exerting an opinion, even though you may not see it. Buying a big hat is a lousy solution. A possible solution for future generations is for the City to uproot the palm trees and plant shade trees. And if security is an issue, pay the "cops" to patrol the area. As an aside, does anyone actually think the police are watching the beach via those high-placed cameras? I doubt it. They are probably playing cards, watching TV, eating somtom, drinking whiskey, etc. If you want to "adapt and survive," I strongly suggest that you discover why trees are so valuable. Let me add to what one poster said...trees absorb CO2 (critical in a period of global warming), release oxygen (some of us actually need that), provide shade, provide shelter for all kinds of animals, and help to prevent erosion. Nothing will change if we decide that nothing will change.

LennyW keeps saying treehuggers are whining. Do you like that they took down fully grown trees? I wonder if people who defend this disaster of new Beach Rd ever get out of cars and walk there.

It is so strange to ruin the only place in town where people can walk. Beach road is the only nice place to walk here, it's not like we could move one street up and walk there, there is no other place like in Pataya.

Pattaya isnt car friendly, but it is even worse for people who like to walk. So even if the new car lane will ease traffic, that is not good enough reason to wreck the boulevard. Pattaya is not LA, it is not supposed to be city of highways, where cars have priority. Good city planning should be about more walk ways, cars should be parked at city limits and people should walk, or take baht bus, public transport.

If cars take priority in beach town, then why not ease the traffic even further, put the pavement on the sand and do away with beach. I mean we could fit maybe 7 lanes there.

To all drivers, why not move to town and have less need for car? If you dont do that, and live outside Pattaya and need to drive everywhere you go, at least please dont cheer when our only boulevard is wrecked.

Do you not understand this....."I have no opinion either way - i just wish the continual whining from the tree hugger brigade would stop, it's getting rather tedious especially since nobody with the power to do anything about it cares a jot."

You can go on and on and on about it, nothing will change - buy a big hat, adapt and survive!!

You are exerting an opinion, even though you may not see it. Buying a big hat is a lousy solution. A possible solution for future generations is for the City to uproot the palm trees and plant shade trees. And if security is an issue, pay the "cops" to patrol the area. As an aside, does anyone actually think the police are watching the beach via those high-placed cameras? I doubt it. They are probably playing cards, watching TV, eating somtom, drinking whiskey, etc. If you want to "adapt and survive," I strongly suggest that you discover why trees are so valuable. Let me add to what one poster said...trees absorb CO2 (critical in a period of global warming), release oxygen (some of us actually need that), provide shade, provide shelter for all kinds of animals, and help to prevent erosion. Nothing will change if we decide that nothing will change.

Not a fan of NSA, but a fan of security and realize CCTV is an effective police tool. It is not important if the monitors are necessarily manned 24/7 but the video is recorded for future reference, just like Boston Marathon bombers recordings. Imagine if the Tsarnaev brothers were hidden by your shade trees. You don't get it, the security issue will trump your shade trees arguments everytime. Ever notice how people walk along the beach at night (in Jomtien too) feeling safe and enjoying and swimming in the water. The lights are so bright you can read a newspaper.

Pattaya isnt car friendly, but it is even worse for people who like to walk. So even if the new car lane will ease traffic, that is not good enough reason to wreck the boulevard.  Pattaya is not LA, it is not supposed to be city of highways, where cars have priority. Good city planning should be about more walk ways, cars should be parked at city limits and people should walk, or take baht bus, public transport.

To all drivers, why  not move to town and have less need for car? If you dont do that, and live outside Pattaya and need to drive everywhere you go, at least please dont cheer when our only boulevard is wrecked.

You are exerting an opinion, even though you may not see it.  Buying a big hat is a lousy solution.  A possible solution for future generations is for the City to uproot the palm trees and plant shade trees.  And if security is an issue, pay the "cops" to patrol the area.  As an aside, does anyone actually think the police are  watching the beach via  those high-placed cameras?  I doubt it. They are probably playing cards, watching TV, eating somtom, drinking whiskey, etc. If you want to "adapt and survive," I strongly suggest that you discover why trees are so valuable.  Let me add to what one poster said...trees absorb CO2 (critical in a period of global warming), release oxygen (some of us actually need that), provide shade, provide shelter for all kinds of animals, and help to prevent erosion.  Nothing will change if we decide that nothing will change.

Global warming, lol, you are just too funny:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not a fan of NSA, but a fan of security and realize CCTV is an effective police tool. It is not important if the monitors are necessarily manned 24/7 but the video is recorded for future reference,

I have yet to hear of one thats right not one arrest because of the CCTV cameras on beach road.
The CCTV cameras dont seem to slow down the ladyboys in action on beach road to

much....I would be happy to make a small wager that the CCTVs work about as good as the

cross walk lights......

Edited by fforest1

FYI, the present road is built on what used to be the beach, so I'd have no problem with them reclaiming more land to build a multi lane road that went all the way past Bali Hi which would solve the congestion problem on 2nd rd provided they also built a new larger and improved promenade.

Given your comment, I have to assume that you think It was a good idea to remove the old-growth shade trees, right? The idea of sitting in the shade is stupid, right? Trees have little or no value, right? People need to be taught the value of trees at an early age so that they do not grow up ignorant of their value. It is unfortunate that so many people are completely disconnected from the life systems of the planet.

If you are through preaching, you may ask why your precious shade trees were replaced with attractive palms. One answer is security, for the CCTV cameras to do their job effectively, they require good lighting and unobstructed views. Security will always trump any argument you try to make about shade trees, and rightfully so.

SECURITY in PATTAYA cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What part of 'the yet to be completed Beach Road works' is so hard to grasp here.

Those that are posting progress pictures and snapshots of the new areas, please carry on. Those that walk on it for 15 minutes in the afternoon and then pass a long-winded whine about what is doesn't do for them, please cease and desist.

Understood, my good Sir.

Opinions and observations unwelcome on this thread.

Wilco

No, no my good friend. Observations and opinions are very welcome.

It is the absurd extrapolations and daft theorems that diverge from them that are tedious like the frequent commentary that there's "no planning" or that there's no seating (yet) and all we are ever going to get is spindly baby palm trees and no shade. There was almost a whole page wasted on comments that the jaggy concrete edges around the new tree planters were an "accident in progress" for the perambulator amongst us where in reality, they HAVEN'T FINISHED the bloody paving yet. As for the "I went for a walk yesterday lunchtime and it is way too hot" offerings. I mean where is it NOT hot in August in Pattaya?

Consider that the job is OFFICIALLY scheduled over 12 months then the assumption seems to be that since they have almost reached the WS entrance in less than 5 months, it must mean they are way ahead of schedule and what you see now is all you are going to get. Patience is a virtue. Don't base ALL your judgement on the stupendously bungled Pratumnak / Thappraya 'improvements'. That was a bloody disgrace.... still is.

Are you claiming that there are months in Pattaya when it is pleasantly cool, so that one can take a stroll in the sun?

Are you claiming that there are months in Pattaya when it is pleasantly cool, so that one can take a stroll in the sun?

Yes now is a good time, often clouded and windy, perfect.

I must say that I miss the old trees too, I prefer shade at all times.

They have also start to cut the old tress on Jomtien Beach heavily now but I hope they are only trimming them.

Inflammatory post and quoted replies removed, please see the following rules:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

Couple nights ago I walked the Promenade front Soi 8 and Central at about 9.30 PM. Nice easy walking there now though a bit strange to be able to see unimpeded so far down the well-lit pathway !! Security - security LOL

Past Central going south there was a pack of Coconuts sitting on a pallet of bricks stored along the new lane in front of the stairs going down to the sand.

It's also there that I took a picture looking down the Promenade as at that stairs area the camera view was more open.

One of the girls on the pallet objected violently at seemingly being included collaterally in the picture (there was a flash), threw her shoe at me and made for assaulting me.

Ugly scene. I stopped taking pictures and left the Promenade to go back to my favorite happy Soi 7.

I've deleted that picture. Don't want to be reminded of such unpleasantness !!

Be warned. No night pictures of the Promenade if it includes Coconuts and since they're all over, good luck !!

Actually I just wanted to contribute to this thread. Otherwise the last time I took night pictures on the (old) Promenade they were of my then TGF.two years ago.

Edited by jayceenik

They have also start to cut the old tress on Jomtien Beach heavily now but I hope they are only trimming them.

I just drove all the way to the end of Jomtien Beach. They have cut down virtually every large shade tree. Needless to say, that is upsetting to some of us. I noticed that the City is starting to "improve" the walkway, starting from the south end and are moving north. Trees are being felled and dozers are clearing the area. They are laying down bricks. Say goodbye the shade on Jomtien Beach. I would like to say something about what I think about the people behind it and those who support it, but I will refrain from doing that.

I just drove all the way to the end of Jomtien Beach. They have cut down virtually every large shade tree. Needless to say, that is upsetting to some of us. I noticed that the City is starting to "improve" the walkway, starting from the south end and are moving north. Trees are being felled and dozers are clearing the area. They are laying down bricks. Say goodbye the shade on Jomtien Beach. I would like to say something about what I think about the people behind it and those who support it, but I will refrain from doing that.

Your contribution to the "Global Warming" you worry so much about eh?

Edited by LennyW

I too drove to the end of Jomtien beach this morning, here's a few snaps of the "progress"

Don't know what the hell they are doing here.

post-2109-0-18447500-1377148524_thumb.jp

Wreking crew in action.

post-2109-0-06115000-1377148537_thumb.jppost-2109-0-84122900-1377148570_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-15826600-1377148592_thumb.jp

Maybe they dont like that KOTO fellow any more.

post-2109-0-27954900-1377148607_thumb.jp

One for all us tree huggers...there are still some left but for how long ???

post-2109-0-35610300-1377148553_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

Couple nights ago I walked the Promenade front Soi 8 and Central at about 9.30 PM. Nice easy walking there now though a bit strange to be able to see unimpeded so far down the well-lit pathway !! Security - security LOL

Past Central going south there was a pack of Coconuts sitting on a pallet of bricks stored along the new lane in front of the stairs going down to the sand.

It's also there that I took a picture looking down the Promenade as at that stairs area the camera view was more open.

One of the girls on the pallet objected violently at seemingly being included collaterally in the picture (there was a flash), threw her shoe at me and made for assaulting me.

Ugly scene. I stopped taking pictures and left the Promenade to go back to my favorite happy Soi 7.

Be warned. No night pictures of the Promenade if it includes Coconuts and since they're all over, good luck !!

Actually I just wanted to contribute to this thread. Otherwise the last time I took night pictures on the (old) Promenade they were of my then TGF.two years ago.

theres a bunch of ladyboy pickpocketers op soi 10 at the moment, they often attack people and I noticed last night that a huge one has arrived that stomps up and down yelling at people, recently released from prison I imagine, I recommend the other side of the road at that spot, the rest is ok, the tourist police dont seem to have realized yet that the footpath is back but I guess observation isnt their strong point

Edited by wwex

I too drove to the end of Jomtien beach this morning, here's a few snaps of the "progress"

attachicon.gifIMG_0993 (Medium).JPG

Wreking crew in action.

attachicon.gifIMG_1019 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1012 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1008 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1015 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1024 (Medium).JPG

Thanks for posting. I am guessing that the development in south Jomtien is going to extend north until the pathway ends. Why? Maybe somebody has a concession to plant palm trees (same person/company that is doing the damage in Pattaya). Who knows for sure, but money is usually behind idiotic development schemes. When I first came here in the mid-80s, one thing that really impressed me was the special beach area with all of its shade trees. I had been to lots o beaches in the world and had never seen anything similar--large, old-growth trees lining the beach for miles. And what do Thais do in the name of "progress:" They cut down the trees that have made the place so special. It will take 40, 50, 60 years to replace what they are presently destroying. I hope they do not extend the madness all the way to the waters edge. In addition to providing shade, the remaining trees are extremely valuable in terms of preventing beach erosion.

attachicon.gifIMG_0993 (Medium).JPG

Wreking crew in action.

attachicon.gifIMG_1019 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1012 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1008 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1015 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1024 (Medium).JPG

I reckon a separate 'Cutting Down the Jomtien Beach Shade Trees' thread needs starting as this thread is big enough reporting and debating ONLY the Beach Road improvements.

There's only a few pics of the cutting on Jomtien with one showing a crane but no indication that it's the Nong Nuch contractors that are doing a very well advertised and organised job on Beach Road.

theres a bunch of ladyboy pickpocketers op soi 10 at the moment, they often attack people and I noticed last night that a huge one has arrived that stomps up and down yelling at people, recently released from prison I imagine, I recommend the other side of the road at that spot, the rest is ok, the tourist police dont seem to have realized yet that the footpath is back but I guess observation isnt their strong point

So much for the "security" that some have been going on about as a reason for removing the trees.

It's pointless having "security" if no one does anything about the problem, and we know that in Pattaya nothing will happen, other than an occasional "roundup" to extract some baht before sending them back to the same place.

Seen it many many times over the years.

I think this last part isnt going to work out too well, its actually made the path narrower from Mikes south. Its going to be very crowded and right next to all the car fumes from the traffic jam.

and just a community notice while here and on the topic of the beach path, watch out for the very rotund lady that lives with the baby under the tree op soi 10, she has a tendency to thow bricks at people, caught me off guard last night

Edited by wwex

So much for the "security" that some have been going on about as a reason for removing the trees.

It's pointless having "security" if no one does anything about the problem, and we know that in Pattaya nothing will happen, other than an occasional "roundup" to extract some baht before sending them back to the same place.

Seen it many many times over the years.

apparently the cams go to the council office and the police have no direct access to them

I do not have the time, but I wish someone would take some snap shots of the "Wongamat Beach" walkway that was constructed about 8 years ago from the north side of the Dusit down to the old apartment called "Siam Penthouse". Very disturbing to see such a nice walkway be eroded away with no NO!! upkeep what so ever. Part of the problem was that the "experts" (not) didn't consider the high tide; thus, the waves gradually eroded the walkway away. I remember when the lights worked along this promenade, but that lasted only 6 months. This project must have cost thousands of dollars but not one baht spent on upkeep. Now it is an ugly eye sore. ---So I do not care how nice the new promenade along Beach Road looks now, if the city does not budget money for upkeep, then it will also look like cr@p in a couple years. As I walk along the new promenade across from the Holiday Inn up to the Dusit (supposedly finished) there are some fine details (Ioose brick) that needs to be taken care of, but I imagine it will be ignored. Sorry, my judgement is based on a 9 year observation while living here -(I work here, I am not choosing this place to retire at).

Curious: This forum is made up of mostly farangs who live here and are concerned about their community. Do the Thais ever voice their opinion to city hall about how things are run? ..or are they afraid to be "bullied" by the mob or shot? My Thai friends tell me they would never go to city hall to complain.

Curious: This forum is made up of mostly farangs who live here and are concerned about their community. Do the Thais ever voice their opinion to city hall about how things are run? ..or are they afraid to be "bullied" by the mob or shot? My Thai friends tell me they would never go to city hall to complain.

To be honest, I know a few long term Thai residents. Mostly they don't care about beach road or the new promenade. It's like the old mai pen rai attitude, what will be will be. They say complain for what? they do what they want anyway, not listen us. Then when they do want to sit on the beach they go to Jomtien anyway.

I do not have the time, but I wish someone would take some snap shots of the "Wongamat Beach" walkway that was constructed about 8 years ago from the north side of the Dusit down to the old apartment called "Siam Penthouse". Very disturbing to see such a nice walkway be eroded away with no NO!! upkeep what so ever. Part of the problem was that the "experts" (not) didn't consider the high tide; thus, the waves gradually eroded the walkway away. I remember when the lights worked along this promenade, but that lasted only 6 months. This project must have cost thousands of dollars but not one baht spent on upkeep. Now it is an ugly eye sore. ---So I do not care how nice the new promenade along Beach Road looks now, if the city does not budget money for upkeep, then it will also look like cr@p in a couple years. As I walk along the new promenade across from the Holiday Inn up to the Dusit (supposedly finished) there are some fine details (Ioose brick) that needs to be taken care of, but I imagine it will be ignored. Sorry, my judgement is based on a 9 year observation while living here -(I work here, I am not choosing this place to retire at).

I live in a town near Chiang Mai and the infrastructure is completely rubbish ( being polite ). If it were that bad in Pattaya there would be an uproar, but no Thai will make a fuss here, so they get what they pay for ( nudge nudge ), I guess.

Almost no farangs live here, so there is no protest, and nothing will change.

I live in a town near Chiang Mai and the infrastructure is completely rubbish ( being polite ). If it were that bad in Pattaya there would be an uproar, but no Thai will make a fuss here, so they get what they pay for ( nudge nudge ), I guess.

Almost no farangs live here, so there is no protest, and nothing will change.

Thais in general think we Westerners complain when we are really demanding better service or pointing out how something can be improved. Maybe this is why Thailand doesn't have everything "perfected"- it isn't in their nature to point faults or how something is being done wrong. Reminds me how the audio didn' work on a treadmill at my gym. Thais go to the gym also. A whole month passed by without the fitness crew knowing about the defect until I mentioned it to them, "Hey, you know number 5 treadmill screen's audio isn't working?" They didn't know. I was the first one to complain tell them.

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed
  • Like 1

I've not followed this story but I was down there yesterday and was pleasantly suprised how clean and more spacious it all looked so it's a thumbs up for me.

Those that are complaining about the lack of shade I say so what? Who in their right mind walks along Pattaya beach front anyay? I've never done it and never will.

I've not followed this story but I was down there yesterday and was pleasantly suprised how clean and more spacious it all looked so it's a thumbs up for me.

Those that are complaining about the lack of shade I say so what? Who in their right mind walks along Pattaya beach front anyay? I've never done it and never will.

Well thank you very much, I like to walk there for exercise, lock the bike and then start walking and go back and pick up my bike.

Now not so good anymore on a sunny day due to the lacking shade so I only walk when clouded, it's kind of sad.

Anybody knows a nice place for walking around Pattaya? not interested in gyms.

As a temporally solution I walk around in our village after sun set but much nicer to take in the beach scenery.

Well thank you very much, I like to walk there for exercise, lock the bike and then start walking and go back and pick up my bike.

Now not so good anymore on a sunny day due to the lacking shade so I only walk when clouded, it's kind of sad.

Anybody knows a nice place for walking around Pattaya? not interested in gyms.

As a temporally solution I walk around in our village after sun set but much nicer to take in the beach scenery.

Don't get me wrong I like walking but I find it too hot here...but yes a walk down there is ok for that purpose, but lets face it it's hardly somewhere to take a nice stroll or to take the kids is it, dirty foul place with the dregs of the earth inhabiting the place...but hopefully that is going to change....

Don't get me wrong I like walking but I find it too hot here...but yes a walk down there is ok for that purpose, but lets face it it's hardly somewhere to take a nice stroll or to take the kids is it, dirty foul place with the dregs of the earth inhabiting the place...but hopefully that is going to change....

Why not taking the kids? We often take our boy there for a stroll along the Beach Road like thousand other parents

and sometimes go to Central for some food and the kids play grounds on 3rd floor.

It used to be one of the coolest places in Pattaya during daytime with the breeze coming in and walking in shade , but not anymoresad.png,

Two posts with altered quotes have been removed.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

The things I like about the new walkway are:

1. Smooth walkable surface and I dont stumble like before.

2. Walkable surface with no pools of water and mud.

3. No obstacles like a bent tree jumping out in front of you.

4. When I want to sit down I discover a new watering hole across the road.

Edited by threelegcowboy